• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

I'm not even sure why people think it's going to happen, at least in the next three episodes.

How can it not? We know that there will be a trial by battle with the mountain fighting for Cersei and someone for the faith.
Can't believe that won't be the Hound. He's about to murder those knights and then what? He wants to do something good, he seems to believe what McShane said to him - at least to a point. And he wants revenge. What better way to get it then to fight his brother and therefore kill the queen?

So they keep reminding us the zombie is Gregor Clegane and reintroducing Sandor Clegane for shits and giggles?

It's definitely happening.
It seems like they are purposely leading us along to that conclusion, but will pull the rug out from under it and do something unexpected instead.

I could be wrong though, and that's fine haha. I don't have anything negative to say about Sandor killing his brother in a trial by combat, I'm just not banking on it happening.

Daemul

I don't give a fuck about Cleganebowl, it's always sounded like the most dumbest thing ever, so if it doesn't happen I'm going to enjoy the salty tears.

Branduil

I don't give a fuck about Cleganebowl, it's always sounded like the most dumbest thing ever, so if it doesn't happen I'm going to enjoy the salty tears.

Well, in the books, at least, I'd expect it to take a different form than most would expect. Gregor is basically a zombie, not a real person, at this point so it can't really be seen as getting "revenge" by killing him. It would be more like putting an abomination out of its misery.

Maybe reading words on a page isn't as impactful to some as seeing it on the screen, but the idea that George's world isn't filled to the brim with relentless violence and brutality at nearly every turn just...isn't the case.

I felt way more sick reading Oberyn's death than watching it.

l m f a o

Next you're going to tell me George *doesn't* have an insatiable nipple fetish.

Of course, the books are filled with plenty of violence what I'm saying is that there is usually more point to it then mere shock. My favorite YouTuber does a good job of explaining this:

TUN: Blame of Thrones

It doesn't make sense for it to happen other than being extremely fan-service-y. Sandor doesn't need to kill his brother to have a fulfilling arc. He's got plenty else to do.

mantidor

This thread in 2016: sick of Ramsay, always the evil guy, always winning.

This thread in 2017: sick of Euron, raping and torturing his own, gratuitous woman violence.

This thread in 2025: oh my god TWOW is so good you guys!

Aren't you the optimistic one? :p

The thing about the evil guys in the book is that they are well rounded, book Ramsay could never take 50 ironborns while shirtless, that is the kind of crap that its criticized, not that he's evil. Everyone loved to hate Jeoffrey for instance, he was an awful, awful person, but he was also spoiled, probably abused by his father, you can see the little shit he is when in Blackwater he shows his coward self, Ramsay on the other hand is a god, he'll probably smile while being flayed because he is "soooo evil and invincible", the difference is abysmal.

Where did the expression Cleganebowl come from?

I know what it's in reference to but just wondering

Probably reddit.

It's so dumb, which is why I think its absolutely going to happen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'd be a bit disappointed if Cleganebowl happened now as well, Sandor is a better character than that, maybe instead he'll find out what's happened to his brother and eat every chicken belonging to those responsible.

XAL

With the reintroduction of the brotherhood, do you think the TV show will ever show Lady stoneheart?

Honestly it will probably be the end of season "jaw dropper".

*edit:

Actually I take it back. Thought they'd show the creation at the end but she's probably already running the brotherhood given by the fact that they're basically murdering shits right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly it will probably be the end of season "jaw dropper".

*edit:

Actually I take it back. Thought they'd show the creation at the end but she's probably already running the brotherhood given by the fact that they're basically murdering shits right now.

We never saw the creation in the books either, the first LSH appearance is when Brienne and Pod get captured.

Still not sure if we're going to see her, but if we do, it's probably the end-of-season reveal, I'm with you.

Hey here's a link to a RUMOUR of a spoiler regarding later in the season

I've made it a short URL so you won't spoil yourself if you accidentally hover over it:

http://bit.ly/1XCVh7f

(Speculation about the spoilers in the link):
Not sure how to react to this... In the books, the plausibility of Littlefinger knowing R+L=J is very small. Other than unnecessary and expository dialog to Sansa in the crypts of Winterfell last season, what is substantively different about his character in the show that would make him having this knowledge more plausible? I actually consider this an important point, since outsider knowledge of R+L=J is nearly as crucial to the plot as the fact itself.

(Speculation about the spoilers in the link):
Not sure how to react to this... In the books, the plausibility of Littlefinger knowing R+L=J is very small. Other than unnecessary and expository dialog to Sansa in the crypts of Winterfell last season, what is substantively different about his character in the show that would make him having this knowledge more plausible? I actually consider this an important point, since outsider knowledge of R+L=J is nearly as crucial to the plot as the fact itself.

It makes sense for the show, they can't just suddenly bring out Howland Reed or show watchers have never seen and barely hear of. In the books, we may not have seen the man but he's been hyped up as this unseen mysterious dude out there. LF revealing R+L makes sense for the show.

It makes sense for the show, they can't just suddenly bring out Howland Reed or show watchers have never seen and barely hear of. In the books, we may not have seen the man but he's been hyped up as this unseen mysterious dude out there. LF revealing R+L makes sense for the show.

OK... But why? It only "makes sense for the show" if LF having that knowledge actually makes sense. If he just magically has it for no apparent reason, that's bad storytelling whether we're talking about the show or the books. Hell, that's the very reason why book readers assume he doesn't know in the books; to date, no plausible textual reason has been given that would support a conclusion that he knows about R+L=J.

So, you just summarily saying it "makes sense" without giving a reason why doesn't mean it actually makes sense.

Please elaborate: why does it make sense for the show? That was the question in my original post anyway.

emag

When Jon gets his flaming sword, I want a GoT/Sunny "Dayman" mashup.

I'd be a bit disappointed if Cleganebowl happened now as well, Sandor is a better character than that, maybe instead he'll find out what's happened to his brother and eat every chicken belonging to those responsible.

On the one hand, I can't imagine Sandor being brought back and not facing off against Zombie Mountain in some way. On the other hand, the given that there are only two non-Jon episodes left and Sandor's immediate motivation (delivering justice to the Brotherhood Without Banners) makes it unreasonable that he'd be in KL as a champion of the Sparrows this season. Will Cersei's trial by combat not take place until next season? Or will the Mountain break Loras's back in Episode 10, making Cersei's trial and Clagenebowl two distinct events?

It makes sense for the show, they can't just suddenly bring out Howland Reed or show watchers have never seen and barely hear of.

Just a nitpick: show viewers have seen Howland Reed in Bran's flashback(s). He was there with Ned at the ToJ scene(s).

OK... But why? It only "makes sense for the show" if LF having that knowledge actually makes sense. If he just magically has it for no apparent reason, that's bad storytelling whether we're talking about the show or the books. Hell, that's the very reason why book readers assume he doesn't know in the books; to date, no plausible textual reason has been given that would support a conclusion that he knows about R+L=J.

So, you just summarily saying it "makes sense" without giving a reason why doesn't mean it actually makes sense.

Please elaborate: why does it make sense for the show? That was the question in my original post anyway.

Well, the show probably wants to use someone the audience is familiar with to make the reveal. This narrows the list down as it has to be someone close or near enough to Jon to speak with him, not hate his guts, have been around during RR, and have a plausible reason to have known. LF makes sense as he is shown as the second spymaster next to Varys in the show. Thus, it makes sense that he would know secrets that other people do not.

LF also has known the Starks since he was a boy and tried to duel Brandon so he would likely question Ned Stark's story about him having a bastard son, knowing that Ned is all about honor. After all, LF knew about Cercei's incest for years because he's smart enough to put 2+2 together. It thus makes sense that he is able to easily puzzle out that Rhaegar was not a monster, Lyanna probably loved him, and that this secret love child Ned comes back with after the war is not his.

mantidor

Can't believe that leak of the titles was real.

At least the descriptions were fake.

edit: Also about Jon's parentage (leaks)
if there is any reveal it should be Bran through the wierwood trees or something like that, LF revealing would be lame and also confusing for show watchers.

We never saw the creation in the books either, the first LSH appearance is when Brienne and Pod get captured.

Still not sure if we're going to see her, but if we do, it's probably the end-of-season reveal, I'm with you.
I thought Arya saw it through a Nymeri wolf dream.

Well, the show probably wants to use someone the audience is familiar with to make the reveal. This narrows the list down as it has to be someone close or near enough to Jon to speak with him, not hate his guts, have been around during RR, and have a plausible reason to have known. LF makes sense as he is shown as the second spymaster next to Varys in the show. Thus, it makes sense that he would know secrets that other people do not.

LF also has known the Starks since he was a boy and tried to duel Brandon so he would likely question Ned Stark's story about him having a bastard son, knowing that Ned is all about honor. After all, LF knew about Cercei's incest for years because he's smart enough to put 2+2 together. It thus makes sense that he is able to easily puzzle out that Rhaegar was not a monster, Lyanna probably loved him, and that this secret love child Ned comes back with after the war is not his.

Got it - hand-waving it is. Considering D&D's track record, can't exactly say I would be surprised.

rashbeep

Banned
How can it not? We know that there will be a trial by battle with the mountain fighting for Cersei and someone for the faith.
Can't believe that won't be the Hound. He's about to murder those knights and then what? He wants to do something good, he seems to believe what McShane said to him - at least to a point. And he wants revenge. What better way to get it then to fight his brother and therefore kill the queen?

Yes but unless he borrowed LF's teleporting device, I can't see him dealing with the BwB, learning about the trial, travelling to King's Landing to be in said trial all in 3 episodes. It would be very forced imo.

I thought Arya saw it through a Nymeri wolf dream.

She sees them pull her body from the lake and we learn later that's where Beric performed the kiss but we don't actually see the act.

Also, related to the rumors/spoilers:

Does this mean we're going to get a double whammy of R+L=J in the form of Littlefinger and the ToJ?

She sees them pull her body from the lake and we learn later that's where Beric performed the kiss but we don't actually see the act.

Also, related to the rumors/spoilers:

Does this mean we're going to get a double whammy of R+L=J in the form of Littlefinger and the ToJ?

I've thought that
Tommen could be dying before the end of the season and after LF saves the north he tells them that he received a letter that the king is dead which if I'm not mistaken would put Jon next in line to the throne and LF would reveal his parentage.

HBO has confirmed the titles of the final two episodes of this season (was previously a rumor that was debated the past few days on Reddit lol):

Tagging just in case you'd rather not know...

Episode 9: Battle of the Bastards
Episode 10: The Winds of Winter

I've thought that
Tommen could be dying before the end of the season and after LF saves the north he tells them that he received a letter that the king is dead which if I'm not mistaken would put Jon next in line to the throne and LF would reveal his parentage.

Succession is tricky. Keep in mind that Jon would be Rhaegar's bastard unless he and Lyanna married.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I've thought that

if we go with bastards, the next in line would be GENDRY

So many questions about this scenario.

QtPS8hU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom