• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Great video.

Dave Chen in The Cast of Kings podcast said the scene with the hound reinforced one of the main themes of Game of Thrones: Peacefulness will always be slaughtered by violence. And that's true... in the show. But it's a bum out that so many people think that's the point of Martin's books as well.

This is good and explains my problems with the show, it's reinforced even more how they brutally killed of the Meribald stand in to kick of the hounds bad ass revenge plot. Still going to watch until the end though.

The video even predicts that Meribald would be killed by Ramsay or someone equally villainous.

QtPS8hU.jpg
g7zopoW.jpg

Battle of the Bastards is a pretty lame episode title tbh. But i'm hyped, i'm sure it will be a great episode.

Although I can't believe that is the 'big battle' event of this season. I thought it'd be a minor thing halfway through the season or something. Don't we get 15 more episodes max after this season? It still seems to be going kind of slow. I don't want a 20 minute scene of Dragons vs White Walkers at the very end. I want Dany to be in Westeros for awhile. I want an actual war with the WW that isn't resolved super quick.

This season has been great, but Dany sure as hell better be on her way to Westeros by seasons end.

Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight video series:

- It’s just a flesh wound, Blackfish: Game Of Thrones’ Monty Python moment
We start this week’s discussion of “The Broken Man” by talking about the way Game Of Thrones handled the return of the Hound, but the real focus of Polite Fight this week is the show’s comedy, inspired in part by a comment comparing the Frey siege at Riverrun to something out of Monty Python And The Holy Grail. John and Gus look at how Jaime and Bronn’s presence as observers helps guide our expectations for the scene, lowering the stakes and allowing us to sit back and enjoy the exchange. John points out that the scene with Lady Mormont uses the opposite strategy to get a laugh, constantly defying and reversing expectations. We also discuss key shots of Margaery and recall a key Cersei closeup from earlier in the season.

Speevy

Banned
Battle of the Bastards is a pretty lame episode title tbh. But i'm hyped, i'm sure it will be a great episode.

Although I can't believe that is the 'big battle' event of this season. I thought it'd be a minor thing halfway through the season or something. Don't we get 15 more episodes max after this season? It still seems to be going kind of slow. I don't want a 20 minute scene of Dragons vs White Walkers at the very end. I want Dany to be in Westeros for awhile. I want an actual war with the WW that isn't resolved super quick.

This season has been great, but Dany sure as hell better be on her way to Westeros by seasons end.

Given that they've set up Ramsay Bolton as a north-flaying, kin-slaying, wife-raping ultimate fighting champion four star general, I'd say his storyline (and hopefully his death) is priority one for the show.

Jarmel

Banned
This season has been weird in that some events are resolved super quick and then you get stuff like Jon's army building taking forever.

Gigglepoo

This season has been weird in that some events are resolved super quick and then you get stuff like Jon's army building taking forever.

I don't mind the slow pace (the King's Landing storyline might be my favorite this season) but Jon's story is still dull to me. Everything that's happened so far has been extremely predictable so it feels like going through the motions. We knew he would come back the dead, join up with Sansa, and recruit Northern houses, and those events played out without any twists to liven them up.

Great video.

Dave Chen in The Cast of Kings podcast said the scene with the hound reinforced one of the main themes of Game of Thrones: Peacefulness will always be slaughtered by violence. And that's true... in the show. But it's a bum out that so many people think that's the point of Martin's books as well.
I could hear Joanna audibly cringe when he said that

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The main three's stories (Jon, Dany and Tyrion) seem to have been put on hold for the middle part of this season while they wrap up all the side stories. Which is weird because I thought Kit said this was his biggest season yet.

mantidor

I wonder if we'll ever see her again.

tumblr_mnt0kgNh3H1rwxoyco2_r2_250.gif

Never.

This was another "good thing has to be followed by horrible thing" trope the show keeps on pushing thinking its clever, when in reality it has become so painfully predictable it's annoying, happened twice in the last episode! Arya and the Hound's community. I wouldn't mind it that much if the focus was on telling a coherent story, but the focus is clearly to have this kind of moments, so they make all kind of jumps in logic (like Arya forgetting all her training and actual predicament for instance) in order to achieve them.

Speevy

Banned
I think it is a theme of Martin's books that not overcoming one's weakness leads to death.

The weaknesses in the show include honor, loyalty, trust, revenge, family, cruelty, among many others.

I don't think the show is nearly as deep as the books, but I also don't believe that a group of defenseless seven-worshipping people making soup in the Riverlands would survive long, even in the books.

Also, this is kind of spelled out in the Hound's scene where he tells the kindly old man that he'll be dead by winter.

Speevy

Banned
Never.

This was another "good thing has to be followed by horrible thing" trope the show keeps on pushing thinking its clever, when in reality it has become so painfully predictable it's annoying, happened twice in the last episode! Arya and the Hound's community. I wouldn't mind it that much if the focus was on telling a coherent story, but the focus is clearly to have this kind of moments, so they make all kind of jumps in logic (like Arya forgetting all her training and actual predicament for instance) in order to achieve them.

I think it fit right into the way Walder Frey could present himself as a charming, hospitable old crank at times. Lulling the audience into a false sense of security is the whole point of the Red Wedding.

Yes but unless he borrowed LF's teleporting device, I can't see him dealing with the BwB, learning about the trial, travelling to King's Landing to be in said trial all in 3 episodes. It would be very forced imo.

The hound is wanted for treason though.

All that has to happen is in episode 8 he runs into some lannister soldiers, get arrested and brought to the capital.

And then in episode 10ish when Cersei's trial happens, he can be brought out by the high sparrow as a surprise twist champion of the faith.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Succession is tricky. Keep in mind that Jon would be Rhaegar's bastard unless he and Lyanna married.

But is that how "bastards" work in the GOT world? Not sure if I know of any offspring brought forth from 2 confirmed members of proper houses, that weren't married to each other. Most Bastards seem to come from a commoner and a "House" member.

I'm on the fence of what LF might be attempting to do, if he in fact reveals it to Jon, at that particular time. I feel it's more of a threat than a "You could actually claim the Kingdom"

But is that how "bastards" work in the GOT world? Not sure if I know of any offspring brought forth from 2 confirmed members of proper houses, that weren't married to each other. Most Bastards seem to come from a commoner and a "House" member.

I'm on the fence of what LF might be attempting to do, if he in fact reveals it to Jon, at that particular time. I feel it's more of a threat than a "You could actually claim the Kingdom"

What? Yes, that's how bastards work. The literal definition of "bastard" in this series is "a person whose parents, at the time of their birth, were not married to each other." Hence the operative question being whether Rhaegar and Lyanna married in secret, or not.

Rodhull

it is, Edric Storm was the son of Robert and a member of the Florent family.Unacknowledged bastards with commoners like Gendry tend to have no surname.Although I'm sure there probably are examples from the books that may contradict that.

dubq

I don't necessarily think Syrio is going to show up or anything, but I also don't think that it's out of the realm of possibility for someone of his skill to outsmart someone like Meryn Trant and escape.

That's why I do think the show is going to have a different ending from the books. I just don't see D&D pushing the message "War is terrible," especially if he ends with Azor Ahai killing the White Walkers.

War looks pretty awful in the show. They just don't focus on that as much as they should(its really mostly the Riverlands stories that have this theme)
Even if Azor Ahai kills the White Walkers I doubt it won't come at a cost. White walkers getting crushed without ludicrous casualties would be too easy,even for the show.
Also I remember D&D talking about a holy shit moment GRRM told them would happen towards the end. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't mind the slow pace (the King's Landing storyline might be my favorite this season) but Jon's story is still dull to me. Everything that's happened so far has been extremely predictable so it feels like going through the motions. We knew he would come back the dead, join up with Sansa, and recruit Northern houses, and those events played out without any twists to liven them up.

Well we do have Sansa trying to mess things up with secret letters etc.

Turin

Banned
Pretty sure it'll turn out that Jon's still a bastard.

It remains to be seen but I'm not sure his parentage is meant to have any monarchical significance. I do think t'll probably have some sort of significance to the story beyond just Jon having a cool genetic pedigree.

This scene from season 5 seems to support that LF theory.

Yeah, I've kind of expect that Littlefinger witnessed Lyanna and Rhaegar together either as they ran off or interactions at the tournament.

Not if Rhaegar and Lyanna were married during the missing year.

Don't put too much importance in Rhaeger's existing marriage. They don't exactly have marriage licenses in Westeros or Essos.

And Targaryen's have an established history of polygamy, not sure how Elia would feel about them marrying but Dornish culture seems pretty open otherwise. I don't think it'll matter in the end but maybe just be something that creates conflict with Dany.

Chris R

ep 8 news (spoiler too I guess)
More lem can only mean good things ahead, even if it doesn't mean Stoneheart. Hound vs Brotherhood should be an awesome fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom