• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elaborate please?

Marrying Quentyn to Dany was more like... the secondary option, and never really was pursued all that seriously. Quentyn's main purpose was to try and get the dragons, actually.

Doran is almost definitely going to ally with Aegon. But since Aegon isn't in the show, Doran's plan is irrelevant, and as such Dorne was nothing but filler.

Euron

I think there will be lots more of Dorne. We'll see how the new rulers of Bad Pussy Kingdom prepare for war. I just wonder if the two sand snacks in King's Landing are magically transported back to Dorne in the next few episodes. It's not like they wore undercover clothing, they kinda stood out.
Filming Rumors:
From what I've heard they did almost nothing with Dorne this season in terms of filming. We might see the Snakes in King's Landing at some point later this season but we will most likely not see the water gardens again.

I love it how one knife stab in the back is enough to take down Areo Hotah and the guards all just sit and watch everything happen.

Are we getting Euron and Victorian this season?
You'll be getting lots of my commentary throughout the season. Not sure where Vic is.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So do you guys think Dorne in general is going to go down as the clear winner in "biggest D&D fuck up" once the series is over, or will something else manage to be even more contrived and worthless?

That's the thing. I don't believe that accepting someone's loyalty is a very common occurrence. It is very different from a mere courtesy.

Very common is hard to define but let me say it would have been something she saw OFTEN, especially at the side of Joffrey, who was the new King and likely had tons of people swearing loyalty to him over the time he was King. These were public events with the courty pretty much being around. Beyond that, her father's bannermen would have had cause to show up to Winterfell to make oaths from time to time as well.

From when she was a little girl she would have been taught and seen stuff like this.

_Ryo_

Gonna post verbatim what I did on another forum.

So the Sand Snakes want to avenge Oberyn by killing their entire family line, (hyperbole) okay.

Is there precedence for this in the novels? I haven't read them in a very long time but I remember being similarly baffled as to Lady's Dustin(sp?) rationale for wanting all the Starks dead, because she loved Benjen stark. Like, why.

So do you guys think Dorne in general is going to go down as the clear winner in "biggest D&D fuck up" once the series is over, or will something else manage to be even more contrived and worthless?

I wouldn't put it past them to manage doing it. I mean, I still think Asha running away from shirtless Ramsay and his doggies is pretty top tier.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh, we will go back to Dorne. This is just the beginning of the nightmare.

Aside from them joining up with Dany at some point to add to her forces, I doubt there will be a main storyline or many scenes at all from Dorne's perspective right now.

And that's fine, you can go wild in the books, but a TV shows perspective should certainly be less broad at 10 episodes a season and only two seasons to go (or 9 episodes and two half-seasons)

Forkball

How the fuck did Areo Hotah go out like such a bitch, goddamnit

GoT is often criticized for its lack of diversity and using a black actor for Hotah was an obvious attempt to deflect those claims, yet they made him the most nothing character. I'm not saying his chapters are nonstop thrill rides in the books, but he at least has some noteworthy moments while show Hotah literally does nothing. With Hotah out of the way, the only non-lily white characters are the cast of Vaes Dothrak Comedy Hour.

It's really either that or the Sansa marriage to Ramsey. Both are just plain awful, and both are equally nonsensical. At least the Sansa plot had good acting, which Dorne does not, outside of the late Prince Bashir.

KahooTs

Elaborate please?

A few of the older children lay facedown upon the smooth pink marble, browning in the sun. Others paddled in the sea beyond. Three were building a sand castle with a great spike that resembled the Spear Tower of the Old Palace. A score or more had gathered in the big pool, to watch the battles as smaller children rode through the waist-deep shallows on the shoulders of the larger and tried to shove each other into the water. Every time a pair went down, the splash was followed by a roar of laughter. They watched a nut-brown girl yank a towheaded boy off his brother's shoulders to tumble him headfirst into the pool.

"Your father played that same game once, as I did before him," said the prince. "We had ten years between us, so I had left the pools by the time he was old enough to play, but I would watch him when I came to visit Mother. He was so fierce, even as a boy. Quick as a water snake. I oft saw him topple boys much bigger than himself. He reminded me of that the day he left for King's Landing. He swore that he would do it one more time, else I would never have let him go."

It was always their plan that Oberyn fight the Mountain, though we don't know how they'd intended it to happen, the purple wedding and defending Tyrion seems to have done their work for them.

Myrcella was the shield to allow Oberyn to go to KL. If you read between the lines in Oberyn's conversation with Tyrion when he arrives in KL, he basically says he's here for Tywin. There's a decent theory that Oberyn had poisoned Tywin with Widow's Blood, hence the stench of the corpse and Tywin being on the privy. Doran said he'd planned for Tywin's death to come slow and painful and for everything to be taken from him before he died, which Widow's Blood would give him time for. Doran laments Tyrion killing Tywin as ruining his plan.

Doran reveals his plan(s) off-screen to Arianne when she's antagonistic towards him, and the next Dorne chapter she's 100% with him and together they are sizing up the Sandsnakes to see if they can be trusted, like their father was. Oberyn was to sit the small council, probably so he can sabotage from within and feed information out leading up to Dany/Qentyn's invasion.

Whatever Doran's plans were GRRM hasn't revealed them yet for whatever reason (maybe because it might still happen, with a Sandsnake instead of Oberyn and for Aegon/Arianne instead of Quentyn/Dany), and they've likely changed given Oberyn wasn't supposed to die and will again once he knows Dany refused Quentyn and Quentyn is dead.

Gonna post verbatim what I did on another forum.

So the Sand Snakes want to avenge Oberyn by killing their entire family line, (hyperbole) okay.

Is there precedence for this in the novels? I haven't read them in a very long time but I remember being similarly baffled as to Lady's Dustin(sp?) rationale for wanting all the Starks dead, because she loved Benjen stark. Like, why.

Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite of what happens in the books. There is no precedent for what just went down, none at all. As for Dustin, I had a hard time reading her, I think she doth protest to much when it comes to the Starks.

GoT is often criticized for its lack of diversity and using a black actor for Hotah was an obvious attempt to deflect those claims, yet they made him the most nothing character. I'm not saying his chapters are nonstop thrill rides in the books, but he at least has some noteworthy moments while show Hotah literally does nothing. With Hotah out of the way, the only non-lily white characters are the cast of Vaes Dothrak Comedy Hour.

Missandei is the one true queen so i don't think this criticism holds water tbh.

Man, they just went fucking crazy in Dorne, didn't they. "Okay guys, we fucked up, we're killing everyone there." I didn't see it coming.

That Melisandre scene had me legit shook, though. Once she removed her collar I knew it was going to be a glamour, but seeing granny naked was still surprising. Now I'm 100% sure she's done for.

Not seeing Jon's resurrection was also surprising, but I guess they want to drag it out to have some sense of shock value? I dunno.

Davos mocking Thorne was the high point of the episode. If the Onion Knight dies, we riot.

Marrying Quentyn to Dany was more like... the secondary option, and never really was pursued all that seriously. Quentyn's main purpose was to try and get the dragons, actually.

Doran is almost definitely going to ally with Aegon. But since Aegon isn't in the show, Doran's plan is irrelevant, and as such Dorne was nothing but filler.

Yeah, but how did Quentyn plan on getting those dragons in the first place on his own? To me, it didn't seem like much of a plan to begin with.

fantomena

Preview clip for episode 2 from HBO my thoughts:

- First Bran flashback
- AntiJonWatchers vs. Jon loyalists + Wildings
- Tension between Lannisers and Faith Militant starts getting heavy
- Sansa starts planning the first step in the Stark vengeance plan
- Boltons being fucking shitty as usual

Ingeniero

What a shit episode, worst season premiere ever....

As a book reader waiting for winds, I feel very dissapointed..... I may quit the show now.

Arkeband

Banned
cringe line

Benioff : "What would Tyrion say?"
Weiss: "Something witty no doubt, how about something in regards to Vary's manhood"
B: "Great idea, his manhood...his manhood... His Cock!"
W:"That is it, he would use the term cock"
B:"He is a eunuch, so it should be something that calls back to it, the show viewers have short memories."
W:"Yea you are right"
B:"Just write "Good thing you are not a boy anymore.."
B&W:"Because you have no cock"
B&W:"Nailed it"

B:"Now onto Dorne..."

"kunk kunk smath the beetleth", said Tyrion, lover of cripples, bastards, and broken things about his mentally handicapped cousin he has to remind his brother existed, that he spent a great deal of his childhood apparently marveling over.

Branduil

I wonder how the other houses in Dorne will react after finding out that a couple of bastards killed their liege lord and his heir.

Other houses? What are you talking about, there are only like 5 people in the garden region known as "Dorne."

Raynes

What a shit episode, worst season premiere ever....

As a book reader waiting for winds, I feel very dissapointed..... I may quit the show now.

That was a pretty shit episode. Arya's bits were painfully boring. Lots of other things didn't make sense. Too many coincidences.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Man, they just went fucking crazy in Dorne, didn't they. "Okay guys, we fucked up, we're killing everyone there." I didn't see it coming.

That Melisandre scene had me legit shook, though. Once she removed her collar I knew it was going to be a glamour, but seeing granny naked was still surprising. Now I'm 100% sure she's done for.

Not seeing Jon's resurrection was also surprising, but I guess they want to drag it out to have some sense of shock value? I dunno.

Davos mocking Thorne was the high point of the episode. If the Onion Knight dies, we riot.

We Riot if the Onion Knight Dies.

WRITOKD

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Speculation.

But it's about as confirmed as anything that's ever been on this show.

Making all the effort to carry a corpse to a room, and then use that room as a saferoom, is peculiar. Knowing his corpse will be on screen again next week, just adds to it.

One of my coworkers is convinced that the two women who killed Trystane are two different, this far unintroduced Sand Snakes, and they were shown as his personal guards last season. Amy credibility to that?

Arkeband

Banned
Is Jon warging into Ghost even necessary from a book or TV perspective? Beric Dondarrion was resurrected after being hanged, and he in turn resurrected Catelyn when she was a soggy corpse, so there seems to be little in the way of time limits. In alternative, non-fire magic, we have The Mountain resurrected, very likely with a new head sewn onto his body, so even decapitation seems to be a manageable problem in this universe.

So what is the purpose of Jon temporarily going into Ghost while we wait for Melisandre to bring him back? If Beric and Catelyn didn't need to retain their consciousness in some vessel, why would Jon...? We expect it due to the otherwise pointless Varamyr chapters in the books, but is it even necessary?

One of my coworkers is convinced that the two women who killed Trystane are two different, this far unintroduced Sand Snakes, and they were shown as his personal guards last season. Amy credibility to that?

...no? Besides clearly being the same actresses, they've established three Show Snakes, who each use a whip, a spear, and knives, respectively, as their Ninja Turtles-esque weapons of choice.

fantomena

All the speculation seems more like wishful thinking to me. What are some of the evidences that make people so sure? Just the eyes thing?

- GRRM has said Jon will get to know his parentage, not just the readers, he can't know if he's dead
- What would be the point of showing off the Tower of Joy, Jons birth, if he's dead forever
- GRRM was asked in an interview in 2011 why he did kill off Jon, "Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?"
- Shitload of foreshadowing of how good guy Rhaegar was even though the publicly story is tha the kidnapped, rapped and killed Lyanna

What I remember right now.

Moff

dorne8eogo.gif

My mini review: episode was...OK. Bullets below.

- The stuff at the Wall was all good
- The Sansa/Theon escape and Brienne rescue was super predictable, but the final scene was well acted and well put together.
- KL scene was OK. A bit one-note and we didn't learn anything new.
- Jorah/Daario scene was retread central.
- Tyrion/Varys also retread central. And the burning of the ships seemed more like a plot device rather than something the Meerenese/Harpy would actually do.
- Dany/Dothraki scene was god awful. The two Dothraki riders next to her were cringe-worthy. If they aren't taking turns lighting each other's farts the next time we see them, I'll be shocked.
- Dorne. I'll sum it up with a fake quote: "I'm Ellaria Sand. I'm all mad that the love of my life was killed during a purely elective trial by combat against the Mountain due to excessive showboating. I want revenge. In order to get revenge for my lost love, I'm going to kill off the rest of his family."

D&D, ladies and gentlemen.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
One if them was 100% on the show last year, the one with the spear. I think she's Oberyns daughter?

They probably both were, I just don't remember the second one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom