• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I remember I used to be excited at the prospect of Roose scenes, because I think Michael McElhatton plays him really well. Now I never want to see him or any of that storyline again, because they're associated with that invincible, annoying cunt Ramsay. What a horribly written character.

Nodnol

I always lurk around here, but after catching up...

No idea what should be hidden and not so I'll hide it anyway (blatantly obvious character fate follows):
Obviously Jon is alive, we all knew that, but seeing the set photo and just the IDEA of him being in Stark gear is awesome. It's about goddamn time a Stark took the offensive again. Fist pump moment? I would hope he cuts Ramsey and Roose in half.

Iksenpets

Banned
looks like a small person...

I think the cross is just large, and it makes it look small. If you compare to the people walking in the background, it looks adult sized. It's post-burning though, so I can't tell who it is. Davos and Tormund or Davos and and Mel are my best guesses now that that Rickon has been ruled out, since I guess they could be seen as Jon's closest lieutenants. Plus Tormund on a cross may be a replacement for Mance in a cage in terms of Ramsay taunting the wildlings. Davos I could see getting offed just because he has no more story with Stannis gone, but they just wanted him around for an extra season to give Jon someone to be around and to maybe reintroduce Rickon.

Iksenpets

Banned
So they know who it is but don't want to spoil it?

I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure they sit on stuff they consider too spoilery every year. They'll describe scenes, and allude to deaths, but I don't think they've ever outright been willing to say that "X character dies in this scene" or anything to that effect.

NeoGiff

Yeah, there's a very fine line between reporting on-set stuff and blatantly giving away detailed plot spoilers/pissing off HBO.

HBO has set Vinyl (new Terence Winter show) for a February 14th premiere. That means the finale of the 10 episode S1 will be on April 17th, provided there are no breaks in there. That would put the Game of Thrones S6 premiere on April 24th 2016 at the earliest as I assume they're not going to overlap the two shows.

HBO has set Vinyl (new Terence Winter show) for a February 14th premiere. That means the finale of the 10 episode S1 will be on April 17th, provided there are no breaks in there. That would put the Game of Thrones S6 premiere on April 24th 2016 at the earliest as I assume they're not going to overlap the two shows.
Is the two-hour premiere of Vinyl mean the first two episodes air that night or just that the first episode is two hours?

If it's the latter, Scorsese basically made a movie as the pilot which is awesome.

Is the two-hour premiere of Vinyl mean the first two episodes air that night or just that the first episode is two hours?

If it's the latter, Scorsese basically made a movie as the pilot which is awesome.
Ah, good point. The Vinyl PR says "a two-hour premiere, directed by Martin Scorsese." It's unclear if that's the first one or two episodes, but that seems to imply it's just one? FWIW, the Boardwalk Empire pilot has a 73 min run time. Maybe GoT S6 will air on April 17th if that first air date counts as two episodes.

Ah, good point. The Vinyl PR says "a two-hour premiere, directed by Martin Scorsese." It's unclear if that's the first one or two episodes, but that seems to imply it's just one? FWIW, the Boardwalk Empire pilot has a 73 min run time. Maybe GoT S6 will air on April 17th if that first air date counts as to episodes.
Yeah could be either one, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Iksenpets

Banned
Same, por favor.

Also, an April 24th premier would be super late, no? It's always been the first or second week of April, right?

SpiffyGriff is avoiding spoilers, he probably knows even less than we do.

That said, I would be kind of surprised if a big outdoor scene involving hundreds of extras with something on prominent display like that doesn't eventually leak out elsewhere. Some extra will decide to go say what happened on Reddit or something, same as what happened with Hardhome details last time.

NeoGiff

PM please?

Same, por favor.

Also, an April 24th premier would be super late, no? It's always been the first or second week of April, right?

SpiffyGriff is avoiding spoilers, he probably knows even less than we do.

That said, I would be kind of surprised if a big outdoor scene involving hundreds of extras with something on prominent display like that doesn't eventually leak out elsewhere. Some extra will decide to go say what happened on Reddit or something, same as what happened with Hardhome details last time.

I'm completely clueless this year (and it feels great). I'm just pointing out that this is the accepted policy. For example, last season we knew when and how Barristan died (which sucked), but revealing that would have been in bad taste.

And yeah, I'd expect something from the Northern battle to leak. There are too many variables for it to stay under wraps.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well, I guess they just gave GRRM an extra month to finish his book.

I think their bigger favor to GRRM is writing a season six that backtracks over almost all of the cut bits of Feast and Dance. Even if he doesn't get the book out in time to beat season 6, I doubt they're actually going to have ended up spoiling most of it at this pace (unless he fails to get it out before season 7 either...)

I think their bigger favor to GRRM is writing a season six that backtracks over almost all of the cut bits of Feast and Dance. Even if he doesn't get the book out in time to beat season 6, I doubt they're actually going to have ended up spoiling most of it at this pace (unless he fails to get it out before season 7 either...)

Disagree, yes they will backtrack some of it, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Sam/Oldtown, Arya/Braavos. But much of it will be all new stuff: The Wall, Winterfell, King's Landing, Meereen, Bran/Beyond the Wall, Sansa/Vale, all those plots will go beyond the end of ADWD right at the start of season 6.

Plus even in the on plots I mentioned where there is backtracing, I expect all of those to progress beyond what's in the books and some of it resolved before the season ends, which means many of the dangling threads left by ADWD to be resolved by TWOW will be resolved by the end of season 6.

So no, if Martin doesn't want many of his reveals in TWOW to be spoiled, he needs to get the book out before Season 6.

Ian McElhinney reasonably salty about his characters death:

"Truthfully, miffed. But I knew before I even saw the script because I got the schedule. Unfortunately I’d read the books, so I had expectations for season five."

“If I’m honest, I was a bit disapointed by that. I felt I should have known, it wouldn’t have made any difference but I felt that as a matter of just courtesy, I should have known,” he said. “I was disappointed because I had enjoyed playing the part and I was looking forward to getting more meat in the part and I had to dared to presume that I would at least go into season six.”

“So be it. The deed is done and I’m on to other things and that’s that,”

Ian McElhinney reasonably salty about his characters death:

"Truthfully, miffed. But I knew before I even saw the script because I got the schedule. Unfortunately I’d read the books, so I had expectations for season five."

“If I’m honest, I was a bit disapointed by that. I felt I should have known, it wouldn’t have made any difference but I felt that as a matter of just courtesy, I should have known,” he said. “I was disappointed because I had enjoyed playing the part and I was looking forward to getting more meat in the part and I had to dared to presume that I would at least go into season six.”

“So be it. The deed is done and I’m on to other things and that’s that,”

I was looking forward to him getting more screen time too. Killing him off like that was a crime.

I was looking forward to him getting more screen time too. Killing him off like that was a crime.

Well look at it this way, they basically cut the Battle of Fire out of the show. Once that decision is made, there wasn't really that much for him to do if he (as many suspect) dies in that battle. So killing him where they did is fine, the only other place would have been at the Pit. But Dany abandoning everyone right after Barristan dies for her would have looked really bad for her.

I hated losing him but I think I can give them a pass on that, budgetwise Battle of Fire was probably not very feasible.

mantidor

I had to share this :p

V4QPtJURLezYwPhUAB5w_Level-Up.gif

I haven't, but wasn't Mason at least fun to watch? Was he as awful and irritating and annoying as Ramsay?

Michael Pitt's (season 2) Verger was amazing, Joe Anderson (season 3) not so much. Couldn't get over his voice, it sounded so forced.

Still, definitely better than Show-Ramsay. Mason Verger feels a lot like book-Ramsay tbh, a lot of stress and tension whenever he appears on screen.

Michael Pitt's (season 2) Verger was amazing, Joe Anderson (season 3) not so much. Couldn't get over his voice, it sounded so forced.

Still, definitely better than Show-Ramsay. Mason Verger feels a lot like book-Ramsay tbh, a lot of stress and tension whenever he appears on screen.

I should really give Hannibal a watch. And that tension and stress is what I feel like is lost with show-Ramsay, as we've said in this thread a thousand times. Never seeing what he's done to Theon and hoping he doesn't do more does so much to make him terrifying in the books.

NeoGiff

I should really give Hannibal a watch. And that tension and stress is what I feel like is lost with show-Ramsay, as we've said in this thread a thousand times. Never seeing what he's done to Theon and hoping he doesn't do more does so much to make him terrifying in the books.

Plus, in the books he's not portrayed as a handsome, comedic relief clown.

Moff

Mayhaps.

A bunch of you have watched Hannibal right?

I haven't, but wasn't Mason at least fun to watch? Was he as awful and irritating and annoying as Ramsay?

this article isn't about the worst character as in quality but as in being evil.

Michael Pitt was a fantastic Mason Verger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom