• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceHorror

2 years hasn't passed in the show.

I thought Edmure confirmed it has been over a year if not more since the Red Wedding? I mean, at least enough time has passed for his son to be born so that's at least 8-9 months. So yeah, I'd say even if it hasn't been two years Cat Stark's corpse is too far gone to resurrect her now.

She's either already around or she's not coming back.

She's not coming back.

All the speculation last week seems so adorably naive in hindsight.

"That totally wasn't Arya!!!"
"Did you see how casual she was, out in the open?"
"Arya would never be so careless after running from the Faceless Men!"
"She's LEFT HANDED!"

People didn't want to believe the show can be that awful fanwanked a better plot, only to be smacked in the face with reality that the show can indeed be that awful.

Moff

I think that was easily the episode 8 with the most shocking deaths so far:

- book jaime
- cleganebowl
- lady stoneheart
- faceless arya

for a moment I thought varys was off to kill kevan and pycelle, but the way kevan treats cersei she is probably gonna send robert strong or qyBURN wildfyre after them

Jayof9s

I really don't think LSH is happening but I do admit it's a bit suspicious to bring back Thoros and Beric (and Brotherhood out of nowhere) for apparently no big reason.

If it is it will be the closing shot of the last episode.

Even with the show's dubious timelines, Cat has been dead for more than a year at this point. Edmure was able to knock up his bride on the wedding night and she has already given birth, so at a minimum it's been 9 months but Edmure literally said he had been imprisoned for 'years'. She was either already brought back and they're really keeping her quiet and Beric didn't die in the process OR they're going to be raising a skeleton.

Or more likely, they just decided to replace her with other characters.

Why did Edmure 'why would I trust the Kingslayer.' Tully betray the Blackfish and hand over Riverrun for the non-chance that Jaime or the Freys would allow him to live with his 'wife'. Who he's only seen once, who was probably in on the plot for all he knows. He's never seen the baby so it may not even be his.
Why does he give a shit?

I'm pretty sure it was more about the threat of his son he hasn't even been able to meet at this point. He fully believed Jamie would kill his son to end the siege if he had to.

duckroll

Are you sure? Don't confuse the books with the show. Time on the show seems very flexible. It has been suggested that the showrunners are treating it as 1 season = 1 year, even though it makes no sense in some story context.

I think that was easily the episode 8 with the most shocking deaths so far:

- book jaime
- cleganebowl
- lady stoneheart
- faceless arya

rdlol.gif

Are you sure? Don't confuse the books with the show. Time on the show seems very flexible. It has been suggested that the showrunners are treating it as 1 season = 1 year, even though it makes no sense in some story context.
Well Edmure said he was locked up "for years" but his internal clock could be fucked from being in prison for a long time. We do know his child was born, so it has been at least 9 mos

duckroll

Well Edmure said he was locked up "for years" but his internal clock could be fucked from being in prison for a long time. We do know his child was born, so it has been at least 9 mos

He isn't the only one. Mycella alluded to a long period of time spent in Dorne too, when Jaime came to get her. Benjen also tells Bran that when he last saw him, he was just a little boy, suggesting years, not just a year or two.

It's hard to justify consistently, but it is what it is. For some characters, the show has spanned 6 years or so.

Ratrat

I'm pretty sure it was more about the threat of his son he hasn't even been able to meet at this point. He fully believed Jamie would kill his son to end the siege if he had to.
How does he even think that the marriage is legit? He hasn't seen his wife since the Red Wedding, you know, the trap to destroy the Starks and Tullys. And they haven't established why he'd continue to be valuable alive once Riverrun fell, but he believes Jaime enough that he wants to hand over the Blackfish. Even though its apparently really easy to let people escape.

He isn't the only one. Mycella alluded to a long period of time spent in Dorne too, when Jaime came to get her. Benjen also tells Bran that when he last saw him, he was just a little boy, suggesting years, not just a year or two.

It's hard to justify consistently, but it is what it is. For some characters, the show has spanned 6 years or so.
Honestly I don't think the show has any concrete passing of time across all of the characters. I gave up on trying to timeline it a couple seasons ago. The way the younger actors naturally age in real life doesn't help either haha

Jayof9s

How does he even think that the marriage is legit? He hasn't seen his wife since the Red Wedding, you know, the trap to destroy the Starks and Tullys. And they haven't established why he'd continue to be valuable alive once Riverrun fell, but he believes Jaime enough that he wants to hand over the Blackfish. Even though its apparently really easy to let people escape.

I don't think he gives a shit about the wedding or even his wife. I don't see why that invalidates him caring about his son though. If you can't understand why a father would want to protect his own offspring regardless of if he cares about the mother or not, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it for you...

Gigglepoo

So, Arya "lured" the waif out but still got fatally wounded only to be healed by nothing? She lived from the same wounds that killed Talia! Nice consistency.

