• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how they shrunk the world this season. How did Varys get on the boat from Dorne so damn fast?
People said earlier that there were Dornish ships sailing with Danys fleet as well, so there's that.

Also, this show does a lot of time lapses. This one episode probably spanned through a couple weeks for a few characters.

Vire

Can we talk about how incredible the music was? The refrain of the earlier song in the episode when Cersei is on the Iron Throne is just phenomenal.

cj_iwakura

That was a really great episode. Dominoes just falling one after the other. Great direction and music with the lead up to the wildfire explosion.

That said, everyone teleporting around and seeing how certain plot threads have ended up, it really just makes me hate Season 5 even more as just being a huge waste of time. All of the Dorne stuff was completely pointless and having those idiots still lingering around like a stale fart makes me automatically root against whoever they're allying with. Although Olenna laying the verbal smackdown on them was satisfying.

But as they keep culling the cast of tons of characters and we end up with the endgame core group of Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Sansa and maybe Arya, I think the only one I really don't care one iota about is Dany. I've said it before but she just hasn't faced any adversity in so long and her biggest struggle is breaking up with her loser boyfriend.She gets captured by the Dothraki but uses her magical get out of jail free card to instantly take over all of them. Meanwhile, Jaime has lost his hand, his children and his brother; Cersei has lost all her children; Jon has been killed and brought back and had his brother killed in front of him, Sansa has been raped and Arya has turned into an assassin. Those guys have gone through some shit. They've had to struggle to get to where they are.

Meanwhile, Dany faffs around gathering some seemingly huge barbarian army to invade Westeros (who in Westeros would be ok with that?) and everyone is acting all sycophantic around her sucking up to her acting like she's some great leader when her greatest accomplishments have been based on her just murdering people like any run of the mill conqueror, except she has giant dragons and is immune to fire.

No amount of CG dragons can make Dany's story interesting to me until she starts struggling like the rest of Westeros. So her stumbling into Westeros while its in total shambles makes me think she'll just roll in and be hailed as a savior, steamrolling Cersei and then rolling up North to team up with Jon to fight the White Walkers. I just hope its not as predictable as I can foresee the showrunners doing it, now that they're sprinting to the finish.

Basically, Dany needs her to suffer her own sort of Red Wedding to level the playing field a bit. Otherwise everyone and anything that gets involved and allied with her is just sucked into a whole lot of boring.

Dany has suffered more than enough.

I loved this episode except the stupid jetpack Varys at the end. That final shot was not worth destroying continuity. (Or at least put a sand snake on the ship too FFS)

Kallor

vdBy3wU.jpg

Makes sense lol

ROFL. I didn't even notice him on the ship during the ep. WTF are they doing

Madness

So did D&D say in the Inside the Episode that Dany deserves all of this? Does anyone else think that if anything Dany doesn't deserve it? I mean everything she's done is a result of having dragons. I mean I guess that means she "deserves" it, but I have a feeling that's not what they were saying.

Also, Marg :( (I wonder how she will go in the books)

I must be the only one who thinks Dany is actually a villain. Everything she has done goes against decency and how to rule. She is too brutal and devastating to be a great ruler.

kirblar

I must be the only one who thinks Dany is actually a villain. Everything she has done goes against decency and how to rule. She is too brutal and devastating to be a great ruler.
Her entire arc in Meereen is about how she's a great conqueror, terrible ruler. Once she conquers. she has to leave day to day to others, because she's terrible at it.

Littlefinger's staying still so Varys got the teleporter. Dude was all over the place.

Mixed feels at seeing Olenna with the Dorne trash but then again, she told everyone to sit the fuck down, so there's that.

rashbeep

Banned
Can we talk about how incredible the music was? The refrain of the earlier song in the episode when Cersei is on the Iron Throne is just phenomenal.

It was wonderful.

Loved it in the Oldtown library, R+L=J, etc.

Also, watching the BTS stuff on the official YT channel and they're definitely hammering the point that there is some tension between Jon and Sansa. Disappointing if she ends up screwing him over.

Zabka

Took Sam all season to reach Old Town.

Arya reached the river lands in like one episode.

Travel doesn't make sense now as they are ramping up for the finale.

The whole crew made it from Winterfell to King's Landing with a single episode of travel in the first season. The show's been doing this from the beginning.

Kettch

I think the only scene that episode that didn't work for me was Arya. I'm sure they were intending to go for the out of nowhere shock, but that was just too out of nowhere. Arya making it all the way over and then apparently by herself off screen killing two of Frey's sons, baking them into a pie and then getting in to serve them to Walder was just a bit much for me. Also did she take the face with her or did she skin it off some random person she came across? This is the kind of stuff that happens when they take a great scene from the books and then try to shoehorn it into a completely different situation in the show.

Everything else was wonderful though. I laughed when I saw Varys on the boat at the end, but that's just because you guys have got me looking for the teleportation now, it's not really a big deal. :p

I think the only scene that episode that didn't work for me was Arya. I'm sure they were intending to go for the out of nowhere shock, but that was just too out of nowhere. Arya making it all the way over and then apparently by herself off screen killing two of Frey's sons, baking them into a pie and then getting in to serve them to Walder was just a bit much for me. Also did she take the face with her or did she skin it off some random person she came across? This is the kind of stuff that happens when they take a great scene from the books and then try to shoehorn it into a completely different situation in the show.

Everything else was wonderful though. I laughed when I saw Varys on the boat at the end, but that's just because you guys have got me looking for the teleportation now, it's not really a big deal. :p

Bravos to the Twins isn't THAT bad.

The whole crew made it from Winterfell to King's Landing with a single episode of travel in the first season. The show's been doing this from the beginning.

And that supposedly took them like a month of traveling due to how big the King's entourage was. It's also worth noting that things that happen in the same episode may not necessarily be at the exact same moment. There's nothing tethering characters like Arya to characters like Jon, so for all we know when character leave in the middle of episode 7 and show up in the other continent the next episode more time has passed than we realize.

Are you talking about the first ride down? That wasn't till like a few episodes in.

When Caitlyn went down it was at least a couple episodes.

It wasn't on this level then. But that's because they had the good book writing to back them up on the plot structure.

Dysun

That was probably the best finale the show has had so far.
Overall Season 6 was a marked improvement over last year, glad to see my opinion change completely

It's not like it wasn't the case in the books either, I thought it had always been taken for granted that not every scene, every storyline, and in the case of the books every chapter takes place in a perfect continuity, with a certain set length of time between each scene. The interwoven stories are told in the order that leads to the best storytelling, not according to the actual chronology of the events of the story, this has always been the case with the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzOpXpMgEzU

Interesting that Sophie's take on Sansa in the end is that she
is a bit agitated that she doesnt get any credit for whats gone down
. I wonder what meaning that look she gives to LF is then-- I'm sure she knows she'd be a better ruler than Jon.

Well it's not really that she'd be a better ruler, but rather, Winterfell and the North are hers by rights. Jon is a Targaryen, not a Stark, and a bastard Targ at that. He's the son of a daughter of Winterfell, whereas Sansa is the daughter of the lord of Winterfell. She takes precedence.

She is the only one who can inherit Ned's legacy at this point, with Bran being a tree and all.

Turin

Banned
Things I don't want in this story:

Jon/Dany actually happening outside of fanfiction.

Seeing Meereen ever again.

The Sand Snakes speaking another line of dialogue(Bless you, Ollena)

Anything bad happening to beautiful Oldtown(take over the place, Sam!)

Jon receiving any more glory that he doesn't legitimately earn.

Major shoutout to Miguel Sapochnik, really fantastic direction.

Absolutely. The real MVP of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom