• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
BIG SPOILER
JOSH YOU ASSHOLE, I FUCKING KNEW IT.

If you know
the actors mannerisms in his other roles, you can hear his voice in both the voice message on the answering machine and in the way the Psychopath infelcts.

Pilgrimzero

Question about Matt:

Last I saw him he jumped clear of the falling tower. Now Im on Ch 9 and even Emily is back. What the frick happened to Matt?

Dragon

Banned
I'm only at Chapter 8, but yeah, I think so. Hasn't been a particularly great year for game narratives, though.

I have a particular fondness for Life is Strange although the script is a bit more cringeworthy. I tend to like that setting more than horror cliches.

Question about Matt:

Last I saw him he jumped clear of the falling tower. Now Im on Ch 9 and even Emily is back. What the frick happened to Matt?

Keep playing, you'll find out.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The reviews have done nothing for me but the impressions ppl are posting here have really piqued my interest.

MattyG

Banned
If you know
the actors mannerisms in his other roles, you can hear his voice in both the voice message on the answering machine and in the way the Psychopath infelcts.
That wasn't how I guessed it, but that's crazy too. I only just got to the reveal, so I didn't realize that was him on the machine as well. I had a feeling that was what was going on pretty early based on a couple lines that felt like they were telegraphing it. He ended up dying by saw for me, so that threw my theory off a bit, but I still suspected it when Em said "maybe we should've checked to be sure".

It was only one of two or three theories of mine, but I'm actually pretty proud that I finally guessed a games twist from early on.

On a non spoiler note, DAMN this game is so good.

Jobbs

Banned
Question about something.

I avoided the trap box in Mike's first big adventure, because it just looked really suspicious and I remembered a clue about chopped off fingers. So I just avoided it. I went on youtube and looked up someone else's play, and he didn't avoid it, and he managed to pry it off himself, but lost his machete in the process. I figured oh, that means he can't save Hayden Peniteiere from the ropes on her chair, but all that was different turns out to be he freed her with a lighter instead.
So ultimately it made no difference.. Or did it?

I avoided the trap box in Mike's first big adventure, because it just looked really suspicious and I remembered a clue about chopped off fingers. So I just avoided it. I went on youtube and looked up someone else's play, and he didn't avoid it, and he managed to pry it off himself, but lost his machete in the process. I figured oh, that means he can't save Hayden Peniteiere from the ropes on her chair, but all that was different turns out to be he freed her with a lighter instead.

It will.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

That not where it's used.

That wasn't how I guessed it, but that's crazy too. I only just got to the reveal, so I didn't realize that was him on the machine as well. I had a feeling that was what was going on pretty early based on a couple lines that felt like they were telegraphing it. He ended up dying by saw for me, so that threw my theory off a bit, but I still suspected it when Em said "maybe we should've checked to be sure".

It was only one of two or three theories of mine, but I'm actually pretty proud that I finally guessed a games twist from early on.

On a non spoiler note, DAMN this game is so good.

They drop hints: Josh's message to the others basically is "I've got shit planned for all of you." Sam calls Josh a schemer after the basement incident. The whole "My dad knows how to fake shit" as horror movie producer.

Makes a second playthrough enjoyable.

antitrop

Choosing to chop off your fingers means that you get to keep the machete, that's what I did

Leeness

Lmao the tension in this game is killing me and I'm only in chapter 2.

I'm jumping at everything and my heart is beating like crazy constantly.

Lmao the tension in this game is killing me and I'm only in chapter 2.

I'm jumping at everything and my heart is beating like crazy constantly.

LOL, if you're like that now just you wait till the game actually picks up. The jump scares haven't really done much for me, but there's one in particular later on that nearly gave me a damn heart attack!

Kambing

I still cant play the game... Already tried the license restore workaround Sony recommended. Really soured my experience preordering things from PSN. Ah well good to see the lot of you enjoying the game, hope to join in soon.

MattyG

Banned
They drop hints: Josh's message to the others basically is "I've got shit planned for all of you." Sam calls Josh a schemer after the basement incident. The whole "My dad knows how to fake shit" as horror movie producer.

Makes a second playthrough enjoyable.
Oh wow
I'm surprised I missed those too. I caught the message being kind of ominous and assumed the movie stuff would come into play though.

I just remembered though, what really tipped me off was the fact that you never got to control Josh. That was the huge giveaway right there.

Quick question to anyone who's finished; how many chapters?

Elitist1945

Oh wow
I'm surprised I missed those too. I caught the message being kind of ominous and assumed the movie stuff would come into play though.

I just remembered though, what really tipped me off was the fact that you never got to control Josh. That was the huge giveaway right there.

Quick question to anyone who's finished; how many chapters?

I also realized
at the very beginning he says "Hello friends...and fans". Wasn't he recording everything for the internet. Dat foreshadowing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That only shows
the arm for a split second. I thought it was something else.

Worthless totem. It doesn't even show anything that would warn you of what it is. It just shows you the end result.

