• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

I think it'd be cool if Supermassive did a sequel American Horror Story style, bring all the actors back to play new characters in a new setting.

Peter Stormare is great.

antitrop

This is a legit sleeper hit. Like there was no way I would've pegged the game for being this awesome when we saw it last year. I just want it to sell well now :(

I think it's safe to say it will sell all of its first run, given anecdotal evidence of many retail stores being sold out of non-preorder copies day 1, we'll see if it has any legs.

Might pick back up in October, especially if it times well in a sale.

Josh:
You need information that the Wnedigo is Hannah. I believe this comes from the tattoo photo. You do NOT need all the Twins clues like a lot of places are saying.

Matt:
He needs to leap to safety instead of saving Emily. She will survive regardless. However if she has the flare gun (and not Matt) she will be able to defend herself. However doing this will rob you of a trophy.
I'm fairly certain you need
the tattoo parlor clue and the journal that is in the cave. I had tattoo clue on first playthrough and Josh got killed, second time I had tattoo clue and the notebook (which makes Sam talk to Josh about it) and he 'survived'
I think it's safe to say it will sell all of its first run, given anecdotal evidence of many retail stores being sold out of non-preorder copies day 1, we'll see if it has any legs.
Seems like a game that will live on positive word of mouth. At least I'm hoping so.
I think it'd be cool if Supermassive did a sequel American Horror Story style, bring all the actors back to play new characters in a new setting.

Peter Stormare is great.
I'd love that. I don't want a sequel to what happens in this game even though it feels like they are moderately teasing the possibility of one in the end credits.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is a legit sleeper hit. Like there was no way I would've pegged the game for being this awesome when we saw it last year. I just want it to sell well now :(
Never imagined this would be on my shortlist for best games this year, with the way the year is stacked. It's just a perfectly executed little package, out of nowhere pretty much.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm about to start my second playthrough now. Is it better to just start a new game and wipe everything clean, or go chapter by charter?

Just start from where you would have made the same decisions. The game will essentially reset without you having to play everything over again.

If you're going for different story beats you might want to wipe everything as:
the game will change if you leave your group in the dark about things, like the miners, Josh or The Twins. Not super massive changes but different dialogue and some new scenes.

If you're doing a collectibles run just start at the prologue or chapter one because what you have found before does carry over and you don't have to get everything again.
Never imagined this would be on my shortlist for best games this year, with the way the year is stacked. It's just a perfectly executed little package, out of nowhere pretty much.
I was looking forward to this as a fun distraction and change of pace before MGS V and something my wife could enjoy watching me play but I got a much richer experience than I could have anticipated. I've played through it three times in 2 days and I'm usually sick of these types of games after one run.

I'm kinda stuck, I want to play it so everyone survives, like I get the tropes and everything. Obviously it might subvert them as I get further in, but I also just want to play like an actual horror film and do everything really dumb and play along.

carlsojo

Peter Stormare is great.

Absolutely. Bare minimum
Peter Stormare should return as the Analyst to kind of loosely tie the series together. Kind of like Igor from Persona.

Positive word of mouth plus all the streams will hopefully lead to some great sales. The game deserves it. So much attention to detail in the presentation.

I'm kinda stuck, I want to play it so everyone survives, like I get the tropes and everything. Obviously it might subvert them as I get further in, but I also just want to play like an actual horror film and do everything really dumb and play along.

Sometimes the dumb thing to do is the smart thing, and sometimes the smart thing to do is actually the dumb thing! Just go with your gut.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I said it before but I would have preferred it if it was self referential enough that doing all the dumb cliche stuff would lead to the best ending.

Just go with your gut and don't look back on playthrough one. The 'everyone survives' outcome is very satisfying in its own way but I wouldn't change my original playthrough at all.

Only a few of the jump scares have really gotten me, but they wreck my wife. I might buy a ps camera just to record her play.

Many of the jump scares so far has really gotten to me as well and I'm still really early. I play myself with a headphones set to proper volume at night. But yeah they really wreck my wife also. This is probably the most fun watching her play anything. Having a great time with this game so far and can't wait to play more tonight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm on chapter 3 right now and enjoying it, these type of games always hit a soft spot for me.

Fuck Emily tho.

Lime

I gotta say, the graphics are quite impressive.

Characters are super annoying, though. I guess that's what's expected in this campy horror story.

Nyx

Many of the jump scares so far has really gotten to me as well and I'm still really early. I play myself with a headphones set to proper volume at night. But yeah they really wreck my wife also. This is probably the most fun watching her play anything. Having a great time with this game so far and can't wait to play more tonight.

I think I saw too many of these kind of movies for the jumpscares to have an effect.

nib95

Banned
I think I saw too many of these kind of movies for the jumpscares to have an effect.

Probably depends on what sort of volumes you're playing the game at too. The louder your speakers/headphones, the more likely you are to be scared.

ufo8mycat

Just finished it
What an amazing experience!

I was worried about the story/narrative and how it would flow/be told, but WOW.
I love the story and the way it's told, characters, atmosphere, the gameplay aspect fits perfectly, tension/suspense.

BRILLIANT
9.5/10
Well done to Sony and SupermassiveGames
Holy cow I was not expecting it to be this good! WOW

I am about to start a 2nd play through. Can you skip cutscenes and conversations?

Just finished it
What an amazing experience!

I was worried about the story/narrative and how it would flow/be told, but WOW.
I love the story and the way it's told, characters, atmosphere, the gameplay aspect fits perfectly, tension/suspense.

BRILLIANT
9.5/10
Well done to Sony and SupermassiveGames
Holy cow I was not expecting it to be this good! WOW

I am about to start a 2nd play through. Can you skip cutscenes and conversations?
Nope. I mean, that's sort of the entire game.

Lime

If you don't like at least one character by the end of this game I'd be surprised.

Still only in chapter 1, so you're probably right.

I was pretty pissed that
Beth
died in the beginning because of my actions, so we'll see how fare once other characters start dying off. I'm in still in chapter 1 and the different totems are really influencing my playstyle.

Pretty entertaining game so far :lol

man... I just fucked up and killed two of my friends. late game spoilers
i'm in the cabin with the wendegos and i cut the light switch on too soon thinking everyone got out for some reason poor agent ward
, I wasnt thinking and made a stupid decision. please tell me after i beat this i can replay chapters?

kubus

man... I just fucked up and killed two of my friends. late game spoilers
i'm in the cabin with the wendegos and i cut the light switch on too soon thinking everyone got out for some reason poor agent ward
, I wasnt thinking and made a stupid decision. please tell me after i beat this i can replay chapters?
You can

Corpekata

Banned
I feel like I won't really get as much replay out of this as others seem to suggest they are.
If you don't manage to get anyone killed early on, which only has a couple opportunities, it feels like every really interesting variation is in the last two chapters. I mean, I guess trophy hunters could get some, creating some of the rarer situations, like getting Ashley to hate Chris, but it I dunno, just not that compelling to me. So I'll replay the last couple, try to save everyone, and maybe see the "no survivors" ending too, but I doubt I'll do much else.

Maybe if it borrowed from 999 and gave a fast forward button through everything you've seen before.

Nyx

Probably depends on what sort of volumes you're playing the game at too. The louder your speakers/headphones, the more likely you are to be scared.

The volume is very high, but the camera showed me not moving at all during the first 4 scares. Maybe later ones will!

ufo8mycat

I love the segments where it tells you to hold the controller still. So suspenseful and immersive. I was literally holding my breath, not to move it!

Yes that's a valid point. I also have seen plenty of horror movies and pretty much all the older ones worth mentioning for and too many that are complete crap as well. I don't know I think in my case the film knowledge just heightens my immersion and enjoyment of the game. Even though I've never been that big fan of the slasher genre but I like the first Halloween a lot and The first Nightmare on Elmstreet is pretty good as well. I think I've seen every Friday the 13th movie when I was younger, but don't really care for them. I absolutely love the original Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Suspiria, but don't really count them as slashers.

I've been really enjoying the sessions with the psychiatrist so far and hope they'll continue till the end. I assume he was named after Dr. Hill from The Rosemary's Baby.

My main compliant is audio as well. Got to chapter 9 last night on my "kill everyone" playthrough.
The last section is a tone shift from the start.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Yibby

Has anyone found out how to use the move controller ? Move support is printed on the back of the box, but it doesn't work ingame.

Finished! It was a great ride, but man did things go to hell quickly for me LOL. I managed to save
Mike, Emily and Matt.

BIG SPOILERS:

Jess died at the very start because Mike was to slow to get to her.

Chris died from a Wendigo after Josh had disappeared.

Ashley went to investigate a sound by herself in the cave and got killed by a Wendigo.

Josh got his head crushed by his sister as a Wendigo in the cave while in the water.

Sam got killed by a Wendigo in the cabin because she couldn't keep still enough.

The Wendigos are easily one of the most frightening things I've seen in games. So damn ugly! Also WOW at the hallucination scene with Josh! O_O

Overall, a great experience!

Virdix

Hey guys so im in the
Mines
with
Ashley, Em, Sam, and Chris
and I chose to investigate a sound and now i cant progress the other characters stand still and if i try to continue I clip into the walls?

Edit: According to a walkthrough I should be controlling a different character at this point, guess I'll have to restart the whole game?

Udder

Neo Member
Just beat the game and honestly this game was a blast! I never expected to have this much fun! I managed to save everyone except
matt
though :/. I might start a second playthrough if i have time.

Also Mike and Sam reminded me of Nathan Drake and Elena :p

Slixshot

Banned
Played a few hours last night with my buddies and I can't stop thinkin about how awesome this game is. Amazing job to Supermassive. Hopefully the budget wasn't too high because I would love to see more from them in the future!

Btw, the facial animation is ON POINT! Especially with that creepy guy ^_^

alterno69

Banned
I don't want this game to end, it's unfair to live in a world with 500 FPS with crap plots every year and two games like this one per generation. I've come to almost never beat the games i buy and i thought i was the problem, but playing this i realize the industry has to broaden its horizons really bad. This is a step in the right direction but now i need more. We need a full season of this every year, by several developers.

Anung

Un Rama
I can't wait to get some mates over with a few beers and play this. Seems like it'd be the perfect environment for it.

I don't want this game to end, it's unfair to live in a world with 500 FPS with crap plots every year and two games like this one per generation. I've come to almost never beat the games i buy and i thought i was the problem, but playing this i realize the industry has to broaden its horizons really bad. This is a step in the right direction but now i need more. We need a full season of this every year, by several developers.

Not sure if it is me getting older, but its the narrative that sells me now, rather than bashing buttons and shooting stuff. Glad I picked this up.

Words of wisdom here. I definitely agree with you two. I actually try to play the game as slowly as possible and take in the atmosphere and inspect every possible corner.

I've always preferred story and narrative based games mainly because I grew up playing old adventure games. I love skill based games as well, but I'm tired of the run of the mill shooters, which is why I hardly ever play them.

Virdix

Game Breaking bug in Chapter 10

Spoilers ahead to avoid breaking your save like me.

When you are controlling
Ashley
in the
mines

Do NOT choose
Investigate voice
, the game will fail to swap control to another character needed to progress the game.

Top Bottom