• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Loudninja

For the new page

On my PlayStation 4 pre-order it shows I still have a ridiculous number of days (around 128) to go before I can play the game…

This is an issue Sony is aware of; at this time there is a reported work around which some users have found successful here

The speech in the game is very muffled through my TV or headphones.

We have received a small number of reports of this and we are investigating the problem.

One reported workaround for stereo audio systems is to change the audio settings on your PlayStation 4 system.
Open the Menu “SETTINGS/SOUND AND SCREEN/AUDIO OUTPUT SETTINGS” and ensure the Audio Format is set to Linear PCM.

I cannot find the bonus content that my pre-order promised.

To access the bonus materials, you should redeem the code found in physical copies in the PlayStation Store before starting a New Story.
If you downloaded the title from the store, it is automatically added to the game.‬

On the box it says I can use a move controller to play the game, but I cannot get it to work.

This is a misprint in a small run of packaging; Until Dawn does not support the Move Controller.

Why doesn’t Until Dawn have…

We have received a number of requests for changes or features for Until Dawn – we are looking at these requests.

I’m having problems with Twitch

We are discussing all reported Twitch issues with Sony. We are trying to find a solution ASAP.

I’m in Canada and I cannot get the game to display in French.

At the moment we have this workaround. On a retail disc when the system language is set to French (Canada), the game only boots in English.
To access the French language, switch the system language to French (France).

I have a problem that is not covered here.

Sony handles all customer support for Until Dawn and they can be contacted online at:
http://www.supermassivegames.com/smg-games/until-dawn/until-dawn-faq/

leng jai

Yeah the voices in the audio mix sound pretty bad but I'm still very early in the game. They're muffled and generally not loud enough.

antitrop

Yeah the voices in the audio mix sound pretty bad but I'm still very early in the game. They're muffled and generally not loud enough.

There was one particular part in one of the end chapters where the sound mixing on the footsteps through the snow is all sorts of fucked up.

Other than that, I think issues with the voice mixing just comes down to the way it was recorded, not necessarily anything you can do about in post.

Elitist1945

There was one particular part in one of the end chapters where the sound mixing on the footsteps through the snow is all sorts of fucked up.

Other than that, I think issues with the voice acting just comes down to the way it was recorded, not necessarily anything you can do about in post.

In the special features section they mentioned that since theres so many choices that change gameplay, they record voices and mo-cap separately.

EDIT: Not sure if thats relevant to the problem here, though.

Just beat the game, and I loved it! Lost only one person early on.
Josh looked like he was turning into a Wendigo and I'm not sure if there's a better ending for him or not.
I'm working to keep them all alive from the episode I lost the character in now and should hopefully get them all to the end tomorrow.

I can't believe how amazing this game was; I was truly not expecting it to be so good. It looked pretty cool, but I never expected it to be this amazing. I can not wait to start a true second playthrough from the very beginning and kill everyone off ;)

leng jai

Other than that, I think issues with the voice mixing just comes down to the way it was recorded, not necessarily anything you can do about in post.

Worst case scenario would be putting the voice volume at max and putting everything else a few notches lower.

In the special features section they mentioned that since theres so many choices that change gameplay, they record voices and mo-cap separately.

EDIT: Not sure if thats relevant to the problem here, though.

I wouldn't be surprised, the animation and voices seem to be slightly off.

Finaika

Is there any way to skip the opening title screen sequence?

The sound is so loud it makes me jump everytime I start playing the game :(

I hope they'll fix the few QTEs where the button prompt appears ridiculously tiny.

I suppose they tried to make it more challenging that way, but they really are challenging enough as it is. I didn't even have time to squint in order to make out which button it was, and fucked up.

Also, one of the trophies (
Mike's fingers
) popped out randomly like 24 hours after I had done what was asked. First time that happens to me on PS4.

Kolgar

Just finished. Absolutely adored the game. Shame about the confusing (misleading?) DLC bonus chapter, though.

I started the game as soon as I got home--didn't have the patience to wait for Best Buy to email me my code--and the bonus chapter is nowhere to be found.

One obnoxious Internet search later and I understand that the bonus material may be some scenes tacked on to the end of Chapter 2? Is that true? If so, LAME.

hydruxo

Just started Chapter 8.
Shit is starting to get real interesting. I'm guessing the real killer is Hannah's ghost? That's just my hunch after the reveal of the psycho.

This game is awesome.

DirtyLarry

GameFly came through and I got the game only 2 days after release, which is pretty damn good for them.

I like it so far. Visuals are impressive. Story is compelling enough that I am interested in continuing to play, but I have really not been scared once yet, and I was hoping perhaps that would be different.

I seriously think the fact I saw The Exorcist in its entirety when I was 6 years old (in 1980) has ruined being scared for me by movies, or in this case games. It is actually comical how still I have been so far on the camera moments.

Chapter 3 just started, so I am assuming, actually hoping, it is just starting up. I want to be scared, I really do, so I hope it eventually delivers.

But as far as this type of game goes, it so far is one of the better ones I have played. As of right now though I am very happy I decided to do a rental. I just could not see me playing this again once I am done. I also have limited time to play these days so that is no doubt a contributing factor. I do not play any games twice. That is just how it is being a Grandpa Gamer.

I do hope it picks up though. I found myself nodding off here and there. Granted it is actually past my bedtime and it is a work night, but I was straight up falling asleep.

It is good. Very good even, but I am not feeling the greatness others seem to be. Again only just started Chapter 3, so hoping it ramps up.

Rixxan

Good luck bro, dont fuck it up

literally stood up with my hands on my head, wife screaming - etc

game is a total blast, the suspense and the weight of some of these decisions are really on another level

highly recommend playing this game with a significant other or a friend or two - just like a campy horror movie, its fun in a group

edit:

also, is it just me - or are there moments in this game that have you guys saying "some of the best visuals i've ever seen"?

i mean wow, not everything is perfect, but some areas in this game really have me squinting at the game and second guessing my reality, shit hits high notes like woah

Trouble

Banned
Just finished it. Gotta say I really enjoyed this game. I don't usually enjoy horror games.

Perfect length for a rental. I got it from Gamefly. As much as I enjoyed it, I don't think I could recommend dropping $60 on it.

Made it to the end with only 1 character dying
Matt
. I did exit and reload twice when a character died because I fucked up QTEs. :p

Someone earlier in the thread suggested they pull an American Horror Story, and just create a new scenario with the same talent.

I'd like that.

But you're right, a direct sequel would be tricky.

I like that idea a lot. A sequel with a Cabin in the Woods-y vibe would be amazing.

Replicant

I haven't even finished the game but I want a brand-new DLC now. It doesn't even have to star the same characters. Maybe a prequel?

I want some moar!!!

carlsojo

literally stood up with my hands on my head, wife screaming - etc

game is a total blast, the suspense and the weight of some of these decisions are really on another level

highly recommend playing this game with a significant other or a friend or two - just like a campy horror movie, its fun in a group

edit:

also, is it just me - or are there moments in this game that have you guys saying "some of the best visuals i've ever seen"?

i mean wow, not everything is perfect, but some areas in this game really have me squinting at the game and second guessing my reality, shit hits high notes like woah

The visual image you gave me made me lol.

Also yeah, this game looks good as hell. They made really, really good use of the Killzone 4 engine.

Elitist1945

i want to buy this game on PSN but im $1 short and im not looking to spend $5 just to refill my account =[

latest

Chairhome

Finished it. Pretty mad that I messed up at the end with a "don't move" QTE when I feel like I really didn't move. Oh well. You can jump in and redo episodes, I'll probably redo the end. Fun game! I need to return my Redbox rental, but seriously thinking about buying it to replay with friends.

LUXURY

I seen photos of the steel book. It's a little disappointing. The letters "Until Dawn" are not even printed onto the case, it's a plastic slipcover. So when you take that off you're left with a grunge blue case with 'PS4' in the top right.

Does the steelbook come with the extra DLC anyone know?

Replicant

I seen photos of the steel book. It's a little disappointing. The letters "Until Dawn" are not even printed onto the case, it's a plastic slipcover. So when you take that off you're left with a grunge blue case with 'PS4' in the top right.

Whaddya mean? The Steelbook is a true representative of what the victim sees when they are bound and gagged while laying face down bleeding in the toilet. >:D

One of the worst Steelbook ever. Nice glossy finish but I prefer the skull design

DirtyLarry

Awesome, I figured it did but glad to hear confirmation. There's no doubt my overall impression can greatly change if this is the case and I do already think it is very good.

Also the don't move bits have been annoying so far, I'm really not moving but it says I am, so for now I've resorted to just laying the controller on the coffee table although I know I'm going to regret it at some point thanks to a button prompt or QTE coming up right after.

alterno69

Banned
Fuck chapter 6
i killed Chris AND Ashley, a totem made me think doing nothing was the way to go, turns out both died lol, i also couldn't save Emily in the mine and chopped Mikes fingers and broke the fucking machete

What a disaster 😂

I don't want it to eeeend

Fuck chapter 6
i killed Chris AND Ashley, a totem made me think doing nothing was the way to go, turns out both died lol, i also couldn't save Emily on the mine and chopped Mikes fingers and broke the fucking machete

What a disaster 😂

I don't want it to eeeend
Was it the part where
you have to choose who to shoot, yourself as Chris or Ashley? Because I did nothing and saved both.

Also is there a list where all the totems are and are they all the same?

alterno69

Banned
Was it the part where
you have to choose who to shoot, yourself as Chris or Ashley? Because I did nothing and saved both.

Also is there a list where all the totems are and are they all the same?

Did you
hear them scream and then the screen fade to black? I didn't actually saw them die so i was hoping maybe they're alive

owlbeak

I played through Chapter 2 on Tuesday night, but I've been getting ready to move, so I decided to hold off playing the rest of the game until I move into a house for the first time ever tomorrow. Playing this by myself in a house is going to be the worst idea. :]

Did you
hear them scream and then the screen fade to black? I didn't actually saw them die so i was hoping maybe they're alive
Keep playing hehe.

- the dlc, can it be purchase separatly from ps store or it only come with the extended edition?
Dont buy it if you dont get it for free. Watch it on youtube or something. Extreme rip-off by Sony.

Just reached chapter 9 before calling it quits.

Just out of curiosity, can someone spoil me about the earliest place/chapter when a character can actually die? I'd appreciate if the character name is left out; mainly curious if (big spoiler)
the game fakes out character deaths until the wendigos are introduced, after Josh is outed
Most of them are faked excluding Jessica and Matt who can die before the wendigo reveal. If they survive they are both written out of the story for quite some time though, so you are mostly correct in your assumption.

hydruxo

Finished it, ended up with
only Sam, Matt, and Chris left. Most of the deaths happened from choices I couldn't have seen coming, which kind of sucks. I wanted Mike and Ashley to live and they died in the explosion at the very end. Jessica ended up dying in the mines while trying to run away with Matt. I was also really bummed when the wolf died in the sanitorium when Mike was trying to escape.
As a whole I loved it and I'd like to replay is someday to try and get everyone to survive.

Kinsei

Banned
Finished it, ended up with
only Sam, Matt, and Chris left. Most of the deaths happened from choices I couldn't have seen coming, which kind of sucks. I wanted Mike and Ashley to live and they died in the explosion at the very end. Jessica ended up dying in the mines while trying to run away with Matt. I was also really bummed when the wolf died in the sanitorium when Mike was trying to escape.
As a whole I loved it and I'd like to replay is someday to try and get everyone to survive.

The explosion is weird. If you don;t have Emily alive at that point you would have no idea that the survivors leave one by one every time you stay in the lodge instead of running to the switch. Jess on the other hand should have been super obvious. You tried to have a limping girl outrun a wendigo.

hydruxo

The explosion is weird. If you don;t have Emily alive at that point you would have no idea that the survivors leave one by one every time you stay in the lodge instead of running to the switch. Jess on the other hand should have been super obvious. You tried to have a limping girl outrun a wendigo.

Yeah I screwed up with Jess, I just didn't think about it when I made that decision haha. Oh well.

Rozart

You should! If you like this game and the idea behind it, buy it. I want a sequel and I want Sony to know it. So hell yes, buy it as soon as possible. I want UNTIL DAWN 2!

Yea I was thinking of getting a second-hand copy of this game but after reading the glowing impressions on here, I'm going to be picking it up full-priced and all. Supermassive games deserve all the success they get.

How does it work when you replay the chapters?

If I go in and save a character who died in Chapter 5, can I then skip to Chapter 8 and he will be back? Or do I have to play from Chapter 5 onward just to have changes carry from chapter to chapter?
Pretty sure you need to keep playing similarly to Heavy Rain.

So I just started this tonight with a friend who came to visit from out of town. This game is fucking amazing. Great atmosphere. There's a lot more freedom to move around the lodge than I thought, too, for some parts. Can't wait to dig in more deeply.

I went ahead and watched this game through YouTube. Kinda feel bad but not really. Honestly felt like I was just watching a movie so no real urge to "play". However, I may rent the game in the future for dem trophies.

Top Bottom