• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

kubus

Question about the pre-order DLC: does it contain any clues or totems, and is it true that the butterfly effect "Whose Side Are You On" unlocks in this DLC?

In my playthrough that's the only butterfly that's still greyed out and I didn't have the DLC. Maybe I missed it because of some choices I made but I want to be sure. It should be early on in the game so it lines up.

Would be sick if you can't 100% the game without the DLC.

def sim

I'm digging what little of it I've played, apart from some performance and control issues. I'm going to try to play every character to their personality stats and see where that takes me.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, the gameplay police are having meltdowns on Twitter because the game is getting good reviews. That should keep me entertained until I get back home.

Miracle

The game looks very interesting and it's great to hear the positive reviews for it.

In a matter of a few days, I went from zero interest, to somewhat intrigued after seeing the latest trailer, and now to really interested after seeing a little more from Twitch and the positive reception.

Replicant

Okay, I guess we're doing this now.

2:45am. Maybe I'll do my friend's trick and open the back door to the house and leave it open, thereby maximizing the tension of the experience. (I know someone who has actually done this when playing scary games alone at night).

tumblr_nqtaw6O8lD1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

2:45am. Maybe I'll do my friend's trick and open the back door to the house and leave it open, thereby maximizing the tension of the experience. (I know someone who has actually done this when playing scary games alone at night).

1066.gif

Why would you do this? Only bad things can come from doing something like that.

OwlyKnees

How viable is the game for two people to split the characters? Heard of a few people playing this way and it sounds like fun. I'm curious if each character receives a equal or decent length of playtime. Anyone know? Feel free to spoilertag your answer for others.

AllenShrz

The audio is weird.

I hear the music fine but the voices muffled.

And Im using a Shure 468 with silver cable, it doesn't matter if it comes from the controller, AMP or Tv.

Haven't tired the HT since I'm sure will wake up the neighbors.

Carcetti

How viable is the game for two people to split the characters? Heard of a few people playing this way and it sounds like fun. I'm curious if each character receives a equal or decent length of playtime. Anyone know? Feel free to spoilertag your answer for others.

The character distribution is like this. Trying to be vague.

There's couple of 'main characters' from the plot point of view and the playtime is not evenly distributed. A few of them receive only very little playtime.

Edit: Suggesting a pretty non-spoilery way of splitting characters:

Split the characters so that one plays the men and other plays the women. There are survival trophies for getting all the men or all the women to the end alive, and the split should work pretty well to ensure well shared playtime.

Catdaddy

May a family of skunks join you on your adventure.
Seriously, why??

Riptwo

The audio is weird.

And Im using a Shure 468 with silver cable, it doesn't matter if it comes from the controller, AMP or Tv.

I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, so I thought it was just me! Let me know if you start getting crackling audio in a later chapter.

GavinUK86

The audio is weird.

Yeah, the sound quality isn't great. It's all a bit muffled through my speakers, nothing's clear.

Anyone know where the preorder DLC factors into the game?

OwlyKnees

The character distribution is like this. Trying to be vague.

There's couple of 'main characters' from the plot point of view and the playtime is not evenly distributed. A few of them receive only very little playtime.

Edit: Suggesting a pretty non-spoilery way of splitting characters:

Split the characters so that one plays the men and other plays the women. There are survival trophies for getting all the men or all the women to the end alive, and the split should work pretty well to ensure well shared playtime.

Fantastic! Your suggestion sounds great, I'll make sure to do it that way.

Thanks for the information!

I've actually done this, once.

Keep in mind, I was 13, it was Resident Evil 2, I was home alone, and I lived in Chicago.

At one point, a stray cat tried to walk in. It was incredibly uncommon since I lived in a generally upscale neighborhood and all of the pets were indoors and never strayed, so it walked onto my porch and started purring which grabbed my attention...and made me jump sky high.

Since it was night time, I just kind of grabbed an umbrella that was resting by the door and tapped the ground around him and he shot off into the street across from me. I slammed that door shut and never did that shit again.

I know it might be anti-climactic but my point is simply to say, know where you live. If there's any potential real risks, don't do it. It's a really dumb idea.

Majanew

Banned
Rented this morning from Redbox. Played the first part over and over to see if there were different outcomes... nope. I hope it's just the beginning that's like that.

Shame about the frame-rate.

GavinUK86

Rented this morning from Redbox. Played the first part over and over to see if there were different outcomes... nope. I hope it's just the beginning that's like that.

Yeah it's just the beginning.
Those two dying
is just the set up for the entire game. Frame rate is definitely spotty, it feels like Killzone Shadow Fall before they patched in a 30fps lock.

Dinjooh

For the longest time I've hoped for better shadows in games. But in these dark basements they're fucking with me, urgh!

kubus

It doesn't work like that. The game is all about the "butterfly effect" (which you can check your progress of in the menu). The small, seemingly unimportant choices you're making now can - and will - come back to bite you in the ass many chapters later.

edit: Oooor you mean the prologue, which yeah. Is just there to set up the story :p.

Santar

Been playing the game for a bit and gotta say the facial animation is pretty bad 90% of the time. sometimes when the faces are still they kinda look good, but usually as soon as they start to talk or move it all falls apart.
There's also a weird disconnect between the voices and the way the characters move in general.

Kinsei

Banned

It's not like the game tries to hide it. At the beginning of chapter 1
the game tells you (the player) that nothing you chose could have prevented them from dying.

Dinjooh

Been playing the game for a bit and gotta say the facial animation is pretty bad 90% of the time. sometimes when the faces are still they kinda look good, but usually as soon as they start to talk or move it all falls apart.

For me it looks like the animation just keeps going at times when it should've stopped.

I'm getting used to it though, after an hour or so I don't mind it at all.

I couldn't do that after having someone in my house, while I was in the house, a couple weeks ago. I'm paranoid enough as it is.

Santar

For me it looks like the animation just keeps going at times when it should've stopped.

I'm getting used to it though, after an hour or so I don't mind it at all.

Really? I think most of their expressions and movement just look unnatural and weird, it's like the characters look real 10% of the time.

GravyButt

Yup im ready to shit my pants. Love horror movies and haunted houses but for some reason horror video games always scare the bajeavus out of me! Yeeehaw!

Santar

Not a fan of the totem hints, I don't want any hints about what I should do, it undermines the supposed openness of the game.
Same about the notification that the "action you just did affected the storyline" I prefer not to know that sort of thing as I prefer the illusion that everything I do impacts what's happening.

Loudninja

Watch the new launch trailer above, which is currently airing on TV in Europe, to get a sense of the horror that awaits you, as you alone determine the fate of your friends. The decisions you make during your journey – no matter how big or small – could have life or death consequences.
We’ve also been working on a custom audio mode for Until Dawn, tuned specifically for PlayStation headsets, which you can download starting today via the Headset Companion App. So get ready, turn the lights off, turn on your PS4 and see if you can survive… Until Dawn.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/25/until-dawn-out-today-new-trailer-custom-audio-mode/

Until Dawn - Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcF7EOnjow

UberTag

I turned on two streams last night at literally the worst second. Saw two big spoilers immediately. Never again.
This should go without saying but... "don't watch streams of this title until you're done your first playthrough".
Like you can probably scope out PewDiePie's Let's Play for the first couple installments but apart from that... well, you're only asking to be spoiled.

nikos

None of my closest redbox locations have it yet. Going to check the app until I get home in a few hours. If they still don't have it, I'll buy it as always intended.

Top Bottom