• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I hope Suppermassive are reading this thread, they are an incredibly promising studio right now imo, so I hope they improve things with their spiritual successor (no direct sequel please).

Oh for sure. This needs to be an entire sub-genre of survival horror IMO. This game is fantastic.

I purchased a PS4 because of this game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I think I'm only 3 chapters in but this is pretty damn incredible and I'm taking my time and soaking it all in. It's wonderful and refreshing to see the story be the main feature of a game.

Is the score available to purchase anywhere? Also I got the pre-order bonus chapter, but how do I access it? It said it was downloaded, so is it already integrated into the game?

Kinsei

Banned
I purchased a PS4 because of this game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I think I'm only 3 chapters in but this is pretty damn incredible and I'm taking my time and soaking it all in. It's wonderful and refreshing to see the story be the main feature of a game.

Is the score available to purchase anywhere? Also I got the pre-order bonus chapter, but how do I access it? It said it was downloaded, so is it already integrated into the game?

Remember that scene in chapter 2 where
Emily and Matt went to get her bag? That was the DLC.

So is it possible to have characters die near the start of the game? I remember in like Heavy Rain characters only started being able to die near the end of the game so there would be less branches I guess.

Like does each character only have like 1 possible death or is there multiple places they can die?
Jess can die in Chapter 1 if you do not help her with Mike I think.
So yeah it can be pretty early.

Naar

in the settings menu it says i can use the playstation camera

what is it for? recording you being a sissy when something scares you ?:D

i might have a few friends come over in a couple of days and wanna know how to get the most out of this game

bombshell

in the settings menu it says i can use the playstation camera

what is it for? recording you being a sissy when something scares you ?:D

i might have a few friends come over in a couple of days and wanna know how to get the most out of this game

Yeah, it's recording you at select moments :)

Broadcasting the game to potentially 30 million viewers?

Shu should prepare to greenlight their next project, then.

While I think he's a great marketing device, him playing a game doesn't automatically guarantee massive sales - he did a video on Sunset Overdrive, for example, which has over 5 million views.

Kamina777

Banned
I don't like how the tutorial choices
don't change the outcome.
I would have preferred they just play an intro movie with that conclusion then give us control from there. Goes against the point of the game in my opinion.

schick85

I'm sorely disappointed by how this game turned out. It went from slasher hit to
Uncharted 1 derivative. What's with the super gimmicky Transformers-inspired action sequences I see in movies and videogames anyways? The zombie ninjas felt so out of place. I wish they stuck with something more "grounded."
Such wasted potential.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm sorely disappointed by how this game turned out. It went from slasher hit to
Uncharted 1 derivative. What's with the super gimmicky Transformers-inspired action sequences I see in movies and videogames anyways? The zombie ninjas felt so out of place. I wish they stuck with something more "grounded."
Such wasted potential.

Out of place? I thought the game set them up very well. I'm really glad they didn't reveal the twist pre-release.

bombshell

i assume i find the footage in the share library?

kinda sucks though as i prefer to play it in the dark and dont think footage will look good from the camera

I don't have the game yet, so someone else will have to answer if it's put in the capture gallery app or in-game.

schick85

Out of place? I thought the game set them up very well. I'm really glad they didn't reveal the twist pre-release.
The premise behind them I can live with. But the presentation was too hyperrealistic for my taste. With its realistic setting, I was expecting something akin to Scream, not Metal Gear Solid Twin Snake.

Alo0oy

Banned
While I think he's a great marketing device, him playing a game doesn't automatically guarantee massive sales - he did a video on Sunset Overdrive, for example, which has over 5 million views.

He doesn't guarantee success, but he increases the chances. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but playing a game on a console that nobody outside the US & UK owns isn't gonna make a big difference.

The games he plays that are on widely available platform see a spike in sales, sometimes years old games show up in the charts because he played them.

Elaniel

Neo Member
They don't just look 30. They are 30. Following in the footsteps of Ian Ziering.

Rami Malek (Josh) is 34.
Brett Dalton (Mike) is 32.
Noah Fleiss (Chris) is 31.

Isn't that part of the horror / teen stereotype on TV and in movies? People in their 30's playing teenagers.

Shinjica

The QTEs were fine, the don't move segments blow.

Yes. I sincerely hope they didn't make it so that it automatically triggers. Pissed me off.

My hope that is not a bug. In the Jiminquisiton review he say that was a motion control QTE who miss even if he didnt move. If you fail it, one character die so is pretty much important

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Isn't that part of the horror / teen stereotype on TV and in movies? People in their 30's playing teenagers.
Are they anywhere in the game referred to as teens or that they go to high school? Because they look like college age guys/girls. In Cabin in the woods for example, it was made clear that they are all from college.

carlsojo

Are they anywhere in the game referred to as teens or that they go to high school? Because they look like college age guys/girls. In Cabin in the woods for example, it was made clear that they are all from college.

I believe prom was last year for them, so they're seniors now or college freshies.

Elaniel

Neo Member

I think most of them are supposed to be 18-19. So technically teenagers. :)

In RE (the original trilogy at least), you could go back to the start of the game from any time until you get to the end game/final area, so that's not a good comparison.

I don't think tension out of missing collectibles because you chose the wrong path is the right tension to give, the game should do a better job of telling you that you're about to advance the story so go explore some more.

I never intended to imply it was a 1 for 1 comparison to RE, so that was a poor example on my part since it's a series structured around backtracking. But my point was that there are events in RE which you can completely miss depending on the order of locations which you visit, particularly in Nemesis. Which in-turn can effect the amount of content which you can access in a single playthrough depending on where you chose to go first.

The collectibles that you're missing in Until Dawn's case aren't always important, really they're mostly just for generating flavor and driving minor sub-plot revelations, so you're usually not missing anything too important if you progress without fully exploring an area. I'm coming from the position of being the kind of person who never takes the obvious path, so that I can hunt collectibles, but was so enamored by the story and presentation for this game that I just didn't care. I know where you're coming from and am willing to acknowledge that I'm guilty of that in other games, so I may just have a honeymoon bias atm. lol

I'm curious though, would you still view it as big a negative if the clues and totems were present but weren't tallied? Sort of like the clues/leads in Heavy Rain? :)

Also, the bigger flaw imo was the itemization of the "butterfly choices"; it'd spoil when something was important, the UI effect was distracting and the list being viewable before completing the first playthrough felt a bit like cheating to me. So tried my best to avoid anything in the menus, I wanted to feel things out organically like I would while watching a movie.

Yes. I sincerely hope they didn't make it so that it automatically triggers. Pissed me off.

I'm wondering if there's a calibration issue with some of the controllers or if it's a software issue. I didn't have a problem with it, but one of my friends did and I've noticed it's pretty spotty amongst some of the livestreamers that I've watched this morning too. It doesn't help that they made the window super tight, I know people like my dad would be screwed since his hands are kind of shaky when they're at rest.

Played about an hour last night. Really enjoying it and can't wait to play more after work! This will make the wait for MGSV much easier.

I think the reason why most characters look late 20's/early 30's is because it is embracing horror tropes of older people playing college age kids.

Kolgar

What a wonderful experience. The writing and acting are surprisingly great--I find myself laughing continually at the characters' banter.

My girlfriend and I are enjoying this one immensely. So far, it's easily the best of its kind, and I hope it finds the wide audience it deserves.

HiiiLife

Finished the game.

Since the gameplay is compared to them a lot, I'll just go ahead and say I enjoyed it more than Heavy Rain & Beyond.

Probably my favorite PS4 exclusive yet.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Do you think that this game has the potential to become cult in the future ?

Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnQmw9M-JA

HUB3bry.png

Alo0oy

Banned
I never intended to imply it was a 1 for 1 comparison to RE, so that was a poor example on my part since it's a series structured around backtracking. But my point was that there are events in RE which you can completely miss depending on the order of locations which you visit, particularly in Nemesis. Which in-turn can effect the amount of content which you can access in a single playthrough depending on where you chose to go first.

The collectibles that you're missing in Until Dawn's case aren't always important, really they're mostly just for generating flavor and driving minor sub-plot revelations, so you're usually not missing anything too important if you progress without fully exploring an area. I'm coming from the position of being the kind of person who never takes the obvious path, so that I can hunt collectibles, but was so enamored by the story and presentation for this game that I just didn't care. I know where you're coming from and am willing to acknowledge that I'm guilty of that in other games, so I may just have a honeymoon bias atm. lol

I'm curious though, would you still view it as big a negative if the clues and totems were present but weren't tallied? Sort of like the clues/leads in Heavy Rain? :)

Also, the bigger flaw imo was the itemization of the "butterfly choices"; it'd spoil when something was important, the UI effect was distracting and the list being viewable before completing the first playthrough felt a bit like cheating to me. So tried my best to avoid anything in the menus, I wanted to feel things out organically like I would while watching a movie.

I don't want to turn this into a RE thread, but in RE3, making choices only means which weapon/item you get early, you can still access the weapon from the other path later, and any "files" can be accessed later as well even if you made the choice of pursuing the other path. It's still possible to miss stuff, but it's not like Until Dawn where you only have the ability to find those clues in your lone visit to that area.

The Last of Us is a great example of a linear game that tells you you're about to advance without breaking the flow of the game or "tutorializing" it.

And yes, I think they would be important even if they weren't in a list, for two reasons:
- They're very important to the lore and backstory.
- They're needed in some cases to keep characters alive.

Corpekata

Banned
How do clues work in a second play? Do you have to collect them all again for characters to be affected by them? I've already missed a few so I'm not too worried this playthrough but will be kinda tedious collecting the ones I'd seen already in future playthroughs.

Reedirect

On Chapter 8 right now and it's amazing.

Only complaint I have so far, I wish everyone would walk a little faster. The L1 boost is barely noticeable and it gets pretty tedious in larger areas. It's tolerable now because I'm soaking up the atmosphere, but I can see it being a real pain on my second playthrough.

Azlan

I played the first 3 chapters last night am and really enjoying the game so far. The only thing bothering me is that I know I missed some clues earlier that I didn't grab before triggering an event. Already looking forward to my next playthrough.

I forgot to redeem my pre-order dlc and I think I'm already past that point in my current save. Is there any way to go back or will I have to save it for a second playthrough?

Gives me something extra to look forward to if it's the latter.

Blah, I got a good 24 hours or more with the house completely to myself with nothing else on my plate, so I was hoping to find this game at a redbox and play it today. Alas, i went to 6 different redboxs, and all of them were out of stock :(

Top Bottom