• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D had to slip another dick joke in that Yara and Theon scene, didn't they? Now, this episode has all the makings of a classic.
My favorite part of that scene was the framing of Theon's sheathed sword leaning against the table. Probably the best dick joke in the series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Now that the show was gone out of its way to get the best actress out of Kings Landing, I'm pretty sure Cersei is going to do something stupid and kill/get everyone killed in Kings Landing

KahooTs

Has the target audience even changed from Season 1. Remember how many gratuitous sex scene we saw back then.

Yes, people roped in by intricate plotting and absorbing character arcs in a consistent fantasy setting are not about to leave now that they're invested in the characters and world. So the show runners are free to broaden their appeal and drive it all by the numbers, hence gone is any intricacy and all consistency of character and world. Instead we get bi-weekly strong female leader Dany speeches and so shocking Ramsay scenes. But then its probably just the best that they can do with what little interest they have left in the show and without detailed source material to pull from. All things considered turning it into a simple soap/action fest is probably the right direction for the show now.

duckroll

Pros: Great establishing shots this week. Loved how each of the locations got those wide shots even if some were clearly CG. Really pretty.

Cons: This time we can say literally nothing happened. Yes, yes, they revealed THE HOUND again. Yes we know Margery has a plan. Yes they established the Ironborn's "plan". Yes Arya got stabbed bad. Yes Jaime was pretty hot in that armor. Yes Bronne fulfilled the cock joke quota of the week. But nothing -happened-. Everything was a tease and/or cliffhanger.

"GOOD THING WE'RE FRIENDS, OR YOU'LL BE GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS RIGHT NOW!"

Hazmat

This episode annoyed me because it felt like half an episode with nothing satisfying happening in it. It also made me happy because once again we had no Ramsay. We actually we haven't seen Ramsay or Tyrion and company for quite a while. And they seem to relish in tormenting the kid that plays Rickon by having him pop up years later and then disappear.

Turin

Banned
Lyanna Mormont was absolutely the star of the episode. Fuck the Stark claim. Make her Queen in the North.

Rory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So good to see him again.

McShane, of course, was great in a show he shamelessly put it in it's place. What are you gonna do about it?

Wun Wun knows what's up.

To make the fuckery of Jaime's characterization more frustrating, Nikolai can still play the character exceptionally well.

Edit:

Adding to the positive side. Third episode in a row with no Ramsay.

duckroll

I thought both Lady Mormont and Ian McShane were really good. But the entire McShane arc was a huge waste. Instead of establishing it in a more meaningful way, it was literally a Story of the Week insert just to reintroduce the Hound and then set him off on a new journey. McShane's performance was really good but the way it just cut off at the end is hilarious. Almost like he did a few great scenes, they wanted him to continue on for longer in the series, and he said "FUCK YOU SONS OF WHORES!!! LOL!!!!" and then they had to kill him off immediately... off screen. Lol.

Brakke

Banned
Can't believe they're still dragging such feet on Arya god damn.

Otherwise pretty much enjoyed everything. Top notch production this ep: really liked all the new sets and costumes and locations. Glad that Sansa acknowledged how it's a little silly that Davos is Hand Of The Starks just like that.

Saya

I thought both Lady Mormont and Ian McShane were really good. But the entire McShane arc was a huge waste. Instead of establishing it in a more meaningful way, it was literally a Story of the Week insert just to reintroduce the Hound and then set him off on a new journey. McShane's performance was really good but the way it just cut off at the end is hilarious. Almost like he did a few great scenes, they wanted him to continue on for longer in the series, and he said "FUCK YOU SONS OF WHORES!!! LOL!!!!" and then they had to kill him off immediately... off screen. Lol.

It's D&D's revenge for when McShane called Game of Thrones 'only tits and dragons'.

Yoda

Sansa's stupidity is really bothering me:

"Why do you trust Davoos?"

"Uhh he resurrected me? Sided with me against the mutineers? Need I go on?"

...Let me go write a letter to the man who married me to a rapist/war criminal/<insert bad aspect of LF here> behind Jon's back... The guy who's tasked with actually leading the battle?

At this rate she'll be Cersei 2.0 soon.

Lautaro

Everyone loving Lady Mormont and while I find her great, still felt pretty hard to believe or forced seeing a child so young uttering those words... maybe I don't know enough children.

Speevy

Banned
Everyone loving Lady Mormont and while I find her greatstill felt pretty hard to believe seeing a child so young uttering those words... maybe I don't know enough children.

All the characters you're seeing on screen, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon, Dany, Robb, Tommen, Joffrey are children at or younger than 14 in the books.

duckroll

Sansa's stupidity is really bothering me:

"Why do you trust Davoos?"

"Uhh he resurrected me? Sided with me against the mutineers? Need I go on?"

...Let me go write a letter to the man who married me to a rapist/war criminal/<insert bad aspect of LF here> behind Jon's back... The guy who's tasked with actually leading the battle?

At this rate she'll be Cersei 2.0 soon.

Stupidity? I don't think she has an issue with him trusting Davos, she just doesn't know him well and to be fair Davos DID advise Stannis who lost every battle he fought. Also, Jon wants to march on Winterfell with like... nothing. She knows she can get more troops, so she's doing so. Don't see the stupidity there. If anything, Jon is being too reckless after coming back from the dead. He trusts too easily and he feels invincible. Not going to end well for him when he faces Ramsay and the Twenty Good Men...

Speevy

Banned
I would gather all the good northern houses in a giant magic tree that doesn't have Bran in it and let the whitewalkers kill the Boltons and their allies.

Yoda

Stupidity? I don't think she has an issue with him trusting Davos, she just doesn't know him well and to be fair Davos DID advise Stannis who lost every battle he fought. Also, Jon wants to march on Winterfell with like... nothing. She knows she can get more troops, so she's doing so. Don't see the stupidity there. If anything, Jon is being too reckless after coming back from the dead. He trusts too easily and he feels invincible. Not going to end well for him when he faces Ramsay and the Twenty Good Men...

Getting more troops, that of course makes sense... But she's asking Little Finger? Is it really plausible that Little Finger will simply do it "for nothing"? If Sansa entangles Jon w/LF, and Jon is oblivious to such (by her own doing), she seems to be setting the stage for him to exploit the trust gap he created between both of them (which still doesn't seem logical).

Zabka

Davos advised Stannis to go north towards his victory in battle against the wildlings.

Pros: Great establishing shots this week. Loved how each of the locations got those wide shots even if some were clearly CG. Really pretty.

Cons: This time we can say literally nothing happened. Yes, yes, they revealed THE HOUND again. Yes we know Margery has a plan. Yes they established the Ironborn's "plan". Yes Arya got stabbed bad. Yes Jaime was pretty hot in that armor. Yes Bronne fulfilled the cock joke quota of the week. But nothing -happened-. Everything was a tease and/or cliffhanger.

"GOOD THING WE'RE FRIENDS, OR YOU'LL BE GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS RIGHT NOW!"

You needed this bridges to make the transition into the crazy feel smooth. The northern recruitment, everything in Riverrun, Yara's plot reveal, etc were all necessary, or everything will feel too abrupt.

Lady mormonth went into war too? damm RIP Mormonths legacy, Starks are in a killing spree of killing the north before the Walkers come

Also the old lady is leaving to bring back the army or batman or something just dont kill her please.

But the whole episode was pretty zzzzzzzzz with the Hound predictable story and Arya getting stabbed but not killed, of course they wont kill her

Yes, people roped in by intricate plotting and absorbing character arcs in a consistent fantasy setting are not about to leave now that they're invested in the characters and world.

I have never met anyone who said he got into the show because of the plotting. That's something mostly the book readers are interested in.
The show watchers were always 20-somethings that can barely remember a handful of character names. They can't complicate things too much especially with how many characters they are juggling around
Gotta find a way to shit indirectly on the people enjoying the show.

zTJ8aJT.jpg

The show in the last 2-3 seasons has been very inconsistent in how well it fills the void between the big events happening. They are struggling to get good filler scenes in there to keep us entertained . Episode 1 and 6 this season were really mediocre because of that.
This episode however was a lot better. Partially because of the Hound(I cheered when he came back,that was an awesome opening shot) but also because everything else (well besides Arya)felt much better written.

suzu

Cleganebowl, get hype and all that!

Everyone loving Lady Mormont and while I find her great, still felt pretty hard to believe or forced seeing a child so young uttering those words... maybe I don't know enough children.

Well, she is pretty much the definition of a precocious kid. lol

Lothar

Banned
I think you're pretty much in the minority here. The material this season has been fun, and despite its structural problems is miles ahead of last season.

It's been entertaining to be sure.

How is it miles ahead of last season? Everything's been mostly been serviceable at best.

This episode was good, not great. About on par with last year's episode 7.

It's got a lot of the same flaws as last season. Arya is still getting beat on by the Walf and clearly by this episode has learned nothing in Bravvos. Sansa is still being stupid. Dany and everything to do with Meereen is still boring. This sparrow/King's Landing story is still dragged out and awful. Still no sign of Jaime resuming his arc. His line in the previews made me cringe.

Kozak

Banned
That was a great ep that left me wanting more and more and more!

Only disappointing thing for me in the episode was Arya getting stabbed..

It would have been way better if Arya realized it was the Waif and killed her there and then. Especially with the scene just before that, it would have been a great moment to show how far Arya has come.

frontovik

Banned
I read a speculation that the Arya being stabbed by the Waif is actually Jaqen in disguise.

What made the scene strange was that Arya was not staying inconspicuous and that she did not have Needle with her. It's likely that Jaqen impersonated Arya to test the Waif's reliability (he did tell her to give Arya a quick death) The Waif's failure may suggest that Jaqen will help Arya.

It sounds plausible, or perhaps Arya was just having a derp moment.

duckroll

lol

I love to shit on the show as much as anyone but these comparisons with Transformers are ridiculous.

Gotta find a way to shit indirectly on the people enjoying the show.

So it's okay to shit on people who like Transformers but somehow comparing Transformers with a show you like is blasphemy? Okay. Lol.

I like Transformers. I like Game of Thrones. They're both entertaining and have dick jokes.

mantidor

So Roose and Ramsay had lots of problems getting the northern houses in line, which is why they needed Sansa.

Now the Stark siblings go around such northern houses and they are all like "lol no", why did the Boltons even need Sansa in the first place?

Corpekata

Banned
I read a speculation that the Arya being stabbed by the Waif is actually Jaqen in disguise.

What made the scene strange was that Arya was not staying inconspicuous and that she did not have Needle with her. It's likely that Jaqen impersonated Arya to test the Waif's reliability (he did tell her to give Arya a quick death) The Waif's failure may suggest that Jaqen will help Arya.

The scene with her emerging from the river makes no sense in this context.

Arya is a derp through and through.

duckroll

So Roose and Ramsay had lots of problems getting the northern houses in line, which is why they needed Sansa.

Now the Stark siblings go around such northern houses and they are all like "lol no", why did the Boltons even need Sansa in the first place?

I think that was before Jon Snow let all the Wildlings across the Wall. At least before everyone in the North heard about it.

Lautaro

So it's okay to shit on people who like Transformers but somehow comparing Transformers with a show you like is blasphemy? Okay. Lol.

I like Transformers. I like Game of Thrones. They're both entertaining and have dick jokes.

So brave... I just try to read between lines, when someone brings Transformers or other popular thing (like The Big Bang Theory) in this forum is usually not to praise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom