• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
To be fair, Brienne looks pretty damn guilty.

She's dreaming about the kingslayer, pleading to LS that Jaime's changed(which wouldnt matter to LS since she thinks Jaime had a hand(hehe)in the Red Wedding thanks to Roose), she's running around looking for Sansa with a royal seal of approval by Tommen to capture her, she's holding a Valyrian steel sword made from Ice with a lion pommel on it, she's with Tyrion's squire and she's with another man from Tarly's camp.

Yeah. From LS's perspective, Brienne seems guilty as all hell.

Black_Sun

Here's another look at it (lifted from other thread):

Why does the map look like that?

The World of Ice and fire shows this:

World_Of_Ice_And_Fire.jpg

Cromwell

Banned
I just hope HBO understand GoT's success isn't replicable. There's only one fantasy book series that's this good (outside of Harry Potter). There are still awesome stories to be told but It would be stupid to expect this insane devotion again.

The Silmarillion series. Do it, HBO.

Man looking at that map brings me back to when I was a kid looking at SNES RPG world maps. I hope the ASOIAF world doesn't end when GoT/books end since I'd like to explore other regions. Like I want to see what Ulthos is all about, or the Dry Deep.

Can someone do the math for me regarding that map:

Is Westeros is the size of South America, than how fuckin's big is Essos?

And how much space is left if the planet they're on is the same size as Earth?

Brakke

Banned
GRR's maps don't tell what kind of projection they're doing so who can say how big *anything* is? ;)

Also is Planetos even a spheroid planet orbiting a sun in space? Or some crazy shit.

Black_Sun

Can someone do the math for me regarding that map:

Is Westeros is the size of South America, than how fuckin's big is Essos?

And how much space is left if the planet they're on is the same size as Earth?

Essos is the size of Asia.

Also GRRM confirmed that Planetos is a little bigger than our Earth

GRR's maps don't tell what kind of projection they're doing so who can say how big *anything* is? ;)

Also is Planetos even a spheroid planet orbiting a sun in space? Or some crazy shit.

Doesn't seem like GRRM has really figured out distances, but he's given vague answers about the world. He's said it's round and larger than Earth.

Is your world round. I mean if Dany traveled far enough east couldnt she come to the other side of westeros?

Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P60

But this is from 2002, so who knows what's changed since then.

Gigglepoo

HBO should just start adapting China Miéville. Just let the art designers go crazy with his worlds and you can be sure people will tune in.

Done and done.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I just hope HBO understand GoT's success isn't replicable. There's only one fantasy book series that's this good (outside of Harry Potter). There are still awesome stories to be told but It would be stupid to expect this insane devotion again.

Nah. Drizzit is a match.

fuzzyset

Why does the map look like that?

The World of Ice and fire shows this:

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/World_Of_Ice_And_Fire.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Most maps prior to the Lands of Ice and Fire were stitched together from different sources using different scales and/or speculated so they're not going to be the same. That map collection is the first canonical map of the whole world iirc.

[url]http://imgur.com/gallery/Kw55Y[/url] is the gallery of all the maps from the book. They're beautiful. I wish I could buy un-creased versions.

Gigglepoo

If we start exploring the world west of Westeros in The Winds of Winter, people will complain that George is stretching out the story again. I think we're going to have to leave the rest of the world to our imaginations.

In rewatching this week's episode, I think one thing the show has accomplished for me that I didn't think they would, is that they've really gotten me to like Tormund a lot. I was initially really disappointed that we didn't have "HAR!" Tormund from the books, but thinking about where we started with this character in S2 to where we are now, i'm 100% sold on him.

rando14

If we start exploring the world west of Westeros in The Winds of Winter, people will complain that George is stretching out the story again. I think we're going to have to leave the rest of the world to our imaginations.

Yeah it kinda sucks, I wanna see Asshai and Yi Ti and even Sothoryos.... but with only 2 books left it's time for the story to get moving

Black_Sun

In rewatching this week's episode, I think one thing the show has accomplished for me that I didn't think they would, is that they've really gotten me to like Tormund a lot. I was initially really disappointed that we didn't have "HAR!" Tormund from the books, but thinking about where we started with this character in S2 to where we are now, i'm 100% sold on him.

I think the show is a bad adaptation but there's several things I do love. Tormund is one of them.

Although ideally I would have liked it if they made the show's version of Tormund into book Tormund's son and have book Tormund in the show. I'd like an actual father-son duo with a good relationship for once

Black_Sun

Ok but what latitude is it at? Where even is the equator? And what projection drew the map?

I'm not sure why this even matters.

But just use the Wall being 300 miles as your reference and go off that.

And I remember someone measuring Westeros and saying that's it actually a little smaller than South America.

Brakke

Banned
You know how Greenland looks effing enormous on maps in classrooms?

But sure, this doesn't actually matter in the sense that GRR to some extent and D&D to a great extent don't actually care that much about distances. But it's true that we don't know very basic things about the planet (like even what direction its axis of rotation points relative to the plane of its orbit). And I suspect those maps were probably drawn without a projection in mind at all.

Black_Sun

You know how Greenland looks effing enormous on maps in classrooms?

But sure, this doesn't actually matter in the sense that GRR to some extent and D&D to a great extent don't actually care that much about distances. But it's true that we don't know very basic things about the planet (like even what direction its axis of rotation points relative to the plane of its orbit). And I suspect those maps were probably drawn without a projection in mind at all.

Actually a fantasy cartographer was charged with making the maps to make sure everything made sense and when he started putting in latitudes and longitudes, GRRM made him take it out because he didn't want people to think this map was more accurate than it was supposed to be.

It's only an interpretation of the world by the maesters

Gigglepoo

It's only an interpretation of the world by the maesters

This is a clever way for Martin to hand wave a lot of the history and map design of his world. Makes a lot of sense to have in-universe characters design these things if you're not super confident about creating the nuts and bolts of a world yourself.

One of his themes is also the fallibility of history so it ties right into that.

At the same time they passed on American Gods and Monster, two shows that I hope they regret not doing forever.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

I will never stop dreaming about a HBO Witcher series.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well HBO needs tits in every episode until the show can find its legs.

Do you really want to see Luthien flashing her tits at us every so often?

Tolkien would roll in his grave

Tolkien would roll in his grave about anything ever made based on his books.

Black_Sun

Why? I thought the LotR movies were well received.

Tolkien's son hates the movies.

Tolkien might have too because of some of the things they omit like the Scouring of the Shire.

Although he would've appreciated some things like Christopher Lee playing Saruman who was his choice for Gandalf

Black_Sun

The show does a lot more right than you give it credit for especially compared to other adaptions.

Even the story is adapted a whole lot better over something like The Walking Dead which is around 70% filler vs the comics.

Piss tastes better than shit but that does not mean piss tastes good.

The show has a very Walking Dead view of the world.

Speevy

Banned
A Black Sun, when Cornballer said this wasn't the book only thread, he was likely talking to you.

If you're hate-watching the show, there's not much to discuss.

Black_Sun

A Black Sun, when Cornballer said this wasn't the book only thread, he was likely talking to you.

If you're hate-watching the show, there's not much to discuss.

I genuinely like discussing the show.

There's a book thread and there's a show thread with book spoilers. I'll talk about the show in the latter.

Cromwell

Banned
The show does a lot more right than you give it credit for especially compared to other adaptions.

Even the story is adapted a whole lot better over something like The Walking Dead which is around 70% filler vs the comics.

Last two seasons of The Walking Dead were actually mostly very good. The character work, atmosphere, and pacing in S5 especially are far stronger than the last two seasons of GoT. They don't always explicitly need to tell the audience everything that's happening, they have more faith in them than that, which is refreshing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Tolkien's son hates the movies.

Tolkien might have too because of some of the things they omit like the Scouring of the Shire.

Although he would've appreciated some things like Christopher Lee playing Saruman who was his choice for Gandalf

Everything we know about Tolkien says he'd have hated them just as much or more than his son does. He was an absolute purist and was unwilling to deal with adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom