• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I watched the episode again, and though, "gee, if Ramsay was close enough to put an arrow in Wun Wun's EYE, why didn't he just shoot Jon?"

lol...

Speevy

Banned
I watched the episode again, and though, "gee, if Ramsay was close enough to put an arrow in Wun Wun's EYE, why didn't he just shoot Jon?"

lol...

Because it's the coward's way out/bully trope. We needed to see Ramsay in one awful act of cruelty because it has not been made clear how evil he was.

I wonder if there is any chance that HBO will continue GOT with completely new stories not based on Georges writings. Depending on how the season 8 ends it could just be a ''non canon'' sequel S9 onward that goes way past the books, they'd just need to hire good writers.

Gigglepoo

I wonder if there is any chance that HBO will continue GOT with completely new stories not based on Georges writings. Depending on how the season 8 ends it could just be a ''non canon'' sequel S9 onward that goes way past the books, they'd just need to hire good writers.

I thought Martin didn't give them rights to the world. I think they can only work on an A Song of Ice and Fire adaptation.

belushy

Banned

I think everyone working on the show is pretty much ready to be done with it. I think they all want to move on.

I'm hoping there is a chance they do spin offs, though. Roberts Rebellion, Stories from Asshai, something like that.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Last two seasons of The Walking Dead were actually mostly very good. The character work, atmosphere, and pacing in S5 especially are far stronger than the last two seasons of GoT. They don't always explicitly need to tell the audience everything that's happening, they have more faith in them than that, which is refreshing.
Bullshit. Walking Dead Season 5 Part A is the worst section in the history of the Walking Dead. It's got terrible pacing, story, characters. If you are talking about Season 6...eh not really though it's a far better comparison. Still Game of Thrones > The Walking Dead.

Kozak

Banned
Most of his stuff is speculation, and when it's not, we're not supposed to talk about it.

Thought so. Will make no further comment :)

lol...

I figure at that point it wouldn't matter to kill Jon. He was finished regardless so he chose to make a final statement.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because it's the coward's way out/bully trope. We needed to see Ramsay in one awful act of cruelty because it has not been made clear how evil he was.
I guess.
Because he lost, he didn't care about killing Jon, he wanted to hurt him as much as he could.

I figure at that point it wouldn't matter to kill Jon. He was finished regardless so he chose to make a final statement.

Wouldn't killing Jon hurt Jon as much as possible? Or make as large a statement as possible?

Eh, well, whatever. I don't want to go down a nitpicking black hole.

Speevy

Banned
Ramsay was always like "So sorry."

Seeing a weak animal, he couldn't resist.

I would like to think that the Bolton forces could have done better if he hadn't ordered his archers to kill half of them. Or at least, they could have left some archers behind to kill the men trapped by the phalanx.

Speevy

Banned
I guess.

Wouldn't killing Jon hurt Jon as much as possible? Or make as large a statement as possible?

Eh, well, whatever. I don't want to go down a nitpicking black hole.

That doesn't fit with Jon's character though. Jon has the ultimate bravery, so Jon can't die by surprise in combat. He doesn't care if he dies anymore, so he won't die anymore.

Gigglepoo

Yes but now he's forever immortalized as Ramsay Giant-slayer or Ramsay Giantsbane

Ramsay killed the last giant after all

No one who knows that will say anything. All of his men are dead. Do you think Lady Mormont will hype up Ramsay? Hell, most of the kingdom didn't even know giants exist. Jon Snow is the former command of the watch and Ned Stark's bastard. Killing him would have mastered.

EDIT -- I'm not critiquing the show. Ramsay was a cruel bully so it made sense that he killed a wounded giant. It was just a dumb decision.

Kozak

Banned
How would killing Jon Snow make a big statement?

He already lost.

edit:

As if the word won't get out about Ramsay killing a giant lol.

Some of you seem to believe that GoT characters aren't susceptible to normal human things like gossip....

Speevy

Banned
The only nonsensical thing about that scene was how Jon's men just stood there and let Ramsay fire arrow after arrow into his shield.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How would killing Jon Snow make a big statement?

He already lost.

edit:

As if the word won't get out about Ramsay killing a giant lol.

Some of you seem to believe that GoT characters aren't susceptible to normal human things like gossip....

Usually killing the enemy commander is one of the biggest strategic objectives of a battle, but whatever.

The only nonsensical thing about that scene was how Jon's men just stood there and let Ramsay fire arrow after arrow into his shield.

Yeah I guess this too.

Dai101

Banned

They knew Jon got dis. They just let him take that son of a bitch with his bear hands, i mean shield, and turn his face to a bloddy pulp.

GorillaJu

It showed the power Jon has over his men that they would wait tentatively for his order rather than spoil the fight he always wanted in the first place. Plus the plot armor was obvious as fuck and I'm sure those extras were aware of that.

Kozak

Banned
Usually killing the enemy commander is one of the biggest strategic objectives of a battle, but whatever.

Yeah maybe at the beginning. The battle was over.

When the war was won, if he killed Jon, Jon's men kills Ramsay, Sansa becomes Queen of the North, the North has a giant. Same shit but more giant.

Unless you mean when he killed Rickon he should have killed Jon? Now that would have an actual impact on the battle.

Madness

Poor writing. The Karstarks and Umbers just stood around watching Ramsay slaughter Northmen. The show has really fucked up the North and their loyalty and duty and the North Remembers angle.

Kozak

Banned
LF was present while Jon was beating up Ramsay

uhvwE62.jpg

8-2_ZRLdDvl_LU56ZEmwi46GViWkrUEnuWaAEy5678g.jpg

Watching on with a smirk I imagine

cj_iwakura

Poor writing. The Karstarks and Umbers just stood around watching Ramsay slaughter Northmen. The show has really fucked up the North and their loyalty and duty and the North Remembers angle.

Not to mention the North supporting a man who would shoot arrows at and into a fleeing child.

Kozak

Banned
Wait, so Jon Snow is so important he was raised from the dead but it wouldn't have mattered if Ramsay killed him? What!?

lol

Fucken oath it wouldn't have mattered if Ramsay killed him after he won the battle. He accomplished what he needed to. He won Winterfell back for his family.

What point is there of Jon existing right now except to be more a Hero?

edit:

And his importance isn't what led to him being raised from the dead..wtf..

Davos was in a sticky situation and pleaded with Mel to give it a go. Davos would have been murdered and Mel raped to oblivion if she hadn't give it a go.

Only us as the readers/viewers understand his importance. His actual importance within the world is pretty low until (if) everyone finds out he is a Targaryen bastard..

I really dislike the show has the north forget about the red wedding and the Bolton betraying all the other northern lords. Could have atleast mention the northern lords are capture and the houses are force to listen to the Boltons...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wonder if Brexit will fuck the budget for the final 2 seasons. Is Brexit where Tyrion should look next?

I really dislike the show has the north forget about the red wedding and the Bolton betraying all the other northern lords. Could have atleast mention the northern lords are capture and the houses are force to listen to the Boltons...

They slightly did, but only for smaller housers. Umbers are A-OK with how they lost men at the Red Wedding.

Madness

Not to mention the North supporting a man who would shoot arrows at and into a fleeing child.

One who is the male heir of Ned Stark and blood of the first men and innocent to Robb. No one knew the Umbers had Rickon. But they sacrificed him like he was Joffrey to them. Useless. Pretty much killed off the male Stark line as Bran is the three eyed raven now and was a paraplegic before puberty and Jon is actually a Targaryen. I hope GRRM ends a Dream of Spring with Rickon being the last Stark alive just so D & D look like idiots.

Kozak

Banned
What point is there for a heroic, godlike figure to be alive? Is that what you're asking?

No, I'm asking what else is Jon?

Just the Hero.

Heroes have come and gone as much as Villains in this show.

There's nothing more to the plot that the show viewer should expect that Jon continues to have plot armour.

It would have been okay for Jon to die. They could have passed it off.

None of his story demands answers anymore. The R+L=J thing may as well be just some sweet back story to this brooding character. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Jon never finds out his parentage.

Wonder if Brexit will fuck the budget for the final 2 seasons. Is Brexit where Tyrion should look next?

They slightly did, but only for smaller housers. Umbers are A-OK with how they lost men at the Red Wedding.

Only Northern Houses I can remember from the show is House Mormont. I can understand the Karstartks which was not even shown during the battle. Was the Umbers alright with the Red wedding? Dont remember that from the book or show.

Kozak

Banned
Like GRRM the show hasn't killed anyone mid arc.

Exactly.

And what's left of Jon's arc except for what we assume?

Show watchers shouldn't know that the tower of joy reveals Jon's parentage. Even Book readers can only assume thats what its going to reveal.

Only by the assumption that the Tower of Joy is going to reveal Jon's parentage and the implications that go along with it is why we think Jon will still remain.

If you didn't read into any theories, you'd think Jon's story came to a full circle

Felt rejected at home > Joined Nights Watch > Became a badass > Got stabbed > rezzed > Fucked off the NW > Took back his families home

Seems a bloody good time to die and be remembered in history books forever

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Only Northern Houses I can remember from the show is House Mormont. I can understand the Karstartks which was not even shown during the battle. Was the Umbers alright with the Red wedding? Dont remember that from the book or show.

I think the Book had GreatJon being held prisoner by the Freys, and the show implies he died while at the Twins. Both should have serious problems with Frey's/Bolton's, but it seems show Smalljon didn't care for his dad, and hates Wildlings more than kinslayers.

KahooTs

Exactly.

And what's left of Jon's arc except for what we assume?

What is left for any character's arc other than what is assumed? No-one would be thinking Jon's story ends at restoring WF. He's one of the most major characters and the one most associated with the White Walkers, the running antagonists for the whole series. He most understands them, is closest to them, has fought against them, been guarding the realm against them, had a come at me bro stare down with their leader and has a special sword designed for killing them.

If you didn't read into any theories, you'd think Jon's story came to a full circle

Felt rejected at home > Joined Nights Watch > Became a badass > Got stabbed > rezzed > Fucked off the NW > Took back his families home

Seems a bloody good time to die and be remembered in history books forever

Nah man, he's got unfinished business with the Knights King and white walkers. That's a huge part of his arc in the show.

Big-E

Liked the episode aside from the beginning and ending of the battle. The ending was too telegraphed but not horrid. The beginning was horrid though. Ramsay's plan is to shoot Rickon, but that is so incredibly stupid as if he misses then it serves no purpose other than to let the most strong challenge to your rule go. The fact that he kills him just as he gets to Jon was also way too convenient. You also had Jon not realizing that hundreds of cavalry are coming up behind him.

The writers made Ramsay into this super villain and it just doesn't fit in the universe. You can make him a horrible person and evil but when you make him take on a bunch of Yara's chosen assault force shirtless killing them all, destroying Stannis with a dozen men, killing his father, killing Osha without a change of face, killing a giant, it becomes a stupid as you know nothing is going to hurt him until the confrontation with Jon. And after all that he dies by shooting arrows at a guy with a shield and keeps doing it despite the fact that he misses with everyone and doesn't even try to use a sword. Fucking stupid character and I am glad that we don't have to see D and D's interpretation of him anymore.

GorillaJu

Liked the episode aside from the beginning and ending of the battle. The ending was too telegraphed but not horrid. The beginning was horrid though. Ramsay's plan is to shoot Rickon, but that is so incredibly stupid as if he misses then it serves no purpose other than to let the most strong challenge to your rule go. The fact that he kills him just as he gets to Jon was also way too convenient. You also had Jon not realizing that hundreds of cavalry are coming up behind him.

The writers made Ramsay into this super villain and it just doesn't fit in the universe. You can make him a horrible person and evil but when you make him take on a bunch of Yara's chosen assault force shirtless killing them all, destroying Stannis with a dozen men, killing his father, killing Osha without a change of face, killing a giant, it becomes a stupid as you know nothing is going to hurt him until the confrontation with Jon. And after all that he dies by shooting arrows at a guy with a shield and keeps doing it despite the fact that he misses with everyone and doesn't even try to use a sword. Fucking stupid character and I am glad that we don't have to see D and D's interpretation of him anymore.

Oh please. Ramsay was a game player. He hunted people for fun, he enjoyed the thrill of torture and pain. He isn't an entirely practical thinker, he wants to do things in his own fucked up way.

It's not that hard to understand.

duckroll

The writers made Ramsay into this super villain and it just doesn't fit in the universe.

Which universe?

The same universe where we've had villains like Karl the Fookin' Legend Tanner? Whose badass band of rebels killed the Lord Commander and drank from his skull?

The same universe with the unkillable Mountain - slayer of children and raper of women, who is now a walking zombie bodyguard who rips off the faces of Cersei's enemies and dashes the skulls of those who talk shit about her?

The same universe where the Sand Snakes and their strong female leader betrays all the men and slays them where they stand, looks over the prince's body and says "Weak men will never rule Dorne again!"?

Or maybe the same universe where the zombie threat from beyond the Wall is led by a named leader called the Night King, who was a biological weapon created by the Children of the Forest, and loves posing in imposing ways at the camera to remind the audience that he is the One True Big Bad?

In this same universe filled with supervillains, over the top villain tropes, and even teams of villains, Ramsay Bolton, a sadistic bastard son of an evil traitorous lord, who shows intellect and battle ability, being thematically matched against Jon Snow, a noble bastard son of a good honest lord, who shows willpower and battle ability, is a bridge too far? No, I'll say it fits right in. The universe of Game of Thrones may have shades of grey in the middle, but where it counts, it has always been black and white.

Timbuktu

Yeah I don't really get the situation. I would think that the Brexit's effect on the economy would make it cheaper to film in Belfast. But on the other hand the UK not being part of the EU does make them lose funding from the"European Regional Development Fund, a group that seeks to increase economic growth in the European Union. "

The question is how much money they got from this fund.

I guess GoT will be done by the time it actually happens, but it'll be sad knowing the studio and all the people there who have done some much for for this series will be left with little prospects of future work.

I had this dream that the Dragons Tyrion freed came to rescue him from drowning or some shit and there was this super manipulative music playing as the credits rolled.

And then I woke up sweating and breathing heavily over how cheesy the writing in my dreams is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom