• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

The actor that plays Davos is great. Perfect casting. (EDIT: Same with Lyanna Mormont. the kid rocks it)

The guy at the citadel was a bit too on-the-nose for me. That "No women and children!!" line was unintentionally hilarious. And not in a good way.

How did Cersei become queen? I mean, there's no rightful claim there, she just married into the king's family. With no living Baratheons left are the Lannisters the new royal family? If so, shouldn't that make Jaime the King? Don't get me wrong, I loved the scene and that she is going to be the mad queen, but it doesn't make that much sense considering how they wrote the story so far.

Also, when Bran gets to Winterfell, will he become the King in the North or is Jon Snow a legitimate Stark heir now?

She killed everyone else with a claim, and she has control of the castle. Who is there to stop her?

Its like back in season 1, where Joffrey was crowned even though Ned was supposed to rule in his place for a time. That was made possible because Cersei had control of the castle.

munchie64

That episode was incredible. One of the best the show's ever produced. The directing was godlike.

Did that two truths one lie thing end up being real? I forgot what they were.

Apzu

Even if it makes no sense, Jaqen did say that Arya had become no one, so D&D may think that's enough to explain that she can do everything a Faceless Men can.

She just blew up all her competition, literally, destroyed the great sept, and showed everyone in King's Landing that she gives no fucks anymore. She also has a zombie headsmasher as a bodyguard. With no one left to oppose her, who would be stupid enough to object to such a coronation? Might makes right. What rightful claim did Robert have? I don't think this is particularly different.
Yeah I get that part, but the show emphasized that you need other houses to support your claim, that's what Daenerys has learned this season and why she went for the Greyjoy and Martell support. Even though Cersei was bad at it, she knew the basics of the game of thrones. I'll think better of it if the first episode of Season 7 is her marriage to LF.

Moff

That episode was incredible. One of the best the show's ever produced. The directing was godlike.

Did that two truths one lie thing end up being real? I forgot what they were.

no, but close
arya did not strike three people off her list, only one
she was not in the trailer as that girl

both could have been genuine mistakes, though. maybe williams thought that girl was in a trailer and turner thought maybe roose and someone else was on aryas list as well.

those are the original answers:

Maisie Williams's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.
Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don't realize it's her.
Arya doesn't cross any more names off her list.

Sophie Turner's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Ramsay dies.
Lady Stoneheart returns.
Arya checks three people off her list.

still, quite spoilery answers from the 2 ladies, haha. I always believed there was some truth to them, they would have simply refused to answer those questions otherwise.

Tuck

So does this ep make it into everyone's top 10?

It does for me.

Yeah, for sure. That first 20 minutes alone was incredible. It wasn't a perfect episode, it had a few flaws, but the highs were really, really high.

Sad about Margery though. It was a great scene, but the character (and the actress) was great, so its sad to see her go.

I guess it could be.

It's not going to be, but it could be.

There are dragons, there are cold creatures. It doesn't have to mean "ice and fire meet and fall in love".

Personally I don't really see the big deal about the white walkers. There are what, three white walkers left? And an arrow with an obsidian tip can take them out. Or a spear with an obsidian tip. Or a valyrian steel sword. Or fire.

As for the armies, assuming they don't collapse once the walkers are killed, there seems to be plenty of wildfire left; there are dragons; and they could just rig up plenty of traps/catapults/etc with burning oil to wipe out mindless zombies.

They just don't seem like this big existential threat to me.

Lautaro

Shieeet, I was rewatching the explosion scene and the blast wave hits a lot of blocks.

When it happened I was sure it would create a chain reaction and end up destroying the whole city but having Cersei in power is better, more potential fuckery.

munchie64

no, but close
arya did not strike three people off her list, only one
she was not in the trailer as that girl

both could have been genuine mistakes, though. maybe williams thought that girl was in a trailer and turner thought maybe roose and someone else was on aryas list as well.

those are the original answers:

Maisie Williams's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.
Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don't realize it's her.
Arya doesn't cross any more names off her list.

Sophie Turner's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Ramsay dies.
Lady Stoneheart returns.
Arya checks three people off her list.

still, quite spoilery answers from the 2 ladies, haha. I always believed there was some truth to them, they would have simply refused to answer those questions otherwise.
Ah yes, thankyou. I remembered the "Arya appears more than people realise" part and thought the girl might've been there which woulda been crazy.

Moff

I don't understand the point of Sam's arc. Ok, he's got to old town. Now what?
What's his role in the endgame?

it's one of the few book spoilers there still are
there must be something important there relating to the dragons and/or the white walkers

I expect jaqen and a sandsnake to show up there in season 7

Forkball

Well, Robert had Targaryen blood, he would have been the rightful heir had he actually succeeded in murdering all the Targaryens.

That was basically a scapegoat to give him some legitimacy to the throne. He won it by right of conquest. Might makes right, basically the foundation of Renly's claim as well. There have been countless events in real history where some dude took a throne just because. I was a bit surprised they didn't bring back the Elvis Septon for her coronation though. The High Septon normally handles that task, not the Hand of the King. Eh screw it, you don't nee the rules when you've got wildfire.

Also on reddit I've noticed people point this out.

i76OiUP.jpg

Apparently, a lot of bastards reverse their colors (kinda like the Blackfyres). So Jon Snow's Stark sigil would be a white wolf on grey, the opposite of the grey wolf on white we normally see. Though I checked and in the show the map always had a white wolf on grey. FORESHADOWING? D&D ARE GENIUSES

I'm a little surprised I don't see talk about Tyrion being in love with Dany. His line about how many more men will love her and then his heartbroken pause/look immediately after that line when she turns away.

clemenx

Banned
I was wishing for Maester Marwyn and the whole Maesters vs magic conspiracy to appear. Would have made Samwell's scene more meaningful.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

To uncover something in a book and rush back.

Sam can do three things.

1. Meet up with Jorah and help cure him.
2. Find out some way to defeat the walkers beyond dragon glass.
3. Find out something Bran can do that is actually useful.

Yeah, for sure. That first 20 minutes alone was incredible. It wasn't a perfect episode, it had a few flaws, but the highs were really, really high.

Yep the first 20 minutes was amazing. But once the king jumped, the rest of the episode was pretty standard season 6 stuff.

I get that. But to me it seems the white walker threat is upon them right now.
Sam needs a time skip and a training montage to become a meister.

All he needs to do is read the right book and he is already in the right place. That said, he may have to play Dark Souls a couple of times first to know how to get around.

So when Jamie is inevitably forced to repeat history and kill the mad queen will he have to upgrade his title to "Monarchslayer"? "King and Queenslayer" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

And I wonder if Cersei thought far enough ahead to think about what Kings Landing is going to do for food now that winter has come and she blew up burned bridges with Highgarden.

Can Miguel direct every episode? Jesus I know he had the budget, but this man can direct. The tone and direction of these final two episodes were fantastic.

Lyanna Mormont is phenomenal and adorable.

Jon Snow DAKINGINDANORF. I was shaking during this scene. Jon has been my favorite since I read Book 1.

Arya using the LF/Varys teleporter and killing Walder was great.

Bronn's "fuck it" scene was hilarious. I love that man.

Jaime realizing Cersei is the Mad Queen.

This has been by far my favorite season.

So when Jamie is inevitably forced to repeat history and kill the mad queen will he have to upgrade his title to "Monarchslayer"? "King and Queenslayer" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

And I wonder if Cersei thought far enough ahead to think about what Kings Landing is going to do for food now that winter has come and she blew up burned bridges with Highgarden.
Kingslayer and Kinslayer

The King of Regicide.

Edit: Regicide only applies to king though.

Arkanius

Guys, I think the most powerful moment of this episode was Tommen's demise.

Maybe because it was suicide, and because he was a kid, but it was powerful as fuck.

Forkball

You would not believe the Citadel's manga collection.

In the books he really just goes there to become a maester and hide Mance's kid. Everyone suspects he will find some information about dragons or the white walkers though. However that mystery is kind of pointless in the show since Dany is arriving... like next episode. Is he going to find something more amazing than gigantic dragons?

The whole Faceless Men arc in the show makes zero sense. She failed her training but he essentially went whatever and gave her all the tools to give on a killing spree despite that not being how the Faceless Men operate or seemingly condone?

When she was given the coin and told to go to Bravos to become a faceless man. Jaquen promised her that she'd be able to cross the names off her list.

Something a faceless man wouldn't normally be able to do.

So it's pretty obvious this is a final quid pro quo for saving his life. You're just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

I get that. But to me it seems the white walker threat is upon them right now.
Sam needs a time skip and a training montage to become a meister.
Yeah, Sam, Jon, Sansa, Bran were all supposed to benefit from timeskips, but GRRM couldn't figure out what to do with some of the other characters so he just nixed that plan.

Jarmel

Banned
Jon to dualwield next season.

When she was given the coin and told to go to Bravos to become a faceless man. Jaquen promised her that she'd be able to cross the names off her list.

Something a faceless man wouldn't normally be able to do.

So it's pretty obvious this is a final quid pro quo for saving his life. You're just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Then why was she punished for Trant?

Guys, I think the most powerful moment of this episode was Tommen's demise.

Maybe because it was suicide, and because he was a kid, but it was powerful as fuck.
It was and I wish the episode spent a few minutes fully exploring Cersei's realization that in the end she was the one who fulfilled the prophecy she spent her entire life in terror of.

I think the humiliation of the walk of atonement is what broke her mentally but Tommen's suicide is what will drive her completely over the edge. Maybe they're saving that exploration for next season.

Mr Git

That was the best finale in the whole series I think. Opening scenes and music were wonderfully done - it had even been explicitly mentioned by Tyrion last episode but the wildfire still shocked - I definitely didn't expect it to take out an entire troupe of KL characters. I was agape when Tommen leapt - I didn't even register the Chris Morris gif until I watched it again - wasn't expecting it at all.
Was also definitely not expecting Arya to show up in Westeros yet, crikey. Frey pies.
Actually hilarious that the show basically did their own version of the Olenna|sandsnakes disgust gif.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom