• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

GravyButt

Remember that scene in chapter 2 where
Emily and Matt went to get her bag? That was the DLC.
So they just left to
go get that bitches bag but instead of going to that it went the next scene where you have to go to the cabin with the next couple, even though it says my dlc is installed. Damnit does that mean I missed out on it?!?!
stupid dlc lying to me!

Loakum

Banned
I'm sooo playing this tonight...after I re-watch this movie!

xlgtACm.jpg

eXistor

Loving it so far. The characters are properly douchebaggy (that doesn't mean unlikeable btw), the atmosphere is spot-on and I love making choices all the time. I only played for 2 hours last night, but I'm already curious to see what other choices will do. I'm also full of questions and theories about the game, which I always like.

If it holds up for the entire game it might become my favorite interactive movie-game so far.

kubus

I'm pretty bored of "Twitch plays..." but I would be absolutely hooked to a Twitch plays Until Dawn. Someone please make it happen.

Edit: Oh wait the delay would kill it :(

Roubjon

Played through the entire game yesterday from a RedBox rental and wow it was so good. What a fantastic game, holy shit. Some of the best $2 I've ever spent for sure. I want to go back and replay it though as well though.

I ended up killing everyone except 2 people, so there's a lot I missed I figure. I did pretty awful.

I had no expectations and only really wanted to play this once the good reviews started coming in. I wasn't following it at all throughout it's development. What a great surprise

brau

Watched the first PewDiePie lets play, I'm so hyped to play this with my girlfriend. Finally a game we can enjoy together!

you won't regret it. my wife is not a gamer, doesn't care that much either for them. we played this for a good 3 hrs. she didn't want to stop lol.

i had a great time playing this with her.

Apt101

Great game, I finished it in a single sitting. My main take away: this game totally needed Regina Hall's character from Scary Movie. Would have been golden. Regina Hall DLC.

RE needs to take a page from this game. RE2 remake should use this camera style. Game is pretty cool so far.

For those who have finished multiple play throughs, is it just as interesting the second time around as it was the first? My concern is I'm going to play through the first time trying to save everyone (if that's even possible) and in doing so there's not going to be much incentive to sit through a lot of the same story, picking up the same clues, ect.

RE needs to take a page from this game. RE2 remake should use this camera style. Game is pretty cool so far.

For those who have finished multiple play throughs, is it just as interesting the second time around as it was the first? My concern is I'm going to play through the first time trying to save everyone (if that's even possible) and in doing so there's not going to be much incentive to sit through a lot of the same story, picking up the same clues, ect.

Yes, while the main story beats hit, different deaths, dialog, etc happen. After a second play, skip around via episodes to grab trophies.

Velkyn

Just finished Chapter 6, staying up WAY too late in the process. Spoilers up to Ch.6

Fuck everything about that "ghost" section. If I had a camera, you'd see me covering my eyes at every scare in that section

Non-spoilery question though: Does the game actually hold up to multiple playthroughs? I can't wait to finish it and play again, but I'm concerned the game will pull a Telltale on me and I'll see behind the curtain, so to speak.

Edit: Whoops, someone asked what I wanted to ask while I was posting.

Since I botched up the first run (missed collectables and killed one character), I may go on a death route first because it will probably be more interesting than running it after saving everyone.

Sanador

Blah, I got a good 24 hours or more with the house completely to myself with nothing else on my plate, so I was hoping to find this game at a redbox and play it today. Alas, i went to 6 different redboxs, and all of them were out of stock :(

I got lucky and found it. Played a couple hours last night and really enjoyed it. The acting and graphics are really top notch. The entire presentation shows a lot of creative thought. It just sucks that I have to work today.

Ahh ok, I didn't know I could skip around to different episodes, that is good to hear. Thanks.

Yeah for example. Depending in what happens in chapter 9 I think it was, if you don't do something, it lead to another character getting to explore a little bit of area then never got to before and of course a totally new fucking jump scare to fuck with me. Damn it lol hahaha

Velkyn

Since I botched up the first run (missed collectables and killed one character), I may go on a death route first because it will probably be more interesting than running it after saving everyone.

You think that's botching up? Haven't finished yet, but as of Chapter 6 I've already lost
Josh, Jess, Emily, Matt, Chris,
. I haven't been actively trying to kill anyone off, just sucking at horror movie tropes apparently.

Marvel

could never
I've only lightly skimmed over the thread to avoid spoiling myself a little but from what I've seen and heard I should be buying this yeah? I loved Heavy Rain.

To those who have completed it or have nearly done so, worth full price?

Zemm

I really enjoyed this. If you like Heavy Rain and/or trashy 80s horror movies, try it out.

If you didn't enjoy heavy rain you should pick it up anyway.

I really enjoyed this game, a very solid 8/10. I want to replay it now to see other choices.

Also I'm surprised which characters I ended up liking by the end, the character development is very good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not done yet but I can't get this game out of my head. It has the same unique interaction and tension of Heavy Rain and the story and presentation are perfect for a slasher setting. This is far, far better than I ever could have expected. Well done, Supermassive.

Blah, I got a good 24 hours or more with the house completely to myself with nothing else on my plate, so I was hoping to find this game at a redbox and play it today. Alas, i went to 6 different redboxs, and all of them were out of stock :(

The most recent PS4 game at my local Redbox would be... Assassin's Creed: Unity.

If I'm lucky I might be able to rent this by next summer. :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, how's the performance? When I saw this last year it was running very very poorly. For a cinematic game, that's kind of distracting. Did they at least manage a fairly steady 30fps?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So, how's the performance? When I saw this last year it was running very very poorly. For a cinematic game, that's kind of distracting. Did they at least manage a fairly steady 30fps?
It's uncapped. Two places popped up to 60 for me but mostly I'd say it sits right around 30. Only noticed two very brief drops below 30.

Leeness

So they just left to
go get that bitches bag but instead of going to that it went the next scene where you have to go to the cabin with the next couple, even though it says my dlc is installed. Damnit does that mean I missed out on it?!?!
stupid dlc lying to me!

Hm, mine jumped from the first scene to the second as well, maybe it shows up a little later? I stopped playing there for the night...guess I'll see.

Hope I didn't miss out on it though, even if inconsequential. :(

I think that is the point. I've never seen a likeable character in slasher movies.

In most cases you're right, but also depends what we are counting as slasher movies. I don't usually count the original Psycho as a slasher but that has some likable characters. Also I'd consider Jamie Lee Curtis's character in Halloween quite likable. Maybe Sidney from Scream and Nancy from The Nightmare on Elmstreet. Those are some that came to mind. But yeah there aren't that many.

I'm still quite early in Until Dawn, but really enjoying it so far. Especially that moody atmosphere.

Velkyn

I've only lightly skimmed over the thread to avoid spoiling myself a little but from what I've seen and heard I should be buying this yeah? I loved Heavy Rain.

To those who have completed it or have nearly done so, worth full price?

Most definitely worth full price for me as a big Quantic Dream fan. Going back to Beyond or Heavy Rain would be way too hard after playing this. I feel like it's the new gold standard for this genre. I hope David Cage plays this.

AllenShrz

Liking this game a lot but there are 2 things that are rubbing me the wrong way.

The audio is definitely messed up. After hours of trying with my shure 846, with silver cable and portable AMP, connected to the controller or TV AND trying with my enthusiast HT, the voices most of the time sound muffled. I can adjust the HT to make them sound better but if I do the rest of the audio gets mixed up.

The second are the don't move sections, I don't fucking move at all and yet I fail. Im not sure if it is because I have a PS camera and Im close to the TV and becomes super sensitive.

The unlocked framerate is kind of hurting my enjoyment of this game. Really needs a 30FPS cap.

Yeah, definitely. Killzone Shadow Fall was a much better game once they implemented the 30 lock.
I don't understand this at all - why would someone want a lower average framerate? Vsync is enabled so tearing isn't an issue when the framerate fluctuates. It literally has no bearing on the gameplay of this game whatsoever. It could have been locked 24fps for full movie immersion and it still wouldn't have any repercussions on the gameplay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's uncapped. Two places popped up to 60 for me but mostly I'd say it sits right around 30. Only noticed two very brief drops below 30.
Uncapped? Seriously? That's fucking disappointing. Why would they do that?

I don't understand this at all - why would someone want a lower average framerate? Vsync is enabled so tearing isn't an issue when the framerate fluctuates. It literally has no bearing on the gameplay of this game whatsoever. It could have been locked 24fps for full movie immersion and it still wouldn't have any repercussions on the gameplay.
Judder and uneven frame distribution. At 30 FPS every frame is duplicated one time. At 35 or 40 FPS you get a mix of single and duplicate frames that appears very uneven.

I had one ending last night, and it was really god damn good.
Contender for GotY imo.
Chapter 4-10 was such a great ride.
1-3 were so sloooooowwww. My fiancee almost gave up on the game because of the slowness and because of Em and Jess.
Em and Jess are the most annoying characters I have ever known in a video game, because they are the typical rich teenage girl.
"Don't Move" worked great for me.

FrsDvl

I have enough money now to pick this up, but I feel like I shouldn't, or at least not for $75CAD. What do you say, gaf? Should I buy my girlfriend a new sweater, or should I buy until dawn?

One quick question. The back of the Until Dawn Box says that it is Move-compatible. But when I connect my Move controller it does nothing. Am I to dumb or what?

Velkyn

Em and Jess are the most annoying characters I have ever known in a video game, because they are the typical rich teenage girl.
"Don't Move" worked great for me.

I don't know, I started to come around on Jess after a while. Emily too. Maybe I hated them so much it looped back around into "like"?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Uncapped? Seriously? That's fucking disappointing. Why would they do that?

Judder and uneven frame distribution. At 30 FPS every frame is duplicated one time. At 35 or 40 FPS you get a mix of single and duplicate frames that appears very uneven.
Yeah, odd move here. I don't know why devs keep shipping games without a 30fps limiter if they're uncapped by default.

Heidern98

But seriously..... I'm deeply disappointed in the lack of an "Invert Look" option; especially considering there are shooter elements (point and aim against a timer). Who the hell forgets to add that option in? It's 2 minutes of coding and adding it to the settings list.

I agree with this sentiment as well. It seems to be a straightforward option that is regularly included in a wide range of games, yet was oddly omitted here.

The time it would take to code and bug-test the inverted controls is greater than the amount of time you spend shooting things. It's not worth it.

For me, invert look isn't just about shooting. Invert look is extended to all portions of the gameplay, like directing the characters eyes and controlling the flashlight. My reaction times are thrown off a bit because of the "counterintuitive" controls.

It's also interesting that you think that the developer wouldn't think that it was worth implementing. Do you have some unique insight here?

Top Bottom