• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doran wasn't even allowed to have his one badass moment (Fire and Blood speech). Waste of casting.

Yeah, that too. I loved that speech in the books so much, and when they cast Siddig as Doran, I was like "this is gonna be fucking awesome".

Yeah... yeah... :/

FootballFan

It's a Starz drama about pirates, kind of a prequel to treasure island. First season was a bit slow, but seasons 2 and 3 were great. If you're a fan on Spartacus and (sometimes) Game of Thrones, you should get on board!

Cool thanks for the recommendation. I do not hate the GOT show it just sometimes disappoints me

Aiii

So not worth it
The entire Dorne plot is like, a 180° of everything in the books. GRRM must be projectile vomiting.

GRRM is as much to blame for this shit as D&D are. Should have finished his shit so all this filler and make-believe alternate reality Westeros could have been avoided.

The only achievement of Dorne in books till now has been freeing the dragons.

It would be funny if in the books too Myrcella dies along with Trystane leading to the war between KL and Dorne.

Real Hero

GRRM is as much to blame for this shit as D&D are. Should have finished his shit so all this filler and make-believe alternate reality Westeros could have been avoided.

No that's dumb, you can't blame him for the quality of a show he basically has nothing to do with now

So we should blame the author of the books for not having finished the seventh book yet? I doubt that would've had any impact on the show. In fact, they already 180°'d plenty of the characters from Dorne.
He's also not been involved with the writing on the show for a while, either.

The only achievement of Dorne in books till now has been freeing the dragons.

That's the most overt achievement yes. There's other things that Doran very likely had his fingers in, and I do not believe that Quentyn Quest was his masterplan. Quite the contrary.

Aiii

So not worth it
No that's dumb, you can't blame him for the quality of a show he basically has nothing to diw ithnow

I can blame him all day long for:
1. Writing one book every six or seven years.
2. Allowing a show to exist despite not completing the source material.
3. Allowing D&D to make this show.
4. Withholding the story from everyone, including D&D.

This entire mess could have been avoided if GRRM finished the stories before he allowed an adaptation. Or, if he created a proper outline so the show could finish the story as intended, instead of having to make up their own.

Real Hero

I can blame him all day long for:
1. Writing one book every six or seven years.
2. Allowing a show to exist despite not completing the source material.
3. Allowing D&D to make this show.
4. Withholding the story from everyone, including D&D.

This entire mess could have been avoided if GRRM finished the stories before he allowed an adaptation. Or, if he created a proper outline so the show could finish the story as intended, instead of having to make up their own.

It's still dumb to blame him for the quality of a show he isn't writing or directing

No that's dumb, you can't blame him for the quality of a show he basically has nothing to do with now

Show is streamlining a lot of GRRM's additions. No Aegeon means there is no reason for Doran to be there. This also means Aegeon dies at some point in the next book and is a false heir.

I am overall fine with it. Book can have 20 running story lines, show can't.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's still dumb to blame him for the quality of a show he isn't writing or directing

I blame him for the mess that is the show. Which is definitely something he deserves blame for.

Wait, I was under the impression GRRM told them how the whole story would unfold?

No, I do believe he told them who holds the iron throne at the end, but as far as anyone knows that is the extend of what they know.

GRRM also doesn't do outlines for his book, so there's that.

After learning that Cersei threatens to have Trystane assassinated:
“Seven save us,” whispered Tyene. “Trystane? Why?”
“The woman must be mad,” Obara said. “He’s just a boy.”
“This is monstrous,” said Lady Nym.
tumblr_nuckdefEYR1qdqi4go1_500.gif

No, I do believe he told them who holds the iron throne at the end, but as far as anyone knows that is the extend of what they know.

GRRM also doesn't do outlines for his book, so there's that.

They know what plot lines are material for the final battle and who is consequential vs. who isn't.

Of course GRRM can now change things so what was told to show runners vs. what goes in the books can differ too now.

Nodnol

Regarding Dorne; surely it's role in the show, irrespective of the writing or portrayal, is to make them an antagonist towards the Lannisters, and thus put pressure on them from the South. And whilst Dorne was the one place not conquered by the Targaryeans, I wonder if they allow for Dany to have an instant ally upon her arrival?

Regarding Red Mel; do we think that scene was more than just a revea of her true nature? Her necklace vades as she takes it off; is she tired, without purpose and frail in belief, as well as body? It's not a case of "well, this is what she actually looks like". It's more than that. If she's been the firey spunky Mel, she'd be praying to the Lord of Light at Jon's side, willing for him to return. Instead, she questions the vision she saw, and retires to her room. Is Davos going to make a deal with the devil he's mistrusted for so long, and persuade her to try something with Jon, or is she spent now? I'm curious as to where she goes as a character, because she promises Arya she'd see her again. I know visions are murky and not what they seem, but it seems odd to make that promise.

Aiii

So not worth it
They know what plot lines are material for the final battle and who is consequential vs. who isn't.

Of course GRRM can now change things so what was told to show runners vs. what goes in the books can differ too now.

The problem is this: he allowed a show to be created before finishing the story, only knowing the end goal himself and then letting the story just go off on its own.

The showrunners were adapting a story despite not having a clear grasp on where each of their characters were supposed to go. Which is all good and well for as long as there was source material from a person that DID know what wheels to set in motion, but right now they no longer have that and it shows that they now have the beginning, the start of the middle, a whole gap of nothingness and then the final 50 minutes of the final season.

Had GRRM finished the books, this adaptation would have been fine, just having minor changes in regards to side characters is expected when adapting a book of this scope.

But he didn't, he finished one book and then there's two more and the showrunners had to guess which characters introduced in later books are important in the coming books. What the individual character arcs are leading up to. Stories that happen in the coming two books that should have been build up to in previous seasons.

Just knowing the end, and knowing the start just results in bad fanfiction to fill up the rest. It shows and the whole situation could have been avoided if not for GRRM's slow writing pace. At the very least, instead of writing the books on his own, he could have made a proper outline for the rest of the story for the show and then have written the books. But he refuses to do this and rather say "well the show is the show and the book is the book and they already changed things that have impact on the book so fuck it, they're their own thing I have nothing to do with them *puts fingers in ears, goes lalalalala*"

Regarding Dorne; surely it's role in the show, irrespective of the writing or portrayal, is to make them an antagonist towards the Lannisters, and thus put pressure on them from the South. And whilst Dorne was the one place not conquered by the Targaryeans, I wonder if they allow for Dany to have an instant ally upon her arrival?

Regarding Red Mel; do we think that scene was more than just a revea of her true nature? Her necklace vades as she takes it off; is she tired, without purpose and frail in belief, as well as body? It's not a case of "well, this is what she actually looks like". It's more than that. If she's been the firey spunky Mel, she'd be praying to the Lord of Light at Jon's side, willing for him to return. Instead, she questions the vision she saw, and retires to her room. Is Davos going to make a deal with the devil he's mistrusted for so long, and persuade her to try something with Jon, or is she spent now? I'm curious as to where she goes as a character, because she promises Arya she'd see her again. I know visions are murky and not what they seem, but it seems odd to make that promise.

There is the theory that she dies to resurrect Jon.

The problem is this: he allowed a show to be created before finishing the story, only knowing the end goal himself and then letting the story just go off on its own.

The showrunners were adapting a story despite not having a clear grasp on where each of their characters were supposed to go. Which is all good and well for as long as there was source material from a person that DID know what wheels to set in motion, but right now they no longer have that and it shows that they now have the beginning, the start of the middle, a whole gap of nothingness and then the final 50 minutes of the final season.

Had GRRM finished the books, this adaptation would have been fine, just having minor changes in regards to side characters is expected when adapting a book of this scope.

But he didn't, he finished one book and then there's two more and the showrunners had to guess which characters introduced in later books are important in the coming books. What the individual character arcs are leading up to. Stories that happen in the coming two books that should have been build up to in previous seasons.

Just knowing the end, and knowing the start just results in bad fanfiction to fill up the rest. It shows and the whole situation could have been avoided if not for GRRM's slow writing pace. At the very least, instead of writing the books on his own, he could have made a proper outline for the rest of the story for the show and then have written the books. But he refuses to do this and rather say "well the show is the show and the book is the book and they already changed things that have impact on the book so fuck it, they're their own thing I have nothing to do with them *puts fingers in ears, goes lalalalala*"

It's not that the showrunners just know that hey, Littlefinger sits on the throne at the end. They know how things lead up to it. Who is important, who is not. Who changes the course of things.

There is the theory that she dies to resurrect Jon.

Someone should probably remind her that Thoros didn't need to die to resurrect Beric. Speaking of which I'm wondering why she didn't just get it done straight away. Has she already forgotten that scene where Thoros tells her red priests can bring the dead back, which seemed clumsily shoehorned it for just this very moment? Perhaps it's her age.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not that the showrunners just know that hey, Littlefinger sits on the throne at the end. They know how things lead up to it. Who is important, who is not. Who changes the course of things.

We'll see, I suppose. Signs have not been promising.

Regardless, there shouldn't have been an adaptation before the story was finished and I maintain that GRRM is not blameless of the state of the show.

Neifirst

Someone should probably remind her that Thoros didn't need to die to resurrect Beric. Speaking of which I'm wondering why she didn't just get it done straight away. Has she already forgotten that scene where Thoros tells her red priests can bring the dead back, which seemed clumsily shoehorned it for just this very moment? Perhaps it's her age.

Isn't it possible that she's losing faith, and in turn, her power? None of her visions regarding Stannis or Jon came true, she's all bundled up coming to Castle Black where before she rode around in just her red dress, and now she's climbing under heavy covers where before she claimed to not be affected by the cold.

Moff

Dorn is dumb, wasting actors and generally poorly made.
But it's not filler.
Whatever is happening in Dorne in the books, I assume it's about Doran and Aegon invading the rest of westeros, needs to be exaplined in the show as well.

Maybe this means Aegon will kill Doran, who knows.
Anyway, a Dornish army is marching north in both universes. it's not filler.

It's a Starz drama about pirates, kind of a prequel to treasure island. First season was a bit slow, but seasons 2 and 3 were great. If you're a fan on Spartacus and (sometimes) Game of Thrones, you should get on board!

Flint, Silver or Rackham would out-scheme anybody in Game of Thrones easy. They're gods.

Episode was whatever, but I really liked that end shot of Melisandre showing her true self. Reminded me of the witch.

Svafnir

In Jon snow is really dead I will be upset. Which is weird. As many other prominent characters have been killed off and I didn't care as much... It's just all these internet hype and theories about it would make it really suck if he is just dead.

fantomena

In Jon snow is really dead I will be upset. Which is weird. As many other prominent characters have been killed off and I didn't care as much... It's just all these internet hype and theories about it would make it really suck if he is just dead.

He is dead currently, but will come back. He's the one taking charge against the Boltons in
episode 9

I guess he'll come back in episode 3 or end of episode 2, but most likely in episode 3.

Pluto

Well, after Ellaria kills Doran, she launches into a speech about how he lived his whole life within the palace walls and didn't know the real wishes of the people while all of the guards looked on, implying that the nation wants to go to war with the King's Landing for Elia & Oberyn's deaths. The Dornish apparently are just waiting for a leader to take up that charge.
Yes, apparently the dornish want to go to war but as you say the reason for that is two dead Martell's and Ellaria and her daughters just killed two more.
Are they so loyal to House Martell that they all go to war or do they all not give a crap? It can't be both.

Kazooie

Banned
Stannis's face when he realises...
tumblr_npc8vvEH7q1tihz8po1_400.gif

Watching the episode a second time now.

I was shocked about Doran and Trystane, however even in the books Doran's master plan advances at the pace of a glacier. I can see Dorne declaring for Dany now.

This episode lay the foundations for the rest of the season.

Could some kind fellow gaffer tell me what was discussed between the two dothraki on horseback, and between the Khal and Dany? I could not read the subtitles.

bitbydeath

Someone should probably remind her that Thoros didn't need to die to resurrect Beric.

Yep and disconnecting yourself from what gives you such power in the first place is definitely not the way to go about it.

Furthermore I don't understand why if Dorne is so hated that everyone has to talk about it.
Especially when the scene itself would have been no more than 5-10mins of the entire episode.

Speevy

Banned
Could some kind fellow gaffer tell me what was discussed between the two dothraki on horseback, and between the Khal and Dany? I could not read the subtitles.

"Oh yeah baby, let's fuck."

"You like that? Yeah, give it to me."

"Your pussy hair is white, isn't it?"

"It's whatever color you want it to be. Stick your big hard cock in my ass."

"I'll cut your head off."

"I'm Khal Drogo's widow."

"Oh yeah baby, we're gonna send you to the Dosh Khaleen."

"Fuck yeah, you take me there baby."

I'm finally catching up with the episode, man is Dorne bad!
Yes, apparently the dornish want to go to war but as you say the reason for that is two dead Martell's and Ellaria and her daughters just killed two more.
Are they so loyal to House Martell that they all go to war or do they all not give a crap? It can't be both.
I wonder how D&D would spin this.

Mr.Pig

"Oh yeah baby, let's fuck."

"You like that? Yeah, give it to me."

"Your pussy hair is white, isn't it?"

"It's whatever color you want it to be. Stick your big hard cock in my ass."

"I'll cut your head off."

"I'm Khal Drogo's widow."

"Oh yeah baby, we're gonna send you to the Dosh Khaleen."

"Fuck yeah, you take me there baby."

Close enough. :D
I loved their "top five". Reminded me of Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition