• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Ughhhh I have $60 on PSN right now so it's either this or MGS. What to do??? Also I haven't finished Witcher yet but I need shiny new things

Someone needs to slap Sony upside the head for not giving this game a bigger push.

I don't know this is not the type of game I think that really is going to sell massive numbers no matter what they try, and it's going to be sorta niche with the subject matter and demo it will target. I really can't blame them for not pushing it, and even if they did, don't think it would have garnered a ton of love from the casual public.

I would hope that the reviews and hype generated now can make it a sleeper hit enough to beat expectations

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ughhhh I have $60 on PSN right now so it's either this or MGS. What to do??? Also I haven't finished Witcher yet but I need shiny new things

MGSV and rent this. 60 bucks is too much for this digitally. I would have preferred getting it on disc so I could trade it in but I was too impatient.

Leeness

Thanks, you as well!

Redownloading now--keep your fingers crossed for me... I mean, I don't see a timer, but that's because the download bar is there lol.

I'm hoping "repurchasing" on the web store without being able to delete the game and restore licenses beforehand didn't screw me.

Bladenic

Definitely want to play this when I get a PS4. Although I mainly want to play for Hayden but the reviews seem pretty good. I hope Hayden is awesome in this

AdaWong

Just started a couple of hours ago. All of my decisions are based around trying to stop anyone from getting laid.

BTW, regarding the intro portion...

When hanging off the cliff, I opted to drop rather than let my sister go. We took a rough fall and appear to be KIA. I was curious what happens if you take his hand? Anyone know?

The outcome never changes in the prologue. Beth and Hannah will always fall.

Shinjiru

I've only been able to play for about 10-15 minutes, but I'm very impressed with the graphics so far. I can't wait to play more.

so for those who have beaten it is this a good party game to play with friends? Impressions make it seem like there aren't many traditional gaming portions of walking around exploring rooms, but it'd be nice to know more concrete details.

carlsojo

I think this would be a good pairing with Witcher 3 since it's relatively short. Going from one massive game to another like MGSV (for me) burns me out really quick.

owlbeak

Super impressed with the short amount I have played so far (at the beginning of Chapter 2). Though I cannot believe they did not include an option for inverted vertical controls. As someone who grew up with their first games being flight sims, I've always played inverted vertical camera and controls and this is driving me nuts. Seems like such a basic feature these days...its absence is bizarre. Hopefully they patch it in. Not a deal breaker, but rather frustrating.

shit got cranked to 11 around episode 4-5 in my game
Jess got her jaw snapped off and fell to her death, and then I chose to save Ashley, so other dude got sliced in half. These happened within like 15 minutes of each other

KorrZ

Played a few hours up to I guess chapter 3? So far, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's definitely spooky, slightly too much of a reliance of jump scares so far but they've nailed the campy horror movie story line. The characters are all completely goofy in just the right way.

Excited to play some more tomorrow.

FatalT

Banned
Fuck this shitty ass game. Whoever thought the whole *DON'T MOVE* controller bullshit was a good idea can get fucked. I just beat the game but fuck that.

Fuck this shitty ass game. Whoever thought the whole *DON'T MOVE* controller bullshit was a good idea can get fucked. I just beat the game but fuck that.

Loved that. If your controller works right shouldn't be too big an issue. Some did have controller issues, maybe that was the problem

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ashley is so unhateable.

KorrZ

Is there some trick to them or something later? I've had 2 of them so far and it's pretty straight forward...just don't move lol.

Elfstruck

Erh, what? Thats one of the aspects that I love about this game. It makes me feel nervous and one wrong move can get me kill.

Redownloading now--keep your fingers crossed for me... I mean, I don't see a timer, but that's because the download bar is there lol.

I'm hoping "repurchasing" on the web store without being able to delete the game and restore licenses beforehand didn't screw me.
You should be good :)

sjay1994

I am watching the GT stream after seeing a seperate playthrough, and the cracks are starting to show.

Some of the big choices you make don't matter, and it will still result in the same outcome. The only thing that changes is relationships with characters.

I am watching the GT stream after seeing a seperate playthrough, and the cracks are starting to show.

Some of the big choices you make don't matter, and it will still result in the same outcome. The only thing that changes is relationships with characters.

The overall story stays but there is some very different things that can occur. I'm almost done with my third playthrough and have seen new outcomes everytime with various moments.

Endo Punk

its crazy to me how this game was even salvaged after originally being a move title and in development hell for so long. Mighty talented team.

Soooooooo it looks like I won't in fact play this tonight. I don't know how Walmart loses a box of games. Especially a box of madden. I shouldn't have put them in the box of madden.

Senoculum

Playing this game side by side with my girlfriend, and we're both enjoying it! The acting is great, and the graphics are fantastic. On chapter 3 I suppose.

But seriously..... I'm deeply disappointed in the lack of an "Invert Look" option; especially considering there are shooter elements (point and aim against a timer). Who the hell forgets to add that option in? It's 2 minutes of coding and adding it to the settings list.

The game also has too wide a spectrum in the audio, so you find yourself putting up the volume during the dialogue yet setting it low during the screaming and loud music. It's like a poorly mixed Netflix movie; and for people like me who respect my condo neighbours, I hate having to struggle to listen to the dialogue (and yeah, I've set music and SFX to something low in-game, but the screaming is part of the "dialogue" section, so it doesn't help).

And also.... Why on Earth, when I'm prompted to shove a large object, am I to push the right analog stick? Seems counter-intuitive to switch the roles of the move and look sticks for oddly placed encounters; not to mention the visual glitch when you push the look stick - making the camera go haywire - before it snaps back to following the character.

Game is great so far, but I'm shaking my head at the simplest of technical oversights.

sjay1994

The overall story stays but there is some very different things that can occur. I'm almost done with my third playthrough and have seen new outcomes everytime with various moments.

The moments I am talking about are

Matt telling Emily that he wants to come with her to meet Samantha. She just complains, and then the events play out like you agreed to let her go

Choosing to "kill" Ash instead of Josh. It still kills Josh, which I understand is needed for the Pyscho arc. I am guessing its just going to be used as butterfly effect so Chris is killed by the Windigo because Ash won't open the door

Telling Emily you don't want to go to the radio tower. She complains that you are a coward, but you still go to the tower

I am guessing these are major events, but giving a choice that doesn't seem to matter is hurting my impression of the game as a whole. Its still great during the first run

Loudninja

its crazy to me how this game was even salvaged after originally being a move title and in development hell for so long. Mighty talented team.
I dont think it was in development hell.

Just sounds like they did alot of work in making it for PS4.
Supermassive Games and Sony have been working on the game for a long time, enlisting the seasoned horror filmmakers to concoct a story with a lot of branching storylines. Until Dawn was originally scheduled to be released on the PlayStation 3 with PlayStation Move motion controls. But the game was redone for the PlayStation 4 and the Dual Shock 4 controller, which also has motion-sensing capabilities. The new game has episodes that are akin to TV show segments. Between the two different games that were created, there are 10,000 pages of dialogue. There were so many branching stories that each story becomes like a main story unto its own, said Graham Reznick, co-writer of the game, in an interview with GamesBeat.

“We decided to rewrite everything,” said Reznick, regarding the switch from the PS3 to the PS4. “The PS4 had more facial animation and that meant that the actors could be much more nuanced and tell the story through a more cinematic dialog language.”
http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/24/u...d-riveting-interactive-horror-movie/view-all/

Playing this game side by side with my girlfriend, and we're both enjoying it! The acting is great, and the graphics are fantastic. On chapter 3 I suppose.

But seriously..... I'm deeply disappointed in the lack of an "Invert Look" option; especially considering there are shooter elements (point and aim against a timer). Who the hell forgets to add that option in? It's 2 minutes of coding and adding it to the settings list.

The game also has too wide a spectrum in the audio, so you find yourself putting up the volume during the dialogue yet setting it low during the screaming and loud music. It's like a poorly mixed Netflix movie; and for people like me who respect my condo neighbours, I hate having to struggle to listen to the dialogue (and yeah, I've set music and SFX to something low in-game, but the screaming is part of the "dialogue" section, so it doesn't help).

And also.... Why on Earth, when I'm prompted to shove a large object, am I to push the right analog stick? Seems counter-intuitive to switch the roles of the move and look sticks for oddly placed encounters; not to mention the visual glitch when you push the look stick - making the camera go haywire - before it snaps back to following the character.

Game is great so far, but I'm shaking my head at the simplest of technical oversights.

The time it would take to code and bug-test the inverted controls is greater than the amount of time you spend shooting things. It's not worth it.

I didn't heve any audio issues, this is surprising. It's come up a few times so it's not a glitch. But you should have subtitles on so you don't miss any dialogue.

R2 and the right stick are used for all interactions, even looking at collectibles. It may not be to your preference but it's consistent throughout the entire playthrough.

Rented this, and been playing it with a couple friends. The story is very tropey, and you can guess what's gonna happen next all the time.

Enjoying it cause the game is silly and I can't take any of it seriously. The pace at the start was getting us bored, but it picks up well after.

Audio and animations are kinda all over the place though. Audio has already been mentioned a lot, so I won't go into detail. The animations are great overall, but some appear to be sped up, or they're missing a lot of frames.

robot

So I got up to the 2nd analyst part where he asks you to point to the stuff that you honestly fear the most. My brother called while I was in the middle of it, I got distracted and wound up picking a few things that are really not scary to me at all - like crows and dogs.

Does this part have a major impact on the scares later on, to the point where I should start over quick? I wanna see some legit scary stuff, you know like clowns and cockroaches.

They deserve a pat on the back and an xtra week off without pay.

Ha!

The moments I am talking about are

Matt telling Emily that he wants to come with her to meet Samantha. She just complains, and then the events play out like you agreed to let her go

Choosing to "kill" Ash instead of Josh. It still kills Josh, which I understand is needed for the Pyscho arc. I am guessing its just going to be used as butterfly effect so Chris is killed by the Windigo because Ash won't open the door

Telling Emily you don't want to go to the radio tower. She complains that you are a coward, but you still go to the tower

I am guessing these are major events, but giving a choice that doesn't seem to matter is hurting my impression of the game as a whole. Its still great during the first run

All of these decisions have ramifications later on if you keep up with the decision path you made there. In order:

Even though you still end up taking Emily's bags by yourself, if you complain she mentions it later on in conversations, which will affect their feelings for each other. When you get to a certain scene later on, you can end up arguing about it to the point where it affects your ability to complete a task.

It's not this decision that makes Ashley not open the door, it's whoever Chris chooses to shoot. If you shoot yourself, Ashley remembers it and will open the door for you. But if you choose to save Josh, he'll remember it when he's tied up near the end of the game talking to Mike and Chris. He'll antagonize Mike, leading to a different set of dialogue and I believe, though can't confirm, that it's the reason Mike pulls a gun on Josh.

This last Emily scenario ties into the first one. If she's annoyed with you, her dialogue later on will be different

So I got up to the 2nd analyst part where he asks you to point to the stuff that you honestly fear the most. My brother called while I was in the middle of it, I got distracted and wound up picking a few things that are really not scary to me at all - like crows and dogs.

Does this part have a major impact on the scares later on, to the point where I should start over quick? I wanna see some legit scary stuff, you know like clowns and cockroaches.

Yes. Depending on what you fear, those things will
show up later in the game
lol.

GavinUK86

Kinda off topic but is anyone who's livestreamed this on Twitch been able to archive their broadcasts? I've tried on two accounts and neither work and looking at some other streamers right now I'm not seeing it in their past broadcasts lists either. I've never come across a game that stops archiving before.

Bowler

Well kick me in the balls and say digital is the way of the future because I got the game put it in the drive and it keeps coming up date corrupted.

fuck my life

Started it up this morning. Only somewhere around the 2nd chapter but it's incredibly interesting. I'm having a blast and can't wait to get back to it. It looks great and it feels just like you're controlling a horror movie.

I don't know what's planned for the game, but I would hope there's some sort of DLC coming on down the line.

Loving the game so far. Got to chapter 5, but sadly I just lost my first character. I had to
choose between Josh and Ashley and chose Ashley
. I can't figure out how to
save them both
. If anyone's done it I'd appreciate the tip for my next playthrough! :)

Replicant

Went to EB Games to pick up my preorder. All was fine except that the staff told me "Good thing you pre-ordered since we didn't get any copy otherwise."

Ha ha WTF Sony? How many copies did you allocate to each store? 0 to 5? And this is EB Games in city area.

Also do you guys self-insert your personality or let each character be their cliche selves?

Anyone else experiencing crashes in the game? It'll work for 5 minutes then crash. It's happened three times, and Ive tried restarting my console as well as reinstalling the game. Really bummed out :(

Top Bottom