• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drazgul

What changes do you people think we will see in Jon after his resurrection? Unfortunately it looks like he won't become a Whitewalker as he'll most likely be revived in the same way Beric Dondarrion was, which means he'll lose some part of him. What part will it be?

Hopefully he'll say fuck this and join the white walker posse and get to ride a kickass frost wyrm.

mantidor

My real wish is to get to see Throne, the Nights watch, the Boltons and the South to realize about the white Walker threat just at a point where is inevitable, it would be so cathartic, which is the reason it probably not happen. It will be Jon "saving the world" and no one noticing it.

bengraven

Pretty sure we'll get a more somber, if possible, Jon. More violent. Soul-less.

Basically a more humane Tom Strong.

Martin has said he loves the ending of LOTR and how it's bittersweet, especially the fact that Frodo is damaged at the end, so i can see Jon basically being a Frodo. All alone in the North, someone related to him having his baby in their womb far far away to be raised by someone else.

Euron

I'm still slightly on the fence about the character of Jon and all that
R+L=J
stuff being a red herring.
But that's because I have my own slightly crazy theory R =/= J
They spent at least 5 minutes last episode bashing us over the head with clues from multiple characters (Littlefinger, Stannis, Melisandre). It's going to happen on the show, they aren't subtle about anything. In fact, the episode that reveals it will have a recap beforehand that shows all of these things again.

I'm still pretty certain it'll happen in the books as well.

Brakke

Banned
[...]

Let's disregard the Dornish political dynamics from the book. There still are noble houses as I already established, who are sworn to House Martell. Again, we don't know whom exactly takes what position, but really, there are only 3 positions they can take towards the Martells:
- They can be loyal to Doran, then they definitely would not support Ellaria.
- They can be rivaled to Doran, and might even support the Snakes. But there is no reason they would follow those bastards any further than killing off the Martells. Because why should they follow these bastards, the lover and daughters of their rival's brother?
- They can be neutral in the political situation. In that case, they wouldn't support Ellaria either way, because why should they?

Again, with bastards not being legitimate even in Dorne, unless the Snakes have a proper noble to take up the throne of Sunspear, they have absolutely no claim, and even if they should have forged alliances with Doran's rivals in order to stage the coup, at this point, not a single Dornish house should follow them.

[...]

Thanks for coming back to this. I do want to stick on this section for a second though, because you haven't enumerated all the possible stances of the Dornish houses. We can imagine plenty of reasons a Dornish house might want to war with the Lannisters even under an illegitimate leader in Ellaria: long-standing animosity toward Lannisters / Andals generally means any excuse to war is a good excuse; fierce ethnic Dornish pride, or an eagerness to win glory for your house and thereby advance its position within the Dornish court; if your house is an industrial center, you stand to be made rich by equipping and supplying a Dornish army. Even if you hate Ellaria, you might go along with her plan at least for a little while: if you get close to her by feigning fealty, it'll make it easier for you to assassinate her and be in a position to take up the mantle yourself. Indeed, this is the very strategy that Ellaria deployed against Doran, to clear success.

Under such a scenario in the books, I'd expect a house or two each to represent all of the stances you've enumerated plus all of the stances I've enumerated plus several more that don't occur to me just now. Some bumblehead idiot lord is probably lusting after the Bad Pussy and only signs his house up for war so he can win her ardor and get his dick wet. Having benefited from a "formal" education doesn't preclude people from making dumb or selfish or shortsighted or deluded decisions. An uprising against Lannister rule may even be smart right now, since we know the Lannisters are bankrupt and their allies from the Reach aren't on good terms with them. The express purpose or Robert's Rebellion was that Robert wanted to bone down with Lyanna the Hottie; nobody under him really needed to care about that purpose in order to find some selfish reason to sign himself up. We joking here about a mess being a ladder, well maybe the Dornish are just feeling ambitious generally.

But yeah, a lot of this is kind of pointless speculation because the show basically just doesn't care about intra-kingdom politics too much. Not since Robb's war council have we really seen that kind of detail when it comes to the bannermen. The shows been on a trajectory of broadening scope and necessarily has gone more shallow, probably to its detriment. It'd be cool to see the show just straight up not care if it's viewers can keep up. We can see plenty of cases where they elided things for the sake of viewers being able to keep up. I'm curious how much of that is subject to the constraints of television production: is it even possible to have, say, a Lord of Lemonwood who gets like four lines over two scenes four episodes apart? What does the budget look like if we fleshed out house politics? Can we even cast people in such tiny roles?

The decision to split Feast and Dance by geography in the books was terrible. George should've just thrown half of those chapters in the garbage (looking at you, Dick Crabb of Crackclaw Point) and made one good book instead of two aimless ones. I'm kind of curious if it would've worked to split GoT Seasons by geography. If we didn't have to keep cutting over to remind people that Arya exists, we could spend some time getting intricate.

Brakke

Banned
My real wish is to get to see Throne, the Nights watch, the Boltons and the South to realize about the white Walker threat just at a point where is inevitable, it would be so cathartic, which is the reason it probably not happen. It will be Jon "saving the world" and no one noticing it.

This has been a weird tension in the story for a long time now. There's basically four plots that "matter": Jon, Dany, Bran, and maybe Sam insofar as things related to Magick are happening at the Citadel. Who gives a flying fuck about anything else when a magical existential threat is bearing down on all mankind? Arya getting good at stabbing fools is cool but what good is it for her to go on a murder-rampage in King's Landing if the city's going to be razed by a millions-strong horde of ice zombies a year later?

Kain

This is very cool. Also it will never happen.

The common theory is that Dany and Jon will die fighting against the WW and will wipe them out. And nobody will care because nobody cares about what happens in the north.

So from those pictures we'll be seeing

-Balon and Yara, Euron probably killing Balon
-Bran seeing Young Ned in Winterfell
-Whatever the fuck Meera is gonna be doing
-Tyrion pulling a Quentyn

Isn't the Seven Pointed Star organized into sections by God? Father's Book, Maiden's Book, etc?
Some of the ASoIaF wikis note that the Seven Pointed Star is divided into seven books as you have described, and the Book of the Maiden has been explicitly mentioned in the series.

dubq

- Dorne might be more accepting of bastards, but without a ruler to legitimize them, they cannot take control. This will leave a power vacuum.

They can take control in a coup, easily, especially if they have the backing of the people and guards. Also, if they're going to war with the Iron Throne, and supposedly have the backing of the Dornish people, why would they care if they're legitimized one way or the other? If they win the war, none of that really matters.

fantomena

New thoughts based on the 2nd trailer for the season:

- Ramsay is cleaning his knife after killing Roose and Walda
- Jon is riding the white horse. The same horse is seen in the first red band trailer and on 01:17 we can see what looks like Jon, there are simply lots of focus on the white horse

Speevy

Banned
New thoughts based on the 2nd trailer for the season:

- Ramsay is cleaning his knife after killing Roose and Walda
- Jon is riding the white horse. The same horse is seen in the first red band trailer and on 01:17 we can see what looks like Jon, there are simply lots of focus on the white horse

Maybe he just made his famous Ramsay stew for the family. Why does it have to be a killing?

Speevy

Banned
Edd and Thorne seeing a rised Jon

Just kidding, not gonna happen in episode 2, I guess episode 3
Is the battle over Jon's body/wolf just a tease? I wouldn't think Aliser would be out in the open after that, and he definitely doesn't kill Edd or Davos.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So I am thinking they skip Sam's journey and get him "Home" right away? I mean it won't make sense, but hey, we haven't made sense for a while with traveling. I am also guessing due to the episode name that Euron will arrive "Home" next episode as well. Arrive probably near the end of the episode after Balon has died. Maybe Bran will have a flashback of Winterfell, his "Home".

Than we still have:

King's Landing
Meereen
The Wall
Winterfell
Brienne & Co.
Arya

fantomena

Is the battle over Jon's body/wolf just a tease? I wouldn't think Aliser would be out in the open after that, and he definitely doesn't kill Edd or Davos.

Davos doesn't die since the tailer shows him in episode 9 battle. Not sure about Edd. Edd can possibly die, but if the leaked stuff I know is true, he won't die during that Jon corpse battle.

Speevy

Banned
Davos doesn't die since the tailer shows him in episode 9 battle. Not sure about Edd. Edd can possibly die, but if the leaked stuff I know is true, he won't die during that Jon corpse battle.

So
It does sound like a tease. There's no way they wouldn't cut Aliser's head clean off his shoulders if given the chance.

Sean C

So I am thinking they skip Sam's journey and get him "Home" right away?
The first clip we've gotten of him shows him on a boat. But he's definitely going to get to Oldtown quickly, because Season 5 covered all the relevant material from Sam's AFFC travelogue other than his inconsequential meeting with Arya.

Syder

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks the Game of Thrones bedshitting has continued with S6E01. Why didn't Jaime's boat land in the Stormlands and send Ravens to Prince Doran and Cersei or something? Why weren't the Sand Snakes immediately taken into custody at King's Landing?

This is a hundred million dollar car crash.

Speevy

Banned
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks the Game of Thrones bedshitting has continued with S6E01. Why didn't Jaime's boat land in the Stormlands and send Ravens to Prince Doran and Cersei or something? Why weren't the Sand Snakes immediately taken into custody at King's Landing?

This is a hundred million dollar car crash.

My guess is that they stowed away with Bronn's help.

Watch this be a later season reveal.

jdstorm

Banned
They spent at least 5 minutes last episode bashing us over the head with clues from multiple characters (Littlefinger, Stannis, Melisandre). It's going to happen on the show, they aren't subtle about anything. In fact, the episode that reveals it will have a recap beforehand that shows all of these things again.

I'm still pretty certain it'll happen in the books as well.

I agree to an extent. I think R+L= J is 100% True. And will be so in both forms. However I'm not sold on J = AA(TPTWP) which is the whole point of the theory. The chosen one prophesy says A+R = TPTWP.

The Mad King allegedly had 3 children with Rahella and only one is still alive (Dany) that leaves her as the primary option. Yet at first it was believed Regar was TPTWP and later that it would be one of his children. Which leaves Jon as the only viable alternative.

However my crazy theory is that Rahella Targarean wasn't Regars mother. Which there is ample evidence within the books to suggest that it may be likely true. If this theory is correct it's a game changer. Something GRRM has hidden in plain sight that will be dropped on people in TWOW or ADOS

For the show I don't think it matters as much. I think the endgame is a Magnificant 7 style final stand against the White Walkers led by characters that are best representative of each of the 7.

So the seven are Father, Mother, Maid, Warrior, Smith, Crone and Stranger, however since GRRM loves to subvert fantasy tropes each character will be a character that fills the role untraditionally. IE Dany = Mother, the goddess of fertility despite being Sterile ect I'm guessing the final 7 will be Jamie, Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Aria, Sansa and Brieanne

Apt101

Was Hotah wearing armor? I just assumed she somehow penetrated into his heart, and/or it was powerful poison. But I just watched the scene again and it does seem off.

Man, Hotah didn't get to do shit in the show. At least he killed homeboy in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom