• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
but seriously, myrcella, doran and trystane are all murdered in a coup, and somehow the rest of the realm is not at war with dorne?

Who do you think "the rest of the realm" even are? More-or-less simultaneously, Balon got couped, Roose got couped, Cersei got couped. As far as we know the Baratheons are extinguished. The Tyrells are mixed up in the Sparrow mess, and The Vale has been isolationist since Jon Aryn's death.

pulls a stannis and summons a fleet of transports.

The great naval empire of The Eyrie

Was he "near" Moat Cailin, or "at" Moat Cailin? The latter means he literally is on the way north, and can simply just go north.

But then he must have already taken his army past it earlier at some point. Which would have been equally impossible.

I mean I guess he could have pretended to be on the side of the Bolton's and be let through, but would the Boltons really be that dumb?

He can just teleport through that shit, brah.

Yeah, we all know this is what will happen :/

Speevy

Banned
Who do you think "the rest of the realm" even are? More-or-less simultaneously, Balon got couped, Roose got couped, Cersei got couped. As far as we know the Baratheons are extinguished. The Tyrells are mixed up in the Sparrow mess, and The Vale has been isolationist since Jon Aryn's death.

Skagos still gots cannibals.

Jayof9s

After all the crazy Braavos theories I read over the past week, I don't think I saw anyone come up with the idea that Arya would miraculously survive all those stab wounds.

I had an inkling she would be saved by the actress she had 'saved' the previous episode. I just thought it would be pretty stupid with the extent of injuries she had. Proof I'm not just shouting 'called it' afterwards: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205816733&highlight=#post205816733

Violet_0

Banned
that chase scene through Braavos was comical (not to mention that Aria is pretty agile for someone who has been repeatedly stabbed in the belly the other day). Let's be honest, the Waif was just an awful character and the whole Braavos arc a waste if time, but at least we're done with it now and Jaqen is still quite alright

also worth noting that the season immediately improved when the Hound showed up. Maybe the lack of the Hound is what really brought down S5

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's unsatisfying, regardless of whether or not you read the books or have an expectation.

Honestly, in the books, I expected her to succeed, become No One or Faceless or whatever, and have that kinda be a starting point for various missions or what have you across the world, traveling, meeting new people, contextualizing the main storylines and conflicts, etc.

I didn't expect it to be:

"I was Arya Stark and I want to be No One."
"I am Arya Stark and I don't want to be No One" + some killing abilities

I can appreciate that she is more confident in who she is now and what she wants to be, but

a)it took way too long and the journey was uninteresting? Some cool kills aside, the training and the characters were just not that interesting. Lots of "it's a secret because it's a secret" pseudo-mystery and nonsense dialogue ("nothing is nothing" from Arya comes to mind) not amounting to much
b)it feels too random and unearned--what pushed her to want to just be Arya and go to Westeros? She left the Faceless because of moral issues killing for money. Just a few moments earlier, she talked about wanting to explore. "I am Arya Stark and I'm going to Westeros" felt kinda out of nowhere, even though I realize it eventually HAD to happen

I would certainly agree with anyone who thinks the books did (will do) it better, but I still think the destination for her is the same.

but seriously, myrcella, doran and trystane are all murdered in a coup, and somehow the rest of the realm is not at war with dorne?

The lack of consequences and how ALL of Dorne had to be in cahoots with the Sand Snakes has been my main problem with the Dorne plot.

It was completely redundant too - they could've given us a scene of Cersei opening up that cool snake-shaped letter box and read a message that Myrcella was killed and Dorne is preparing to march on the Lannisters in revenge for Oberyn's death.
Boom, done. No need for bad pussy or other dumbass shit.

The great naval empire of The Eyrie

The Vale does have naval power. For starters, the Three Sisters are somewhat of a pirate haven, and then of course there's Gulltown, which is one of the bigger coastal cities in Westeros. Gulltown is basically the trading hub of the Vale. The fifth biggest city iirc as well, after King's Landing, Lannisport, Oldtown and White Harbour.

I would certainly agree with anyone who thinks the books did (will do) it better, but I still think the destination for her is the same.

Yeah, but execution matters. But I guess it's much easier in the books where you can get inside the heads of the characters. Arya taking on different identities has been a huge part of her story throughout all the books. Having her go through this journey to find herself will make more sense there.

I also fully expect her using her warging powers to get out of a similar predicament in the book, further rooting her in her identify as a Stark.

The only acceptable "character development" around here seems to be a fight between major characters. I guess Arya simply didnt kill enough people on screen to not have been a "waste" of time.

True. I just wish they had executed it better, is all. There was some kind of compelling story in there.

I'm not saying she wasn't justified, just that she's no more merciful now than when she killed Trant.

"Mercy" is literally the only thing Waif was unwilling to give her. If anything, Arya is more "fuck mercy" than ever, although she didn't kill Jaqen. So there's that.

Ithil

Not only killed her, but killed her like the demon from "It Follows". Like she broke her over a chair or something, I don't even know what that was supposed to be.

She just cut her throat, the actress then fell over, having been standing on a stool.

Gigglepoo

The only acceptable "character development" around here seems to be a fight between major characters. I guess Arya simply didnt kill enough people on screen to not have been a "waste" of time.

What!? That's not true at all. Character development means growth or change. That's what matters. I don't know where you're getting "Arya didn't kill enough people" from.

"Mercy" is literally the only thing Waif was unwilling to give her. If anything, Arya is more "fuck mercy" than ever, although she didn't kill Jaqen. So there's that.

She killed mercilessly before going to Braavos. She killed mercilessly leaving Braavos.

Aurongel

So why are people criticizing Jaime's character yesterday? It read to me as him upholding at least more honor than people would give him credit for by not directly attacking the castle and resolving the conflict (mostly) by diplomacy. It legitimized much of what was setup by his relationship to Brienne in the prior seasons. In an episode filled to the brim with pointless callbacks and poor resolutions, Jaime's stuff seemed pretty good.

The Vale does have naval power. For starters, the Three Sisters are somewhat of a pirate haven, and then of course there's Gulltown, which is one of the bigger coastal cities in Westeros. Gulltown is basically the trading hub of the Vale. The fifth biggest city iirc as well, after King's Landing, Lannisport, Oldtown and White Harbour.

Don't think the Sistermen would follow the call to arms, but you're right about Gulltown, so I guess that's how they do it. Hopefully they go through White Harbour and join up with the Manderlys.

So why are people criticizing Jaime's character yesterday? It read to me as him upholding at least more honor than people would give him credit for by not directly attacking the castle and resolving the conflict (mostly) by diplomacy. It legitimized much of what was setup by his relationship to Brienne in the prior seasons. In an episode filled to the brim with pointless callbacks and poor resolutions, Jaime's stuff seemed pretty good.

I think people are just pissed that he's in a different space with regards to his relationship to Cersei than in the books. In the context of the shower, his actions last episode were congruent with his character, and in the end the way the siege on Riverrun was ended was pretty close to how it went in the books. I didn't mind that part of the episode at all.

mantidor

What!? That's not true at all. Character development means growth or change. That's what matters. I don't know where you're getting "Arya didn't kill enough people" from.

She killed mercilessly before going to Braavos. She killed mercilessly leaving Braavos.

Are you saying that Arya before Braavos is the same Arya after Braavos? because that is simply not true.

edit: you and your ninja edits, she did not kill "mercilessly", she saved her own ass, the Red God needed a face and she gave it. It's not really that complicated honestly.

ACR0019

Why are y'all willfully ignoring the whole storyline with Lady Crane? It wasn't handled all that well, but you can definitely see what they were trying to do with it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't think the Sistermen would follow the call to arms, but you're right about Gulltown, so I guess that's how they do it. Hopefully they go through White Harbour and join up with the Manderlys.

This is what I was wondering might happen. Come in through that way, and sit just north of The Neck.

For me, it was all the "I live and breathe for Cersei" stuff. Especially after his great scenes with Brienne, his one true waifu.

EDIT: As said above, it's...fairly consistent with his TV character, I guess. But his TV character turning back to Cersei and just being there to help her, was already a reversal on his path towards redemption in the show.

Gigglepoo

How is she not more merciful? She was defending herself from the Waif whereas Trant was a gruesome, vengeful murder.

If she was merciful and shunned the Faceless Men ways, she wouldn't have gruesomely sliced off her enemy's face. That's the opposite of showing mercy. Imagine if she had given The Hound "mercy" in S4 by cutting off his face. Would that have made sense? Would you say " She's learned mercy!" as she holds his face?

Are you saying that Arya before Braavos is the same Arya after Braavos? because that is simply not true.

edit: you and your ninja edits, she did not kill "mercilessly", she saved her own ass, the Red God needed a face and she gave it. It's not really that complicated honestly.

You're responding to two different conversations.

ACR0019

If she was merciful and shunned the Faceless Men ways, she wouldn't have gruesomely sliced off her enemy's face. That's three opposite of showing mercy. Imagine is she had given The Hound mercy in S4 by cutting off his face. Would that have made sense? Would you say " She's learned mercy!" as she holds his face?

The Hound wasn't trying to kill Arya. She's vengeful, sure, but the mercy she displayed is her refusing to follow the Faceless Men's MO and kill Lady Crane just because.

Moff

Rumor floating around is
Wildfire stashes under King's Landing

that's the obvious first thought but wouldn't that be weird since it's hardly a secret that tyrion used those to blow up stannis' fleet in the blackwater? people did not wonder where that huge explosion came from?

maybe D&D just forgot

Gigglepoo

The Hound wasn't trying to kill Arya. She's vengeful, sure, but the mercy she displayed is her refusing to follow the Faceless Men's MO and kill Lady Crane just because.

She never killed just because, though. She always killed with a purpose. That wasn't something she learned in Braavos.

that's the obvious first thought but wouldn't that be weird since it's hardly a secret that tyrion used those to blow up stannis' fleet in the blackwater? people did not wonder where that huge explosion came from?

maybe D&D just forgot

Separate. That was stock that KL had, this is from Aerys time I think.

Joni

maybe D&D just forgot

Tyrion used freshly made wildfire, the old king had a secret stash he was planning to use when the city fell.

Lothar

Banned

He was never evil even in the beginning. When he killed Aerys, it was to save lives.

The fact that he said he would kill everyone to get back with his awful sister as fast as possible who he shouldn't even see eye to eye with now is still ridiculously shitty.

He was never evil even in the beginning. When he killed Aerys, it was to save lives.

The fact that he said he would kill everyone to get back with his awful sister as fast as possible who he shouldn't even see eye to eye with now is still ridiculously shitty.

This is the person everyone thinks he is. If he could get Edmure to believe that, it makes it easier to convince him.

did he? i thought he just found the stash and used some of it. of course i have no idea why he would leave the rest down there, unless there were more than one stash.

He bought up all of the pyromancers' stock and had them make as much as they possibly could, then used it all up in the Blackwater battle.

but there are other hidden stashes that Tyrion didn't find.

plus this

Moff

He did, but there are other hidden stashes that Tyrion didn't find.

absolutely
but it would still be weird if that was such a huge surprise/secret that needed investigation, that explosion was a huge bang after all

but I guess if they really knew about it they would have removed it from the red keep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom