• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 3 (but I've read all the books), but with all the hubbub for the latest episode I decided to watch clips of it on YouTube. I was blown away. The scale was beyond anything I've ever seen on this show, and some of the battle scenes had better action than most movies.

I wish the entire series had the budget and quality displayed here, because it was super impressive.

Black_Sun

I haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 3 (but I've read all the books), but with all the hubbub for the latest episode I decided to watch clips of it on YouTube. I was blown away. The scale was beyond anything I've ever seen on this show, and some of the battle scenes had better action than most movies.

I wish the entire series had the budget and quality displayed here, because it was super impressive.

You got out at the right time.

You got to skip over Ramsay Sue.

It has rightfully been praised, but I think it will grow better with time. I can't remember the last time a (sword and sandals) battle *clearly* portrayed that level of chaos and terror in war. Kingdom of Heaven did it well, as did Gladiator, but even those felt different in some way.

Black_Sun

It has rightfully been praised, but I think it will grow better with time. I can't remember the last time a (sword and sandals) battle *clearly* portrayed that level of chaos and terror in war. Kingdom of Heaven did it well, as did Gladiator, but even those felt different in some way.

They definitely got the chaotic feel and the weight right.

Now if they could like go get a military strategist to give them advice or even play some Total War

Gigglepoo

Battle of the Bastards is a perfect representation of what the show is. Incredible visuals on a scale that I've never seen on television before and award-caliber acting performances across the board. It's an impressive spectacle that combines artistry with budget to create something immensely compelling.

But the plot is full of shortcuts and leaps of logic while the characters often don't evolve for seasons at a time or make baffling decisions that go against who they are.

That's what Game of Thrones is. I'm happy the team they hired has a huge vision and found the directors, cinematographers, artists, prop maker, actors, and everything else to put it together. I just wish they could tell a more complete, inventive, and cohesive story.

They definitely got the chaotic feel and the weight right.

Now if they could like go get a military strategist to give them advice or even play some Total War

Haha, don't get me started :p

Battle of the Bastards is a perfect representation of what the show is. Incredible visuals on a scale that I've never seen on television before and award-caliber acting performances across the board. It's an impressive spectacle that combines artistry with budget to create something immensely compelling.

But the plot is full of shortcuts and leaps of logic while the characters often don't evolve for seasons at a time or make baffling decisions that go against who they are.

That's what Game of Thrones is. I'm happy the team they hired has a huge vision and found the directors, cinematographers, artists, prop maker, actors, and everything else to put it together. I just wish they could tell a more complete, inventive, and cohesive story.

For real. I think the show has looked the best it ever has, actually (of course, I need to rewatch the other seasons). The cinematography has been utterly fantastic.

Some of the costume and design choices are occasionally puzzling, but overall, the production crew is ace.

Gigglepoo

For real. I think the show has looked the best it ever has, actually (of course, I need to rewatch the other seasons). The cinematography has been utterly fantastic.

Some of the costume and design choices are occasionally puzzling, but overall, the production crew is ace.

I honestly think it's impossible to oversell how incredible the design team on Game of Thrones is. We take for granted all the minute details that go into every episode to make it look so cohesive and grounded. It's really stunning. You could give people infinite money and they wouldn't be able to match what the GoT team does. Really excellent work every week.

And even though I don't usually care for action (in movies or television or whatever), I'm getting pretty excited about the coming war. Those dragons in Meereen were just awe-inspiring.

Cromwell

Banned
Yeah, the production value has never been as jaw dropping as it was last week. I just wish the show was run by different people that straddle the line between mass appeal and intelligence with a bit more nuance. I look at The Last Kingdom as an example of a show in a similar genre (historical fiction instead of fantasy) adapted in a far better way, anyone here who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I honestly think it's impossible to oversell how incredible the design team on Game of Thrones is. We take for granted all the minute details that go into every episode to make it look so cohesive and grounded. It's really stunning. You could give people infinite money and they wouldn't be able to match what the GoT team does. Really excellent work every week.

And even though I don't usually care for action (in movies or television or whatever), I'm getting pretty excited about the coming war. Those dragons in Meereen were just awe-inspiring.

The amount of work the production and design team put out every year is insane. I know it's a well oiled machine at this point, but Battle of the Bastards was basically at the level of major blockbusters that spend far longer in pre-production than Game of Thrones is able to because of it's rigid schedule.

I'm able to forgive a lot of the writing for similar reasons. GRRM has as much time as he needs but D&D have had to manage this insanely huge behemoth for 7 years now, and I imagine it gets harder to do every year.

I look at The Last Kingdom as an example of a show in a similar genre (historical fiction instead of fantasy) adapted in a far better way, anyone here who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it.

This sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Any way to watch it in the US?

Gigglepoo

I'm able to forgive a lot of the writing for similar reasons. GRRM has as much time as he needs but D&D have had to manage this insanely huge behemoth for 7 years now, and I imagine it gets harder to do every year.

I'm not nearly as forgiving of the writing. They have five books to pull from not to mention years to decide how they want arcs to play out and storylines to develop. It would be one thing if they were writing this all from scratch, but that's not the case at all, so I do find it frustrating to see just how many mistakes they make and how simple their invented storylines are.

Cromwell

Banned
I'm not nearly as forgiving of the writing. They have five books to pull from not to mention years to decide how they want arcs to play out and storylines to develop. It would be one thing if they were writing this all from scratch, but that's not the case at all, so I do find it frustrating to see just how many mistakes they make and how simple their invented storylines are.

I definitely agree, I'm just saying I can see how easy it would be for D&D to become overwhelmed with all the moving parts of the production. I'm also not sure how much time they give themselves to write the episodes every year.

Geist-

I like Ragnar a lot but otherwise it's stronger in every way IMO. The storytelling, pacing, and atmosphere is flawless.

I agree, they really should do some more marketing for it. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it as a recommendation for something else I finished on Netflix. It helps that they have some really cool characters that, while likable, have interesting character flaws.

Vikings is pretty good, but something about it just made me lose interest after season 1.

The amount of work the production and design team put out every year is insane. I know it's a well oiled machine at this point, but Battle of the Bastards was basically at the level of major blockbusters that spend far longer in pre-production than Game of Thrones is able to because of it's rigid schedule.

I'd say closer to ten, from inception of the idea, pitching GRRM, selling it to a network, etc. I don't begrudge them one bit for wanting to end it as soon as they realistically can.

Great last episode. Really happy to finally see Danny flex her muscles and Ramsay's defeat was satisfying. He definitely outstayed his welcome, so good riddance (even though I like the actors cockiness).

One of the things that really bugged me is that they treated likely the best warrior in the entire series - the giant - like a common foot soldier...He should have had armour and a massive battle axe. A lot of the tactics should have been based around is insane power...The way the battle played out was ridiculous and inept.

Still, Jon's demolition of Ramsay was done right. Ramsay was a maggot.

Black_Sun

Great last episode. Really happy to finally see Danny flex her muscles and Ramsay's defeat was satisfying. He definitely outstayed his welcome, so good riddance (even though I like the actors cockiness).

One of the things that really bugged me is that they treated likely the best warrior in the entire series - the giant - like a common foot soldier...He should have had armour and a massive battle axe. A lot of the tactics should have been based around is insane power...The way the battle played out was ridiculous and inept.

I don't think it makes sense for Ramsay to be using a bow and arrow that close to Jon.

He should've used an actual sword to fight.

mantidor

Pile Wun Wun's lack of any weapon or armor with the Children, Summer, Shaddydog, Ghost's absence in the most important battle and all the offscreen deaths as they were sacrificed to the budget god that gave us those dragons.

Speevy

Banned
Pile Wun Wun's lack of any weapon or armor with the Children, Summer, Shaddydog, Ghost's absence in the most important battle and all the offscreen deaths as they were sacrificed to the budget god that gave us those dragons.

Only Gendry himself could make armor for wun wun

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Yeah. It might have been hard to forge armor and a battle axe for a giant with their limited resources, but at least give him a huge tree or something to swing around like a club. That probably could have breached the spear and shield formation.

btrboyev

He could have easily gotten through and wiped out the phalanx brigade. I will agree with you.

Zabka

I'm really looking forward to the finale just to see how Sansa could even attempt to explain keeping the armies of the Vale a secret from Jon.

Visceir

I'm really looking forward to the finale just to see how Sansa could even attempt to explain keeping the armies of the Vale a secret from Jon.

"Told you to not fall into Ramsay's trap!"

I'd like to see Jon Snow explain his stupid actions.

I doubt it will even be brought up.

StormKing

"Told you to not fall into Ramsay's trap!"

I'd like to see Jon Snow explain his stupid actions.

I doubt it will even be brought up.

Saving Rickon was the goal of Jon's stupidity. What was Sansa's goal when she hid the Vale reinforcements from Jon, the destruction of Jon's army?

KahooTs

S: You don't have the men to win.
J: Well we are not going to get anymore, this is it, so we have to attack.
S: Well actually I sent word to LF and he might bring the Vale knights, I'm not sure he will come but there's a decent chance, he did offer them to me before.
J: What? Well ok then, we'll wait a few days for a reply or see if he shows up.
S: K.

Your family member is in danger guys, I doubt logic and reason will dictate you wait to strategize when you know you are dealing with a psychopath who rapes, tortures, murders, and castrates. Not to mention murders babies. With a fucking smile.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Your family member is in danger guys, I doubt logic and reason will dictate you wait to strategize when you know you are dealing with a psychopath who rapes, tortures, murders, and castrates. Not to mention murders babies. With a fucking smile.

"We should wait."
"What about Rikon?"
"He's already dead! That guy's a psycho!"
OK. We'll wait."

Yeah. It might have been hard to forge armor and a battle axe for a giant with their limited resources, but at least give him a huge tree or something to swing around like a club. That probably could have breached the spear and shield formation.

Plenty of dead horses to toss too.

"We should wait."
"What about Rikon?"
"He's already dead! That guy's a psycho!"
OK. We'll wait."

I'm sure once the family member is dead most people are even more likely to calmly wait for a plan.

Not everyone is Jaime who just sails away with his daughter dying because "lol I already said goodbye it'd be awkward to go back"

Yeah, exactly...even with a big make shift shield and a sharpened tree trunk he could have probably reached Ramsay and destroyed him.

Cromwell

Banned

The Wun Wun thing is flat out ridiculous. They just don't want you to think about how badly they handled that. In Hardhome he completely demolished about a hundred zombies or whatever with a tree trunk, barely had a scratch on him.

If Jon had any intelligence at all he would have formulated a battle plan around Wun Wun wielding a tree trunk, of which there's a ton of different ways to do it. The only real threats to him are archers, pikes, and cavalry and even the archers can basically become a non-threat to him if he's carrying something that can block the arrows.

If Sansa would have told Jon about the Vale, all he has to do is use their calvalry to flank the archers and use his own men to take out the cavalry. And then Wun Wun could just wipe the floor with literally every single infantryman including the pikemen with the tree trunk he used in Hardhome. Even with Jon rushing out to save Rickon they still would have utterly annihilated Ramsay if Wun Wun would have had a weapon. It's a game changer. I loved the battle scene but the contrivance to get it to play out like it did is really annoying.

duckroll

Tree trunks? Both sides have archers and were prepared for long range battle right? This is the North. There's nothing but mountains and wildness on the way to Winterfell. Why not just stock up on huge boulders and have Wunwun start off by acting as a super catapult?

D&D think arrows work like bullets.

They do though. Have you played Overwatch?

XAL

The Wun Wun thing is flat out ridiculous. They just don't want you to think about how badly they handled that. In Hardhome he completely demolished about a hundred zombies or whatever with a tree trunk, barely had a scratch on him.

If Jon had any intelligence at all he would have formulated a battle plan around Wun Wun wielding a tree trunk, of which there's a ton of different ways to do it. The only real threats to him are archers, pikes, and cavalry and even the archers can basically become a non-threat to him if he's carrying something that can block the arrows.

If Sansa would have told Jon about the Vale, all he has to do is use their calvalry to flank the archers and use his own men to take out the cavalry. And then Wun Wun could just wipe the floor with literally every single infantryman including the pikemen with the tree trunk he used in Hardhome.

You're expecting logic from a show written by lazy fucks that survive on conveniences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom