• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the point of Dorne in the show?

Seriously, what was the point of Doran? I would be pissed if I was Alexander Siddig. Then again, that's probably the easiest paycheck he'll ever get.

I'm kind of rooting for Dorne and Doran in the books, but the show? Burn it all to the ground please. Doran was about the one possibly interesting character they could have delved into with Dorne but instead they kill him off and Areo Hotah gets a fork in the back that magically kills him?

The TV Sand Snakes are god awful. The sooner they're dead the better. Just terrible cartoon characters. Isn't killing your own kin one of the biggest sins across all the Seven Kingdoms? And these idiots just killed off the Martell name? Do they expect anyone to follow them into battle now or something?

Seriously, just wipe TV Dorne off the map. Oberyn was too good for this shit, they're just tainting his legacy at this point. Ugh.

Everything else was ok. Mel actually being some ancient crone was kind of expected, or at least her ruby acting as some kind of glamour. In wonder if that'll be exactly the case in the books or if the show kind of exaggerated just how much of a total old crone Mel actually is.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Honestly with Trystane being dead as well as Myrcella, at least Cersei are probably not going to be as suspicious...also who is going to be the leader of Dorne? I guess they could keep it quiet that Doran died...since they decided to change Dorne completely I am actually ok-ish with this set of plot developments.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
"We need to cross the river or we'll be found"
"But I'll die"

"Oh I'm ok"

"We're safe!"
"We're not safe. I'll distract them. Run north always north blah"
*Stands in front of them*
"She's dead"
"No she isn't, she's right there"

*Dogs disappear*

danm999

What was the point of Dorne in the show?

Seriously, what was the point of Doran? I would be pissed if I was Alexander Siddig. Then again, that's probably the easiest paycheck he'll ever get.

I'm kind of rooting for Dorne and Doran in the books, but the show? Burn it all to the ground please. Doran was about the one possibly interesting character they could have delved into with Dorne but instead they kill him off and Areo Hotah gets a fork in the back that magically kills him?

The TV Sand Snakes are god awful. The sooner they're dead the better. Just terrible cartoon characters. Isn't killing your own kin one of the biggest sins across all the Seven Kingdoms? And these idiots just killed off the Martell name? Do they expect anyone to follow them into battle now or something?

Seriously, just wipe TV Dorne off the map. Oberyn was too good for this shit, they're just tainting his legacy at this point. Ugh.

I think the Dorne stuff got lost in the lurch when it became obvious Winds of Winter wouldn't be out in time, so they did a bunch of setup that follows the books, but now have to pivot and make their own stuff up.

Really the only reason I can fathom so much was put into establishing a bunch of characters who quickly died.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dorne stuff was literally ass-tier. I do not understand what they are doing with it.

Everything else was pretty good. They are really going to drag out this Jon stuff though.

Apt101

I just realized how clumsily they telegraphed that Brienne is descended from Ser Duncan. She is the only truly knightly character. She is always horribly hurt near the start of a battle but manages to win. She has a pining but confrontational squire who seems to be more than the sum of his parts. I think Brienne is my favorite show character.

Edit: oh yea, and no one ever takes her seriously. This is awesome.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Honestly with Trystane being dead as well as Myrcella, at least Cersei are probably not going to be as suspicious...also who is going to be the leader of Dorne? I guess they could keep it quiet that Doran died...since they decided to change Dorne completely I am actually ok-ish with this set of plot developments.
As the oldest daughter, Obara is the new leader of Dorne. :lol

Why do people think the book coming out on time would've fixed this?

Book 4 and 5 are the reason we're in this mess.

Not true, Stannis burning Shireen wasn't in Book 4 and 5, Ramsay being OP wasn't in book 4 and 5, Brienne/Hound fight wasn't in Book 4 and 5, Olly wasn't in Book 4 and 5, Sand Snek choreography wasn't in Book 4 and 5. All the worst material is the OC stuff

Well I feel better about the show going past the books now, the show is clearly going to do its own crazy shit. Dorne is so bad, pathetic. The rest was ok.

Not true, Stannis burning Shireen wasn't in Book 4 and 5, Ramsay being OP wasn't in book 4 and 5, Brienne/Hound fight wasn't in Book 4 and 5, Olly wasn't in Book 4 and 5. All the worst material is the OC stuff

Brienne/Hound fight doesn't belong in that company. I'll never understand why book readers hate it so much.

Damerman

I liked the episode a lot, notwithstanding the dorn bullshit. Cersie and Jamie scene was amazing. and Danny's stuff was superb. and they keep knocking it out of the park with Arya. love her in the book and love her in the show. easily my fav character.

just about lost my shit when sansa and Brienne talk about finding Arya

this season is going to be the best, i can feel it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
As the oldest daughter, Obara is the new leader of Dorne. :lol

Elleria will rule through her then, if they decide to make it public. They also can say that there are traitors within the confines of the Seven Kingdom's.

Werd

I thought it was like most of the premiere episodes, doing a lot of recap and exposition to establish the rest of the season for an audience that hasn't read the books and has forgotten the details. A little dull, but out of the way now.

I liked most of the Castle Black scenes, particularly Davos but also the ending. When was the last time Melisandre was shown with confirmed magic in the show? Maybe I myself am forgetting things,but it feels like she's mostly just been prophecy and claiming credit for leeches since the shadow baby. The episode set her state of mind and reestablished that she's got some legitimate power.

Kuroyume

Banned
If I thought Books 4 and 5 were bad I wouldn't be nearly as hard on this show, but unlike some people I actually enjoyed those books. Problem is that the showrunners have butchered the best part of those books while adding some of the worst shit.

Edit: Hound is too cool of a character to be losing to lame ass Brienne. I know how ASOIAF is all about turning tropes/cliches on their heads but come on

danm999

Right there's no Arianne Martell in the show is there.

So I guess I dunno we'll see a few scenes of Ellaria and the Sand Snakes strutting around talking about war this season with the Lannisters and uh.. that's Dorne this season.

Mess.

Speevy

Banned
"We need to cross the river or we'll be found"
"But I'll die"

"Oh I'm ok"

"We're safe!"
"We're not safe. I'll distract them. Run north always north blah"
*Stands in front of them*
"She's dead"
"No she isn't, she's right there"

*Dogs disappear*

They're going to the Kingsmoot.

Jackson50

I liked most of this episode, despite the awkward pacing, but the scene in Dorne taints everything. The Dorne plot should learn from Ramsay's hounds and just disappear.

I just realized how clumsily they telegraphed that Brienne is descended from Ser Duncan. She is the only truly knightly character. She is always horribly hurt near the start of a battle but manages to win. She has a pining but confrontational squire who seems to be more than the sum of his parts. I think Brienne is my favorite show character.

I like Brienne in the books but TV Brienne bothers me for some reason. She's just a cold blooded murderer in the show. That, and it still bothers me she beat the Hound. It just feels like she has some crazy plot armor and she's never really in danger. All she does is run around murdering people willy nilly and grunting like some crazy female tennis player.

Oh and Roose is totally going to get murdered by Ramsay. You don't conveniently drop that Fat Walda is preggers with a male Bolton heir and then have Ramsay not murder the both of them. That's too bad for ol' Roose.

just thinking about the possibility of the sand snakes in future episodes.. this sucks lol

I'M FUCKING DREADING IT.

I just don't want too see it. There's absolutely no reason to for it to exist except watch the lame brigade declare war because "for muh oberyn revenge"

Doran dead as a dodo and all his guards just watched him. git tae fuck

danm999

Yeah no clue why they adapted the Dorne stuff and not the Iron Island stuff.

The death of Balon. The Kingsmoot. Euron. Victarian. Invading the Shields. Victarion's voyage to Meereen. There's literally episodes full of stuff they could have adapted.

Instead all the Dorne stuff is making me scratch my head since it looks like whole swathes of it have no payoff.

I like Brienne in the books but TV Brienne bothers me for some reason. She's just a cold blooded murderer in the show. That, and it still bothers me she beat the Hound. It just feels like she has some crazy plot armor and she's never really in danger.

Oh and Roose is totally going to get murdered by Ramsay. You don't conveniently drop that Fat Walda is preggers with a male Bolton heir and then have Ramsay not murder the both of them. That's too bad for ol' Roose.

Season 4 they killed off Tywin
Season 5 they killed off Stannis
Season 6 they're gonna kill off Roose

each season they kill off another great, grizzled old man actor

shame

If that's all we see of Dorne ever again I won't weep, I didn't care that much about Dorne in the books beyond Doran's big speech to Adrianne but then they just cut everything so... I guess we got to see Tyene's actress's boobs so I guess there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom