• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Bildocube

Game finished... seven out of eight survivors. Lost
******** MATT ******

On the person I lost:

I gave Matt the Flare Gun and, like an idiot, he fired it immediately. Didn't give me an option to keep it on me. So off the hook he went. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Genuinely though I loved it. I thought it felt kinda flat on the third act (reminded me heavily of The Descent film) whereas the first act and most of the second act was phenomenal (reminded me heavily of Saw film)

Jobbs

Banned
Watching pewdiepie, i think i saw him jump like 2-3 times. I definitely jumped more than that. Then again I'm playing it on a projector with my home theater set up. Does this game make anyone else jump or is it just me?

I am about 7 hours in, and I've been playing only in the middle of the night and with pulse elite headphones. It's kind of tense at times, but mainly I just don't like the visceral shock of sudden super loud noises, which is what the game is extremely reliant upon and one of its only tricks. Overall I'm not feeling that scared, I think that may be in part due to the fact that I already played through Alien Isolation in a similar setup, which was far more intense.

The fact that the player isn't relied upon to do anything other than make choices and button prompts robs a lot of the fear from the experience, IMO. I was thinking how great a game like this would be if it were merged with some action gameplay, such as RE4 style gameplay -- Like a hybrid genre. So, in other words, it'd be an RE type game but with far fewer actual fights, and more story choice. That's never been attempted.

LastNac

LOL at "rumor"

Don't trust me, bro?

Bro, of course I trust you. I just wanted to see if other people appreciated them as well.

Would you have preferred me to roll on in here with a "Word on the street is..."

Yes, but probably not the ones you adore. There is no real direct gameplay action like Uncharted here. Its mostly static camera angles that sometimes move in a very cinematic and cool way to follow you a bit before the scenery changes. These are purely exploration segments however. The action is all QTE pretty much where movement is automated with very hectic and fast cut camera angles you have no control over.

Its pretty much in the vein of Beyond/Heavy Rain, which did the same thing. Some of the camera angles and paths are very clever and awesome though.

Those can be nice as well.

demigod

I am about 7 hours in, and I've been playing only in the middle of the night and with pulse elite headphones. It's kind of tense at times, but mainly I just don't like the visceral shock of sudden super loud noises, which is what the game is extremely reliant upon and one of its only tricks. Overall I'm not feeling that scared, I think that may be in part due to the fact that I already played through Alien Isolation in a similar setup, which was far more intense.

The fact that the player isn't relied upon to do anything other than make choices and button prompts robs a lot of the fear from the experience, IMO. I was thinking how great a game like this would be if it were merged with some action gameplay, such as RE4 style gameplay -- Like a hybrid genre. So, in other words, it'd be an RE type game but with far fewer actual fights, and more story choice. That's never been attempted.

It still scares me, lol. At times i wish i had a shotgun!

I'm currently up to chapter 8.

My character rankings so far:

1. Sam
2. Ashley
3. Mike
4. Emily ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
5. Jess
6. Chris
7. Josh
8. Matt

What kind of voodoo did they use for these graphics?! It can go from good looking to the best looking game I've ever seen! Sometimes it can look pretty much photo realistic.
The Quantic Dream trick aka being able to use almost 100% of the hardware for just the rendering. This is just the beginning too, future games will look even more insane especially by the likes of QD.

Of all the characters to admire...

iBwQvKhZx1B3Y.gif
I'm siding with Tricky here. I like Emily as well. I love how bitchy she is haha.

Kinsei

Banned
The writers clearly intend for the player to hate Emily, but for some reason I like her. Not even sure why, since she's not the nicest person. I thought it was pretty cool how she's this prissy stuck up chick, but
when it came time to survive, she got through the mines and escaped that monster (well, at least in my play) like a boss without anyone's help -- and that was the most deadly and scary seeming area of the game so far.

BTW, is it possible to have no deaths? Sometimes it seems like I do everything right and someone still dies.

Yes it's possible to have no deaths.
Not counting the twins of course.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
20FPS during an intro tutorial and when all the characters (save for one) are outside in the snow. So about 30 seconds of a ten minute video.

Not even close to what I would consider "hefty".

The majority of the video is sub 30, but there's no point arguing about it.

Apologies for not search through the thread first before asking, but is the character dialogue sounding weird to anyone else?

Playing with a good pair of Sennheisers and it sounds like all the dialogue was recorded from another room than the one the actors were in. Is this just me or did I mess up a setting somewhere I can't find?

Replicant

I think the Asian touch gets me, I'm a sucker for that. Plus her actress and model Nichole Bloom is pretty fine.

WAAAAAT? They did her injustice. The actress is beautiful and Emily.....is stuck in permanent bitch mode face.

With Hayden and Brett you can actually see the similarity. Nichole Bloom? None at all. Oh yeah, Remi Malek looks creepy too in here.

Also, I'm not jumping much from the jump scares that the psychologist accusing me of lying about my fear of the supernatural. I'm not lying. I just watch too many horror films that I'm not phased with jump scares anymore.

Apologies for not search through the thread first before asking, but is the character dialogue sounding weird to anyone else?

Playing with a good pair of Sennheisers and it sounds like all the dialogue was recorded from another room than the one the actors were in. Is this just me or did I mess up a setting somewhere I can't find?

Mostly just the opening scene. The sound gets a bit better as the game progress but yeah, it seems they didn't use good equipment to record the dialogues.

cheesekao

The majority of the video is sub 30, but there's no point arguing about it.
Regardless of what your stance on framerate is, the game is hardly '20 fps land' which would mean a slides how tier game and from the playthroughs I've seen and that video you linked, that isn't the case.

Thats pretty much what happened. Dialog and facial expressions were recorded in a separate session from the body mocap. Maybe the studio wasnt sound proofed very well or they were slacking during the editing, but its definitely an issue.

Thats pretty much what happened. Dialog and facial expressions were recorded in a separate session from the body mocap. Maybe the studio wasnt sound proofed very well or they were slacking during the editing, but its definitely an issue.

Thanks for the info. That's a shame, everything else looks and sounds amazing otherwise. I'll make myself get over it fast since I'm loving everything else.

WAAAAAT? They did her injustice. The actress is beautiful and Emily.....is stuck in permanent bitch mode face.

With Hayden and Brett you can actually see the similarity. Nichole Bloom? None at all.
Haha, that's true. They certainly tried hard to give her that particular look. I see some Emily in here though: http://dalje.com/slike/slike_3/r1/g2012/m03/ox281291384704386457.jpg

Thanks for the info. That's a shame, everything else looks and sounds amazing otherwise. I'll make myself get over it fast since I'm loving everything else.
It's still a quite astounding technical feat for Supermassive overall. They were only known for shovelware before. Sure they got Sony's full backing and a very capable engine, but they still created a competent and beautiful game on their own. So I'm fully willing to cut them some slack on the kinda bad framerate and audio issues. Beginners problems and nothing that kills the entire experience.

antitrop

I sure as fuck notice it, as it's all over the place, and really does sustain low-20s in certain outdoor environments, but it doesn't affect the gameplay, just kind of ruins the immersion a bit.

An option for letterboxed aspect ratio would help get the performance closer to 30, but a 30 lock should at the very least be patched in.

This game doesn't go over 30 enough to justify the unlocked framerate.

Also: PHOTO MODE, BECAUSE HOLY SHIT THIS GAME LOOKS INSANE

Rsinart

Up to chapter 7. Been playing it with my wife, who isn't a fan of scary stuff. So far we have been doing all the decision together. Doing so has 3-4 people dead lol. I have yet to find the game scary, intense once or twice, but my wife has had her shirt up over her head a few times now.

Also: PHOTO MODE, BECAUSE HOLY SHIT THIS GAME LOOKS INSANE
If its build similarly to a QD or Telltale game a photomode probably would need to be very limited in visibility or you could see the map borders quite early. A way to turn the camera around in place plus all the other typical photomode effects would be awesome already though considering how fine this game looks.

Missing any high-five in a game makes you a criminal.

Haha, that's true. They certainly tried hard to give her that particular look. I see some Emily in here though: http://dalje.com/slike/slike_3/r1/g2012/m03/ox281291384704386457.jpg

It's still a quite astounding technical feat for Supermassive overall. They were only known for shovelware before. Sure they got Sony's full backing and a very capable engine, but they still created a competent and beautiful game on their own. So I'm fully willing to cut them some slack on the kinda bad framerate and audio issues. Beginners problems and nothing that kills the entire experience.

Oh yeah I'm definitely not letting the VO audio ruin the game for me. I didn't know about the studio but this is an incredible feat for sure if this is there debut AAA outing. Hell I'd impressed if this was just about anybody.

I love thinking a character
is dead only to have them show up again.
And sometimes you truly don't know
if they're dead or alive.
It's great!

How's the sound design in this? Up there with Alien Isolation?
I absolutely love the music and little sound effects everywhere. However from what I heard Alien Isolation was incredible, so this game probably cant touch it unfortunately. Its good, but nothing mindblowing.

RANDOM FACT - If you face your character towards the camera and wait a few seconds it'll zoom in on their head and you can then move their head with the right stick.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well, I finished my first playthrough and really enjoyed it. The overall presentation is just fantastic. It looks and sounds terrific (framerate drops aside), and I found myself genuinely creeped out several times.

The whole 80's slasher flick vibe really works. Most of the collectibes were actually interesting to look at, which motivated me to really look around.

I'm a little bummed about the options for revisiting situations. I have two choices I really regret, but I'm not sure when I'll commit the hours to play from the first one all the way through to the end.

Still, I'm sure that I eventually will.

Watching pewdiepie, i think i saw him jump like 2-3 times. I definitely jumped more than that. Then again I'm playing it on a projector with my home theater set up. Does this game make anyone else jump or is it just me?

When streaming with a camera, you know when the scares are.

Anyway, I jumped a few times but what got me the most was (very minor spoiler)
the damn grandfather clock

Top Bottom