• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat

After all the crazy Braavos theories I read over the past week, I don't think I saw anyone come up with the idea that Arya would miraculously survive all those stab wounds.

It's funny that so many people came up with or believed theories to try and explain what they saw, but it turned out to just be shitty writing.

Henkka

Banned
Jaime should've been like

"Wait... Lady Sansa? As in Sansa Stark? You mean Tyrion's wife, currently wanted for the murder of king Joffrey? That Sansa Stark?"

Oh, no loglines? That's no matter, I'll help make up accurate ones for those who need it!

6x09: Battle of the Bastards - Jon confronts his nemesis. Sansa worries. Littlefinger rides.

6x10: The Winds of Winter - The High Sparrow makes his move. Bran arrives at his destination. Daenerys unleashes her wrath.

Heh. I was saying to my friends last night:

6x09: Battle of the Bastards - Jon and Ramsay disagree.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
but seriously, myrcella, doran and trystane are all murdered in a coup, and somehow the rest of the realm is not at war with dorne?

Yeah that episode sucked. One of the worst of the series. I did enjoy the Hound killing some fools ("you're shit at dying, you know that?"), and Tyrion and Varys' scene. Did anybody else get the distinct impression that is the last time they are ever going to see each other? It felt like a final farewell to me.

Finnroth

Unless there is still some twist to come, the Arya storyline as executed in the show is one of single worst pieces of writing I have ever encountered. I know this sounds like hyperbole, but there really is no redeeming to be found here o_O

Unless there is still some twist to come, the Arya storyline as executed in the show is one of single worst pieces of writing I have ever encountered. I know this sounds like hyperbole, but there really is no redeeming to be found here o_O

...Dorne? Both are pretty awful, but at least with Dorne, it moved some pieces around the board. Arya's storyline just basically paid some supremely unsatisfying lip service to "finding herself" and put her back in place.

Archer

Yeah that episode sucked. One of the worst of the series. I did enjoy the Hound killing some fools ("you're shit at dying, you know that?"), and Tyrion and Varys' scene. Did anybody else get the distinct impression that is the last time they are ever going to see each other? It felt like a final farewell to me.

Yep, I got that impression as well. I think Varys will live...........and Tyrion won't. Dunno why, just a feeling.

Speevy

Banned
I've written the loglines for the last 2 episodes. Please spoiler tag any discussion.

Battle of the Bastards

Jon worries about his battle. Ramsay plays a game, Petyr Baelish visits a new place.

The Winds of Winter

Cersei warms up to the faith. Tommen meets his family. Bran hears a promise.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think the problem with the episode was that it typified all of the worst tendencies of the show: way too many plot threads in a single episode, a bunch of random call-backs that don't seem particularly important, Jaime's character feels pointless in the show (which completely ruined the impact of Brienne/Jaime meeting again), Riverrun was meaningless within the story, Arya's story feels pointless (and she's apparently an idiot to boot), the Dorne plot is forgotten entirely, the High Septon/King's Landing plot is moving at a glacial pace (and its a heel-heel plot in that there's no reason to root for either Cersei or the High Septon).

I'm not saying the SHOW is bad, its just that an entire episode focusing on all the uninteresting B-plots is bound to be bad. There are several plots that we didn't visit in this episode and almost all of them are the interesting ones - Jon, Sansa, Littlefinger, Bran, Ramsay.

Finnroth

...Dorne? Both are pretty awful, but at least with Dorne, it moved some pieces around the board. Arya's storyline just basically paid some supremely unsatisfying lip service to "finding herself" and put her back in place.

True, Dorne was also pretty aweful, but at least there is a possible predecent for some future plot, the story could at least be moving in some direction. Arya was basically wasted with this storyline entirely.
I mean Dorne was just dumb and cut very short, but Arya was not only pointless but also not at all believable.

Tuck

Its a shame, since Arya's Faceless Man plotline is one of my favorites in the series.

But what they did to Dorne is far worse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

What are people expecting to happen in the books? Bravos being a place for her to learn, train, then go back home, always seemed like the path.

The two show-only people I watched the episode with loved it. why. There was some action and some people got killed. Guess that's all that's needed. This series is fucked.

Finnroth

Its a shame, since Arya's Faceless Man plotline is one of my favorites in the series.

But what they did to Dorne is far worse.

Since this is a "no books" thread, I will not go into detail, but I can see your point on Dorne. However, from what was used in the show and the amount of exposition I still feel Arya takes the cake here :(

Edit: I am an idiot, somehow I read the topic wrong.

So to go into more detail, yeah Dorne was a sham. I still don't understand why they even bothered after condensing the plotline into meaningless exposition and characters while leaving out one of the better ones. But at least, when considering the show alone, the plot was always so non-committal that it never wasted too much time and was more on the confusing side.

Edit2: I don't want to sound bitter, I actually enjoyed most of the show, just it feels there're too many holes and bad writing undermining the concept and execution :(

Speevy

Banned
It's not the "what" that's so bad, it's the "how" and "why"

If D and D wrote the The Three Little Pigs, the wolf would burn the first house down and talk about his dick, rape the second house, and the encounter at the third house would happen off screen.

Arkeband

Banned
I posted this in the other thread when I meant to post it here:

Random thought I had.

So Arya's Braavos trip was basically a waste of time minus some further combat training.

But could she have taken a face from the chamber?

The Waif's face was (sloppily) slapped into a slot, but we don't see any other empty slots. Did she take one and replace it with the Waif's?

It would make sense to me if she goes back to Westeros and uses the one Faceless Men trick at least once.

Someone go investigate the surrounding faces and see if we've been given a hint as to which one she might have swapped out!

CBgJQco.jpg

This gave me a good laugh. Oh man. Its a pleasure to have the Hound back.

What are people expecting to happen in the books? Bravos being a place for her to learn, train, then go back home, always seemed like the path.

As for the show- what did she actually learn while in Braavos? In what way has her character grown since first arriving in Braavos, aside from becoming more proficient at fighting in the dark?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
While it now seems like LSH isn't coming, I did like the actor for Beric, and hope he has a decent part going forward. Though, after Blackfish's return leading to an immediate offscreen death, I fully assume Beric's dead body in the near future will accidentally slide off a cliff before Thoros can revive him, leading to his Perma-Death.

Speevy

Banned
As for the show- what did she actually learn while in Braavos? In what way has her character grown since first arriving in Braavos, aside from becoming more proficient at fighting in the dark?

Well, she was supposed to learn that she is a real person, and not some entity meant for the killing of others, that she does have a family and some of them are still alive. They just left that out of the script.

ACR0019

I'm not sure they covered it as well as they could've, but I thought they were hammering home the fact that she now knows mercy compared to the Arya we saw last season.

It's unsatisfying, regardless of whether or not you read the books or have an expectation.

Honestly, in the books, I expected her to succeed, become No One or Faceless or whatever, and have that kinda be a starting point for various missions or what have you across the world, traveling, meeting new people, contextualizing the main storylines and conflicts, etc.

I didn't expect it to be:

"I was Arya Stark and I want to be No One."
"I am Arya Stark and I don't want to be No One" + some killing abilities

I can appreciate that she is more confident in who she is now and what she wants to be, but

a)it took way too long and the journey was uninteresting? Some cool kills aside, the training and the characters were just not that interesting. Lots of "it's a secret because it's a secret" pseudo-mystery and nonsense dialogue ("nothing is nothing" from Arya comes to mind) not amounting to much
b)it feels too random and unearned--what pushed her to want to just be Arya and go to Westeros? She left the Faceless because of moral issues killing for money. Just a few moments earlier, she talked about wanting to explore. "I am Arya Stark and I'm going to Westeros" felt kinda out of nowhere, even though I realize it eventually HAD to happen

Lothar

Banned

The only thing she learned to do is something that can't be shown on camera apparently. Isn't that great for us?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How is Littlefinger even getting his army up through The Neck? Didn't they make a huge point about how Moat Cailin is impenetrable from the south?

Was he "near" Moat Cailin, or "at" Moat Cailin? The latter means he literally is on the way north, and can simply just go north.

Speevy

Banned
Ramsay needed tricks to get into Moat Cailin.

Littlefinger just needs his giant birds to carry each Vale knight over the castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom