• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Now that Benjen has turned up that means that the Westeros hide n' seek champion is Syrio, right?

I'm still convinced he isn't dead.

If this season ends with the Lady Stoneheart twist AND confirmation of Snow's parents, the internet might not ever be the same.

Or me. This would be my reaction as the credits roll:

tumblr_lxk3n8Q9bo1qcqqpjo6_r2_250.gif

Tuck

Unfortunately, Kevan is no Tywin... FeelsBadMan

Dude just standing behind Tommen hanging on his every word when Jaime got released

I'm not even sure why Kevan is still alive.

Granted, in the books he was actually very capable at ruling, which is why Varys needed him out of the way.

In the show, not so much. Plus Varys is on the other side of the world.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not even sure why Kevan is still alive.

Granted, in the books he was actually very capable at ruling, which is why Varys needed him out of the way.

In the show, not so much. Plus Varys is on the other side of the world.

He's alive to remind the viewers how much power Cersei has lost with the death of her father.

I'm watching because I can't stand waiting for the next book.

And yes the next book will cover events in this season.

Does it upset you to not be able to read the books before watching the show?

I guess Ill never experience reading the book before the show. I am definitely enjoying the books, but I feel crummy for knowing the big events before they happen

Benjen's return sure felt anti-climactic, feels like the writers are just working down a checklist of unresolved plot points now that they don't have to follow the books as directly anymore.

Speevy

Banned
Benjen's return sure felt anti-climactic, feels like the writers are just working down a checklist of unresolved plot points now that they don't have to follow the books as directly anymore.

Next week, Gendry brings everyone 1,000 Valyrian steel swords to use on their 1,000 ships.

Was happy to see Coldhands. Was happy to see Benjen. Season of dreams.

Jaime's non-redemption is starting to bug me, though. At this point the showrunners don't care about it anymore. He'll probably get wiped when we meet the Brotherhood without Banners again.

Samwell being an idiot and stealing Heartsbane is gonna end in disaster and we all know it. Or he's gonna pull a Neville Longbottom and slay the Night King with it.

It's also pretty clear they finally decided on Night King, to differentiate him from the Night's King.

Also, Dany's speech at the end was almost as scarousing as when she turned on the Masters in season 3. Good god.

Can someone refresh my memory on the last book? Did Cersei even have a trial by combat in that? I thought she was getting sent back home or something.

Ryde3

DAM they blew the whole season's CGI budget on Drogon in episode 6 :\

Can someone tell me why budget is always discussed? Does it really have that much of an impact on the story? (ie. killing off wolves to save on budget?) Is this not one of the biggest shows ever, on one of the biggest networks?

rando14

I don't know why people keep hating on the Sam scene. I thought the new cast members killed it.

Yeah I thought it was good!! Randyll is, like in the books, a total ass :\

With Sam and Gilly BOTH leaving Horn hill (with Heartsbane) I really have no idea what to expect for Sam's story... which is definitely interesting at least!!

Can someone tell me why budget is always discussed? Does it really have that much of an impact on the story? (ie. killing off wolves to save on budget?) Is this not one of the biggest shows ever, on one of the biggest networks?

LOL I just said it tongue-in-cheek is all, no worries!!

Speevy

Banned
Can someone refresh my memory on the last book? Did Cersei even have a trial by combat in that? I thought she was getting sent back home or something.

All of this stuff is new. Cersei's walk of atonement is the last consequence she faces in the books that's also in the show.

I gotta admit that whole Dany line possibly being foreshadowing about the Iron Islands was dumb as fuck.

"How many ships do we need?"
"1000"
"Who has that many ships?"
"No one"
"Not yet. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "

*cringe*

Sai-kun

Banned
I gotta admit that whole Dany line possibly being foreshadowing about the Iron Islands was dumb as fuck.

"How many ships do we need?"
"1000"
"Who has that many ships?"
"No one"
"Not yet. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "

*cringe*

i wanted to die when she said this

that whole scene felt like something out of a mid-2000s roleplaying forum where everyone tries too hard to be the main character lmfao

Massa

haha man I just see it come up so often, I'm genuinely curious if budget actually holds back a show like this?

Production-wise I think time is their biggest problem, they need to get 10 episodes ready in an incredibly short amount of time. And the budget has increased with every season, but it's not unlimited. From a couple years ago:

"Alfie [Allen] is such a great actor, and he's so good as Theon. It was fun to see him have to go into public as Reek and pretend to be himself. And for Moat Cailin, we were totally out of money. Moat Cailin was like a joke on the show — we called it "No Cailin" because there was no money to do anything."

Is it wrong that at this point I actually WANT Dany to end up dying anti-climatically? I'm just sick of the 4+years of cock-teasing in regards to her story.

hoos30

Meta. The two threads have the opposite outlook on the last two episodes. The show thread loved last week's action and hated this week's "piece setting".

This thread likes the book nuggets that were sprinkled this week while it was not hot on last week at all.

Damerman

How does Brienne expect to get a Tyrell army past the Twins and Moat Cailin and synchronize an attack on Winterfell?
Moat cailin is for littlefinger... And the tullys succesfully took back their castle from the warden of the riverlands. Its safe to assume the twins will fall to blackfish and brienne.

Euron

Also I highly recommend checking out the summary of the new chapter GRRM read at Balticon. It is absolutely nuts and makes the show version of
Euron Greyjoy
look like a joke LIKE A JOKE
It makes it even worse that in the show, D&D have basically turned
Euron into Donald Trump.

"I killed my brother."

"Wow he sure tells it like it is. He's going to build that fleet!

Where as in the books, things have pretty much gone full Mad Max Fury Road.

Lothar

Banned
Moat cailin is for littlefinger... And the tullys succesfully took back their castle from the warden of the riverlands. Its safe to assume the twins will fall to blackfish and brienne.

Didn't Walder say he has 10x more men than Blackfish? I would assume it's almost impossible the twins would fall to blackfish.

Sansa is supposed to not trust Littlefinger, Maybe he has Bolton men at Moat Cailin.

Ryde3

Production-wise I think time is their biggest problem, they need to get 10 episodes ready in an incredibly short amount of time. And the budget has increased with every season, but it's not unlimited. From a couple years ago:

"Alfie [Allen] is such a great actor, and he's so good as Theon. It was fun to see him have to go into public as Reek and pretend to be himself. And for Moat Cailin, we were totally out of money. Moat Cailin was like a joke on the show — we called it "No Cailin" because there was no money to do anything."

Thank you for the quote! Seems like some things atleast took a hit due to money, criticism justified! haha

It makes it even worse that in the show, D&D have basically turned
Euron into Donald Trump.

"I killed my brother."

"Wow he sure tells it like it is. He's going to build that fleet!

Where as in the books, things have pretty much gone full Mad Max Fury Road.

Yeahhh that last line convinces me I should start reading the books once I'm done with Swords of Destiny (Witcher bk2)

Qurupeke

Alright episode. Not many stories, but I liked what was presented. I expected the Sam story to be boring but it was actually really neat. I can't wait to see Randyll's coup-d'etat.

I don't remember it being implied that his family was that rich, god damn.

House Tarly is one of the most powerful houses of the Reach. They're known for their military first and foremost, but to train and arm good soldiers, you need to have loadsa cash.

Obviously they're no Hightowers, but they definitely can hold their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom