• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jesus Hotsauce Christmas-cake!

Leeness

LOL, if you're like that now just you wait till the game actually picks up. The jump scares haven't really done much for me, but there's one in particular later on that nearly gave me a damn heart attack!

Hahaha it's more the tension and waiting for things to happen. The game is building really really well, but it's killing me hahaha.

RIP in pieces?

Yes, basically. I'm ready for things to start popping off to relieve the built up tension lol.

---

Also, I'm totally embarrassed that this game is killing me. I'm a big horror movie person and I'm genre savvy enough to know when the jump scares are coming. Yet they keep getting me lol.

Kinsei

Banned
Lol, I was trying every possible thing to get her killed off as soon as possible.
What a bitch.

I guess you didn't
get the scene where she has a heart to heart with Mike revealing that the bitchy persona is just a front to hide her insecurity before she gets taken?

The one where
Chris is killed by a wendigo in the caves that lead to the mine? I believe you have to leave Chris behind and then go get Ashley killed by the wendigo mimicking Jess.

I did that but that went to where she was and a different
death happened.
Guess I needed to just try to rejoin them and then it happens?

MattyG

Banned
Welp. LATE CHAPTER SPOILER
Just lost Ashley. Went to save Jess and opened the wrong door. I hadn't lost anyone aside from flamethrower guy yet either :(

FrsDvl

I guess you didn't
get the scene where she has a heart to heart with Mike revealing that the bitchy persona is just a front to hide her insecurity before she gets taken?

the one in the cabin, about her being insecure? Doesn't mean she should act like a bitch to everyone. I could not stand her one bit, and I'm glad I made her fall in the water

My favorites were Ash and Sam.
why did I have to let Ash investigate the noise :( I was trying my best to keep her alive!

carlsojo

Welp. LATE CHAPTER SPOILER
Just lost Ashley. Went to save Jess and opened the wrong door. I hadn't lost anyone aside from flamethrower guy yet either :(

I did the exact same thing
and I felt so, so stupid. Especially since the book flamethrower guy gives you specifically says that the Wendigo can mimic humans.

Amirnol

Either I am doing something wrong or this game is bugging out on me... I am at the second totem, the yellow one, and nothing happens when I look at it. Picked it up, flipped it over and looked at it, over and over for almost 15 minutes, I don't understand. Assuming it was bugged I quit out of the game. Upon starting it back up and resuming the story, I'm now on a "Recovering partially installed data" screen. It says it may take up to twenty minutes, and it's been at 45% for almost 30 minutes now... What in the hell is going on here? I've barely even played for 20 minutes. This game cost $80 god damn dollars here in Canada, ridiculous.

Either I am doing something wrong or this game is bugging out on me... I am at the second totem, the yellow one, and nothing happens when I look at it. Picked it up, flipped it over and looked at it, over and over for almost 15 minutes, I don't understand. Assuming it was bugged I quit out of the game. Upon starting it back up and resuming the story, I'm now on a "Recovering partially installed data" screen. It says it may take up to twenty minutes, and it's been at 45% for almost 30 minutes now... What in the hell is going on here? I've barely even played for 20 minutes. This game cost $80 god damn dollars here in Canada, ridiculous.

Uninstall the game entirely off of the HDD and reinstall from the disc. When you try to resume it will give the same error but will install much quicker (took me about 15 minutes). It will then reload you where you last were. I've had no issues since after experiencing that error message after closing the application out though I hadn't experienced any bugged totems otherwise.

Kinsei

Banned
the one in the cabin, about her being insecure? Doesn't mean she should act like a bitch to everyone. I could not stand her one bit, and I'm glad I made her fall in the water

why did I have to let Ash investigate the noise :( I was trying my best to keep her alive!

Eh, she was only bitchy to people that antagonized her first. It was always a defensive reaction.

Jobbs

Banned

If you read the book earlier, they say sometimes the monsters mimic their prey to lure them in. I thought about that, and on that part just avoided the bumping hatch. Now I know what happens for sure.

Ray Down

Banned
OK I was at the end of chapter 4 & I
pick Ashely to be saved, but they way Josh reacted made me think it was really him or something. Am I wrong?

alterno69

Banned
Damn this game is good, i only played till the beginning of the DLC part with Emily and Matt, no jumps from me but super tense. I don't want shit to hit the fan yet.

I have to say the sound is really good on my Gold headset and the graphics are insane, best graphics this gen IMO, everything comes together so nice, the face animation is kinda iffy but other than that it looks superb.

Someone mentioned earlier how they wished the game had more action instead of just pushing buttons all the time by i don't agree. There are certain type of games that i just want to relax and watch the story unfold and having to fight or shoot stuff is actually detrimental to my experience, it's a big reason i never beat Alan Wake for example, the action just wasn't fun for me, i especially hate being short on ammo on top of havins to fight a lot of enemies or strong enemies.

This game is just perfect for me and i can see it be my favorite game so far this year.

I've only just started but I'm already loving the finality of your decisions and not being able to go back. In the Telltale games I was always tempted to reload because I regretted something, but having that option taken away from you actual makes the decisions more effective.

Replicant

Gahhhhh fuck, this went from Friday the 13th to Saw.

fucking bear trap lol

God, I really regretted that scene. It told myself "You fucking fool. You were warned! But did you pay attention? Noooo. And to top it off, you just have to act like a moth to a flame. How dumb can you be? DUMB DUMB DUMB! You deserve this shit. OMG, what is that sound?"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So now that I missed killing one of them, what chapter can I go back to to kill off Ashley?

MattyG

Banned
Just finished it. One sitting. Broke for food for about 10 minutes in the middle. Goddamn, Supermassive, you did good.

I need to go to bed, but
those 5 "keep still" bits in a row got my adrenaline going.

Ooccoo

My god, I was doing super fine but the last chapter basically wrecked me.

I lost Josh, Jessica, Matt AND fucking Sam thanks to wendigos. Josh I have absolutely no clue how I was supposed to avoid it, but the other 3 are all because of the controller DON'T MOVE actions. In fact, Jess & Matt was because after I hid I couldn't hit the button prompt fast enough and the wendigo got a 2-for-1. Felt pretty awful, especially since Jessica is second worst character IMO after Emily

MattyG

Banned
My god, I was doing super fine but the last chapter basically wrecked me.

I lost Josh, Jessica, Matt AND fucking Sam thanks to wendigos. Josh I have absolutely no clue how I was supposed to avoid it, but the other 3 are all because of the controller DON'T MOVE actions. In fact, Jess & Matt was because after I hid I couldn't hit the button prompt fast enough and the wendigo got a 2-for-1. Felt pretty awful, especially since Jessica is second worst character IMO after Emily
Damn straight.

I think the character likablity scale goes as follows:
1) Sam
2) Wolfie
3) Mike
4) Chris
5) Matt
6) Ashley
7) Flamethrower guy
8) Dr. Hill
9) Josh
10) Jess
11) That ranger guy on the radio
12) Wendigos
13) Emily

ThankeeSai

Played it for 4 hours or so with the wife last night.

Enjoyed the shit out of it. Jump scares REALLY made us jump, love the story and it looks absolutely stunning.

Think we got up to chapter 5. How many are there in total?

Dominator

Anybody complaining about Jess needs to listen to Emily. Talk about an annoying character, my goodness. Eve when you're nice she complains lol

You were fucked the moment you made that decision.

Not entirely true.

I made that decision thinking I'll save Ashley. I went to the cellar and got instant Evil Dead vibes. I pressed X but didn't press R2 because I knew it'll be a trap, especially when Stranger said that thy can mimic humans. Walked past the cellar and you can immediately regroup with the rest of the team.

Thank God I didn't make the mistake. Hearing that others got suckered into it makes me feel quite happy.
I did lose her later on though. FUCK!

Played 8 chapters yesterday, making it the longest gaming-session I've had in a while. I think I played about 6,5 hours straight - it's just that good.

Can't wait to finish it and start again. Two deaths so far, and both of 'em hurt.

Lingitiz

Just finished. Loved it! Plays with your expectations really well. Will definitely try to get another playthrough in before MGSV.

I finished my first playthrough tonight and did pretty well for the most part. Such an amazing game and experience.

I lost…

Sam (Damn motion controls! I thought I had this.)
Matt
Mike
and Wolfie :(

If i had chosen to barricade the door instead of escaping, would that have saved Wolfie?

dreamfall

Just hit Chapter 5, feeling like this is freakin' amazing! Some great tension building with a cast that I can't wait to kill entirely! Loving every second!

nib95

Banned
What do you reckon guys, is this worth full price? Thinking of playing through it with my wife, who isn't really a gamer.

What do you reckon guys, is this worth full price? Thinking of playing through it with my wife, who isn't really a gamer.

Depends if you think an about 8 hour single player game is worth it. It's a great experience and I already want to start my second playthrough after just beating it. Took me 9 hours total and even if it's this one playthrough the experience was so good that I would say it was worth it.

nib95

Banned
Absolutely. My GF isn't a gamer at all and she sat next to me the whole time and enjoyed every second of it.

Depends if you think an about 8 hour single player game is worth it. It's a great experience and I already want to start my second playthrough after just beating it. Took me 9 hours total and even if it's this one playthrough the experience was so good that I would say it was worth it.

Sounds great. And I have no qualms about it's length, in-fact right now it's preferable. We have limited amounts of time as is, so it being shorter means we can actually finish it lol.

On a side note, she just bought it for me as part of my Anniversary gift (the rest being a trip away), so yea, sorted! £39.85 at Amazon right now. Could have got it slightly cheaper yesterday with the now expired Rakuten voucher, but oh well.

demigod

Played it for 4 hours or so with the wife last night.

Enjoyed the shit out of it. Jump scares REALLY made us jump, love the story and it looks absolutely stunning.

Think we got up to chapter 5. How many are there in total?

I wish my wife would watch me play but nope, she doesn't want to. My 2(almost 3) year old son watches me play, surprisingly he's not scared. He jumped a couple times but not as much as me, lol.

The music is creepy at certain points.

Just finished the game and loved it. I really hope it sells well enough to start making more games in this style.

Is it possible to save Josh? Can Matt only be saved by avoiding the radio tower?

Four hours Until Dawn... this game is legitimately scary. Lots of unexpected flourishes of creative horror such as the
doll house
moment, yikes.

Karish

Fiancé decided I can't play this without her, WIN!

Such a cool game, so glad it exists and seems to be finding an audience

aly

This is a legit sleeper hit. Like there was no way I would've pegged the game for being this awesome when we saw it last year. I just want it to sell well now :(

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Just finished the game and loved it. I really hope it sells well enough to start making more games in this style.

Is it possible to save Josh? Can Matt only be saved by avoiding the radio tower?

Josh:
You need information that the Wnedigo is Hannah. I believe this comes from the tattoo photo. You do NOT need all the Twins clues like a lot of places are saying.

Matt:
He needs to leap to safety instead of saving Emily. She will survive regardless. However if she has the flare gun (and not Matt) she will be able to defend herself. However doing this will rob you of a trophy.

Top Bottom