• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

NesFe

So, anyone else playing this like a horror dating simulator lol. I find myself caring a lot about sabotaging/fixing up relationships, like more than saving their lives and if you one of the people I'm sabotaging ends up dying, then that is life.

Chapter 1&2
Immediately went for messing up Emily's relationship in the choices

Still early on in the game, but I'm really liking it. The game was never on my to buy list, but I got affected by the positive impressions and bought it.

Playing with Global Stats on after playing it a few times is hilarious. I laughed when I saw 22% of players
shot the squirrel
in the beginning.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
FUCKING SHIT
I killed Mike by flipping the switch at the end. For some reason I thought he was going to run when I made a run for it too. Out of all the characters I wanted him to last ugghhhhhhh

Ugh, I was going into the fall pretty much set on my gaming purchases, only to be lured in by this game (and Madden). It just seems like the perfect Halloween game. Now I can't decide whether to go through with the buy or not. I notice that this is a full-priced release - any thoughts on whether it's worth the full $60?

brau

Ugh, I was going into the fall pretty much set on my gaming purchases, only to be lured in by this game (and Madden). It just seems like to perfect Halloween game. Now I can't decide whether to go through with the buy or not. I notice that this is a full-priced release - any thoughts on whether it's worth the full $60?

Totally worth it. I am very very happy with this purchase.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
FUCKING SHIT
I killed Mike by flipping the switch at the end. For some reason I thought he was going to run when I made a run for it too. Out of all the characters I wanted him to last ugghhhhhhh

End spoilers.
I killed 4 people with that choice. The way the scenario was presented, I thought I was supposed to go for the switch. And my decision was reinforced when it showed Chris exiting the cabin. I thought all the others had gone with him. But nope, I flip the switch and cook everyone alive. :(

JonnyKong

Oh man, just got my first character death.
Jessica in chapter four. Fell down the lift shaft with half her face off
I don't know what I could have done to prevent that? Seemed to all happen off screen.

Azlan

Ugh, I was going into the fall pretty much set on my gaming purchases, only to be lured in by this game (and Madden). It just seems like the perfect Halloween game. Now I can't decide whether to go through with the buy or not. I notice that this is a full-priced release - any thoughts on whether it's worth the full $60?

Pretty subjective, but I have no regrets whatsoever. I am having a lot more fun with this than expected. It will definitely be in the top games of the year list for me. I do love horror movies/games though.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

For me, it was a three night game. I don't regret buying at all. And I've got several friends/family that I want to see play it. Get the disc version so you can relive the game through their play.

Depends on you really. Did you buy Heavy Rain at launch and thought it was worth it? Personally for me its a yes and I only play these games once.

dracula_x

So, anyone else playing this like a horror dating simulator lol. I find myself caring a lot about sabotaging/fixing up relationships, like more than saving their lives and if you one of the people I'm sabotaging ends up dying, then that is life.

Well, it sounds like a Persona game :)

nOoblet16

Enjoying the game so far but the frequent framedrops are kind of hurting the experience, I would have liked a perfect or close to perfect 30FPS on this game.

I watched a friend stream the beginning last night to see of it was as good as I thought it looked but didn't watch too much. Definitely a game I'll be getting when I get a PS4. Looks stellar.

If you give it to Emily she won't get bitten by the wendigo. If you give it to Matt he won;t die when you try to save Emily twice while the fire tower is collapsing.
I gave the gun to Matt and he immediately shot it off. I tried to save Emily twice and he still got killed.

Kinsei

Banned
Hmm... I gave the flare gun to Matt and tried to save Emily twice. He still died via that hook thingy.

I gave the gun to Matt and he immediately shot it off. I tried to save Emily twice and he still got killed.

You also need to
disagree when Emily says you should head to the fire tower. If you do you will get the option to either have Matt shoot it off right away or keep it.

border

I just finished the game. I liked it but felt really cheated by almost all of the character deaths:

Matt -- I gave him the flare gun as the totem had suggested. He immediately fired it off into the air without any prompting from me the player. He falls down into the mine and is immediately killed by an unseen baddie who hangs him on a hook -- Butterfly Effect blames this on him not having a flare gun with which to defend himself.

Ashely -- I looked under the sealed hatch in the basement. I just thought this one was too cheap and stupid, though it's more my fault than any of the other deaths

Mike and Sam -- During the final sequence in the lodge, the "Don't Move" bar completely recalibrates and changes when the camera cuts to a different angle. This causes an instant fail. Failing with Sam seems to automatically mean that Mike dies since the game never gives you any more options after than. Prior to this I had never once failed a "Don't Move" sequence.

I just had weird controller issues throughout the game...."Don't Move" was completely busted unless I switched to motion controls, and occasionally it seemed like choices were being instantly auto-selected without giving me any options. It's a shame that minor hitches/glitches resulted in the death of nearly half the characters.

Went back and re-played the last two chapters and...

saved Wolfie (hell yes) and Mike. I still got screwed trying to save Sam with the motion controls. Damn! I was prepared for it too and it still got me. I had my hands steady on a table, but the game actually moves the sensor a bit and I didn't adjust in time to save her. Next time, Sam. Next time.

border

Well, that seemed like the best idea at that time :lol

Yeah, I think it's cheap to make someone's death hinge on that because they really give you no reason to disagree with her. Present me with some reason why I should object to
climbing the tower
and maybe I would have.

You also need to
disagree when Emily says you should head to the fire tower. If you do you will get the option to either have Matt shoot it off right away or keep it.
Awesome. I'll do that on my next playthrough.
He's the only person I wasn't sure how to save since he died so early for me.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I think it's cheap to make someone's death hinge on that because they really give you no reason to disagree with her. Present me with some reason why I should object to
climbing the tower
and maybe I would have.

Going out to a tower away from everyone else while (as far as they know) a psycho killer is on the loose
isn't a good reason to disagree with her?

Nyx

Chapter 8 now.

This game man, already better than Heavy Rain which I love too.

Can't wait to see how my story ends.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
climbing the tower
and maybe I would have.
He was my fav character and I tried to make the best possible choices with him. He didn't deserve that.

Going out to a tower away from everyone else while (as far as they know) a psycho killer is on the loose

Calling for help
seemed like a good idea IMO.

Hey internet pals. I want this but can't afford it with MGS and Mario Maker on the horizon but it looks awesome so I'm considering renting it. How long would a quick playthrough take? Is it a game that can be enjoyed as a rental?

MidEvlDed

End spoilers.
I killed 4 people with that choice. The way the scenario was presented, I thought I was supposed to go for the switch. And my decision was reinforced when it showed Chris exiting the cabin. I thought all the others had gone with him. But nope, I flip the switch and cook everyone alive. :(

The ending was really intense.

As Sam I chose to hide 3 TIMES instead of run and that damn Hannah Wendigo was like an inch from my face and it says "don't move" on the screen. I was like a statue man. Didn't even want to breathe. Then I chose to "save mike" by drawing one of the wendigo's attention after that when it was going towards him. That's when Sam then makes a run for the switch, Mike takes the opportunity to exit and they both make it out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hey internet pals. I want this but can't afford it with MGS and Mario Maker on the horizon but it looks awesome so I'm considering renting it. How long would a quick playthrough take? Is it a game that can be enjoyed as a rental?
Yep, I beat it in one sitting.

Light spoiler.

Fear of Snakes or Fear of Cockroaches?

Is this a real question? Bitch please,
snakes
are insignificant in comparison.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The ending was really intense.

As Sam I chose to hide 3 TIMES instead of run and that damn Hannah Wendigo was like an inch from my face and it says "don't move" on the screen. I was like a statue man. Didn't even want to breathe. Then I chose to "save mike" by drawing one of the wendigo's attention after that when it was going towards him. That's when Sam then makes a run for the switch, Mike takes the opportunity to exit and they both make it out.

Yep, if
I had chosen to "save Mike" I would have saved 6 out of the 8. Just a brutal punishment for choosing the switch.
Left me a bit sour, but I still loved the overall experience.

THERE'S A GLOBAL STATS OPTION?!?
Yeah, in the options menu. It makes your second or (in my case, fourth) playthrough more entertaining. I definitely don't recommend it for your first run. It put stats on literally everything you have a decision over. It surprises me how many times you are allowed to 'do nothing'. Can't wait to see what numbers it gives me in the late game.

border

Shooting off a giant flare in the dead of night and immediately indicating your whereabouts to the killer
isn't exactly a good idea either, and the game gave me no option as to whether or not I should do it.

X-Factor

Until Dawn:

Cabin in the Woods Romance route (how to get Jessica to undress) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUh3QKpIpyg

7iqlMi.jpg

UmS6D9.jpg

v9UF6d.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
Calling for help
seemed like a good idea IMO.

It is, but
put yourself in their shoes instead of the omnipotent player that you are. They had no clue where the killer was and had nothing to defend themselves with except an axe.

Shooting off a giant flare in the dead of night and immediately indicating your whereabouts to the killer
isn't exactly a good idea either, and the game gave me no option as to whether or not I should do it.

It's not, but
you had already set Matt down the stupid path by that point.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Awesome! Any idea of the average playtime? I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread quite a few times but I can't seem to find it.

Around 10-12 hours I'd say.

I'd recommend breaking the game up into three play sessions, and use the companion app. Mild spoilers, number of chapters:
Play Chapters 1-4, 5-8, 9-10 and then watch bonus features. Breaks down to three 4 hour chunks.

Virdix

How long have you been playing? You might want to check if you have an earlier save in the cloud (assuming you use PS+).
Nah, my PS+ storage has been full for awhile. My own fault on that one, reinstalled the game last night. Going to try playing here soon, will update.
Only thing that matters :D

Can you make a video of this? Sounds interesting/funny.
If its still broken after the reinstall I was planning on recording it for Supermassive to look at, ill post it here too.

Majmun

Amazing game so far. Having so much fun with it.

It's one of the rare examples where I expect a game to be total shit but it turns out to be awesome instead.

Top Bottom