• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
this episode was so much better than the first episode it's ridiculous

lack of shitty dorne and dothraki scenes will do that
If only the show never introduced Dorne in the first place.

Watched it, I enjoyed it, the disparity in quality is jarring! A shame that Roose died.

That's all I was thinking when the episode finished.

God, Dorne sucks. This episode should have been the opening of the season, not that mess.

Kain

It's a pity Roose is dead, like Ramsay he is a total different beast from the source material but unlike his son he is cool both in the books and in the show. Show Roose is sort of a Tywin 2.0 instead of the creepy vampire we know and love, but I liked him.

And the reign of terror of Invincible Joffrey continues. Only when faced against mr Jon plot armor Snow will he perish. Ramsay doesn't deserve to be killed epicly by Jon, he deserves to be castrated and fed to the dogs. I hope D&D got creative with his eventual death.

It kind of bothered me that all of these important people just walk around without body guards.

To be fair, Ramsay is Roose's son, so in a normal world he should be safe around him.

KahooTs

Thought Bran would resurrect him in the books and just to be different and not spoil it Melisandre will resurrect him in the show. After watching that I don't think Mel had anything to do with it and that it might be left ambiguous.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the episode was solid but

Too much Ramsay. We get it. He's evil. He likes to kill people and do other bad things. They've been heavily foreshadowing Roose's death for a while now, so that was necessary to see, but the stuff with Walda and the baby was just ridiculously over the top and the scene dragged on and on. It would have been more effective to have just cut away after Ramsay told the Maester to fetch him Walda and the baby. We would have known what fate awaited them, and it would have maybe allowed for more time to be spent with one of the other characters (like Arya, whose storyline thus far has felt a little sparse).

Jon's resurrection was anti-climactic as hell. You don't string the audience along for an entire year and then choose to revive him like that. "Hey could you revive Jon?" "Probably, yeah." "Okay." "Hold on. It didn't work. Oh wait it actually did. Neat." C'mon.

Sheroking

It's a pity Roose is dead, like Ramsay he is a total different beast from the source material but unlike his son he is cool both in the books and in the show. Show Roose is sort of a Tywin 2.0 instead of the creepy vampire we know and love, but I liked him.

And the reign of terror of Invincible Joffrey continues. Only when faced against mr Jon plot armor Snow will he perish. Ramsay doesn't deserve to be killed epicly by Jon, he deserves to be castrated and fed to the dogs. I hope D&D got creative with his eventual death.

Well, when you build a villain up, you do it so your S tier hero can beat him.

I don't think an unceremonious death will have the same impact with HBO audiences as Longclaw slicing his head off.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just felt like Jon's resurrection wasn't really earned in the show however. Like it just felt like Davos had some meta-knowledge he shouldn't have had. I mean, why with this one death is Davos all hung up about not accepting that Jon is dead and trying to get Mel to resurrect him? Why now and not Stannis? Felt like some sort of lazy writing there but that's kind of been the case with a lot of the plot movements this season.

Agree. To all of this. Did Davos travel with Melisandre to meet with Thoros of Myr? And if not, did Melisandre talk to him about what she saw when she was with the Brotherhood Without Banners? Otherwise, why would he even think to ask if Jon could be revived?

KahooTs

Lady Stoneheart was a cool horror movie addition to the story. Not sure where it's leading if it's anything important.

She's an extreme supernatural representation of what happens when the smallfolk lose faith in the king's justice and where the path of vengeance leads.

She exists so Brienne can experience having her sworn oaths pitted against one and other as Jaime did with Aerys.

She exists so Goldenhand the Just can see first hand what happens when the crown fails in its duty to deliver justice to the realm.

And she exists to show Arya where her path of anger and single minded vengeance leads. Somewhere very dark without love or happiness.

Stoneheart will do something over the top like order the execution of Elmar, Edmure's child or bride or Jeyne. And Arya will destroy her, symbolically rejecting her crusade of vengeance. Then Jaime will eventually set the Riverlands right, like Dayne did. And Brienne the oath-breaker will have to get off her high-horse.

To be fair, Ramsay is Roose's son, so in a normal world he should be safe around him.
I agree, the show doesn't need a second Joffery, not to mention OG Joffery is a more effective villain (in the sense that we don't have to be constantly reminded by the show that he's evil).

I would have liked to see Dorne storyline getting cut back, and make room for Roose/Ramsay relationship arc during the upcoming crisis.

Kain

She's an extreme supernatural representation of what happens when the smallfolk lose faith in the king's justice and where the path of vengeance leads.

She exists so Brienne can experience having her sworn oaths pitted against one and other as Jaime did with Aerys.

She exists so Goldenhand the Just can see first hand what happens when the crown fails in its duty to deliver justice to the realm.

And she exists to show Arya where her path of anger and single minded vengeance leads. Somewhere very dark without love or happiness.

Stoneheart will do something over the top like order the execution of Elmar, Edmure's child or bride or Jeyne. And Arya will destroy her, symbolically rejecting her crusade of vengeance. Then Jaime will eventually set the Riverlands right, like Dayne did. And Brienne the oath-breaker will have to get off her high-horse.

Yep, Brienne needs some humbling.

I'm not talking about show Brienne the teleporting justice warrior with business everywhere btw. I really don't care what happens to her, she is so boring.

SteveWD40

Umber:

I could have lived with the betrayal easier if they had heard Jon Snow was fighting with Wildlings and stuggled hard with the decision, but to smugly ride up to Ramsay and just hand him over after all this time? Why? Plus he has him until episode 9, which is not a good sign...

Out 1

Too much Ramsay. We get it. He's evil. He likes to kill people and do other bad things. They've been heavily foreshadowing Roose's death for a while now, so that was necessary to see, but the stuff with Walda and the baby was just ridiculously over the top and the scene dragged on and on. It would have been more effective to have just cut away after Ramsay told the Maester to fetch him Walda and the baby. We would have known what fate awaited them, and it would have maybe allowed for more time to be spent with one of the other characters (like Arya, whose storyline thus far has felt a little sparse).

This. The actor does a great job, but I still don't get the writers' fascination with Ramsay. The show would be better with Roose as the primary villain in the North.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Pilou Asbæk as Euron. Not following any GoT news or watching any trailers paid off.

KahooTs

I don't know what's worse, when they write their own dialogue or they try and push book dialogue into conversations where it just doesn't work like with Euron/Balon. Overall the approach of this episode is the right one, they don't do character arcs or dialogue very well, so just go full steam action. Finish it in a flurry of action and CGI.

Umber:

I could have lived with the betrayal easier if they had heard Jon Snow was fighting with Wildlings and stuggled hard with the decision, but to smugly ride up to Ramsay and just hand him over after all this time? Why? Plus he has him until episode 9, which is not a good sign...

There is a theory of a fake Rickon too.

Neifirst

I thought the episode was solid but

It struck me that the murders of Roose & Walda/baby were the first times where Ramsay was obviously not taking fiendish pleasure in his actions. Plenty of parallels to the actions of Theon a couple of seasons ago where he knew he had gone too far, but it also was too late to back out. I think Ramsay's demise may come halfway through the season rather than the end.

Kozak

Banned
Edd is a fucken gangster.

My new fave.

Theon redemption was beautiful man. Its so good to see the character come full circle like that.

Wonder what will happen to him when he gets back.

Anyone else surprised that Bran is leaving the cave? I just assumed he'd stay there forever, take over Bloodraven's place on the werewood throne. I'm really curious to see where he goes.

I imagine he'll dick around for the whole season, achieve absolutely nothing and then end the season right back where he started in the cave, maybe becoming a tree.

Otherwise known as Jaime going to Dorne.

Yeah it's funny how Balon's death literally had no weight to it in this episode because it was so isolated from everything and we barely know those characters at this point.

The first thing that was completely faithful to the books in ages.

Kazooie

Banned
Child of the forest to Meera:

"he won't stay here forever".

I'm not kidding but I choked up a bit when Lyanna galloped in.

I'm a dude but I got wet when Tormund Giantsbane cut down that grunt and stared down those archers. What a bad ass.

Nodnol

Solid episode. If last week set the scene and positioned the balls ready to roll, then this week kicked them down the hill.

This week was very much about a change in leadership, rebalancing the status quo.

Honestly, everything was just solid. Nothing grated, nothing made my eyes roll.

I had hoped Wun Wun would step on Olly, or Tormund would have taken his head, but I do wonder whether or not we will get a big battle there or not. Knowing Jon, free from the Black, he will release Thorne and the other traitors in a move to leave Castle Black occupied, only for Thorne to retaliate. Queue big fight, and a dead Thorne (and Olly).

Next week is going to be good. I do wonder though, if the audience learn of Jon's parentage, then how will Jon? Either way, Jon's return is going to be awesome. Can you imagine Thorne's face?

One problem though; the rest of the kingdom knows Jon as Lord Commander. As of yet, they don't know he's "dead". Other than those at Castle Black, everyone else is going to assume Jon is a traitor and a deserter. What are people going to believe, that Jon Snow died, freed himself from the Watch, and then returned, or that he simply abandoned his post? Unless, of course, those that call for his head are too far south and preoccupied, the North has a bit of a power shifting, and someone sympathetic to him doesn't execute him for leaving. Will the rest of Westros simply never know that Jon Snow died?

Kain

One problem though; the rest of the kingdom knows Jon as Lord Commander. As of yet, they don't know he's "dead". Other than those at Castle Black, everyone else is going to assume Jon is a traitor and a deserter. What are people going to believe, that Jon Snow died, freed himself from the Watch, and then returned, or that he simply abandoned his post? Unless, of course, those that call for his head are too far south and preoccupied, the North has a bit of a power shifting, and someone sympathetic to him doesn't execute him for leaving. Will the rest of Westros simply never know that Jon Snow died?

Nobody but Stannis cared about the Wall so nobody will give a fuck.

bitbydeath

Nah, the real problem with the last episode was that it was basically a catchup of everything that occurred at the end of the last season.

Qurupeke

Why is Ollie still alive? And why this shitty kid keeps getting more evil? In the end he will be the Night's King right hand man.

mfiuza

In my opinion, it would be extremely more fun if Melisandre decided to make a ritual just like the one she did with Stannis daughter. And they choose Thorne to be sacrificed

CloudWolf

Much better than the last episode, though I did feel that Jon's resurrection was a bit a bit anticlimactic and that Walda & little kid Bolton's death was way over the top. Ramsay is evil, we get it, you don't have to show him feeding a newborn baby to his hounds.

I find it interesting that the show straight up showed Euron murdering Balon. But we all know subtlety isn't the show's strong suit, so it doesn't annoy me that much.

bitbydeath

Euron is basically a historically accurate Jack Sparrow. He's a charming rogue who loves to party, but is also a serial rapist who's murdered hundreds of people and enjoys watching others suffer. After killing a Reachman lord and making a "salt wife" out of his bastard daughter, he forces the lord's widow and legitimate daughters to strip naked and serve wine to his men.

That's nothing compared to Ramsey.

He has his wife Jeyne Poole raped by his dogs.

Eidan

Much better than the last episode, though I did feel that Jon's resurrection was a bit a bit anticlimactic and that Walda & little kid Bolton's death was way over the top. Ramsay is evil, we get it, you don't have to show him feeding a newborn baby to his hounds.

I find it interesting that the show straight up showed Euron murdering Balon. But we all know subtlety isn't the show's strong suit, so it doesn't annoy me that much.

In this very thread we have people whining about the Karstark not explicitly stating why he supports Ramsay, even though his motivations are made obvious before Roose is killed, and others actually not thinking it was clear that he was in on it. I don't think subtlety is the show's problem.

CloudWolf

I already see people discussing the fact that bringing people back to life is stupid because 'why not bring everybody back to life?' in the show only thread. This is why omitting Lady Stoneheart was a mistake. That storyline shows perfectly why you can't just bring everybody back to life without consequence.

bitbydeath

I already see people discussing the fact that bringing people back to life is stupid because 'why not bring everybody back to life?' This is why omitting Lady Stoneheart was a mistake. That storyline shows perfectly why you can't just bring everybody back to life.

She'll be in the next episode. 'Oathbreaker'

Eidan

I already see people discussing the fact that bringing people back to life is stupid because 'why not bring everybody back to life?' in the show only thread. This is why omitting Lady Stoneheart was a mistake. That storyline shows perfectly why you can't just bring everybody back to life without consequence.
I think you'd get that with or without Stoneheart honestly.

Ramsay has become too one-note and predictable for his cruelty to shock me at this point. I was just sort of like "okay, guess that happened" when he stabbed Roose, and figured he'd brutally murder Walda and his brother before he even called for them. D&D have REALLY overplayed their hand with his character, who was already in grimdark for-the-evuls territory in the books to begin with.

After the stupidity with Sansa last arc, I;ve run out of energy to be mad about it. I'm just gonna wait for Sansa or Jon to have him killed so they can't waste any more screen time on him.

Moff

I think it would have been better if they just skipped euron and balon would have gone off to marry dany

also: since they renamed the seastone chair I wonder if they will rename the tower of joy to the tower of pain or something like that

and I wonder if there is already a cradle next to lyanna that says "Jon" on it

Violet_0

Banned
fucking Ramsey. Way to predictable. Roose was a much better character, yet he's too stupid to guess that Ramsey was obviously going to try to kill him

fuck Jon Snow, too. Absolutely everyone knew this would happen

D&D are unbelievable hacks jesuschrist. There is zero chance any of this shit happens in the books.

I bet at least half of that stuff happens in the next book. GRRM isn't immune to hackiness either
D&D know where this is going as well they just don't take their sweet time getting there(something that makes season 5 and the last 2 episodes feel a bit rushed but then again they may slow down again as we get closer to the end.

I don't know what's worse, when they write their own dialogue or they try and push book dialogue into conversations where it just doesn't work like with Euron/Balon. Overall the approach of this episode is the right one, they don't do character arcs or dialogue very well, so just go full steam action. Finish it in a flurry of action and CGI.

They've had plenty of great show-only dialogue. Cersei/Robert being the highlight, of course. But wasn't Oberyn's talk with Tyrion before agreeing to be his champion mostly or entirely new as well? And personally I even liked the Jamie/Tyrion talk that everyone else hated.

fucking Ramsey. Way to predictable. Roose was a much better character, yet he's too stupid to guess that Ramsey was obviously going to try to kill him

fuck Jon Snow, too. Absolutely everyone knew this would happen
Would you have preferred Jon be dead? Don't understand the anger. How about a camel comes flying from the sky to kill the nk? Unpredictable

Too many anti-climatic deaths this season. I think they're going for shock value, but that just doesn't work as well six seasons in. We know all their tricks.

Svafnir

I hope lady Stoneheart never comes. It seems too late anyway, I'm fine with jon being the one big resurrection.

I also still hope he ends up on the throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom