• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't it lame that his main priority still seems to be Cersei? In the books, he was burning her letter, refusing her, and was focused entirely on "How can I put this right without breaking my vows?"

It's different. Not necessarily lame. I think they have sold the relationship between Jaime and Cersei well, even though it means that Jaime's arc has regressed a bit compared to the books. If he still loves her, him turning on her when she gets ready to burn King's Landing down will just be more tragic.

Moff

believe it or not, I'm fine with jaime still being with cersei, I was never a huge fan of that change in the relationship in the books and show jaime is still one of my favourite characters. he will be there at the very end of the saga, mark my words.

As mixed as this last episode was, it did have me wondering who will die by the end of this season. I had a moment of panic when Brienne told Jaime she'd have to fight him if she failed the negotiation (which she did).

Speevy

Banned
As mixed as this last episode was, it did have me wondering who will die by the end of this season. I had a moment of panic when Brienne told Jaime she'd have to fight him if she failed the negotiation (which she did).

But he didn't attack Riverrun.

Presumably the present Lannisters, sans Tywin didn't hang all the Tully soldiers.

I'm not sure what Captain Fuckyoublackfish was so incensed about. He let them in.

It's different. Not necessarily lame. I think they have sold the relationship between Jaime and Cersei well, even though it means that Jaime's arc has regressed a bit compared to the books. If he still loves her, him turning on her when she gets ready to burn King's Landing down will just be more tragic.
Lol, 'a bit'.

His 'arc' kept on curving around through 360 degrees to complete a full circle.

I was invested in his development in the books, and looking forwards to what lies in store i the next book. I couldn't give a shit about what he does on the show anymore, nor Cersei. Her madness was entertaining in the books and her downfall glorious, but we got none of that in the show. Instead we got a sympathetic 'wronged' woman and loving mother (except for the occasions when she completely forgets about her recently murdered daughter). She became more monsterous than Joffrey ever was in the books but she and Jaime both are just fucking dull characters on the show.

Lol, 'a bit'.

His 'arc' kept on curving around through 360 degrees to complete a full circle.

I was invested in his development in the books, and looking forwards to what lies in store i the next book. I couldn't give a shit about what he does on the show anymore, nor Cersei. Her madness was entertaining in the books and her downfall glorious, but we got none of that in the show. Instead we got a sympathetic 'wronged' woman and loving mother (except for the occasions when she completely forgets about her recently murdered daughter). She became more monsterous than Joffrey ever was in the books but she and Jaime both are just fucking dull characters on the show.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad change. I like that they are making her more sympathetic rather than crazy, alcoholic and dumb. I didn't quite feel her characterization waw realistic in the books. It's more interesting this way where see her realistically break down in real time as even her son seemingly turns away from her

Lothar

Banned
It doesn't even make any sense. Because how can their relationship not be changed by Cersei confessing to sleeping with Lancel? Or Cersei knowing that Jaime released Tyrion from prison? Or Jaime being unable to protect their daughter? They have to have the characters ignore a whole lot just to make them dull.

But he didn't attack Riverrun.

Presumably the present Lannisters, sans Tywin didn't hang all the Tully soldiers.

I'm not sure what Captain Fuckyoublackfish was so incensed about. He let them in.

Yeah, when she failed, I was worried, but then Edmure happened.

Same re: Blackfish's anger. I actually was a little confused because the way he talked about it made it sound like Jaime was directly involved or had a hand in it.

Jayof9s

Same re: Blackfish's anger. I actually was a little confused because the way he talked about it made it sound like Jaime was directly involved or had a hand in it.

Well, there was the "The Lannisters send their regards" comment or whatever it was. Not that I know how the Blackfish would have known the specifics of what was said at that point but maybe it has been a long siege and he finally got caught up on the past GoT season DVDs...

Gigglepoo

If Jamie is killing Cercei, why not plant the seeds by revealing the entire prophecy? That's an added layer of tragedy given that Cercei believes Tyrion would kill her.

Of course, then you'd have to make Cercei care about finding her son's murderer...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Did Brienne ever tell Sansa or Jon that she met Arya?

I thought Brienne told Sansa in the forest around the time that she saved her and Theon from 6 of the 20.

If Jamie is killing Cercei, why not plant the seeds by revealing the entire prophecy? That's an added layer of tragedy given that Cercei believes Tyrion would kill her.

Of course, then you'd have to make Cercei care about finding her son's murderer...

I could never remember if it's implied that Cersei was born before Jamie or not.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad change. I like that they are making her more sympathetic rather than crazy, alcoholic and dumb. I didn't quite feel her characterization waw realistic in the books. It's more interesting this way where see her realistically break down in real time as even her son seemingly turns away from her
It really, really isn't interesting watching Cersei endlessly standing around pulling the same 'defiant' expression she's always had. There hasn't been any 'real time breakdown' occurring. We're just jumping straight from 'looking smug because Zombie Gregor is going to destroy whoever the faith's champion might be' to 'I'm going to blow everone up' with no development in between.

Jayof9s

Did Brienne ever tell Sansa or Jon that she met Arya?

I feel like it was implied/mentioned when Brienne and Sansa actually linked up. At which point, I would assume Sansa and Jon talked about it in their off-screen catch up time where they seemed to tell each other what they had been through.

Finally got to watch the episode.

The Arya story was just so non believable from last episode. Why didn't they just make the attack on her less severe? There is no way someone in her condition could have done anything she did. I'm surprised Jamie couldn't have regrown his hand after a good night's rest.

It also sort of makes me laugh at how desperate people are for something more assuming there's more, creating theories to justify stuff that happens.

And two off screen deaths this episode :\

Edumere off to Casterly Rock now (I doubt we'll see him again)? Tully forces killed off? Jamie to be back in KL next episode? Brienne arrives just in time for the Winterfell fight?

And I know it's been said before but I just can't stand how show Jamie is compared to book Jamie.

mantidor

I feel like it was implied/mentioned when Brienne and Sansa actually linked up. At which point, I would assume Sansa and Jon talked about it in their off-screen catch up time where they seemed to tell each other what they had been through.

It's also confirmed when Sansa name drops all their (living) siblings to Jon saying that wherever they are Winterfell also belongs to them.

Gigglepoo

The writers are pretty terrible with plot details and character growth, but I did really enjoy the conversations this episode. I laughed out loud at MIssandei's joke (and Grey Worm's dismissal of it) and thoroughly enjoyed every word The Hound said (even though his character has gone backward from where he was with Arya two seasons ago). Oh, and Bronn and Pod were aces. I'd be happier if the show just wrote fun scenes for these characters than tried to push the plot forward because, well, they're kind of terrible at anything that involves logic or movement.

If the Battle of the Bastards ends with an unexpected third force showing up to change the tide it's going to be very annoying, given that that's exactly how two major battles have played out already.

And yeah, really hoping Arya actually has something to show for her two full seasons in Braavos.

I hope the trial-by-combat stuff works out the same in the books, though - I liked that twist.

No you see the white walkers are going to show up so Jon and Ramsay are going to team up

Kain

Watched it.

The Meereen stuff was cute, then Dany came to ruin the day.

The Hound stuff was stellar, this guy is just the fucking best. Also, Cleganebowl seems very far away, it's not happening next week, that's for sure. Chicken.

Jaqen is a bit of a doofus, but at least Arya's adventures of inconsequence are over. The Terminator touches were nice. They were intentional in my mind, I don't believe it was all a coincidence. I just can't.

Jaime... well, he is a different beast than in the books, that's for sure. Or maybe the fallout with Cersei comes later or something, but at least he has a purpose.

Blackfish :(

I mean :((((((((((((((((( What the fuck, man, what are they doing? I hope it was a troll.

And Cersei is going to try and burn the whole city. If she is willing to take such drastic measures either

a) Tommen is dying sooner than later

b) Cersei herself is going to die

I just can't see KL burning.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So the Jaqen smirk after Arya says she's Arya. Was he fooled? Was that part of his plan? Is there something more to it? I have a hard time thinking the later after the whole Arya regressing to the level of moron in the last episode, but who knows.

Gigglepoo

So the Jaqen smirk after Arya says she's Arya. Was he fooled? Was that part of his plan? Is there something more to it? I have a hard time thinking the later after the whole Arya regressing to the level of moron in the last episode, but who knows.

He smirked so he wouldn't have to hunt her down for knowing about the Faceless Men and their secrets. Hand-wave smirk.

Matsukaze

And Cersei is going to try and burn the whole city. If she is willing to take such drastic measures either

a) Tommen is dying sooner than later

b) Cersei herself is going to die

I just can't see KL burning.
Well, there's no way Tommen outlives mommy dearest, so A it is. If he does survive episode 10, he's almost assuredly getting killed in the first couple episodes next season.

Joni

What if episode 9 ends with Varys killing Kevan and Tommen, leading to Cersei going crazy to end episode 10 with wildfire? Could be nice to fuck us in waiting a year to see the consequences.

flyover

What if episode 9 ends with Varys killing Kevan and Tommen, leading to Cersei going crazy to end episode 10 with wildfire? Could be nice to fuck us in waiting a year to see the consequences.

Maybe. Makes some sense. But that's if Varys is even going to KL. I think Cersei may wind up blowing up anyone there who's not in future plans for the show (and/or was killed by Varys in the books): Kevan, Tommen, Pycelle, and who knows who else. Maybe herself. Maybe Jaime. Maybe Pounce.

Brakke

Banned
He was never evil even in the beginning. When he killed Aerys, it was to save lives.

The fact that he said he would kill everyone to get back with his awful sister as fast as possible who he shouldn't even see eye to eye with now is still ridiculously shitty.

Define "the beginning" here. Trying to murder Bran and then immediately turning around to resume boning was pretty evil.

MoeDabs

Define "the beginning" here. Trying to murder Bran and then immediately turning around to resume boning was pretty evil.

He really didn't have much of a choice. Kid sees him smashing his sister. He either trusts that the kid won't say a word or he kills him. it is fucked, but it was self preservation.

Aurongel

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister)
Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister)
Kit Harington (Jon Snow)

Peter Dinklage was in this season...?

That spot belonged to the High Sparrow.

Lothar

Banned

Bran ruined Hodor and may wind up being responsible for the White Walkers getting past the wall. Jaime should have finished the job.

Didn't realize it was the Game of Thrones impersonator/comedian Steve Love with a cameo and getting his head lopped off in this week's episode.

3lapa0E.gif

duckroll

- WiCnet: Emmy Nominating Ballots: See what Season 6 episodes Game of Thrones thinks are worth awarding

Full list of everything HBO put on the nominating ballots for S6 of GoT.

My picks:

Production Design - The Broken Man

Cinematography - The Broken Man (haven't seen the finale obviously, so that might change). Amazing wide shots. No Battle of the Bastards?

Costumes - I'm surprised they're only putting forth the finale here, and not Battle of the Bastards too, given the preview...

Directing - Without even watching it, I think Battle of the Bastards has this one in the bag, but in terms of dramatic appeal The Door could stand out too.

Okay, I see that they decided to just center a huge number of the remaining awards on Battle of the Bastards, so they probably wanted to spread some of the others out. Lol.

No Ian McShane for Guest Actor? No Jonathan Pryce for Supporting Actor? What in the seven hells?

The writers are pretty terrible with plot details and character growth, but I did really enjoy the conversations this episode. I laughed out loud at MIssandei's joke (and Grey Worm's dismissal of it) and thoroughly enjoyed every word The Hound said (even though his character has gone backward from where he was with Arya two seasons ago). Oh, and Bronn and Pod were aces. I'd be happier if the show just wrote fun scenes for these characters than tried to push the plot forward because, well, they're kind of terrible at anything that involves logic or movement.

Yeah, a lot of the time these jokey scenes get dismissed as pointless, but they're usually pretty entertaining and hold together much better than the actual plot progression. (And Missandei's joke and Grey Worm's dismissal of it made me laugh too!)

I really don't know what we're supposed to make of the ending of this episode. Did the writers really think this was enough explanation? This made sense on its own and there didn't need to be any further clarification of Arya's arc was about?

I don't know how else to take Jaqen's behavior except "Jaqen's an idiot". How can he seriously think the Waif is "no one" when she's so vengeful and petty? How can he seriously think Arya is "no one" when she's so clearly rejected it? Has he just not been paying any attention the entire season? Or are the standards for becoming a Faceless Man just incredibly low?

mantidor

The Tyrion scene was awkward but it wasn't completely bad, it showed how much of an outsider Tyrion is in the east and how out of touch he is with their culture, also how he can be a positive influence, even if this is achieved by promoting alcoholism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom