• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that concerned about the show spoiling last two or three books (lol) I didn't start reading them until I binged the first two seasons and was part way into season three and then I didn't finish the last one until a few months before season four started. I enjoyed reading the books, especially after the first one because of how much they diverged and the depth they had opposed to the show where you can't really get into the character's heads. They did however skew my perception of the show due to knowing what the show was missing and questionable decisions/liberties taken with the adaptation. That said, I welcomed AFFC and ADWD being condensed mostly into one season, I just wish the execution was better, especially with Dorne which like the Iron Isles I didn't even care that much for in the books but the way the show did it was just dreadful and made me appreciate the Dorne chapters more than I did while reading them and skipping ahead to see how many pages of the chapter were left until I could get back to a character I actually cared about.

See ya next week! Book readers like you always come back (see Linda). You can't resist...stop declaring like this is actually something important that we need to know about. 🙂

Linda doesn't have a choice, watching Game of Thrones is part of her job. Elio on the other hand seems to have stuck with it as far as I can tell by the lack of mention of him here.

takriel

I don't understand book readers who are afraid of being spoiled by the show in regards to future books, and, or, are mad at the show for being different. Thinking about it logically you're in almost exactly the sams position you were before.

Book first reader (before show surpasses books): generally knows what's going to happen in the show, but accepts the show may condense plot and characters.

Book first reader (after show surpasses books): generally knows what's going to happen in future books but accepts the books will expand on the shows version of plot and characters, and knows that literature is often more nuanced.

In both instances we aware of spoilers and as book readers it is highly likely the book will be better than the show...

I mean you can be upset at the plot and all the changes made but being upset solely because it spoils the books seems silly and even a bit hypocritical. I dunno.

Also, if you're like me you generally accept the book and show as completely separate things. The show is like the alternative time line of the books. Which means its easy to accept changes because while there may be a lot the same in both timelines, they're inevitably a lot different.

All that said, the iron borne and dorne in the show is just unforgivable

What? The clear difference is that before, book readers couldn't get spoiled by watching the show. Now they get spoiled. So it's perfectly fine not wanting to watch the show until the next book releases.

hoos30

realistically none of these shows are really offering competition to game of thrones in the public consciousness or ratings but i definitely think black sails and penny dreadful are stronger.

black sails' approach to the political scheming/dialogue and the charisma of their characters is something that even peak game of thrones never reached imo.

they really had a lot of potential in the iron islands and dorne but they shitted up the latter region and the former is kind of coming out like a whimper. Euron could have been a crazy popular character....

anyways i'm glad it's gotten entertaining again though. season 5 was such a bore at times and this is just so much more fun to watch episode to episode.
The problem with Black Sails is that I've never met another person IRL who actually watches that show. Season 1 was painfully slow and without character motivation so it is hard to evangelize for it (Watch the first 12 episodes, then it gets really great!) That is a lot to ask.

I'm actually enjoying the show spoiling the books. I'm so over waiting for them. In fact the only thing that concerns me is that GRRM totally seems like the type to completely change what he had in mind and had set up specifically because the show did it already.

Ishan

There's more than a few valid criticisms to be thrown at the show but Season 1 is legitimately great and there's been some positive things to take notice of since then(Theon S2, Jaime S3, Red Wedding, most of S4, Hardhome). It's been mostly entertaining, sometimes bad and occasionally offensive.

Check out Fargo, Penny Dreadful, The Knick and Better Call Saul.

There's also the recently axed Hannibal.

I've heard The Americans is great but I haven't checked it out yet.

Penny Dreadful has Lyle. An effective counter the Mace's own magnificence.
Fargo s1 is awesome 2 was so slow I gave up 2-3 episodes in . Haven't seen penny or knick. Better call is slow unless you are invested from breaking bad . And that show while amazing also took some time to take off . I saw four episodes gave up on it (breaking bad) then saw a few episodes of season 5 then binge watched it all in time for that epic ending . But it started slow . Got compared to books is one thing but it's a great show compared to shows .

Moff

I've never considered the show to be particularly good, but I liked to watch it anyway just to see how they handled the adaptation of the novels - see what parts of the material they included, what they left out, what their interpretations of the characters were like, who was cast, etc. but now that they're past the books, the main appeal of the series is gone for me. Some of the stuff this season may be/definitely is from future books, but it's all meaningless to me since I haven't read them yet and the show isn't good enough on its own to weather the barrage of book spoilers that are coming.

I thought about quitting after last season but I thought I could stick it out another season before things got too spoilery, but as it turns out, last week's episode was a little too much for me, so I've decided to bow out of the show until the book series is finished
in 16-28 years
. See ya GoT GaF~

I'm surprised you even watched this season, if I remember correctly you asked after every episode last year if there were book spoilers. there certainly were some in this season.

I do agree that the appeal of the show is different now, but I like it, it's exciting to see what happens next and I am very glad this season is much better than the last, not only because I enjoy the show again, but because it also gives me hope that TWOW will be a lot better than AFFC/ADWD as well.

Astral Dog

I'm enjoying it, last week's bottle episode was great, Eva Green is a force of nature.

I find the show gets a lot of good will from me, even when it's kind of boring and the characters are saying some overwrought shit, the style and atmosphere and everything are still great. I think can forgive something for a lot if it has a pretty cohesive vision of what it is, while something like GoT is stepping more and more into generic fantasy for me and the level of the writing isn't enough to save it.
It just got a little repetitive this season, poor Vanessa :( lame twist with Dracula too and the Ethan parts are a bit boring.love love the characters and setting.

True GoT got worse after almost all the political drama died out(literally).the heart were the characters and twists. But at least this season has been better than the last, more entertaining still worth the ride :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Probably been talked about before, but do people here think Sansa was dumb for rejecting Littlefinger's offer to take Winterfell? I could see Sansa using him and even possibly in the long term cozy up to Robin, maybe having Baelish killed to make it easier.

Sean C

Probably been talked about before, but do people here think Sansa was dumb for rejecting Littlefinger's offer to take Winterfell? I could see Sansa using him and even possibly in the long term cozy up to Robin, maybe having Baelish killed to make it easier.
It wasn't the most logical thing to do, but per the Inside the Episode that whole exchange is meant to show that Sansa is a good player now because she's considering making use of him later or something.

Basically, the writers can't let her accept his help yet, because it would remove any drama from the plot. But they also don't want to frame it as her making a mistake by doing so, even though when you think about it it makes much more sense to either pretend to still be friendly toward him to get his help, or kill him and tell the Valemen that the Boltons did it.

dabig2

It wasn't the most logical thing to do, but per the Inside the Episode that whole exchange is meant to show that Sansa is a good player now because she's considering making use of him later or something.

Basically, the writers can't let her accept his help yet, because it would remove any drama from the plot. But they also don't want to frame it as her making a mistake by doing so, even though when you think about it it makes much more sense to either pretend to still be friendly toward him to get his help, or kill him and tell the Valemen that the Boltons did it.

Yeah. They are obviously setting her up for her 'Stannis saving the NW out of nowhere' moment for the battle of winterfell. Can't have that moment when she accepts the Vale's help right off the bat. Makes for a boring epic battle when the antagonist side gets crushed immediately.

Lothar

Banned

They really want her to be seen as a good player in the scene where she gets manipulated by LF into not trusting and lying to Jon? And where she does exactly what LF tells her to do in seeking out the Blackfish? I can't imagine he's telling her that to help her. So it'll probably be some sort of trap she's falling into.

She's the same naive Sansa she was at the beginning of Season 5.

Iksenpets

Banned

This is a really dumb, pointless observation I had about the episode titles, but I really feel like Book of the Stranger was written to be titled Come and See, but they chickened out and were worried that people would see the Pink Letter reference before Jon's resurrection aired and people would figure it out. Littlefinger even says the line to Robin when he gives him the falcon, and come and see fits the final scene with Dany way better than some vague reference to death via the Stranger. I don't know why this bothers me so much.

Azzanadra

Fargo s1 is awesome 2 was so slow I gave up 2-3 episodes in . Haven't seen penny or knick. Better call is slow unless you are invested from breaking bad . And that show while amazing also took some time to take off . I saw four episodes gave up on it (breaking bad) then saw a few episodes of season 5 then binge watched it all in time for that epic ending . But it started slow . Got compared to books is one thing but it's a great show compared to shows .

I would say even compared to other shows GoT is just meh. I think with GoT people get just so taken away by the scope and the grandness of it all that they ignore the legitimately bad writing. These days, the only plot lines that I find to be actually "good" is anything related to the wall or the north in general... everything else is terrible to mediocre.

Except season 1, that season is one of my favorite TV seasons of anything. Its a shame the show declined so much in quality as it did.

Also in the end I am kind of glad GoT became as stupid as it did. It appeals the the lowest common denominator meaning its extremely popular now, guaranteeing the shows continued existence (mediocre adaption better than no adaption) and also that means HBO execs will shovel more money at it, implying a higher chance for the stuff I want to see on screen (like the big battles).

Speevy

Banned
Also in the end I am kind of glad GoT became as stupid as it did. .

I wouldn't characterize it as stupid, just past its expiration date. Other shows don't have to contend with having the threads of an intricately woven book unravel with one bad season. It's a show that's doubly accountable and manages to keep critics and most viewers happy. That's all TV execs care about.

Speevy

Banned
I find it funny that the main argument the iron islanders have against Yara is that she's a woman. They then proudly support the man who wants to support the claim of a female ruler who more than likely wouldn't name him king.

Kalnos

Banned
I find it funny that the main argument the iron islanders have against Yara is that she's a woman. They then proudly support the man who wants to support the claim of a female ruler who more than likely wouldn't name him king.

He also 'paid the iron price' which means a lot to dumb ironborn.

Jigorath

Banned

To be fair, Yara's argument was pretty poor. At least Euron had a plan for the Iron Islands, not a very good one but hey, it's something. Yara wanted to make the Iron Islands great again but didn't share any specifics as to how.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
He also 'paid the iron price' which means a lot to dumb ironborn.
I don't remember them focusing so heavily on her being female in the book. Then again you had Victarion eyeing the seat, so her chances were pretty bad from the start.
To be fair, Yara's argument was pretty poor. At least Euron had a plan for the Iron Islands, not a very good one but hey, it's something. Yara wanted to make the Iron Islands great again but didn't share any specifics as to how.
This too. Also Euron doesn't come across as a mad man in the show. Balon did mention him being tied to his ship during a storm, but we're not seeing blue lips and a muted crew.

Kingsmoot had some real logic flaws. I do think Euron was right that Balon lead them into two wars they couldn't win. Even if Robert was early in his reign, there was no chance the Iron Islands could maintain autonomy in the long term. Then again, Yara was right that the main land doesn't take them seriously. It's not like after Robb was killed the crown attacked to ensure they stayed in line.

I'm not sure why but Euron's plan seems more feasible in the show than I recall in the book. Maybe it's the missing dragon horn. Bedding Danny doesn't, but bringing her a huge fleet to win her favor does. I don't think that necessarily means Euron will be a king if Danny took the throne.

I'm not sure why but Euron's plan seems more feasible in the show than I recall in the book. Maybe it's the missing dragon horn. Bedding Danny doesn't, but bringing her a huge fleet to win her favor does. I don't think that necessarily means Euron will be a king if Danny took the throne.

I mean he's basically doing that anyway by sending Euron & the Iron Fleet to Dany. Granted there's only about 60 of them, but the idea of the IB building 1000 ships is daft as fuck anyway. Even if they have the resources I doubt the Iron Born have the numbers to operate 1000 ships, not unless Euron's having them build canoes.

Euron

I mean he's basically doing that anyway by sending Euron & the Iron Fleet to Dany. Granted there's only about 60 of them, but the idea of the IB building 1000 ships is daft as fuck anyway. Even if they have the resources I doubt the Iron Born have the numbers to operate 1000 ships, not unless Euron's having them build canoes.
With the combined power of 20 good (Iron) men, building 1000 good ships is a possible task.

Speevy

Banned
Season 6 trailer speculation

What does everyone think about the flaying posts now that we know it's not Roose or Walda?

I'm thinking it has to be two Stark loyal house heads.

mantidor

Season 6 trailer speculation

What does everyone think about the flaying posts now that we know it's not Roose or Walda?

I'm thinking it has to be two Stark loyal house heads.

Filming location leaks:
apparently the flayed corpses at the crosses are characters we know, that's why people speculate Roose, Walda, even Davos and Tormund, with the latest trailers though it can't be any of these. Apparently Rickon was also out, so that leaves us.... I don't know, Brienne?

Sean C

They really want her to be seen as a good player in the scene where she gets manipulated by LF into not trusting and lying to Jon? And where she does exactly what LF tells her to do in seeking out the Blackfish? I can't imagine he's telling her that to help her. So it'll probably be some sort of trap she's falling into.
Quoth David Benioff: "Sansa's gotten pretty good at playing the game...I think it goes through her mind how satisfying it would be to see Brienne just cut him in two right here. But she doesn't, and that she doesn't is an interesting quality of Sansa's, that she's started to look a couple of moves ahead to think 'is it possible this person will be more useful to me alive than dead?'"

They also comment that the same scene indicates Littlefinger still has a hold on her, and has influenced her way of thinking.

HMD

When is the episode airing in the US? Just subscribed to an on-demand service that get the episodes an hour after you guys.

Filming location leaks:
apparently the flayed corpses at the crosses are characters we know, that's why people speculate Roose, Walda, even Davos and Tormund, with the latest trailers though it can't be any of these. Apparently Rickon was also out, so that leaves us.... I don't know, Brienne?

More recent leaks say the exact opposite. That the people on the crosses where not established characters.

Azzanadra

More recent leaks say the exact opposite. That the people on the crosses where not established characters.

I always thought one of them might be Stannis, Roose implied they had the body in the first episode, and knowing Ramsay its right up his alley to show off his military prowess.

In the books though, I think Stannis will win the battle of Winterfell, only to lose later on to Aegon or Dany. I feel like the show just wanted to end his storyline to make way for new characters and make Jon the hero to save the day. Kind of a shame, Stannis was (is?) my favorite character in the entire series, and it was grating how D&D thought of him as some bad guy despite Dillane's great performance.

Massa

I always thought one of them might be Stannis, Roose implied they had the body in the first episode, and knowing Ramsay its right up his alley to show off his military prowess.

In the books though, I think Stannis will win the battle of Winterfell, only to lose later on to Aegon or Dany. I feel like the show just wanted to end his storyline to make way for new characters and make Jon the hero to save the day. Kind of a shame, Stannis was (is?) my favorite character in the entire series, and it was grating how D&D thought of him as some bad guy despite Dillane's great performance.

The problem with that theory is that Stannis winning leaves Jon with not much to do. With a Bolton victory he can do what he's doing in the show, rally the North around him. And there he should be pretty well positioned for book 7.

I used to agree with that point about D&D on Stannis until last season. Stannis always had good (Davos) versus bad (Mel) around him, and it always seemed like the show leaned towards Mel while the books were going towards Davos. Now that we know Shireen's fate though, I think the show was leaning towards Mel because D&D knew that story didn't have a happy ending. Knowing his fate probably colored their portrayal of him.

It will probably be a couple of lords Jon will try to rally to his side only for Ramsay to find out. Ramsay will try to intimidate the lesser houses into abandoning Jon. As Davos said nobody wants to see his loved ones flayed fighting for a lost cause

Corpekata

Banned
They're going to keep her around by simple economy of characters, it's hard to carry on a story with just a single character the audience knows. She'll probably stick around till at least Bran is settled somewhere next or meets up with other primary characters, even if they do run into Benjen or Coldhands or w/e.

Turin

Banned
I think Meera sticks around for a while. I don't know what purpose she has in the story but killing her seems superfluous.

I have had no enemies in this thread since its conception. No enemies. Until now.

87vmUKz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom