• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Ser Barriston. The man who killed the monster with two heads in single combat. Scaled the walls and saved a king James Bond style. Could have slew Ser Duncan the Tall and Arthur Dayne at the same time. Died to gutter rats.

The show does not give a shit about the books.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Ser Barriston. The man who killed the monster with two heads in single combat. Scaled the walls and saved a king James Bond style. Could have slew Ser Duncan the Tall and Arthur Dayne at the same time. Died to gutter rats.

The show does not give a shit about the books.

Isn't he like 65 years old? While it would have been cool to see him go down in single combat to a worthy adversary, I don't have a problem with the way the show handled his death. His character arc was pretty much finished before the books began.

Forget Dunk and Egg, I'd rather see a Barristan focused mini-series.

Reviews:
- Onion A|V Club review
- Warming Glow on tonight's episode
- Washington Post review
- Rolling Stone review
- Sepinwall's review
- Salon review
- NY Mag review
- Atlantic panel discussion on Ep 2
- WiCnet's review
- WiCnet's 'Thematic Analysis'
- Watchers' Review

Videos:
- EW: Game of Thrones: Kit Harington breaks his silence -- Exclusive
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Inside the Episode

Other stuff:
- IGN: GRRM's Thoughts on Resurrection
- Watchers' Podcast on last night's episode
- EW not wasting any time getting the word out:

1JCQjSQ.jpg

mantidor

I really hope Ramsay suffers some consequences for his actions, but I'm doubtful, see him gathering all the North behind him somehow even after killing Roose and losing Sansa.

Also, the dragons bit bother me, the whole point was that these are brute beasts, I mean they roasted little girls, but now they give Tyrion a pass because of some sappy childhood story? it makes no sense.

bengraven

I really hope Ramsay suffers some consequences for his actions, but I'm doubtful, see him gathering all the North behind him somehow even after killing Roose and losing Sansa.

Also, the dragons bit bother me, the whole point was that these are brute beasts, I mean they roasted little girls, but now they give Tyrion a pass because of some sappy childhood story? it makes no sense.

If I remember, only Drogon killed a human on his own free will.

The other two only killed when Dany called out "dracarys".

Man, I wonder what kind of NDA the EW staff was under.

Given that cover, I feel like there's not going to be a lot of question of if it's *really* him, and if he's all that damaged.

Especially since they're straight up apologizing for lying, no equivocating with "well he WAS really dead, etc".

Barzul

Heard some people say Jon have been revived as his body was being burned, I agree, would have made for a more epic scene. Just glad I got confirmation he's not dead though. Hated reading that scene in ADWD.

I'm wondering if Victarion is going to be in the show or if he's going to be merged with Euron. I really enjoyed his chapters in the books.

Why does Davos care so much about Jon? Why does he care so much whether he is dead or not that he would swallow his pride and ask the red woman for help?

I think he trying to save Jon makes sense, they are desperate but I see your point. I was smiling during the whole scene thinking that Davos is really Jon's fanboys inside the show. lol

Iksenpets

Banned
Was that really Damphair? I remember them making the point in S2 that the random Drowned God priest wasn't Aeron.

I don't know if they'll ever name this guy, just because it may confuse viewers to have another Greyjoy, but he's pretty clearly playing a direct analog to Ol' Dampy.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I wonder if there will be any more POV chapters as Jon in the books, or will all of his actions be represented secondarily ala Robb.

CloudWolf

- EW not wasting any time getting the word out:

How is killing Jon and bringing him back 'a secret two-year plan'? I mean, the book where his death happens is more than two years old and everybody and his mum could guess that GRR Martin plans on bringing him back. It's not D&D's idea.

Moff

How is killing Jon and bringing him back 'a secret two-year plan'? I mean, the book where his death happens is more than two years old and everybody and his mum could guess that GRR Martin plans on bringing him back. It's not D&D's idea.

just remember, without the show, this would not be on the cover of EW. so the show is all they care about

Nodnol

Very interested into finding out how Jon changes through his resurrection. I can't see LSH levels of change, and I can't imagine it will have the same toll on him as it did Beric, through his repeated returns. I'd imagine it'll be a haunting experience. Jon's likely purpose, whether that be the mythical Azor Ahai, or simply the bastion of hope, doesn't need Jon as himself. It just needs a symbol. I'd hope there's some humanity there though.

This is where I'd imagine the books and show will differ; I can see book Jon being a bit more broken, but show Jon needs to be the flagship.

Fuck yeah, fantastic episode. I expected Roose to bite it sometime during the season, but didn't expect Ramsay to just act on it right away. Having the dogs rip apart his wife and newborn son was just brutal.

Euron finally showing up to send Balon back to Storm of Swords, where he belongs. Was that Drowned Priest supposed to be Damphair, or just another random priest wandering the isles?

Tyrion with the dragons was tense. We all knew he wasn't going to die, but they still managed to make it slightly terrifying.

Speaking of slightly terrifying, they'd better do something with Robert Strong besides having him wander the streets of King's Landing to dole out petty justice. If we don't get Cleganebowl, we riot.

Happy to finally see the resurrection happen. The King in the North arises.

Reading through imdb, it seems like that drowned priest is officially Aeron (dunno how accurate their cast listings are). As far as Victarion goes, he was shown in the S1 Greyjoy family tree but removed from all family trees going forward. Bummer.

BUT when Tyrion was talking to Theon he mentioned his uncles burning the fleet at Lannisport. There is still hope for Victarion unless Damphair did some reaving in his youth.

lowered-expectations-madtv-350.jpg

So, this episode was... pretty good? I'm as shocked as anyone. I actually enjoyed it, and not ironically like I did last episode. I think part of it might be the above image, but outside of Ramsey being the villain sue to end all villain sues, I liked most of the scenes. The Bran stuff was a lot of fun, the Sansa scene was pretty good. The wall, was alright. And Jaime wasn't horrible either. Cersei ruling should be fun too.

Are there issues? Totally. But it was actually executed well enough that they didn't bother me. And that has been rare since Season 5. But the Ramsey stuff really is just awful.

Henkka

Banned
Another major player in Westeros murdered by a bastard with onlookers being totally cool with it.

What a joke. How the fuck did Ramsay convince Karstark that killing Roose is a good idea? Nothing makes sense, the showrunners don't give a shit, and therefore I don't give a shit.

HvySky

Max von Sydow definitely wasn't the Three Eyed Raven last season, right? The entire time I was watching the Bran scenes, all I could think of was The Force Awakens.

Ratrat

Pretty sure its a joke... got me for a second. But I really hate the Yara name.
Another major player in Westeros murdered by a bastard with onlookers being totally cool with it.

What a joke. How the fuck did Ramsay convince Karstark that killing Roose is a good idea? Nothing makes sense, the showrunners don't give a shit, and therefore I don't give a shit.
I was more surprised he got away with feeding Walder Freys daughter and Rooses heir to dogs out in the open like that. It was pretty needlessly extravagant even for him.

Nodnol

Karstarks still hold a grudge. Not hard to see, when Roose preaches caution, that they'd be willing to support Ramsey if it meant revenge on the Starks.

Sayad

I'm almost disappointed that Mel didn't remove her robe, get on the table, and mount Jon's corpse to bring it back to life. All in all, it was a bit too subtle and restrained for Game of Thrones.
Her leaving naked after this thinking it didn't work will be far more "striking". :3

CloudWolf

just remember, without the show, this would not be on the cover of EW. so the show is all they care about

Yeah, I guess. It's just like that Dutch entertainment website that posted an article a week back about how the Game of Thrones writers love killing off main characters, without even mentioning George R.R. Martin anywhere in the article.

Preview spoiler wild theory
What if Ramsey has Manse??

Mance is dead in the show, in the books it's a possibility though.

Eidan

This show seems to really get under people's skin.

Why does Davos care so much about Jon? Why does he care so much whether he is dead or not that he would swallow his pride and ask the red woman for help?

Worst part about the episode. He totally goes against everything his character believes for no reason at all just because the show needs someone to do this. So sloppy.

Fairly decent episode but gutted that Jon wasn't resurrected in the flames. Would have been cool to see them burn him but he just walks out with his sword on fire ala "Light bringer" restoring Mels faith in the prophecy. Can be later revealed that he just didn't burn because he has Targ blood in the Tower of Joy episode if his parentage turns out to be true.

I was also on edge with Tyrion, kept telling myself he can't die but then in the back of my mind remembering what happened in the books to the last guy who got cocky around dragons made it a bit tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom