• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Ugh one more hour before I can pick this up.
I may go crazy and murder some college kids in the woods if time doesn't go faster!
/s

Is the DLC necessary or does it have nothing to do with the story at hand?

Trying to figure out if it's been carved out of the main narrative or what.

All advertising says it takes place at a different time than the plot, so I think the later.
I think it is a epilogue elaborating more between character connections.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm starting to regret my decision to only play this at night.

It was just some character development. I think it was cut out of the main game as I had no idea it was the DLC until after I had played through it.

So I've got a question. From what I've seen of this, in the majority of the chapters at least, it seems like you can't actually kill many (any?) of the cast until late in the game? Is this the case or have I just been watching a Let's Play with a very good player who managed to keep people alive?

GavinUK86

It was just some character development. I think it was cut out of the main game as I had no idea it was the DLC until after I had played through it.

What bit is the DLC? I couldn't fire it out. Is it anything to do with Matt?

So I've got a question. From what I've seen of this, in the majority of the chapters at least, it seems like you can't actually kill many (any?) of the cast until late in the game? Is this the case or have I just been watching a Let's Play with a very good player who managed to keep people alive?

You can kill 1 or 2 earlier in the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My first big scare in the game. Putting it in my PS4 and the disk not being read. Restarting fixed it but that was a terrifying moment.

kanuuna

Watching the Lirik stream, holy crap the mocap and character model on that
Stranger character
. If Uncharted could look that good.

Corpekata

Banned
That doesn't sound right.

It is though. There's a reason the tutorials for things like right analog to control the camera play during that and the first chapter, it's for people who don't have the DLC.

Either that or the game thinks people need 2 tutorials on movement and camera control within 20 minutes. Which would be hilarious.

Corpekata

Banned
Maybe it is. I figured the weird tutorial repetition meant it was DLC, but I guess they just think players are dumb as shit or something.

kubus

Relax people, the prologue is not the dlc. The dlc is a little bit of extra character building with Matt and Emily in the beginning of the game. You wouldn't notice it's DLC because it's part of the main game so it fully blends into the rest of the chapter.

wait, I thought the dlc was
when Matt and Emily have to go back for the luggage they left
^ it's this

Anyone on the fence for the 59.99 price tag: if you live near a red box kiosk the game is featured -quick search showed 8 within 3 miles of me that have the game.

Relax people, the prologue is not the dlc. The dlc is a little bit of extra character building with Matt and Emily in the beginning of the game. You wouldn't notice it's DLC because it's part of the main game so it fully blends into the rest of the chapter.

^ it's this

Yep it does include two new clues thougj but are not required to get the trophy. I know cause I had them all before I used my code for it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is though. There's a reason the tutorials for things like right analog to control the camera play during that and the first chapter, it's for people who don't have the DLC.

Either that or the game thinks people need 2 tutorials on movement and camera control within 20 minutes. Which would be hilarious.

Given how the story plays out that makes no sense. Double tutorials makes more sense than
referencing an event in the main game that only occurs during the pre-order chapter.

The pre-order bonus is definitely between Matt & Emily and is not the
deer attack
, it is most likely
a five minute jaunt that Matt & Emily take to retrieve her bag; there are zero story advancements in this section other than interpersonal bullshit
. Given that these two are the worst in the game, you aren't missing much.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is anyone else trying for all kills on their first run? Cause I know I'll lose people the first try, or does it take just as much effort to kill them all as saving them all?

Anung

Un Rama
My copy got dispatched this morning so I should have it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to playing it :D Should I wait for night time for optimum horror or is it worth playing ASAP?

maxiell

Really impressed by the motion capture here. Performances are great across the board. Art direction is off the charts. There is some frame judder but it's not that big a deal and the framerate itself is so much better than any other game of its type - as it should be given the power of the PS4. The game feels very polished and it's obvious a lot of love and care went into this project.

My only demerit would be that I expected a bit more in terms of the relationships between the characters, but I guess they were limited by the basic concept.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Facial animation on The Analyst is amazing.
It almost looks like they used the tech for facial animation from LA Noire, but I don't think they will ever use something that cost-inefficient again. Guess it's just really good face mocap.

Corpekata

Banned
Facial animation on The Analyst is amazing.

I dunno, I feel like it's over the top. There's something off about all of the faces. It's better than the average game but they seem to be over exerting their faces or something.

Or maybe it's just Peter Stormare, who is not a particularly subtle actor.

I dont understand the "Dont move" indicators. I placed the controller down on a table and it still failed

People have advised you to reset your controller, but obviously once everything is working for you, you have to have the controller still before you place it down. That movement would fail the "Don't Move" scenario.

Should I play with motion controls or standard controls? How does stuff like the mechanic where you hold the controller stick work with regular?

Maybe it vibrates your controller to make sure you aren't cheating by doing what you did.

The "Don't Move" scenarios are the same for both control schemes. The only difference is with the motion controls, your decisions such as run or hide are made by moving the controller left or right instead of moving the right stick left or right.

Someone I know already hinted at what I could've done.
Matt. He can keep the flare gun somehow which helps later.
I had someone else possibly die but I'm not sure. I'll find out on my own though.

This game loves walking. Can't say I really dislike it that much because the atmosphere is amazing.

If you want to know the other scenarios for this, let me know.

Can you have more than one save file? Asking for the wife so she can play while I'm at work.

Nope, only one. If you are going for all the collectibles and have most of them after your first playthrough, you should back your save up and reload it to do Episode select after you're done playing for different death scenarios because if you start a new game it wipes all your collectibles.

First two chapters are pretty slow so far, but the tension is great. Do things pick up soon?

It ebbs and flows but every Episode from here on out has action at some point.

Is this $60 on the US store?

$59.99 (lol).

Are we really supposed to be able to save everyone?

SPOILER

I had a choice to save Ashley or Josh with the saw thing. Ended up killing Josh, but I guess I should have waited and done nothing?

Yes :)

I've got a question to those who have finished the game: How scary is it?

I stay far away from horror movies and anything borderline scary because there are other ways to get my adrenaline rush, but I really enjoyed Heavy Rain (not Beyond though, fuck that game) and every review seems to be comparing this to Heavy Rain. Can I stomach it?

I hate the horror genre and I loved the game so you should be able to stomach it. Just hide your eyes at certain parts like I did.

People who have finished, I have a question (which I'll spoiler) that I'd love answered. Nothing plot-related, but pertinent to my purchase.

Is there sex, if so, how R-rated is it? I ask because my daughters are big horror fans, but still get totally squicked out by sex.

There's none.

Got my copy! But EB Games didn't give me the DLC Bonus Chapter :(

Can I get it on PSN?

Also, the inside case is blank. Not even an ad for another game.

I miss manuals.

It's not available on PSN right now, and I know, that was funny to see.

There is no way that The Killer:

Isn't Josh and Hannah working together. Has to be. That's my theory given how The Killer has a lot of the weird inflections that Rami Malek also has in all of his roles. Also Hannah because she wasn't the one to break her back on the rocks.

Want some info on this theory?

If I go to pick this up at Target today, will I still be able to get the Bonus DLC Chapter?

You might. Best Buy usually gives out preorder codes on release date.

I played without it and felt like I didn't connect to Matt and Emily as much early on in the game because of it. They get more screen time later on, but I would recommend playing it if you can.

My first big scare in the game. Putting it in my PS4 and the disk not being read. Restarting fixed it but that was a terrifying moment.

Haha well played!

For the preorder dlc, is it the part where
you are taking bags up to the cabin, then she tells Matt to go up because she has to go back talk to someone?
If that was it...I paid my friend 3 dollars for his code and I feel like he robbed me

Edit: oh, I just looked around more and I dont think that was it...thank God

The DLC is
the prequel chapter about Josh's twin sisters.

That doesn't sound right.

Wait, seriously?
Them falling down the cliff and dying, after the prank?

edit: after a bit more googling I think it's the scene where
Matt and Emily get attacked by the deer
. Judging by the images here http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/05/26/until-dawn-release-date-confirmed-new-trailer-debuts/.

To confirm, the DLC is the section where Matt and Emily retrieve her bag.

Yep it does include two new clues thougj but are not required to get the trophy. I know cause I had them all before I used my code for it.

Can you PM me an image/description of the clues? I don't have my game anymore and am curious to read them.

Is anyone else trying for all kills on their first run? Cause I know I'll lose people the first try, or does it take just as much effort to kill them all as saving them all?

It definitely takes some effort to kill them, and I'll say no more.

My copy got dispatched this morning so I should have it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to playing it :D Should I wait for night time for optimum horror or is it worth playing ASAP?

Play ASAP, it's still plenty scary during the day.

Any way to get the preorder extras post launch?

You could try going to Best Buy and see if they still have codes in their system. They'll email you one or it'll print on the receipt, and then you can just return the game.

It almost looks like they used the tech for facial animation from LA Noire, but I don't think they will ever use something that cost-inefficient again. Guess it's just really good face mocap.

There's 9 behind-the-scenes videos and one of them shows the systems they used. It's really cool.

So.... when do you get the episode menu unlock? After completing the game?

You should be able to replay any previously completed Episode, but I never tried that until I was done with the game.

How many playthroughs minimum for the Plat, anyone looked into it?

Two full (all live/all die) plus Episode select at the end of the game for one particular death trophy. Collectibles need to be earned in one sitting or via Episode select. If you choose a New game, they're wiped.

DrkSage

Saw a PDPs let's play of until dawn. I made up my mind. Gonna pick it up on Friday when I get my paycheck. Game looked soooooo gooood.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game is quite meta:

Josh stops taking his meds. Bad shit happens. Elliot (Mr. Robot) stops taking his meds. bad shit happens.

Holy crossover Batman.

Does this game have Stream Participation? or is there a plan for it to have stream participation?

I totally thought that was going to be in the game after the PSX demo last year, but was surprised to hear nothing of it recently.

ep4 spoilers...is it possible to save
Jessica? After she died, it showed a little clip of a choice I made earlier, was that a mistake I made?

MrMuscle

PSN wouldnt let me pre-order this. I tried several times and each time i got a mail claiming payment failure. Even though i bought a couple of other games afterwards that went smoothly. I even tried removing and re-entering my paypal info. I have the account set to automatically add funds to my wallet on pre-orders as well.

The fourth time it let me download it and i thought it was ok. But when midnight hit it was still locked and it sent me to the store to re-buy it. But, seeing as only the pre-order is there you cant actually buy it anymore.

Weird stuff. But i guess in the future ill go to my account and add funds to my wallet manualy before pre-ordering anything.

4EqbBrY.jpg
Finally! Today was terrible!

Top Bottom