Watch it more than once? Replayed it like a few times, and then again when I got to the scene and was like "Yup this is it. . ." I mean. DSP figured it out. . .o_0

halfbeast

Banned
RANDOM FACT - If you face your character towards the camera and wait a few seconds it'll zoom in on their head and you can then move their head with the right stick.

once I realized how the close-up worked, I kept doing it with every character. if you keep watching long enough, they start having some weird looking tourettes. it's hilarious!

Kinsei

Banned
Watch it more than once? Replayed it like a few times, and then again when I got to the scene and was like "Yup this is it. . ." I mean. DSP figured it out. . .o_0

Why would I watch it more than once? That kinda ruins the game IMO. Honestly I wish there was a way of getting the totems added to your collection without actually watching them.

Dragon

Banned
I think I remember using the machete on one of those mutants on the way out, was that an important thing? did that save my life?

Yes it did, because otherwise I believe you would have died. I think you missed the rolling the barrel button prompt with Mike?

Jobbs

Banned
My Matt died shortly after falling into the mine
. What would have saved him?
I'm wondering if it was the flare gun, since I kept it on Emily but Emily never actually used it for anything, so I'm thinking maybe that was something that mattered.

Game finished... seven out of eight survivors. Lost
******** MATT ******

On the person I lost:

I gave Matt the Flare Gun and, like an idiot, he fired it immediately. Didn't give me an option to keep it on me. So off the hook he went. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Genuinely though I loved it. I thought it felt kinda flat on the third act (reminded me heavily of The Descent film) whereas the first act and most of the second act was phenomenal (reminded me heavily of Saw film)

I just had what happened to you with
Matt
happen to me. No clue why he did it, and I'm super pissed he died cause of it, haha.

I'm on chapter seven now and I at least think everyone else is alive, hopefully ... I freaking love this game though!! I can't wait to start my second playthrough and I'm not even finished yet :)

Jobbs

Banned
How does the advisor affect your story? I feel like I am making it worse for myself by answering his questions honestly

He kept thinking I was lying to him or something, even though I tried to answer honestly. I think I'm just more complex psychologically than the game allows for. :)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I just had what happened to you with
Matt
happen to me. No clue why he did it, and I'm super pissed he died cause of it, haha.

I'm on chapter seven now and I at least think everyone else is alive, hopefully ... I freaking love this game though!! I can't wait to start my second playthrough and I'm not even finished yet :)

He needs to:

Jump to safety instead of saving Emily. Which - given the choice - isn't hard.

How does the advisor affect your story? I feel like I am making it worse for myself by answering his questions honestly

Just cosmetic changes.

Kinsei

Banned
My Matt died shortly after falling into the mine
. What would have saved him?
I'm wondering if it was the flare gun, since I kept it on Emily but Emily never actually used it for anything, so I'm thinking maybe that was something that mattered.

Two things could have saved him. 1. Disagreeing to go with Emily to the tower, giving him the flare, and then choosing to keep it instead of shooting it. 2. Jumping off instead of trying to save Emily twice.

He needs to:

Em
is the best character though.

Jobbs

Banned
Two things could have saved him. 1. Disagreeing to go with Emily to the tower, giving him the flare, and then choosing to keep it instead of shooting it. 2. Jumping off instead of trying to save Emily twice.

Em
is the best character though.

Would jumping off have caused Emily to die
?

And I agree, Emily is awesome, I just love her, she's so bossy and stuck up. Like I said before, they try to make you hate her, but I can't!

Jobbs

Banned
My only death in the game up to Chapter 9 at this point, arrrggghhhhh

Same, this is my only death -- I THINK.
I'm still a little unclear whether Jessica is alive. They seem to have hinted that she is in the part I'm at now --- and when Mike first found her, she was alive before she fell with the elevator.
It seemed inconclusive.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Same, this is my only death -- I THINK.
I'm still a little unclear whether Jessica is alive. They seem to have hinted that she is in the part I'm at now --- and when Mike first found her, she was alive before she fell with the elevator.
It seemed inconclusive.

You would know the answer to this during that sequence.

She dies if you fuck up reaching her.

He needs to:

Damnn, I was trying to be a good person and save
Emily
even though I can't stand her. Thanks for the tip though; if it happens next playthrough I now know what to do.

Kinsei

Banned
Seriously death totem 4. Anyone know how to trigger this? I can't figure it out.

The one where
Chris is killed by a wendigo in the caves that lead to the mine? I believe you have to leave Chris behind and then go get Ashley killed by the wendigo mimicking Jess.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nooooooo, fuck! I already lost one
Jessica

Gotta work on them reflexes.

Damnn, I was trying to be a good person and save
Emily
even though I can't stand her. Thanks for the tip though; if it happens next playthrough I now know what to do.

There are a few "Good Guy Jeff Gone Wrong" moments in the game.

The one where
Chris is killed by a wendigo in the caves that lead to the mine? I believe you have to leave Chris behind and then go get Ashley killed by the wendigo mimicking Jess.

It can happen to both of them.

Top Bottom