The whole Jaqen/Arya trade-

Jaqen always knew that Arya was Arya, and that she would always be Arya. That's why when she claimed she was no one, he would say 'No you are Arya Stark of Winterfell'. Over and over and over again. Then when she gets blinded, he says 'You are ready to be no one', again pulling reverse psychology on her. Then she runs away, kills waif, and comes back, he says 'You are no one.' So when she announces that she's Arya Stark of Winterfell, Jaqen more or less does a small smirk and lets her go, despite her fucking up his shit.

Jaqen always knew that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell, and always knew she would never be no one. He said so as much from the earlier seasons, and he kept reinforcing it in the beginning of last season.

mantidor

I just thought of something else.

When Arya cut off the Waif's face, shouldn't there have been another one underneath?

As per the end of season 5, we saw Jaqen kill himself, and the Waif pull off her face and reveal herself to be another Jaqen. Hence, the face has already been added to the Hall, and the original Waif is already dead.

Fuck this, I'm clearly putting more thought into it than D&D did. At least it's all over.

Why do we keep doing this, it was clearly an hallucination, nothing points out they can reproduce the face of a living person.

And talking about faces, this is something else Arya learned, she can use faces now and knows how to make them, it was the whole point of the last scene. I agree Arya's arc was handled poorly, but it's far from filler or waste, she will absolutely use faces in Westeros, it's like, guaranteed. Arya before the FM would have tried to kill Walder Frey and died, she knew she wasn't ready, now she is.

Ratrat

I don't think he gives a shit about the wedding. I don't see why that invalidates him caring about his son though. If you can't understand why a father would want to protect his own offspring regardless, I'm not sure I will be able to explain it for you...
If he hasn't seen his wife he doesnt know if she was part of the plot, they wouldn't be in love, and he wouldn't know if child was actually his. It could be argued he'd loathe her and the child. He got drunk and lured away as everyone was murdered by his brides family. He's been rotting in a cell, threatened with execution every day. The conversation is basically, 'I don't trust you. Oh, you want to fuck your sister again? Okay deal.'

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
pretty sure it's based entirely on book lore on the hound hanging out at the quiet isle with a septon. since robert strong would be cersei's champion, they tie the whole valonqar stuff into it.

more obvious result of course is that, like the show, there won't be a trial by combat, or that robert strong will just crush some nobody/lancel.

Ah, I see. I've only read the books once, so I don't remember a lot of the particulars. I still can't really see The Hound fighting for the faith. I really need to reread the books again. It's been a super long time.

Gigglepoo

Seriously, though, what are the cleverest solutions D&D have come up with? It seems like simple, streamlined plot developments whenever they don't have the source material to guide them. Logic be dammed, we're doing this quickly and easy!

fuzzyset

Seriously, though, what are the cleverest solutions D&D have come up with? It seems like simple, streamlined plot developments whenever they don't have the source material to guide them. Logic be dammed, we're doing this quickly and easy!

I still think the Brienne v Hound fight and dialogue is some of the best stuff from the show and possibly books.

That episode was bad. I've been enjoying this season as a separate thing from the books, but between almost-but-nevermind-Book-Jaime, Arya, and that fucking wave from Brienne and Jaime, yuck. I guess it's gonna take Cersei burning down King's Landing for Jaime to turn on her, which is the only place I see his story going. He's going to kill her before it can happen and fulfill the prophecy while re-living his worst moment. ItsLikePoetry.gif

Chris R

Episode was baaaaarely ahead of Ep1 from this season. Only saving grace was no bad pooc, but who knows, maybe they come back next year!

Jaqen always knew that Arya was Arya, and that she would always be Arya. That's why when she claimed she was no one, he would say 'No you are Arya Stark of Winterfell'. Over and over and over again. Then when she gets blinded, he says 'You are ready to be no one', again pulling reverse psychology on her. Then she runs away, kills waif, and comes back, he says 'You are no one.' So when she announces that she's Arya Stark of Winterfell, Jaqen more or less does a small smirk and lets her go, despite her fucking up his shit.

Jaqen always knew that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell, and always knew she would never be no one. He said so as much from the earlier seasons, and he kept reinforcing it in the beginning of last season.

Thus confirming that it was all a waste of everyone's time.

deleted

What would that have accomplished though? Killing Edmures son would've not ended the siege at all. Or is his son the last of the Tullies?

Okayish episode. Loved the parts with Dandarion and the Hound. Those guys give off a nice chemistry. Stupid end of the siege and the blackfish. Died for nothing instead of helping the cause - may fit the character though, now that I think about it. Stupid intermission for Aria. So much happens offscreen but we have to see this played out in full? Nobody could have told her: 'Btw the actress got murdered really conveniently unstrange, so you could've just killed her yourself'? So we could have been spared this whole part of the episode? And why is she almost immune to being stabbed in the guts when everyone else on the show would've died in minutes?

After some really solid episodes, this one doesn't really hold up for me.

At least it's pretty clear to me how the intermission of Daenerys will end: Attack with dragons, Masters flee, get backstabbed by drowned ones, she gets ships and sets off to Westeros. Maybe even as a season finale.
Not sure what the lesson from her arc is though - slaughter your enemies asap when conquering without mercy, so you can rule without being disturbed?

TRios Zen

So the expectation for next show is that Jon and Sansa's forces are likely to be loosing the battle of the Bastards to be saved by Littlefinger and the forces of the Vale, right?

Damn there is so much about the northern story line that rings hollow for me in the show. I'm honestly not sure what can be done to provide an enjoyable resolution there for me.

I feel like GOT is slipping from the "must watch on release" status to "DVR and watch before next week", which is a shame because I really like having a Sunday show to look forward to.

Damn, its the eve of E3 and I got GOT depression.

studyguy

Arya was simply dealing with videogame logic.

Taken a gut wound that should absolutely have turned septic? Nah eat some food, drink some opioids and have some lady who can stitch your intestines back together while you take a nap. #lazysunday

Arya was simply dealing with videogame logic.

Taken a gut wound that should absolutely have turned septic? Nah eat some food, drink some opioids and have some lady who can stitch your intestines back together while you take a nap. #lazysunday

I thought, "Oh, fuck, how is Arya going to get out of this one? It's just been a day since she was all fucked up from the stabb--oh there she goes out the window"

So, we got Cleganebowl unconfirmed? And LSH is once again dead in the water, too. I totally see the Brotherhood heading north to fight the Walkers next.

Seeing Dondarrion again was pretty cool, though. I totally want him to meet Jon and share the Stannis' nod now.

Cersei's face when Tommen banned trial by combat was great, though. Poor boy's not long for this world at this point, I'm afraid.

When Qyburn told her about his little birds, what was he referring to? Was it Tyrion being in Mereen, like the cutaway suggested?

Arya's victory felt a bit contrived, but was totally boss. Just wish she'd actually led the Waif into a trap instead of just getting lucky. Also wish we'd found out why the Waif hated her guts.

Some brutal deaths this episode, too. I shouted "goddamn" when Zombie Gregor ripped the head off that sparrow. And lady Crane getting impaled on that chair? Jesus fuck.

Dany's return to Mereen is quick, but not unwelcome. Now just get the Ironborn there so they can start assaulting Westeros.

Arya ultimately walking away feels like a victory, but I got the feeling Jaqen isn't done with her yet. Excited to see her go to Westeros, though. I fucking hope Jon and Sansa don't lose the battle next episode. This show is due some good old-fashioned victory laps.

Preview talk/TWOW released chapter talk:

I liked the re-appropriation of the exchange between Stannis and Theon being bolted on (see what I did there?) to Sansa and Jon.
Jon: "I've fought worse than this Ramsay guy beyond the Wall".
Sansa: "You don't. Know him."

studyguy

When Qyburn told her about his little birds, what was he referring to? Was it Tyrion being in Mereen, like the cutaway suggested?

Likely the wildfire under King's Landing. She's probably going to burn KL to the ground. I'd wager she kills Tommen by accident, cue Jaime killing her as he did the Mad King, Danny showing up going 'ffs this is what I fought for?' and the others showing up at the same time to say hello.

Now we're fighting at king's landing while it's on fire and all epic and we waste the entire CG budget in a single episode.

Also Brienne and Pod were last seen floating off on a boat. I guess they're off to the void where Gendry went off to.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Like I get that this was basically a journey for Arya to discover who she truly is after being on the lam for a few seasons. I think the problem is partly that the series is heavily plot driven, so adding a "character piece" makes it seem like wasted time.

The whole getting stabbed... that's pretty Arrow-level handling of injury, which I'm used to. (But it's also disappointing to see. One of the things I love about ASOIAF is it's relative realistic depiction of injury, magic aside.)

The absolute worst is Jaqen treating Arya's epiphany like a Mentos ad. If the whole goal was to help Arya see who she truly is, just hit it hard. The whole situation plays off like if the Mafia sent a hitman to get you, but you just deliver the Don the head of said hitman. It turns out he's totes cool with it and lets you leave.

If the Battle of the Bastards ends with an unexpected third force showing up to change the tide it's going to be very annoying, given that that's exactly how two major battles have played out already.

And yeah, really hoping Arya actually has something to show for her two full seasons in Braavos.

I hope the trial-by-combat stuff works out the same in the books, though - I liked that twist.

I predict the Arya getting stabbed 3 times gif will get some much usage on the forum in the future it will rival Marion Cotillard dying gif.

If the Battle of the Bastards ends with an unexpected third force showing up to change the tide it's going to be very annoying, given that that's exactly how two major battles have played out already.

And yeah, really hoping Arya actually has something to show for her two full seasons in Braavos.

I hope the trial-by-combat stuff works out the same in the books, though - I liked that twist.

The first two mirror the books though right?

And maybe the third one does too.

How big is the Tyrell Army?

Because I think they are going to back-door their way to the Iron Throne while everyone else is distracted with their various goings ons.

Gigglepoo

After all the crazy Braavos theories I read over the past week, I don't think I saw anyone come up with the idea that Arya would miraculously survive all those stab wounds.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After all the crazy Braavos theories I read over the past week, I don't think I saw anyone come up with the idea that Arya would miraculously survive all those stab wounds.

I think everyone assumed she would survive, and the stab wounds were nothing but a way to pad out her story this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom