• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

You know, I sincerely hope Martin finishes the sixth book before next season. I just want to see how he differs from these showrunners.

Amazing episode! Finally getting some payoff.

Someone was asking if all book storylines have finally been taken care of, the only one left is old town and the crazy wizard shit with Jaqen. Which I assume is covered next season.

The one who has literally been training to be a killing machine since the start of the show?

The same one whose idea of a comfort blanket is easing herself to sleep by repeating the names of people she wanted to murder?

Yeah, left field stuff, for sure.

So she'll go full psycho but then killing a single innocent woman is just crossing the line?

Ros8105

Keep on screwing the women over, D&D.
I mean...Game of Thrones has always been kind of heavy on the misogynistic undertones.

9Fz5S1i.gif

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I just don't like Jon being the new king in the North and not Sansa. His departure from the Night's Watch doesn't make sense to me.

Why? He vowed his life. He fought internally over that decision. He wanted to run away but Ned's honor-fu lessons were too strong. He gave his position his everything, step by step. He accepted his place. He gave his life. He was given a way out, and a second chance to undo something he obviously regrets in not helping the first time.

tiva

Neo Member
Let's be real, this show is a soap opera that people convince themselves is worth watching because everyone has British accents and people with swords. But it basically has the same complexity as an arc of Coronation Street.
I really don't think you're giving the series enough credit here. I know a couple people who can't stand fantasy stuff and they were completely engrossed after the first episode. Just because a show involves a lot of drama between characters doesn't automatically put it on the same level as a soap opera.

golem

I thought it was great. The lingering shot and him coming back into frame was heartbreaking

Yep, I thought it was a great scene. No epic speech or melodramatic acting needed, it was as I would imagine someone who just watched his whole life taken from him would end it.

Is there a mechanism within the show's rules by which Jon can be legitimized as the Stark heir? He has the support of the North, but does he have a claim that is "proper"?

Well, the only people that traditionally can legitimize a bastard is a Lord, or a King. But, if he just takes everything, and all the Lords of the North recognize him as Jon Stark, I imagine that would be enough.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I thought it was brought up around the time he sent Theon to the Iron Islands?
I don't believe so. I think D&D purposely took that out to make his declaration more dramatic. There's more shock value of the houses who did not assist him retaking Winterfell to call him their king.
Well, the only people that traditionally can legitimize a bastard is a Lord, or a King. But, if he just takes everything, and all the Lords of the North recognize him as Jon Stark, I imagine that would be enough.
I don't think they'll be calling him Jon Stark. As Queen Lyanna said, it doesn't matter if he's a bastard, he has Ned's blood.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Littlefinger isn't so petty as to kill Lady Mormont for cockblocking him.

Roose obtains legitimization for Ramsay by petitioning to the crown (offscreen). I don't think Cersei is going to help in Jon's situation. But if Jon is king (in the North), can he legitimize himself?

I suppose one of the lords who declared him king could legitimize him, but he's not going to get the support of Cersei.

I loved the Frey pie scene even if they bungled Arya's arc here and everyone is getting teleportation powers. It was silly they're hiding what's possibly going to end up being Rhaegar and Lyanna being married so Jon isn't actually a bastard (or his name, I'll have to go back and check) actually being legitimate, especially with playing up that he's a bastard I almost got teary eyed from it and that transition though. I wanted Margery to escape and was kind of bummed when she didn't but then Tommen casually killed himself and I forgot. They did a shitload of culling of characters and I kinda hope George really does follow suit since it should start to happen when certain POVs are no longer needed anyway. Cersei finally getting what she wanted, can't wait for the chaos of that which will follow.

Much better season than five over all.

They seem to have figured it out pretty quickly. But I don't know how much of that is due to reader moles.

To be fair, we're on a site of video game site filled playing RPG nerds who have seen this sort of thing many times, I figured it out in the first season, the pilot even and I did start reading the books until after season three started.

EDIT: Abandon thread version of that GIF. http://i.imgur.com/r21KTTj.gif

mantidor

Is there a mechanism within the show's rules by which Jon can be legitimized as the Stark heir? He has the support of the North, but does he have a claim that is "proper"?

Not really. With R + L = J confirmed anyway his claim is more to the Iron Throne than to Winterfell.

Next season is 100% going to address the power play at Winterfell, even if Sansa is ok with Jon being king for now.

Only on NeoGAF will I find someone somehow complaining about the last 2 hours of this show as mysogynistic, when it was literally 95% as close to a female power fantasy as anyone could imagine.

What a great episode though

Brakke

Banned
That whole Kingslanding sequence leading into the wildfire was dope. Excellent music.

The Tommen suicide is silly in that gif, sure, but in the show with the long shot lingering on the window it worked. The teleportation stuff (Dornish fleet lol) is ridiculous sure but it's been ridiculous for ages now so it's easy to just shrug at.

Solid season finale.

TTG

It's funny, the thing I was most excited about this season was finally moving on from the books, then GAF goes and predicts the finale beat for beat. It was still good. I gotta say, for long stretches all this show had was a unique setting(to tv) and the intrigue of moving pieces around the board. Now the cinematography and craftsmanship of the whole show has really stepped up. I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, or it's my favorite, but it's very VERY impressive. They had a proper sword fight early and these last 2 episodes were exceptional. The bastard battle looked better than most big budget Hollywood movies too.

I thought Sansa would take over Wintefell, Jon would move on to assemble an army to prepare for the white walkers and/or go to Bran, but they resurrected the King of the North instead. They can both still do that, but that moniker implies greater ambition. What else? People are teleporting again, but I'll take that over Varys rejoining the team and Arya making her way back in a more protracted way. I'm surprised they didn't bring Brienne back to Winterfell, but it's not so important. Maybe it means she'll actually uncover something along the way(The Hound!).

Perhaps the most definitive thing to take away is house Lannister is really in a death spiral now. The beginning of the end was Tyrion killing papa and he'll probably bring it back at the end, but this episode really gutted King's Landing.

Finally, anyone else think Oldtown is way too huge/grand? They've been entirely quiet until now, still are politically, are we to assume they've just been there all along and no one has as much as thought of them? If it was Maester academy and a village that would be fine, but that place is like a Westeros metropolis.

Geist-

From the non-book thread

Holy fuck lolll

This is incredible XD

Have to admit, I did like this episode a lot more than most of the episodes this season.

Finally, anyone else think Oldtown is way too huge/grand? They've been entirely quiet until now, still are politically, are we to assume they've just been there all along and no one has as much as thought of them? If it was Maester academy and a village that would be fine, but that place is like a Westeros metropolis.

To be fair:

Oldtown is one of the largest cities in Westeros and is the oldest, built by the First Men before the Andal invasion.

Matsukaze

Euron will remedy that.

It's funny, the thing I was most excited about this season was finally moving on from the books, then GAF goes and predicts the finale beat for beat.

Don't give too much credit, there were leaks that turned out to be 100% true as of more than a month ago. Including the Tommen and Jon endings, and the TOJ.

Wasn't there a gafer here who literally said the ending scene word by word?

Like dani sailing with a shot of her fleet then dragons zooming by and then credits? Lmao

Also the real question here is are the dragons going to fly the whole way there?

Ghost23

Wasn't there a gafer here who literally said the ending scene word by word?

Like dani sailing with a shot of her fleet then dragons zooming by and then credits? Lmao

Also the real question here is are the dragons going to fly the whole way there?

To be fair that's a pretty safe bet for an ending scene.

Zabka

They seem to have figured it out pretty quickly. But I don't know how much of that is due to reader moles.

Some people in the other thread are outright discussing the Valonqar prophecy that didn't make it into the show and speculating based on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom