• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sorry if this is a dumb question or I missed it but can someone explain why there are only four people hanged for killing Jon when six stabbed him?

Jon, like us, only knows 6 other Brother's by name. We're lucky he included the other 2.

SpaceHorror

So does anyone think D&D will actually have Kevan do something positive for the stability of King's Landing that will make his likely death have more impact?

Or is he just going to sit at the Small Council table all season and bitch about Cersei and Jaime coming in?

Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight weekly video feature:

- Does that handsome falcon on Game Of Thrones remind you of anyone?
John and Gus focus this week on some of the smaller choices in “Book Of The Stranger,” starting with something as seemingly inconsequential as the snowfall in this episode’s Stark family reunion. John also continues a discussion of staging choices that accentuate the tactics of the show’s most manipulative characters, and he notes that Littlefinger might have had a certain tough guy in mind when he bought that falcon for little Lord Arryn.

Game Of Thrones Polite Fight wouldn’t be complete without John’s least favorite segment, where we talk about Ramsay. And Daenerys’ rebirth moment briefly comes up for consideration, too.

So does anyone think D&D will actually have Kevan do something positive for the stability of King's Landing that will make his likely death have more impact?

Or is he just going to sit at the Small Council table all season and bitch about Cersei and Jaime coming in?

I'm half expecting that this showdown with the Faith will go tits up leading to Cersei well and truly getting the boot from any sort of decision making process. Kevan will step up for a while and start putting his Tywin-shaped foot down and then Ramsay will pop out of a closet in the Tower of the Hand and kill him.

I wish Bronn at least had his background shenanigans from the books. I loved it when Cersei wanted that knight to discreetly kill Bronn and he challenges him to a duel instead.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
He's a great character though. Hope they find a way to make him useful. Always loved his personality/fight scenes.
I'm thinking he returns if Jamie goes to the Riverlands...maybe he will die there as a casualty if they do Red Wedding 2.

Patriots7

I don't get why Sansa should be mad at Littlefinger in the show. She voluntarily chose to marry Ramsay after all he said was "revenge them."

Gigglepoo

I don't get why Sansa should be mad at Littlefinger in the show. She voluntarily chose to marry Ramsay after all he said was "revenge them."

She had no idea what situation was she being lead into. Littlefinger knew who Ramsay was. It would break her character if she wasn't pissed.

I feel like these videos mostly just repeat what happened in the episode, not that much analysis. Still pretty good.

I hear you. I really like his videos but prefer Preston Jacob's stuff. He makes me think about the story and characters more than anyone else, except maybe Radio Westeros.

mantidor

She had no idea what situation was she being lead into. Littlefinger knew who Ramsay was. It would break her character if she wasn't pissed.

Apparently Little finger didn't, there is this conversation in the crypts when Littlefinger tells her to seduce him and manipulate him assuming Ramsay is going to be more like Tommen and less like invincible Jeoffrey, and there is this scene where Ramsay says to Littlefinger he would never harm Sansa.

It's still kind of dumb Littlefinger didn't know. I remember they very publicly hanged flayed bodies in Winterfell. (Preview)
However Sansa assuming Littlefinger knew and didn't care is an expected conclusion, she knows the kind of man he is.

It's ridiculous to think that a person as connected as Littlefinger is wouldn't know who Ramsay was, or even simply the reputation of the Boltons. If that's truly the show's excuse, then it's just one more example of terrible writing.

I agree it's stupid that he wouldn't know, but it's also pretty stupid for him to put Sansa there and leave if he did know about Ramsay. Just lame for the character either way.

Gigglepoo

I agree it's stupid that he wouldn't know, but it's also pretty stupid for him to put Sansa there and leave if he did know about Ramsay. Just lame for the character either way.

If his plan was to leave Sansa at Winterfell so he could invade the North with the Knights of the Vale then... maybe? But it's still really cruel and I doubt he would use Sansa as bait considering his love for Cat.

Jayof9s

I wonder if they address this or just say fuck it and that everything happens at the same time. Actually if we will really think about it, the only thing that could have taken a lot of time would be Theon's journey.

Honestly I really wish they would just say something about the other characters that would give a basis in time.

They won't address it. They are always vague about timelines for that very reason.

That said, I don't think it's safe to assume that just because the night's watch scenes happened within a few days that other events happened in that same time frame. Different locations are not necessarily shown in chronological order (compared to other areas), as hard as that can make it to follow when various events in say Dorne happen in relation to events in Mereen or King's Landing.

For instance, the scenes in the Vale probably happened weeks earlier, which is why the army will already be in the north soon (I assume).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Interesting to see Jack Bender is doing the next 2 episodes. He did most of the important episodes of Lost.

Apparently Little finger didn't, there is this conversation in the crypts when Littlefinger tells her to seduce him and manipulate him assuming Ramsay is going to be more like Tommen and less like invincible Jeoffrey, and there is this scene where Ramsay says to Littlefinger he would never harm Sansa.

It's still kind of dumb Littlefinger didn't know. I remember they very publicly hanged flayed bodies in Winterfell. (Preview)
However Sansa assuming Littlefinger knew and didn't care is an expected conclusion, she knows the kind of man he is.

Littlefinger didn't know because that's what the plot demanded. It's another case of nonsensical plotting that puts full emphasis on the end over the means.

Ramsay flayed an entire northern house last year. The idea that LF wouldn't know he's a monster and could ruin his prized possession is laughable.

More from Sackheim on directing the last two episodes:

- TechInsider: Sunday’s 'Game of Thrones' director was surprised by fan reactions to this brief character interaction
We asked him what he thought about viewer's "shipping" Tormund and Brienne.

"Honestly, I'm surprised anyone even noticed," Sackheim told TI. "I mean it was meant to be a little grace note, and the fact that it’s blown up with the buzz it has on the internet and on the blogosphere is kind of shocking to me."
- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Director on Giving New Life to Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen
Overall, what are your takeaways from filming these two episodes, and working on Game of Thrones?

I feel pretty great, to be honest with you. It was a great experience working on the show. It was a great experience working with Dan and David. What a talented group of actors. Also, just in terms of the finished work — after I leave and move onto other projects — it's the post-production, visual effects, the music, just all of those people are on top of their game. They do such a spectacular job. … [Game of Thrones] doesn't operate like a traditional television series. They cross board ten episodes at one time. Everybody's prepping and shooting the series at the same time. That's why you're there for such a long time; in my case, about six months. The amount of time devoted to prep is pretty significant, much more so than what you have on a traditional series. It's honestly prepped like a movie. You don't quite shoot it like a movie — it doesn't take that much time — but the amount of time spent going over all the details is what allows you to do scenes like the burning temple and the sword fight [at the Tower of Joy]. The amount of time and resources put into it is incomparable with respect to any other television series I've ever done.
That's crazy for two hour-long episodes.

It's ridiculous to think that a person as connected as Littlefinger is wouldn't know who Ramsay was, or even simply the reputation of the Boltons. If that's truly the show's excuse, then it's just one more example of terrible writing.

Littlefinger didn't know because that's what the plot demanded. It's another case of nonsensical plotting that puts full emphasis on the end over the means.

Ramsay flayed an entire northern house last year. The idea that LF wouldn't know he's a monster and could ruin his prized possession is laughable.

Even Roose couldn't foresee Ramsay gutting him, it's entirely reasonable that LF (not being omniscient) fucked up this one time and didn't know Ramsay would go all torture rape on Sansa and that he might treat her better given she was key to the North (and not some rival enemy or servant).

Yeah, that surprised me. I thought they were laying it on awfully thick, and people will run with just about anything these days.
It was definitely pretty obvious on the show but even if it wasn't the internet would go nuts with it. It's basically BAU as far as big pop culture shows.

Weren't people shipping them before the recent episode?
Wouldn't be surprised, there's a tumblr for everything these days.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, that surprised me. I thought they were laying it on awfully thick, and people will run with just about anything these days.
It probably has to do with the fact that almost every second of every plot is moving the show forward. There's almost no room for it to breathe, therefor when someone like Tormund having a geninue surprise reaction of a woman like Brienne, it can only mean those two are getting together.

Honestly I wonder if Brienne and Jamie are ever going to get back to their plot in the Riverlands. Both of their character developments have gone on side missions for the past few seasons. Sure Brienne was supposed to be searching for Sansa...she wasn't supposed to actually find her though, it was just an excuse to explore the countryside before having her meeting with Lady Stoneheart.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's possible Littlefinger knew about Ramsey but still wouldn't expect him to hurt Sansa. If you aren't a viewer and privy to Ramsey being... well, Ramsey, you could easily see Ramsey as being ruthless to his enemies but still have a enough common sense to treat his bride and "key to the north" gently. And Ramsey can fake it when needed so there's no reason for most people to view him as Joffery 2.0 (until this season that is. Cat's obviously thrown off the bridge now). Littlefinger just overestimated Ramsey's common sense or perhaps underestimated Roose's control over him.

And that was always going to be Littlefinger's weakness. For someone who talks about chaos being a ladder, he still relies upon manipulating people. So his plans were always going to falter once he started dealing with people who are pure chaos or can't be reasoned with (Ex. Ramsey or the White Walkers)

bitbydeath

So what are our bets on the **shocking!!** death of the season? I don't see Jon losing or dying, though that would certainly be shocking, maybe Rikon's torture? or Sansa/Brienne/Podrick dying maybe.

I think the Wall collapsing and all the crows being killed will be the big ending.

Faddy

Banned

Isn't it unbelievable that Littlefinger knows everything about everyone?

He does know one thing about the situation. The Boltons are going to use Sansa to legitimise their claim on the North, this will require a baby or two. It gives him at least 9 months for Stannis to take Winterfell or him to arrive with the Vale forces.

grandjedi6

There's not a single door!
Most of season 6's episode titles have been nonsense so far. I guess without book lines or locales to reference, they're just picking out phrases from the episode at random.

*knock knock*

Sansa: "oh, someone's here! Brienne, can you get THE DOOR for me?"

Gigglepoo

Most of season 6's episode titles have been nonsense so far. I guess without book lines or locales to reference, they're just picking out phrases from the episode at random.

There have been some great ones as well. Oathbreaker tied into every scene in that episode and we saw a few plays on the meaning of Book of the Stranger (Dany leading the Khals to death, Yara not recognizing Theon). The titles that annoy me are the ones that relate to one character/scene like Red Woman. Or that Home crap that felt like no one could think of a better name.

From what I remember, Littlefinger didn't know about Ramsay's craziness which is really poor writing. Just endorsing what people said in this thread.

Anyway, I doubt Sansa would forgive him after what Ramsay did to her. I hope it's just D&D screwing their plot and GRRM has a better idea.

grandjedi6

There have been some great ones as well. Oathbreaker tied into every scene in that episode and we saw a few plays on the meaning of Book of the Stranger (Dany leading the Khals to death, Yara not recognizing Theon). The titles that annoy me are the ones that relate to one character/scene like Red Woman. Or that Home crap that felt like no one could think of a better name.
Oathbreaker is the good one this season. I didn't like Book of the Stranger though. Margy name dropping it seemed pointless outside of giving the title something to reference and almost every episode involves people dying so the title could have been used for any episode just as effectively.

Home is by far the worst though. Its main reference was from Theon and even that was bad since everyone immediately thought it was misleading and meant Winterfell. Actually, Book of the Stranger and Home would've worked better if they switched episodes. Last episode involved Theon returning home, Sansa and Jon discussing returning home, Jorah and Daario trying to bring Dany "home" and technically even Rickon was now "home". Meanwhile, Jon's resurrection would have made Book of the Stranger feel more special rather than being for episode 54 of "someone dies tonight".

Kozak

Banned
Yeah lol if they try to push Littlefinger not knowing about Ramsay I'm just going to assume Littlefinger is lying to win Sansa back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom