• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
I feel like he has to change something major now. Not that R+L=J hasn't been telegraphed since the first book but the reveal has kind of been ruined now. Poor GRRM.

If he didn't watch the show it wouldn't be so bad, but since he does like the rest of us I can't believe seeing his major story beats play out won't bring him down and sap his passion for the remaining books.

X-Frame

Why didn't Benjen warn Bran NOT to pass the wall because how he'll likely cause it to not retain it's magical power anymore (because of the Night King mark)? Or should Bran already know this seeing as what happened back in the cave? Why do I get the feeling he'll just pass through willy-nilly and not even realize it ..

Also, Miguel Sapochnik needs to clone himself and just direct every episode from here on out.

Kard8p3

If he didn't watch the show it wouldn't be so bad, but since he does like the rest of us I can't believe seeing his major story beats play out won't bring him down and sap his passion for the remaining books.

Sucks to suck.

Maybe he should have actually, you know, wrote faster.

All in all great episode.

Wonder why they went from referring to zombie Clegane as "Ser Robert Strong" to "The Mountain" to "Gregor Clegane" over the course of 2 seasons. Any reason to keep his identity a secret early on?

This was one of my bigger pet peeves.

Qyburn introduces him as Ser Robert Strong, this lasts for like an episode, and now it's not even trying to pretend it's a reanimated Gregor Clegane.

Bustanen

Great episode! I must say I enjoyed the the season more because I didn't read the book it was based on.

The question is, will Winds of Winter come out before the next season? Is this a first for a tv show?

I mean it happens all the time in anime, but I don't recall a show moving ahead the books like this in the us.
Come on you already know the answer for that.

143536575030.jpg

Euron

I'd be disappointed if Euron is a major antagonist next season, just deal with him swiftly.

He's had very little build up at all. Discussing the series with family over the weekend; they needed reminding who he was. They were excited when I described book Euron, but I doubt see anything close.
They need him to burn down the Citadel. Now that they introduced it that's definitely happening.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The writing has probably been the worst ever. I used to think GRRM took too much credit for the success and that the show improved on a lot of his stories. But now that the show has surpassed the books, it is fairly obvious that when they don't already have the story spelled out they struggle in the show. It is easy to dissect and improve something when it exists but when you have to create out of thin air, the story struggles. This is very evident in the story of Dorne and Mereen etc.

I liked the last two episodes but from an action and acting point of view. Everything could be predicted. So many of us predicted almost all major plot points because of they have have literally spelled it out.
Well take into account that most of us in this thread has this story pegged before they even filmed the first season. It's really not fair to judge a show harsher when we know all of the back story and have been predicting for years how this shit would play out.

It may be predictable to you, but it's not very for people who have never read the books.

Burt

Honestly it looked like she mouthed "no" at him. Like it wasnt a look of "Im angry Jon is king", it was a look of "Fuck off littledinger"

I think Littlefinger's whole plan was to seduce Sansa in the garden and take the north over right there. Now he's just looking at all these extra rungs he has to climb on that ladder of his like, "...shit".

I can't wait for him to get done, but I'm really anxious he's going to turn into Ramsay 2.0 and just ruin a ton of characters before he gets killed.

Also, I swear to fucking god, if this show ever kills Tormund, I'm done. I know he wasn't even really in this episode, but I didn't want to jinx it beforehand.

mantidor

At a weirwood near the wall. You can see it in the distance.

Just north of the wall, seemed like. He was staring at it when the scene opened, right? And they said he couldn't go any further because of spells from the wall.

I guess somewhat close to the Wall since he said it had spells to ward off the undead and such. Strange they didn't show it in the background. I thought maybe it was the weirwood tree where Jon & Sam took their oaths since it wouldn't be too far from Castle Black.

Ah ok, I thought he left them in the middle of nowhere and I was like, "hey at least leave the horse with them!".

Really awesome finale, I'm still upset about Marg though T_T

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sucks to suck.

Maybe he should have actually, you know, wrote faster.

All in all great episode.

Or not give the HBO the fo to make the show in the first place before finishing the series.

It really has killed the anticipation for winds of winter for me. I'm sure things will different, but still.

They need him to burn down the Citadel. Now that they introduced it that's definitely happening.
Now that they brought Oldtown into the show, I'm definitely thinking Euron is going to make his way there. The only missing pieces of that plot thread are the horns, or whatever they replace them with.

I feel like he has to change something major now. Not that R+L=J hasn't been telegraphed since the first book but the reveal has kind of been ruined now. Poor GRRM.

Yeah poor, rich, lazy GURM who had all his major twists figured out by fans or ruined by the TV show he greenlit because he knew he was never gonna bother finishing his books.

Or not give the HBO the fo to make the show in the first place before finishing the series.

It really has killed the anticipation for winds of winter for me. I'm sure things will different, but still.

Eh this season has made me a lot more excited for the next book. I can't wait to see plotlines from the last two FINALLY pay off. I was hoping we'd see it this season but the show looks to have gone in a largely route with most plot lines. Though I'm sure the ultimate ending will be the same in the show.

Maengun1

The question is, will Winds of Winter come out before the next season? Is this a first for a tv show?

I'm fairly confident the book will be out before season 7 starts, and I haven't really been one to be overly optimistic about his progress. It just feels on the horizon.

That said, beyond that I'm not confident at all that a 7th book will ever be completed lol.

edit: plenty of others have pointed it out too, but I legitimately guffawed @ Varys going from being in Dorne to being on one of Dany's ships in Meereen heading back west in like ~15 minutes of show time

Matsukaze

Now that they brought Oldtown into the show, I'm definitely thinking Euron is going to make his way there. The only missing pieces of that plot thread are the horns, or whatever they replace them with.
He pretty much has to. Dany's not going to be cool with Theon and Yara heading home when there are more immediate battles to fight, so Euron has nothing else to do but sail south and cause trouble.

And then Sam kills Euron with Heartsbane. :p

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I forgot so much about euron! I need to refresh my memory.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That was a fun episode, even from someone who found the Battle of the Bastards bittersweet. It was basically the ASOS episode of the series. Just a ton of stuff happened.

Only complaint I have was teleporter abuse.

That outfit was amazing. Loved the shoulderplates.

I think it's one of the best costumes they've ever made.

You know the thing with Arya cooking the Frey boys and feeding them to their father, it reminds of when earlier in the show Bran brought up the "Rat Cook" and that story was very similar to what Arya did with the Freys.

Brans been doing this future stuff before it was cool.

cj_iwakura

Tommen's going to magically walk into the throne room in S7E1.

"You fell from the tall tower, you prat!"
"No... I was saved... at the last second."
"HOW!?"
"I'll tell you."
[cue music]

The writing has probably been the worst ever. I used to think GRRM took too much credit for the success and that the show improved on a lot of his stories. But now that the show has surpassed the books, it is fairly obvious that when they don't already have the story spelled out they struggle in the show. It is easy to dissect and improve something when it exists but when you have to create out of thin air, the story struggles. This is very evident in the story of Dorne and Mereen etc.

I liked the last two episodes but from an action and acting point of view. Everything could be predicted. So many of us predicted almost all major plot points because of they have have literally spelled it out.

The time for being cryptic is over. This isn't a puzzle that will give people 5 years and numerous re-reads to decipher. It's a tv show meant for a mass audience everything will be spelled out and nothing is wrong with that.

Tommen's going to magically walk into the throne room in S7E1.

"You fell from the tall tower, you prat!"
"No... I was saved... at the last second."
"HOW!?"
"I'll tell you."
[cue music]
Lol, this would be funny.

Except they showed his dead body to Cersei, who said to burn Tommens body ;________;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The writing is bad because you can see how they have to resort to compressing time between scenes to start tying disparate plot threads together. Convenient flashbacks. People arriving in the nick of time to save the day. It has very little to do with "being able to see it coming" or not.

Yeah yeah, the plotlines don't happen synchronously, but when you can no longer trust the passage of time in between cuts, the story starts to lose cohesion.

I bet next season Euron's going to come back with a fleet he conjured up out of nowhere. How much time do you think that would've taken? How much of that time overlapped the events of the finale? Etc, etc. It's clear the showrunners don't know, and they're hinging on people not paying attention.

Granted, there's no real reason to nitpick this stuff, but for a series that built its reputation on meticulous pragmatism, this is a betrayal of ASOIAF's core ethos. Exciting, sure, but good writing this ain't. Any pretense of narrative complexity is gone. It's no different from any number of medieval fantasy crowd pleasers now.

He pretty much has to. Dany's not going to be cool with Theon and Yara heading home when there are more immediate battles to fight, so Euron has nothing else to do but sail south and cause trouble.

And then Sam kills Euron with Heartsbane. :p

Sam. Oldtown. Euron. A fleet of ships. It's going to be crazy.

I forgot so much about euron! I need to refresh my memory.
There's a new Euron-focused chapter out there, from the POV of Damphair, that GRRM read, which was transcribed by fans. It's, in my opinion, one of the best chapters GRRM has ever written.

X-Frame

I do not like this implication of Sansa working against Jon.

I don't think she is going to work against Jon -- you can see she was smiling during the King In The North chants -- only when she realized LF wasn't pleased did she realize she is going to have to watch him, and I'd guess protect Jon.

I'm fairly confident the book will be out before season 7 starts, and I haven't really been one to be overly optimistic about his progress. It just feels on the horizon.

Ehhh. To be in stores by the start of S7, Martin would need to be complete by early February at the latest. That's only like 6.5 months from now. Its 50/50 at best for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't think she is going to work against Jon -- you can see she was smiling during the King In The North chants -- only when she realized LF wasn't pleased did she realize she is going to have to watch him, and I'd guess protect Jon.

Yeah. I totally miss-called that one, thinking she would not step asside for Jon. She was telling him to rule right from the start of the episode.

Littlefinger is pissed though. Don't know what he's going to do. Probably try to turn the North away from Dany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom