• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Just finished. An incredible thriller. I couldn't put it down and I would strongly recommend playing it in one sitting if you can.

Borrows from the best of summer horror flicks while doing enough to stand out on its own. The performances are universally very good to great. An interesting and diverse cast of characters and I felt differently about each one at the end than I did when first meeting them.

I think this blends what Quantic Dream and Telltale are trying to do and takes the best parts of both and refines them. This is the closest a game has come to 'playing a movie' and I mean that as a big compliment. It's the only one of these types of games to really nail that feeling.

It keeps the QTE interactions to a minimum and I was never annoyed or bothered by them like I usually am. The 'Don't Move' mechanic is brilliant.

All the consequences I had in my playthrough felt earned and not cheap. Most of them were unforeseen but not unavoidable or ridiculous. Whether the game just hides it well or not, all my decisions come back in some meaningful way it seemed.

I almost never want to play a game of this type more than once but I can't wait to dive in to multiple playthroughs because I suspect they will be very rewarding and interesting.

If people are on the fence I hope they give this a shot because I predict it will surprise many of you. I also want either Supermassive or another studio to be able to create a game of this type with the same scale and scope.

Renting it does SuperMassive no favors... If you want to continue seeing this type of game, you need to support it directly.

Agreed but I'd rather have someone play it and tell their friends about it, thus having the potential for word-of-mouth sales, than not play it at all.

In terms of rentals, I would assume/hope that Redbox and GameFly report stats to Sony/Supermassive so they can see how the game is doing, and maybe that factors into Sony's decision to greenlight a sequel or provide a bonus. I'm sure there's some data being exchanged.

This game is Canadian as fuck.

Please clarify? I didn't see a single bottle of maple syrup in all my playthroughs.

Pilgrimzero

Agreed but I'd rather have someone play it and tell their friends about it, thus having the potential for word-of-mouth sales, than not play it at all.

In terms of rentals, I would assume/hope that Redbox and GameFly report stats to Sony/Supermassive so they can see how the game is doing, and maybe that factors into Sony's decision to greenlight a sequel or provide a bonus. I'm sure there's some data being exchanged.

Please clarify? I didn't see a single bottle of maple syrup in all my playthroughs.

They all play hockey mid way through then go eat at Tim Hortons.

Kinsei

Banned
This game is Canadian as fuck.

I don't really get that feeling. The game is set in Canada, and these are meant to be Canadian kids, but they don't feel Canadian. What Canadian would refer to the First Nations as Native Americans?

Se_7_eN

Is it worth full price in terms of trophies and replayability? Extremely tempted.

Definitely, trophies are easy to get, but will require multiple play throughs... That's ok though because the replayability is some of the highest I have seen.

Is it worth full price in terms of trophies and replayability? Extremely tempted.
I think it's one of (if not) the most re-playable games of its type.

'Value' is super subjective though.

I also am more than happy to support a developer in full for making a game like this in 2015. There's a lot of behind the scenes footage of the development process and the cast on the disc as well.
I'm hopeful for a sequel for this game ..we need more of this folks
I'd like a sequel in type, not in story. Although those end credits are pretty intense. (Hayden Panettiere gives probably her best performance in anything during them)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This game wasn't even on my radar, but after reading Sterling's review and seeing the gb quicklook, I'm extremely interested in getting this!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't really get that feeling. The game is set in Canada, and these are meant to be Canadian kids, but they don't feel Canadian. What Canadian would refer to the First Nations as Native Americans?

Other than the setting and what I'm sure were a few nods I can't recall the entire horror:

Is based on a creature that mostly is associated with Canada.

Also, there is a bronze trophy that at the moment is Very Rare:

Less than 1/10 thought Em was worth letting stay. . .or people just haven't gotten that far.

Just played around 2 hours.

Good god is this game scary, Metro is full of it.
The psychologist parts are interesting. Nothing gruesome yet...

Don't have a PS4 so watched the complete walkthrough on YT, but man does it satisfy that Thriller itch! Game doesn't take long to ramp up the action and the plot twist is believable and really epitomizes that very definition of plot twist and really isn't what you expect it to be. The trailers do a good job at
diverting your expectations for what this game is about.
Overall, very well satisfied with experience and just disappointed that SCE didn't market this game as heavily as with their other 3rd party titles. Might fall off the radars of most folks as MGS V is due in a week.

Man, this year is really turning out to be quite competitive; not only are the industry heavy hitters delivering, but smaller titles like this game are also proving to be quite the value for your hard-earned $60. Gonna be interesting year for GOTY contenders for sure!

Super interested in this game! I love the tone they are going for with Until Dawn. Rather than shy away from tropes, they embrace them.

Question for those who have completed the game; Without spoilers, how is the story? I believe the IGN review stated that the last half doesn't fit well with the first half of the story. I'm curious to hear how people feel about this statement.

UberTag

Do you unlock a chapter select after finishing it?
Yes. But you'll need to start from the beginning to undo how your early game decisions steered your available options in later chapters. As the chapter select is effectively a do-over of those chapters with your earlier decisions locked in.

Super interested in this game! I love the tone they are going for with Until Dawn. Rather than shy away from tropes, they embrace them.

Question for those who have completed the game; Without spoilers, how is the story? I believe the IGN review stated that the last half doesn't fit well with the first half of the story. I'm curious to hear how people feel about this statement.

I loved it. Couldn't be happier with it. Almost done getting all trophies.

GavinUK86

Yes. But you'll need to start from the beginning to undo how your early game decisions steered your available options in later chapters. As the chapter select is effectively a do-over of those chapters with your earlier decisions locked in.

Can you use it to collect stuff you missed? Or does it wipe everything from whatever chapter you load onwards?

Raoh

F'n UPS. Said they made an attempt at 5pm. They ain't make an attempt, we have a part time doorman and a 24 hour Cyberdoorman service with a package room drop off.

I order from Amazon regularly and get everything on time. Except this, bet the driver was being lazy and didn't make a real attempt.

I am pissed. I usually order my games via gamestop and pick up in person but I fractured my ankle. After this I won't order games through Amazon.

Did I mention I am pissed?

antitrop

Picked up my pre-order at Gamestop, guy said I was lucky, since they sold out their regular inventory around lunch time.

Guess shipments were low because of low preorder numbers and the reviews swung people towards "BUY!".

Jigorath

Banned
Picked up my pre-order at Gamestop, guy said I was lucky, since they sold out their regular inventory around lunch time.

Guess shipments were low because of low preorder numbers and the reviews swung people towards "BUY!".

Someone needs to slap Sony upside the head for not giving this game a bigger push.

I'm pretty shocked with just how gorgeous this game is.... Damn, I pause it every time I meet someone
just to move their face around and stuff
in the pause menu...

I'm pretty shocked with just how gorgeous this game is.... Damn, I pause it every time I meet someone
in the pause menu...
Yeah, the graphics are amazing.
The SFX are also really good. Every jump scare got me. I need to limit myself to not have a heart attack.

Loudninja

Someone needs to slap Sony upside the head for not giving this game a bigger push.
I am not sure what else they could have done the game has tv ads ,online ads, lets plays, many trailers some which are quite good.

Its hard to judge these type of games.

nice to see the great reactions. I want to play it with friends as we drink and have a riot of a good time. I think that instead of having each person choose a character we might take a poll for each major decision and pass the controller around.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
in the pause menu...

Based on Shadowfall engine so is to be expected given how little there is going on in a scene.

Add that to the list of reasons to slap Sony upside the head. I'm losing track.
Tearaway Unfolded gets thrown to the wolves in a couple weeks.

They promoted it enough considering the type of game it is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just had my first death. Not even sure how I'd avoid it, which is pretty cool. Lots of factors influence everything. Loving it so far. Perfect atmosphere and the same sense of tension that Heavy Rain had.

Jobbs

Banned
Just started a couple of hours ago. All of my decisions are based around trying to stop anyone from getting laid.

BTW, regarding the intro portion...

When hanging off the cliff, I opted to drop rather than let my sister go. We took a rough fall and appear to be KIA. I was curious what happens if you take his hand? Anyone know?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Just had my first death. Not even sure how I'd avoid it, which is pretty cool. Lots of factors influence everything. Loving it so far. Perfect atmosphere and the same sense of tension that Heavy Rain had.

If it was:

Josh you -

cant

Top Bottom