• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Ray Down

Banned
You're in Chapter 4. Enjoy that "we saved somebody" euphoric high while it lasts.
It won't last long.

As long as its not Mike, Sam or Ashley I'll survive, I'm going to do my best to make sure they live.

Emily is the worse of the bunch, Matt and Chris I'm meh on and I just don't trust Josh

How are you supposed to exit the game? I played for 2 hours and then just closed the game via OS. There was no option to save and quit. When I reloaded, it said recovering partially installed data. Took a while, but finally restored my game. Now I'm afraid to close it again. Should I leave my PS4 suspended until I finish?

As long as its not Mike, Sam or Ashley I'll survive, I'm going to do my best to make sure they live.

Emily is the worse of the bunch, Matt and Chris I'm meh on and I just don't trust Josh

Heh.

How are you supposed to exit the game? I played for 2 hours and then just closed the game via OS. There was no option to save and quit. When I reloaded, it said recovering partially installed data. Took a while, but finally restored my game. Now I'm afraid to close it again. Should I leave my PS4 suspended until I finish?

I did, but I also didn't have this problem. There's no way to save so just press R1 to get to the menu and then quit from there.

Yep, who the worse girl, Emily or Jess?

So far Emily but I get the feeling the writers were going for that. Jess is obnoxious but is a bit more likable due to personality; basically if I were to choose who to hang out with for an afternoon it'd be Jess, but I'm willing to see if my expectations will be subverted.

drotahorror

still probably 1/3 or so in but
the person i thought who may have been behind some of this is now dead thanks to me
, pretty violently too.

I wonder if this game is being 'sent out to die' or not. I mean... it's fantastic, but I've not seen much marketing push...

Would be a shame. I can see this as a fantastic example of the future potential of game narrative.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I wonder if this game is being 'sent out to die' or not. I mean... it's fantastic, but I've not seen much marketing push...

Would be a shame. I can see this as a fantastic example of the future potential of game narrative.

It was marketed about as much as any other game of this type has been marketed.

It's actually a really good physical performance too. Some of the mocap in this is downright spooky at times, to the point that you feel like you're seeing the actual performance of someone versus the LA Noire thing with the faces being the only realistic part.

Seriously. There's a scene later in the game where
Hayden Panettiere
's character is wadding through freezing water, the first time she hops in she has a decent reaction to the cold - BUT subsequent times, her character grimaces and takes a second to brace herself before hopping in. And that's just one tiny example, the subtle reactions in these performances really bring the characters to life.

I'm extremely impressed with this game; the writing, performance capture, voice acting, camera work and overall visuals were fantastic. RAD and QD should be taking notes.

From GAF's surprising positive reactions, it seems like this game is well on its way to be a sleeper hit/cult favorite

Am I wrong to call it that folks? Or am I too early to call this game a good one at this stage?

I didn't even know I needed this game but I really fucking needed this game. I don't want to get over the top about it until I play more or finish it, but I swear to god it's giving me that feeling of playing something like the original Resident Evil or Silent Hill, where you're given this original story, setting, and characters with atmosphere that borderline suffocates you on top of unraveling a mystery that you know nothing about.

This is how it's done. I could go on about the facial expressions and the voice acting and many things, but it's the overall sensation of getting a new IP and being completely engrossed in everything about it to where you can't stop thinking about it. Sure the writing is your cliche teen slasher stuff but that's not the point. The point is rather how many games out there really capture something like this and deliver on the promise tenfold.

It's this sprawling and cinematic and just plain fun product. I don't even need it to be more than your typical slasher. The fact that I feel like I'm in direct control of a shitty slasher is like the coolest fucking thing, and I can't imagine what this team could potentially do with something like Silent Hill. That's all I've been thinking of while playing so far are those PS1 era new IP's that have gone on to becoming relatively famous franchises and that's why Until Dawn feels like a Sony exclusive through and through.

taco543

Just beat it for the first time, DEFINITELY playing it again,
I freaking hated Mike in the beginning and he ended being one of my favorite characters at the end.

All I can say is dat character development doe!

Amazing OT. Love the layout and particularly that gif at the end.

Not sure whether to pick up the game this weekend - it's my birthday and I have some spare cash, plus I'd quite like to support a horror new IP, but I've got a few other games to finish which I should deal with first and this does scream a price drop very soon.

Lingitiz

Game started a bit slow, but I see why. It sets up everything going to shit later on so well. This is extremely hard to put down! I really want to find out what the hell is going on here. Graphically this looks incredible. Faces look a bit unnatural at times but the animations are top-tier for the most part.

Assuming the rest of the game continues the upward trajectory, I hope this is a hit for Supermassive. They knew exactly what they were going for and seem to have nailed it.

BTW I absolutely love the behind the scenes extras! More games need these.

Amazing OT. Love the layout and particularly that gif at the end.

Not sure whether to pick up the game this weekend - it's my birthday and I have some spare cash, plus I'd quite like to support a horror new IP, but I've got a few other games to finish which I should deal with first and this does scream a price drop very soon.

Support this with all your might. I took a gamble and bought the digital preorder, and its now a decision that I am very confident in. The game is awesome. Don't wait for a price drop, it's definitely a better game than that.

I traded The Order and The Evil Within towards the purchase of this game, and for me, it outclasses those two so much, it's not even funny. I almost wish I didn't put those towards it cause its totally worth full price. I hope more people support this game. I've already convinced my friend to buy it.

Over-Run

So is it possible to have characters die near the start of the game? I remember in like Heavy Rain characters only started being able to die near the end of the game so there would be less branches I guess.

Like does each character only have like 1 possible death or is there multiple places they can die?

I traded The Order and The Evil Within towards the purchase of this game, and for me, it outclasses those two so much, it's not even funny. I almost wish I didn't put those towards it cause its totally worth full price. I hope more people support this game. I've already convinced my friend to buy it.
Kind of poetic that those are the two games you traded in for this one.
So is it possible to have characters die near the start of the game? I remember in like Heavy Rain characters only started being able to die near the end of the game so there would be less branches I guess.

Like does each character only have like 1 possible death or is there multiple places they can die?
There are multiple parts where they can die.

UberTag

There are 3 characters that have only one possible death... but most of the others have several.
Although they are weighted far more heavily towards the end of the game than the beginning.

Welp, even though I'm getting low on cash and Metal Gear Solid V is right around the corner, I'm going to buy this today and try to finish it as many times as possible before MGSV hits. You guys have convinced me. Oh, and GAF is bad for your wallet.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished my first playthrough. Ended up having 4 people survive. It would have been 6 but
the game showing me the scene of Jessica actually being alive made me go after the voice as Ashley even after reading about the Wendigo being able to mimc people, and I thought Mike would run with Sam at the end.

I have absolutely no clue
how to get Matt and Josh to survive.

AdaWong

Emily is trash. Anyone that puts Jessica below Emily needs to be admitted to the sanotarium on that mountain. <3

Teknoman

For those on the second play, is it natural to pick different choices, or does it feel like you're just being contrary when picking something else?

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm mid-C5 now, and the game has A LOT more exploration than I expected,
I finished the part where Mike meets the wolf

I also had one (possibly 2?) characters die, am I right in assuming that I could have saved one of them
in the butterfly effect screen it says Josh put the bat in the closet, but I don't remember finding any bat, so I'm assuming that I missed it and finding it was supposed to allow him to fight off the killer? I'm not sure if Jess died or not, she fell through the elevator, but the butterfly screen Says I successfully saved her?

Great game, but it has one major flaw, it encourages exploration, but most of the time I'm finding myself scared of exploring, I don't know which part will advance the story, potentially missing the other path. So I always go back and forth between the available paths.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm mid-C5 now, and the game has A LOT more exploration than I expected,
I finished the part where Mike meets the wolf

I also had one (possibly 2?) characters die, am I right in assuming that I could have saved one of them
in the butterfly effect screen it says Josh put the bat in the closet, but I don't remember finding any bat, so I'm assuming that I missed it and finding it was supposed to allow him to fight off the killer? I'm not sure if Jess died or not, she fell through the elevator, but the butterfly screen Says I successfully saved her?

Great game, but it has one major flaw, it encourages exploration, but most of the time I'm finding myself scared of exploring, I don't know which part will advance the story, potentially missing the other path. So I always go back and forth between the available paths.

Top looking at the butterfly effects. You'll end up spoiling yourself.

GSR

Played up to the start of chapter 3 with a friend. So far it's been an all-around great experience (and damn if some of the lodge camera angles don't look like a modern RE1), but the part that's easily the most unnerving so far is
Dr. Hill. I don't know if the game's going to pull a super-meta twist later or something, but he's certainly pushing the boundaries of the 'game'.

It's not really a flaw imo, I love it. It gives tension to the slow scenes and adds more meat to subsequent playthroughs.

It contributes to some of the RE comparisons; you won't get to see everything your first time through, so don't sweat it when you get locked into a path.

Alo0oy

Banned
Top looking at the butterfly effects. You'll end up spoiling yourself.

I'm assuming that I spoiled myself? Fuck!

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I have one question though, with episode select I get to keep the clues, but starting a new playthrough wipes them, right? But if I choose prologue from episode select, I can theoretically play the game from the start with all the clues, right?

Alo0oy

Banned
It's not really a flaw imo, I love it. It gives tension to the slow scenes and adds more meat to subsequent playthroughs.

It contributes to some of the RE comparisons; you won't get to see everything your first time through, so don't sweat it when you get locked into a path.

In RE (the original trilogy at least), you could go back to the start of the game from any time until you get to the end game/final area, so that's not a good comparison.

I don't think tension out of missing collectibles because you chose the wrong path is the right tension to give, the game should do a better job of telling you that you're about to advance the story so go explore some more.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can anyone confirm/provide impressions about the PlayStation Move controls?
There is no mention of its support in the PSN description, yet I've seen pictures of the back of the retail case that seems to confirm Move is supported.

Had some friends over and played this, such a fun experience. The first 2 hours were so slow but picks right up when people start dying. Great stuff.

GSR

In RE (the original trilogy at least), you could go back to the start of the game from any time until you get to the end game/final area, so that's not a good comparison.

I don't think tension out of missing collectibles because you chose the wrong path is the right tension to give, the game should do a better job of telling you that you're about to advance the story so go explore some more.

This is a good criticism, I think. Given the game seems to encourage you looking for clues/tokens, it's a bit disappointing to accidentally get yourself locked into progressing because you happened to examine the wrong object first.

sephi22

Is this thread safe for all spoilers?
I'm sitting on these end game spoilers and this theory about a secret ending is eating me up inside. People who've finished the game have probably thought about this too. If there's a spoiler thread I'd love to go into detail

Flipside

Got the game yesterday and I am really enjoying it so far. I did notice one pretty annoying thing though. The audio quality (especially of the voices) is pretty bad, as if the voices are coming out of a tin can. The overall production values seem pretty high so the bad audio quality is really a disconnect for me.

Did anyone else notice this? I can't change any setting for audio in the game and it can't really be my home cinema systems because every other game sounds fine.

Hanmik

with him onboard this game should sell well..

HUB3bry.png

https://twitter.com/pewdiepie/status/636141910919393280

Alo0oy

Banned
This is a good criticism, I think. Given the game seems to encourage you looking for clues/tokens, it's a bit disappointing to accidentally get yourself locked into progressing because you happened to examine the wrong object first.

Yeah, I hope Suppermassive are reading this thread, they are an incredibly promising studio right now imo, so I hope they improve things with their spiritual successor (no direct sequel please).

Top Bottom