• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Was Hotah wearing armor? I just assumed she somehow penetrated into his heart, and/or it was powerful poison. But I just watched the scene again and it does seem off.

Man, Hotah didn't get to do shit in the show. At least he killed homeboy in the books.

He did not look like a person that died from poison, at all.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
A question about the promo:

When Ramsay is talking about attacking Castle Black, what does this lead to?
I assume
Ramsey attacking Castle Black. With the show logic, this will probably be one of the primary justifications for Jon to recapture Winterfell, since the Watch can't protect against the White Walkers if the Boltons keep attacking them from behind.

Kain

I agree to an extent. I think R+L= J is 100% True. And will be so in both forms. However I'm not sold on J = AA(TPTWP) which is the whole point of the theory. The chosen one prophesy says A+R = TPTWP.

The Mad King allegedly had 3 children with Rahella and only one is still alive (Dany) that leaves her as the primary option. Yet at first it was believed Regar was TPTWP and later that it would be one of his children. Which leaves Jon as the only viable alternative.

However my crazy theory is that Rahella Targarean wasn't Regars mother. Which there is ample evidence within the books to suggest that it may be likely true. If this theory is correct it's a game changer. Something GRRM has hidden in plain sight that will be dropped on people in TWOW or ADOS

For the show I don't think it matters as much. I think the endgame is a Magnificant 7 style final stand against the White Walkers led by characters that are best representative of each of the 7.

So the seven are Father, Mother, Maid, Warrior, Smith, Crone and Stranger, however since GRRM loves to subvert fantasy tropes each character will be a character that fills the role untraditionally. IE Dany = Mother, the goddess of fertility despite being Sterile ect I'm guessing the final 7 will be Jamie, Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Aria, Sansa and Brieanne

Then who would be Rhaegar's mother?

I'm more sold on the theory that Tyrion is a Targaryen bastard myself.

For the show I don't think it matters as much. I think the endgame is a Magnificant 7 style final stand against the White Walkers led by characters that are best representative of each of the 7.

So the seven are Father, Mother, Maid, Warrior, Smith, Crone and Stranger, however since GRRM loves to subvert fantasy tropes each character will be a character that fills the role untraditionally. IE Dany = Mother, the goddess of fertility despite being Sterile ect I'm guessing the final 7 will be Jamie, Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Aria, Sansa and Brieanne

I really can't see the story going down this route. I think having the story come down to all the characters banding together to fight the White Walkers is as tropey as you can get, regardless of how you switch it up. It means you either end the stories of those characters a season early to they can all be in the 'final fight' or you pull some Stephen King shit where they're all destined to be in that fight and have half the characters go through the same journey.

At some point we have to learn what the White Walkers want and the characters have to learn how to deal with that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's tied to Winterfell and The Starks in some way and they never actually go any further South than that.

Speevy

Banned
The whitewalkers aren't malevolent, are they?

I always assumed that they were like the wildlings, and had justification for killing men that dates back before men can remember.

Speevy

Banned
I assume
Ramsey attacking Castle Black. With the show logic, this will probably be one of the primary justifications for Jon to recapture Winterfell, since the Watch can't protect against the White Walkers if the Boltons keep attacking them from behind.
The night's watch is still sitting with about 50 men. They may be 50 good men, but I doubt they could stand an attack from Satan.

fantomena

GRRM kinda indirectly confirmed he's not.

This is from 2002 from when he answered questions:
5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202/

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Or maybe the Crone will be Melisandre. People are speculating she might die/be dying with the whole Jon situation and her being so old, and I'm not dismissing the idea, but she could just as well survive somehow, forever lamenting how wrong she's been all this time.

So :
- Dany would be the Mother despite being sterile - or Cersei even though her children are pretty much all dead and she attempted to mercy kill one of them
- Sansa would be the maid despite being raped countless time by Wonderboy Ramsay; if not her, Brienne
- Jaime would be the Father, or the Warrior
- Arya would be the Stranger, obviously
- Jon would be the Warrior (TPTWP/AA, yadda yadda yadda), or Brienne
- The Smith would be... I dunno, Brienne? Eh.
- Either Cersei or Mel would be the Crone... Unless the show DOES bring Lady Stoneheart in the end lol

Of all those, I'm thinking some of them might die, to be honest, namely Mel (see above), Brienne and/or maybe Cersei.

Other people I'm definitely expecting to stay alive in some way until at least the beginning of the last season are Theon and Bran. Bran is basically an immortal tree anyway, and the show will probably go the same way.

And Benjen Stark lol.

I kinda want the series to end with everyone dead, and then a post-credits scene of Benjen Stark entering the ruined Red Keep going "Sorry guys, I went whoring in Braavos. What did I miss?"

Sean C

I assume
Ramsay doesn't attack Castle Black. You can see Davos and Mel are still there at 604/605 in promo photos (in the latter, Mel is readying to ride out somewhere). Most likely Roose says to hold off on Ramsay's initial suggestion and some version of the Pink Letter is sent first.

Ithil

I always assumed that they were like the wildlings, and had justification for killing men that dates back before men can remember.

I assume they are no more malevolent than the humans that conquered Westeros multiple times (First Men, Andals, Targaryens, etc). The problem is the humans of Westeros are now the natives getting steamrollered.

Someone, somewhere pointed this out:

1) The Others can be a reference to Postcolonialism-style Othering and all that entails.

2) GRRM was a conscientious objector during Vietnam.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if at the end it's revealed that the Others have just as good a reason to invade Westeros as the Westerosi have for sending rangers north of the wall, excluding the Wildlings from the safety of the south, etc. etc.

Syder

Was Hotah wearing armor? I just assumed she somehow penetrated into his heart, and/or it was powerful poison. But I just watched the scene again and it does seem off.

Man, Hotah didn't get to do shit in the show. At least he killed homeboy in the books.
*SIGH*
1461587741894.jpg

Kain

I kinda want the series to end with everyone dead, and then a post-credits scene of Benjen Stark entering the ruined Red Keep going "Sorry guys, I went whoring in Braavos. What did I miss?"

lol I'm down with that

Benjen where the fuck are you????

jdstorm

Banned
Then who would be Rhaegar's mother?

Keep in mind this is a 100% crazy theory mostly because I was bored
As a teenager Rahella Targarean had two close friends and handmaidens. One was from dorne and was Rahella's best friend. The other was Joanna Lannister. The theory is that Joanna and Rahella looked extremely similar so they swapped lives. Joanna was ambitious married Aryes because she wanted to be queen. and Rahella married Tywin Lannister out of love.

There is a fair amount of evidence to support this theory.
1. A lack of information describing Joanna or Rahella physically despite GRRM detailing thousands of insignificant and far removed characters. I mean we know more about hot pie at this point.
2. Tywin Lannister a cruel man obsessed with family Honor and legacy supposedly married beneath himself for Love. This is the guy that slept with his son's lover just because he hated him. And most interactions don't place him as a loving man.
3. Historically the Lannisters have had a poor relationship with Dorne, yet Tywin was planning on marrying both Jamie and Cersi to Dorneish nobility, as organised by his wife. He quickly reneged on this after her death
I really can't see the story going down this route. I think having the story come down to all the characters banding together to fight the White Walkers is as tropey as you can get, regardless of how you switch it up. It means you either end the stories of those characters a season early to they can all be in the 'final fight' or you pull some Stephen King shit where they're all destined to be in that fight and have half the characters go through the same journey.

At some point we have to learn what the White Walkers want and the characters have to learn how to deal with that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's tied to Winterfell and The Starks in some way and they never actually go any further South than that.

Personally I think that GRRM is less interested in subverting or avoiding tropes then he is subverting audience expectations. IE the Audience thinks that a character won't Die... RIP. The Audience thinks a character is good/evil. Look they are the opposite. However at some point you have to stick to conventional storytelling methods to tell a well realised coherent story. No amount of misdirects will avoid that. I'd also argue that having Tyrion and Sansa as two of the 7 great Warriors is unlikely enough to be considered subversion.

GRRM actually hints at that in the historical event "The Dance of the Dragons" where one of the warring sides assembles a 7 man team to fight the other, and GRRM does love his historical foreshadowing

Re who would be the Magnificant 7?

Assuming we have met them.
Father = Davos - all his sons died in the battle of Blackwater or Tyrion - Murdered Tywin on the toilet, whores around with no desire to have children
Mother = Dany - is Infertile
Warrior - Jamie - known for his cowards act of Kingslaying - is missing a hand
Maid - Brieanne - is considered ugly and constantly made fun of about being a maiden when she wants to be a knight - Margery, married 3 times so far
Smith - Gendry - Duh - carries a hammer
Crone - is a woman, known for wisdom and carrying a light
Stranger - Arya

Arkeband

Banned
Or maybe the Crone will be Melisandre. People are speculating she might die/be dying with the whole Jon situation and her being so old, and I'm not dismissing the idea, but she could just as well survive somehow, forever lamenting how wrong she's been all this time.

So :
- Dany would be the Mother despite being sterile - or Cersei even though her children are pretty much all dead and she attempted to mercy kill one of them
- Sansa would be the maid despite being raped countless time by Wonderboy Ramsay; if not her, Brienne
- Jaime would be the Father, or the Warrior
- Arya would be the Stranger, obviously
- Jon would be the Warrior (TPTWP/AA, yadda yadda yadda), or Brienne
- The Smith would be... I dunno, Brienne? Eh.
- Either Cersei or Mel would be the Crone... Unless the show DOES bring Lady Stoneheart in the end lol

Of all those, I'm thinking some of them might die, to be honest, namely Mel (see above), Brienne and/or maybe Cersei.

Other people I'm definitely expecting to stay alive in some way until at least the beginning of the last season are Theon and Bran. Bran is basically an immortal tree anyway, and the show will probably go the same way.

And Benjen Stark lol.

You're missing Gendry as the Smith, he's currently in the Hyperbolic Time Rowboat, increasing his power level out at sea.

bengraven

I wonder if my recent "Lyanna was dying from a battle wound" theory will be proven correct by the vision of the Tower of Joy. Maybe not just yet - I doubt we'll see the whole thing, but it would be interesting.

Sean C

Keep in mind this is a 100% crazy theory mostly because I was bored
As a teenager Rahella Targarean had two close friends and handmaidens. One was from dorne and was Rahella's best friend. The other was Joanna Lannister. The theory is that Joanna and Rahella looked extremely similar so they swapped lives. Joanna was ambitious married Aryes because she wanted to be queen. and Rahella married Tywin Lannister out of love.

There is a fair amount of evidence to support this theory.
1. A lack of information describing Joanna or Rahella physically despite GRRM detailing thousands of insignificant and far removed characters. I mean we know more about hot pie at this point.
2. Tywin Lannister a cruel man obsessed with family Honor and legacy supposedly married beneath himself for Love. This is the guy that slept with his son's lover just because he hated him. And most interactions don't place him as a loving man.
3. Historically the Lannisters have had a poor relationship with Dorne, yet Tywin was planning on marrying both Jamie and Cersi to Dorneish nobility, as organised by his wife. He quickly reneged on this after her death
That's completely preposterous.

Father = Davos - all his sons died in the battle of Blackwater
Not true in the books -- Davos' three youngest sons are still alive. In the show he had only one, who died.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You're missing Gendry as the Smith, he's currently in the Hyperbolic Time Rowboat, increasing his power level out at sea.

Lol completely forgot about him. I keep expecting him to either die or be already dead for some reason.

Not true in the books -- Davos' three youngest sons are still alive. In the show he had only one, who died.

Which reminds me: I'm gonna be so pissed if Davos dies. He's the Onion King to me.

Kozak

Banned
Gonna be one heck of a party when hes brought back.

The casting shots of him look like the lands between castle black and winterfell so he bloody well come back to life or ill be heartbroken and decieved.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The casting shots of him look like the lands between castle black and winterfell so he bloody well come back to life or ill be heartbroken and decieved.

Speaking of locations, is it me or is the place where Jorah and Daario find Daenerys's jewelry the same exact place where Ned beheads the Castle Black deserter at the very beginning of the show, back in E01S01? From memory the two locations look awfully similar to me.

NeoGiff

Speaking of locations, is it me or is the place where Jorah and Daario find Daenerys's jewelry the same exact place where Ned beheads the Castle Black deserter at the very beginning of the show, back in E01S01? From memory the two locations look awfully similar to me.

I'm not sure, but two locations that always looked identical to me were the field where Jaime made the decision to return to Harrenhal, and the field where Osha gave her monologue about her dead partner. From memory, both scenes could even have been in the same episode.

I assume

I disagree. I
think Ramsay gets shot down, and ends up sending whatever the show version of the Pink Letter is, demanding his bride and Reek back.
Further casting/filming spoilers/rumors:
ESPECIALLY if he tells "Jon" or whoever the recipient of the letter ends up being, that he has Rickon. That'll really kickstart Jon/Sansa/Davos vs. the Boltons.

Also, I really kind of have to hand it to D+D, after YEARS of being 100% rock solid sure that Jon is coming back, speaking for myself, I'm amazed at how unsure the show is making me.

Iksenpets

Banned
I disagree. I
think Ramsay gets shot down, and ends up sending whatever the show version of the Pink Letter is, demanding his bride and Reek back.
Further casting/filming spoilers/rumors:
ESPECIALLY if he tells "Jon" or whoever the recipient of the letter ends up being, that he has Rickon. That'll really kickstart Jon/Sansa/Davos vs. the Boltons.

Also, I really kind of have to hand it to D+D, after YEARS of being 100% rock solid sure that Jon is coming back, speaking for myself, I'm amazed at how unsure the show is making me.

I don't think we can get the show's version of the letter until Ramsay has Rickon, which doesn't look like it'll be til Umber shows up in episode 3. What we do have in this scene, according to the new screens from Watchers, is Karstark, so I wonder if they'll adapt a bit of the book plot about the Karstarks posing as allies to act as Bolton spies. Maybe Karstark goes to Castle Black posing as a Stark ally to try and get in and abduct Sansa without any need for battle. If I recall, the casting call for him described him as a sort of schemer, so I could see something like that.

I assume

I thought:
It's where they assume Sansa has gone to.

Brakke

Banned
I'm kind of surprised y'all are putting stock in this Magnificent Seven idea. To me it always felt like the power was with the Old Gods, not the New. I dunno, I always got the sense that the Seven were bullshit. None of the magic we've seen so far, in both sources, can be attributed to the Seven.

Geist-

Overall I thought it was a good episode, but goddamn they really ruined Dorne in the show. Like, everything I liked about it, destroyed, irrecoverable, and replaced with characters that I just can't stand.

At least Daenerys is out of Meereen now.

LOL. No shit, I always thought he'd come back at some point.

Anyways your ending reminds me of
The Hatefull 8

Speevy

Banned
I haven't kept up enough,
where is the Ramsey getting his hands on Rickon theory coming from?

Super spoiler 360

Ramsay's heard in the trailer saying "Do you like games little man?" plus more than one extra has said Ramsay shoots down Rickon with an arrow before the battle of the bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom