• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

Great episode.

By the way where is the show with the books just now? Would Google but I want to avoid mistake spoilers. Think I'm going to finally have to knuckle down and read the books.

Also is the hound in the books? Hope he's not an original idea of the TV series. Love him.

Yeah he's in the books and has a bigger presence in some storylines when's he not actually around, you should definitely read them

Apt101

I for one think the show writers failed the Hound. Meribald's speech is amazing in the book, informing the readers exactly where Sandor is in his head and the terrible personal ordeals he has overcome.

But anyways Cleganebowl 50000% get hype dubstep.

Who is the man in blue? He walks in the opposite direction of Arya and she avoids eye contact, and then in the final shot you can see him following her, almost trying to peer around some people to make sure he knew where she was.

Could just be a random extra being reused, but thought it was interesting, given his attire that stands way out.

hRcFcc9.jpg

IbHZeYy.jpg

VG5ZJfy.jpg

Forkball

Great episode.

By the way where is the show with the books just now? Would Google but I want to avoid mistake spoilers. Think I'm going to finally have to knuckle down and read the books.

Also is the hound in the books? Hope he's not an original idea of the TV series. Love him.
The show is ahead in some storylines but behind in others. Many characters have completely different story points and are in different places. People are dead in the show but not in the books.

The Hound is definitely in the books and he's a great character in both. The most notable show only characters are Ros, Olly, Myranda, and this season we have Kinvara but she's basically a stand in for someone far less sexy.

Massa

Wish they would have used Davos' vengeance speech to win the support of House Glover and a pro-Stark speech to win the support of House Mormont. The speech that convinced Lady Mormont to support their cause felt like it was being given to the audience, not the people in that room. "The dead are coming, come fight the Boltons with us" doesn't make a lick of sense.

People always praise Cogman episodes but I think D&D are actually better.

Real Hero

Wish they would have used Davos' vengeance speech to win the support of House Glover and a pro-Stark speech to win the support of House Mormont. The speech that convinced Lady Mormont to support their cause felt like it was being given to the audience, not the people in that room. "The dead are coming, come fight the Boltons with us" doesn't make a lick of sense.

People always praise Cogman episodes but I think D&D are actually better.

oh yeah I forgot about Davos's speech, hopefully they are saving it for a bigger house or something

It feels like Tyrion really has taken a backstage this season, I wonder if his story gets a shot in the arm these last few episodes. Seems like they won't do the Battle of Fire at least since there is zero buildup for that.

Ep 9 will probably be 80% Battle of Bastards so there really isn't much time for all the other characters left. Euron for example still hasn't really done anything after the semi lame Kingsmoot, Tyrion/Varys as I said before, Cersei/Margaery/Tommen, Yara/Theon, Hound, Sam, Arya, Dorne, Bran, Jaime/Brienne. All kinda feel like they are at mid season point but who knows, they might go foreward at lightning speed episodes 8 and 10.

duckroll

On a scale of one to infinity, how salty will sad bitter book fans be if they announce next year that GRRM is writing the script for the series finale?

Moff

On a scale of one to infinity, how salty will sad bitter book fans be if they announce next year that GRRM is writing the script for the series finale?

does GRRM even know what happens in the showcanon? I doubt he is allowed to still spend time watching tv when he really should finish TWOW

As a big fan of the books, I'm all about him writing more episodes of the show, especially episodes for the final season and/or finale episode.

Chopper

Observation. The actress has commented before how she's had to learn to do things left handed for the show, as she's right handed in real life.

The Doppler Arya does everything right handed, including grasping at her wounds after getting stabbed.
This is pretty huge.

Skilletor

I would love it.

But I care more about how things happen, not what happens, and there's no way that how things happen in the books can be the same.

does GRRM even know what happens in the showcanon? I doubt he is allowed to still spend time watching tv when he really should finish TWOW
Given that he's offered D&D a lot of insight and spelled out endgame stuff for major characters, I'd say yes, he has a fairly decent idea.

duckroll

This is pretty huge.

But it's not accurate. If you look at the various Arya scenes throughout the series, it's pretty inconsistent. She clearly uses her right hand a lot as the dormant hand. If it's a detail they actually cared about, they clearly don't care -that- much about it.

Lothar

Banned
Great episode.

In the books, we're still waiting to see who wins out of Ramsay vs Stannis. Sansa is still at the Vale. Tyrion has yet to meet Dany. Jon hasn't resurrected. The last thing Cersei did was the Walk of Shame. The only story that the show is behind the books is the current one with Jaime. (Because he was supposed to go to the Riverlands last year instead of Dorne)

Chopper

But it's not accurate. If you look at the various Arya scenes throughout the series, it's pretty inconsistent. She clearly uses her right hand a lot as the dormant hand. If it's a detail they actually cared about, they clearly don't care -that- much about it.
Hmmm. I just rewatched the scene again, and she clearly gives the guy the gold, and takes it back, with her right hand. I mean, that's pretty blatant. It certainly makes things a little more interesting until the inevitable lack of exciting reveal next episode:

Turns out, she just survived the brutal stabbing. Deal with it.

TheStars

Banned
All I know is if that was truly Arya and she didn't have some kind of plan about being stabbed, then the writing for her got really lazy. If she was "bait" or some kind of doppleganger, it would make more sense. But to train about being an assassin, then walking around the city with no caution doesn't make sense. I think D&D is better than that.

Iksenpets

Banned
Great episode.

This is actually really hard to answer. For example, Jon's last scene in the last book is his assassination, so when he was resurrected on the show that was his plot passing the books. But at the same time, all these scenes from this week where they go around rallying Northern lords are actually developed largely from book 5 Davos scenes where he's trying to win allies for Stannis. In the books, Houses Mormont and Glover, whom Jon just met with in the show, are part of Stannis' army, which is still camped in the snow preparing for the oncoming Bolton attack.

Theon is actually being held prisoner in Stannis' camp after escaping Winterfell, and his sister is prisoner with him after Stannis captured her while helping the Glovers to retake their castle from the Ironborn to win their support, and that whole Ironborn election scene actually happen a full book earlier, just with Theon not present since he was still in Ramsay's dungeon. It's an entirely different Ironborn character who goes to Meereen in the books, while Theon and his sister get tied up in this Northern stuff.

A lot of plots are kind of riffing off of smaller book elements to buy some time too. Tyrion's whole agreement to reallow slavery in the other cities is actually an agreement that Dany makes as part of her deal to marry Hizdahr in the books. Arya's several episodes of blindness are taken from a single book chapter that actually came before most of her season 5 content. Sam is still trying to catch up with his final book chapter where he starts maester training. Jaime and Brienne converging on Riverrun is them finally catching up to their book plots, after both of them spent season 5 in places they never go to in the books, with Brienne in the North and Jaime in Dorne. Jorah has had a cut character's grayscale plot grafted on to him.

Basically we are simultaneously past and not past the books, and some characters are on paths completely unrelated to the books.

ctothej

The show is ahead in some storylines but behind in others. Many characters have completely different story points and are in different places. People are dead in the show but not in the books.

Isn't the show ahead in every storyline now? The only exception I can think of is the Riverlands story, but I don't remember how that resolved in the books.

mantidor

Something no one is talking about.

Jon's army is camping in the same place as Stannis, which means they are 20 good men away from getting their provisions burned/leaders kidnapped and burn in crosses.

Thaedolus

Jon is going to win and the brief respite from bad news will turn to horror as the wall comes down or some kind of attack by the Others whoops some ass and makes it look hopeless

Apt101

You forgetting about The Bae at Moat Cailin? He's going to Rohirrim Ramsay's ass off come episode 9.

Starks and Wildlings will lose. Big Pete B will arrive and kill everyone. Winterfell will be ruled by another usurper. It will set up Sansa to win it back via underhanded tactics, taking it full circle on Lil' Finger. Mark my words.

I can't see Jon winning, he'd essentially have the north back for the Starks. Unless they immediately have Lannisters attack them.

And then who do I root for.

Handy Lanny or Dead Snow?

Massa

Something no one is talking about.

Jon's army is camping in the same place as Stannis, which means they are 20 good men away from getting their provisions burned/leaders kidnapped and burn in crosses.

Jon was against camping there though. He doesn't know Brienne killed 4 of the good men and wants to get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible.

Audioboxer

This is actually really hard to answer. For example, Jon's last scene in the last book is his assassination, so when he was resurrected on the show that was his plot passing the books. But at the same time, all these scenes from this week where they go around rallying Northern lords are actually developed largely from book 5 Davos scenes where he's trying to win allies for Stannis. In the books, Houses Mormont and Glover, whom Jon just met with in the show, are part of Stannis' army, which is still camped in the snow preparing for the oncoming Bolton attack.

Theon is actually being held prisoner in Stannis' camp after escaping Winterfell, and his sister is prisoner with him after Stannis captured her while helping the Glovers to retake their castle from the Ironborn to win their support, and that whole Ironborn election scene actually happen a full book earlier, just with Theon not present since he was still in Ramsay's dungeon. It's an entirely different Ironborn character who goes to Meereen in the books, while Theon and his sister get tied up in this Northern stuff.

A lot of plots are kind of riffing off of smaller book elements to buy some time too. Tyrion's whole agreement to reallow slavery in the other cities is actually an agreement that Dany makes as part of her deal to marry Hizdahr in the books. Arya's several episodes of blindness are taken from a single book chapter that actually came before most of her season 5 content. Sam is still trying to catch up with his final book chapter where he starts maester training. Jaime and Brienne converging on Riverrun is them finally catching up to their book plots, after both of them spent season 5 in places they never go to in the books, with Brienne in the North and Jaime in Dorne. Jorah has had a cut character's grayscale plot grafted on to him.

Basically we are simultaneously past and not past the books, and some characters are on paths completely unrelated to the books.

In the books, we're still waiting to see who wins out of Ramsay vs Stannis. Sansa is still at the Vale. Tyrion has yet to meet Dany. Jon hasn't resurrected. The last thing Cersei did was the Walk of Shame. The only story that the show is behind the books is the current one with Jaime. (Because he was supposed to go to the Riverlands last year instead of Dorne)

Woah, thanks for fleshing out those replies. Didn't expect the bit about Jon!

Damn I gotta get reading, considering that is where the books are and considering the size of each, there must be some amazing lore and storytelling depth the TV show has to cut out.

kris.

Banned

twitter would be fucking delicious if this happened. i can't even begin to imagine the sheer sodium it'd produce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom