• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Wow the Japanese version of this is lame as hell.

Censored to all hell with black screens that are literally as long as the cutscene. Emily sounds super tough woman in charge instead of a complete whiney bitch... what's the point then.

It sounds silly but I think my favorite parts of the game were when you were being interview by Dr. Hill. He was so creepy and mysterious, plus the dialouge in those sesssions were great. I always looked forward to our next interaction.

Definitely among my favorite parts of the game as well. I actually mentioned it here a while back. I'm still only in the third chapter, but I hope we'll have the sessions till the end.

Catdaddy

Talking to one of my co-workers and he’s interested in buying the game, checked the inventory at Gamestop for pickup in store, out of the 22 stores in a 25 mile radius only 3 have the game. I know someone posted they had only had a few sent to the stores, but hopefully that bodes well for the sales for Supermassive.

Talking to one of my co-workers and he’s interested in buying the game, checked the inventory at Gamestop for pickup in store, out of the 22 stores in a 25 mile radius only 3 have the game. I know someone posted they had only had a few sent to the stores, but hopefully that bodes well for the sales for Supermassive.

i went to gamestop on tuesday morning at like 11 am asking for the game. Lady told me they were sold out, then i said i had it preordered and she said nevermind. I just dont think theyve sent alot to the stores.

brau

Wow... what a freaking great game. I am really really enjoying it.

Got Joshed killed in a decision between Josh and Ashley.... he got split in half by a saw. O_O i didn't see that coming. But i should not have gone into that shack. I kinda knew it too. The bit with Michael chasing after Jess was cool. I dunno what happened to her.. she fell through in the mines, i have not seen her since. Then i went with Michael to the sanatorium.. one of hte longest bits yet. Kicked the wolf, only to make up byu giving it a bone... phew... and with Sam i got away from the guy with the mask by hiding in the elevator. phew... this game is INTENSE! i am loving it!!!

I don't know who else is gone. I think just 2 deaths... if i count Jess as dead. Michael is surrounded by fire... and then Dr Hill got hit by the monster in the mask between chapters!! WTH IS GOING ON!!??

Easy.. one of my fav games this year. This game is better than any telltale, the don't nod and quantic dream... i thought HEavy Rain was pretty good... btu this game just takes it a step farther than all of them.

Anyways. can't wait to see what happens later.

Anyone encountering audio issues? I have a surround sound setup, and are noticing the sound cutting in and out. It just noticeably started at
when you first get to the sanatorium

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Just finished it. Amazing game, will definitely play it one more time. My only criticism would be that some of the "walking around" sections are a bit too long without anything happening.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Big spoilers, I really loved the animations of the
wendigo, like it was framey enough to look like stop motion from old movies, but they seemed to warp around the room. Their big fight at the end was soooo cool looking.

I thought the psychiatrist sessions were awesome as a framing device, Stormare was nailing it and his likeness was pretty amazing to watch. My biggest complaint is that they didn't really make me too nervous about walking down long dark hallways, nothing scary ever comes of it like I would have expected.

Pilgrimzero

Saved everyone, first try!

Thanks largely to the totems, though I didn't find all of them.

I missed a lot of the pick ups.

Great game!

Velkyn

So I finished this last night, and I'm super sad it's over. It'll be fun to trophy hunt and see all the different possibilities, but nothing can replicate that experience of going in the first time and having no idea what's going on.

For my second playthrough I was thinking of getting a PS4 camera, but thinking about it now, is that really worth it? If the whole point is to record you getting jumpscared, and I know about most of them now, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Unless of course it's possible to miss some scares based on choices?

brau

Saved everyone, first try!

Thanks largely to the totems, though I didn't find all of them.

I missed a lot of the pick ups.

Great game!

Wow... kudos to you... i did my best so far... one big causalty already... btu it took a while before it happened.

This game is amazing really. I am so surprised and happy that this game turned out the way it did. Can't wait to see what Supermassive does next.

dracula_x

It sounds silly but I think my favorite parts of the game were when you were being interview by Dr. Hill. He was so creepy and mysterious, plus the dialouge in those sesssions were great. I always looked forward to our next interaction.

Just started playing, but yeah, that part is great.

B-Dex

The motion controls are surprisingly competent and immersive. Moving the controller to aim the flashlight while walking around etc just adds a nice little touch.

SSReborn

What happens if you save Josh and not Ashley how does the that scene play out cuz I'm assuming Josh has to be the one to get sawed for the story to progress the way it does?
Question regarding game plot.

Riptwo

Anyone encountering audio issues? I have a surround sound setup, and are noticing the sound cutting in and out. It just noticeably started at
when you first get to the sanatorium

I had the same issue, and the sound started cutting out and popping constantly in the same section. Luckily, it went away in subsequent sections, but nobody else seems to be reporting this issue and my tweets to the dev about it have been ignored. The sound in this game is all kinds of messed up, and I keep hoping that a patch will pop up to fix it.

Roussow

Unbelievable that people have been able to save everyone on the first try.

I'm somewhere in chapter 6, and I've lost 3.

Jess died, took my time "safely" getting down to her, to worried my characters are going to break their necks every damn time...
Then I picked to let Josh die, between him and Ash... Unsure how to obviously avoid this one, it seemed quite scripted.
Just lost Matt before turning off the game... I was so worried about having Matt fall to his death due to that totem, so I avoided every jumping opportunity in the cave and picked "Save Emily" every time while the radio tower fell, then he got hung on a fucking meat hook. God damn, that was a fucking gruesome death, the way his mouth filled up with blood, eugh, I think some of his teeth got knocked out by the hook, too -- fuck me that was grim. Hope Em's okay, she's crazy bitchy, but I'm hoping she can stay alive long enough to show a degree of competence and redemption to her clearly unlikable character arc... Plus she has the flare gun, I feel like I'm going to save the flare gun forever...

Loving the game thus far, especially the background story about the
miners and the hospital
-- and whatever is happening with the Silent Hill: Shattered Memories esque psychiatrist scenes. I hope there is some more downtime before the game is over, because shit kicked into gear really fast -- even just more of everyone in the same room, since the beginning
Mike and Jess were off immediately, and Sam has been going to have a bath for like 4 chapters.

Hope these last 4 chapters deliver!

RefigeKru

Banned
Watched a bit of a stream showing this.

Unreal how good this looks. Not even just graphically, some nice open areas, real choice and consequence - interesting take on the Slasher teen flick. Wow.

Finished! It was a great ride, but man did things go to hell quickly for me LOL. I managed to save Emily
Only thing that matters :D

Hey guys so im in the
Mines
with
Ashley, Em, Sam, and Chris
and I chose to investigate a sound and now i cant progress the other characters stand still and if i try to continue I clip into the walls?

Edit: According to a walkthrough I should be controlling a different character at this point, guess I'll have to restart the whole game?
Can you make a video of this? Sounds interesting/funny.

I don't want this game to end, it's unfair to live in a world with 500 FPS with crap plots every year and two games like this one per generation. I've come to almost never beat the games i buy and i thought i was the problem, but playing this i realize the industry has to broaden its horizons really bad. This is a step in the right direction but now i need more. We need a full season of this every year, by several developers.
100% agreed. Getting too old for repetitive shooting at this point.

Azlan

I am likely 80-85% through the game and it is definitely a standout gaming experience of the year for me. Highly recommended if you are the least bit into the genre (campy horror). Mechanically it is doing some really interesting things and from my experience sets a higher bar for choices actually having consequences in games. I really hope this does well so Supermassive can make more experiences like Until Dawn.

I can picture a more serious all-out horror game with this butterfly-effect branching storyline being terrifying.

ClearData

I hated Emily. I wanted her to die straight away in my play through. I thought Emily fans were abnormal.

And then I warm up to her when she apologized to Matt and they go off on a cute little romp in the woods.

My murder plot is foiled. Fuck.

ufo8mycat

I don't want this game to end, it's unfair to live in a world with 500 FPS with crap plots every year and two games like this one per generation. I've come to almost never beat the games i buy and i thought i was the problem, but playing this i realize the industry has to broaden its horizons really bad. This is a step in the right direction but now i need more. We need a full season of this every year, by several developers.

AMEN AMEN AMEN to this!

Just an amazing experience.

MidEvlDed

Finished the game last night. That ending was super intense.

I managed to save Mike, Sam, Matt, Emily, and Chris.

Death spoilers ahead

I got Ashley killed because I decided to investigate the noise and break of from the group like a MORON. I opened that hatch and got my head cut off. I got Jessica killed when I decided to have her and Matt run from a Wendigo and it caught her since she was in bad condition. Bad decision. ALWAYS hide from the Wendigos when given the option. You don't run on a wendigo.

ufo8mycat

Anyone who has the pre-order DLC and finished it.

How long is the DLC?

Does it take place during the main game?

Hopefully it becomes available to all at some point on the PS Store

Sorian

Banned
Just a question regarding the DLC, this is still way early game but I'll spoil just in case.

I know the DLC is Matt and Em going back to get her bag. They mentioned that was about to happen and also mentioned that Mike and Jess were going to head to the guest house. I got control of Mike after that scene for the whole guest house trek, is that the correct order or was my DLC not installed right?

The motion controls are surprisingly competent and immersive. Moving the controller to aim the flashlight while walking around etc just adds a nice little touch.

Oh that makes perfect sense if that is what the motion control option does. I am going to try it out because its a bit clunky using the stick for me.

I had the same issue, and the sound started cutting out and popping constantly in the same section. Luckily, it went away in subsequent sections, but nobody else seems to be reporting this issue and my tweets to the dev about it have been ignored. The sound in this game is all kinds of messed up, and I keep hoping that a patch will pop up to fix it.

Glad it's not just me. I was freaked out something was happening to my speakers and it took me completely out of the moment.

Adamastor

Just finished the game... Wow, biggest surprise so far. I really enjoyed the game. I had 3 people die, so I gotta replay this soon.

It's funny to see the jump scares on camera after.

MidEvlDed

A bit of trivia here.

Flamethrower guy (played by Larry Fessenden)
is actually one of the two writers of the game. He also wrote a movie called
Wendigo
in 2001.

Just a question regarding the DLC, this is still way early game but I'll spoil just in case.

I know the DLC is Matt and Em going back to get her bag. They mentioned that was about to happen and also mentioned that Mike and Jess were going to head to the guest house. I got control of Mike after that scene for the whole guest house trek, is that the correct order or was my DLC not installed right?
Correct order. It happens later.

Replicant

GOD. DAMN. IT.

Where the Hell is
The Flare Gun
?! I saw it prophesied in the totem but I couldn't found it and now it's too late. :mad:

alterno69

Banned
I should be editing a video right now and instead i'm here reading impressions and wanting to go back and keep playing, i work from home so i have my console literally in the next room, i can hear it calling me lol.

I think i'll go and play just one more chapter, just one.

Top Bottom