• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schrade

I stopped reading the books once I got to the Dorne/Sand Snakes parts in them. Sooo fucking boring. Just would not hold my interest. I don't even remember where I left off but I just remember stopping because that it sucked trying to read through the Dorne crap.

FootballFan

GRRM should re-release AFFC and ADWD with chapter ordered as per chronology
would improve their flow somewhat and peoples opinions on the sand snakes and dorne may may be more positive

ryseing

In other news, hasn't Sophie Turner's acting gotten much better?

That's what happens when you're actually given material beyond playing a scared little girl.

I keep hearing how the show is trimming the fat but then we have scenes like that or Ramsay talking about what to do with Myranda's body or the incredibly long Dorthrakai conversation that went nowhere. The show has pointless scenes and removes that history, backstories, and motivations that give the book so much depth. Yay!

Episodes have gotten shorter as well. Would it really kill them to add another 2-3 minutes of exposition per episode? Just for worldbuilding purposes if nothing else.

Violater

If Mel is 400 years old then why didn't she know how to resurrect people. In the show, she was surpised that it can be done. She asked the Thoros of Myr how was that possible.

And why doesn't she try to resurrect stannis.

Lol didn't she leave before the battle?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yoren took down half a dozen soldiers with a crossbow bolt stuck in him AND got a badass line before he died. Grenn took down a giant and saved the wall in the process.

Different story entirely.

But gone too soon.

Selmy had some decent moves at his advanced age, was failed by the weakass unsullied. He also at least has a bunch of stories told about his abilities in the past and a kickass "I quit" in the red keep.

Truthfully, I skipped over tons of dorme stuff in the books, and so I don't know much about Hotah. His show fight scenes consist of moving his spear thing at Jamie for like 5 seconds.

Show Mace is the worst. Both a failure on the books (ghost of winterfell, right?) as well as a waste of Ciarian Hinds.

Gattsu25

Banned
I keep hearing how the show is trimming the fat but then we have scenes like that or Ramsay talking about what to do with Myranda's body or the incredibly long Dorthrakai conversation that went nowhere. The show has pointless scenes and removes that history, backstories, and motivations that give the book so much depth. Yay!

Regarding the bold, that was a decent scene in my eyes. Further established Ramsay's character.

bitbydeath

That's what happens when you're actually given material beyond playing a scared little girl.

When did that happen?
All I remember is her being scared of water and cowering under a tree as others fought on and then stumbled through a speech because she's still a scared little girl.

MikeyB

When did that happen?
All I remember is her being scared of water and cowering under a tree as others fought on and then stumbled through a speech because she's still a scared little girl.
The stumbling in the speech must be fear (which adds to your concern about her still being one dimensional), because she's the Stark girl who knew all the court protocol and spent years at King's Landing.

Lothar

Banned
In other news, hasn't Sophie Turner's acting gotten much better?

I don't think she was ever bad, I liked her in Season 1 especially the scene where Joffrey takes her to look at Ned's head and she thinks about pushing him off, but she has certainly been great last season and this episode. Acting is one thing no one complained about for her story last year and people definitely would have given it to her like they give it to the actors on the other hated storyline in Dorne.

The Sansa/Theon/Brienne/Pod scene was the one story this episode I thought was great. Both Alfie Allen and Sophie Turner's acting had a lot to do with that. I hope there's a way they can keep them together but they probably won't.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
dorne8eogo.gif

XmMDTd2.gif

I'm pretty sure some fans did this and it's an ebook.

(they did and it's amazing)

Out 1

Maybe I'm misreading the scene, but it seems that the success or failure of Sand Snakes' plan depended on them being there when Doran gets the letter from King's Landing. That's exceptionally poor writing.

bitbydeath

The stumbling in the speech must be fear (which adds to your concern about her still being one dimensional), because she's the Stark girl who knew all the court protocol and spent years at King's Landing.

Yeah that's how I saw it. It's not that she doesn't know the words but rather was shaken from the events which took place.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe I'm misreading the scene, but it seems that the success or failure of Sand Snakes' plan depended on them being there when Doran gets the letter from King's Landing. That's exceptionally poor writing.

I don't think they had a plan.

They're snakes. They greet you with niceties and strike when you least expect it.

You might call them heroes.

KahooTs

Reflecting back to the Melisendre scene.. I really don't know what D&D want us to take from that scene.

Seems like you could take it as her feeling weak and fragile as all the things shes seen in the flames is falling apart.

But then there was some weird focus on the light streaming through the window which she stared at with an almost defeated look.

Also Davos saying that they still have her as a draw card..

I don't know just a weird scene all around.

It doesn't make sense to me to reveal her to be like that and not tell us what it means to the actual story apart from her being older than we thought.

I think you got what to me it felt they were trying to push in the scene. She's defeated, everything she saw being wrong is the least of it, Azhor Ahai has failed, she now literally thinks the end of the world is soon and inevitable. An end she had been fighting for centuries.

Gigglepoo

Like some if us were saying a little while ago, there are way too many coincidences in GoT. Their writing is all about cheap shortcuts. They'd rather make another "Varys doesn't have a cock" joke or re-establish that Ramsay is a sadist than do proper world and character building.

My problem isn't that the show diverges from the books, it's that's what's there strives for twists without doing any of the legwork to make those moments resonate.

Speevy

Banned
Like some if us were saying a little while ago, there are way too many coincidences in GoT. There writing is all about cheap shortcuts. They'd rather make another "Varys doesn't have a cock" joke or re-establish that Ramsay is a sadist than do proper world and character building.

My problem isn't that the show diverges from the books, it's that's what's there strives for twists without doing any of the legwork to make those moments resonate.

You're gonna love it when they establish Euron Greyjoy as this amazing character and have him killed by a random soldier.

MikeyB

EXACTLY. I'm very concerned that they're coasting on the complexity of earlier relationships and characters and that the further we get from the source material, the more obvious the simplicity of their approach to the stories will be.

Brakke

Banned

Or it's just poor planning.

Faddy

Banned
GRRM should re-release AFFC and ADWD with chapter ordered as per chronology
would improve their flow somewhat and peoples opinions on the sand snakes and dorne may may be more positive

It is still awful because none of the POVS are interwoven it doesn't really help. I tried reading the combined version and I couldn't do it. There just isn't enough focus to make it work as one big book.

I ended up finishing the re-read by just reading the character chapters together.

I did it in this order

Varamyr
Brienne
Sansa
Davos
Cersei/Jaime
Bran
Pate
Arya
Sam
Jon (with Melisandre)
Theon
Aeron
Asha
Victarion
Dorne (Aero/Arys/Arianne)
Tyrion
Quentyn
Connington
Dany
Barristan
Kevan

duckroll

Why does the letter matter? They could have killed him at any time. What plan? It was just stabbity-stab-stab-happy-times.

mantidor

I was seriously hoping for dragons with that scene, it would have been so much better, I know dragons are expensive but I'm sure they have the budget for it.

Gigglepoo

Kind of crazy that they still have to cram in Sam, Iron Islands, and Bran. Curious how they're going to keep so many plates spinning.

Just watched it.

What the hell happened to Dorne. lmao

I don't want to hate the show but this was one of the worst episodes of this series. Bad script, bad cinematography, poor acting...

I guess the Melisandre scene is the most mindblowing thing. That was pretty interesting, I'll give the show that at least.

Florist

Neo Member
I think you got what to me it felt they were trying to push in the scene. She's defeated, everything she saw being wrong is the least of it, Azhor Ahai has failed, she now literally thinks the end of the world is soon and inevitable. An end she had been fighting for centuries.

I thought she was preparing to give her life force to Jon. (Edit: whoops)

Kozak

Banned

But Thoros of Myr.

So we know she has the ability and she knows that it is possible.

Its gonna come down to Davos encouraging her to give it one more go and some light is gonna stream in and wrap itself around Melisendre or some shit haha

KahooTs

I thought she was preparing to give her life force to Jon. (Edit: whoops)

Why though? In her mind Stannis was AA ... up until she deserted him? Anyway, Stannis was the saviour, he's dead, so the whole world is going to end.

To her Jon seemed kind of important but really was just a little side thing. Jon dying is sad to her, another failed vision, but what does it truly matter? AA is dead/failed/false, the whole world is ending soon anyway.

I don't think reviving Jon has occurred to her.

Speevy

Banned
Make peace with me or die, women trying to kill m future daughter in law.

Now give me a sponge bath. I'm old and feeble.

Matsukaze

I missed the episode last night due to family stuff, so having just now watched it, here are my thoughts (none of which, I'm guessing, are any new):

The Good:
+ Wall stuff was good. I like seeing Davos take charge of the loyal few and Melisandre being in a funk. I also enjoyed the scene of Thorne trying to convince the masses that he did what had to be done; it had the right undertone of "turn on me and you lot are definitely fucked". I knew they weren't going to bring Jon back in the very first episode, so for now I'm expecting the resurrection will be the culmination of Episode 3 (maybe even 4).

+ Ramsay and Roose continues to be one of the most interesting dynamics by far. Ramsay's brief moment of human emotion was great and that "good meat" line was the perfect way to transition back to the norm. I really love the tension between father and son; it's delivered so nicely in both the dialogue and Ramsay's body language around dear ol' dad.

+ Speaking of great two-man pairings, Tyrion and Varys gives me hope for Meereen without Dany. I like the idea that the two of them will be up to their knees in bullshit trying to handle the Sons of the Harpy. I really want to see them put their heads together trying to stay one step ahead of the cutthroats.

+ As much as Jaime's "fuck everyone but us" line fell flat (to my ears), I really do want to see the Lannisters in full-on revenge mode. I don't really want to see an entire season of Cersei fawning over Tommen only to have him get ganked in episode 9, so hopefully Cersei cranks up the spite and anger (looking your way, Sparrow).

The Bad:
- They did it. They found a way to make the Dornish even more cringeworthy than last season. The utter shit of Season 5 Dorne has now become a diarrhea geyser in the very first episode. I am honestly kinda impressed. I was hoping against hope that we would at least see Hotah mowing down motherfuckers with that axe at some point, but I guess not.

- I really don't know what to make of Dany's captivity (and Jorah's and Daario's pursuit), but the first episode did nothing to hook me on this particular storyline. Going to Vaes Dothrak sounds like a real dead-end, and while that sounds like the ideal place for a "rescue" attempt, I'm not sure I'll be interested by the time that happens. The brief exchange between Jorah and Daario didn't really offer much in the way of chemistry; I figure that has to change and that tensions over Dany will inevitably bubble over, but who knows.

The Ugly:
. The chase scene in the Northern woods was just... awkward; it was neither terrible nor strong, only awkward. River is freezing cold? Let's wade through it and keep hurrying on like it's nothing. Then, Theon walking ten feet away from Sansa was just really dumb. I was waiting for one of the riders to point and go "I can see her from here, you know". Brienne saving the day was nice as it finally gives her something to do, but it looks like we're probably in for more walking and talking. I can't wait to see what Brienne has to say when she actually realizes "Oh right, you're Theon, the guy who turned on his best friend and caused a big shitstorm at Winterfell."

All in all, it was decent. I've altogether abandoned hope for a couple storylines, but I'm still looking forward to most of them.

Florist

Neo Member
Why though? In her mind Stannis was AA ... up until she deserted him? Anyway, Stannis was the saviour, he's dead, so the whole world is going to end.

To her Jon seemed kind of important but really was just a little side thing. Jon dying is sad to her, another failed vision, but what does it truly matter? AA is dead/failed/false, the whole world is ending soon anyway.

I don't think reviving Jon has occurred to her.

I admit that thought is mostly wishful thinking, but I still think Jon is coming back. The showrunners chose to explain Beric's ability to come back to life, and I think they held off on the lady stoneheart storyline so as to not overuse such a big twist. As of right now, Melisandre is the only way I see him coming back. White walker Jon could be cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom