• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

To everyone in this thread: thanks for hiding your spoilers.
I'm doing a single sitting playthrough tomorrow, going in completely blind beyond the launch trailer. Will read back through the tread to compare notes next week. Exciting!

Ended up just pulling the trigger on this last night. Up to chapter
and I'm really enjoying it so far. Already lost one :(

Graphics and atmosphere are amazing

Oh and what does "Motion Control" do to the controls if you're not using the Move or a PS camera -- is it just gyro for the right stick?

Oh! and one more question, are collectibles permanent -- if I select "new story" or the equivalent will it reset Totems and collectibles?

Motion controls mean instead of making decisions with the right stick, you make them by pointing the controller at the decision. There's no PS3 Move support. Collectibles are permanent if you do Episode Select, but if you start a new game you'll lose everything.

Had an odd moment last night. I was hit with a "Don't move" prompt, and it said I failed it, so I held even more still, and failed again. After 6 tries, I finally set the controller on a table and it passed after 2 attempts. Does that feature glitch out sometimes or something? I had no problem other times.

It's a little tricky, you actually have to keep the blue part inside the white lines, so you might have to move it a little if it's drifting or starts out near the edges.

HOLY SHIT

Hahahahaha!

Majanew

Banned
Finally finished my first playthrough. The game screwed me twice on the 'don't move' controller bullshit.
I only kept Mike, Chris and Emily alive. Sam should be alive, but the game pretended I moved.

Elitist1945

Finally finished my first playthrough. The game screwed me twice on the 'don't move' controller bullshit.
I only kept Mike, Chris and Emily alive. Sam should be alive, but the game pretended I moved.

Woah with all these glitch reports
I'm glad I didn't fuck up Sam's movement. My goal was to keep her alive.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Having no saves, no continues, no reloads etc is pretty freaking fresh for me. Always plowing forward and dealing with consequences is pretty exciting. It's like XCom ironman. Except in XCom I have rage quit pulled the cord out the wall to abort a disaster. Haven't done that yet.

El Jaffe

I even put my controller on a flat surface and it still said I moved. Utter BS

Certinty

So the extended edition only includes a code for that extra scene? Pretty weird even the disc says "extended edition" on it then.

N° 2048

So the extended edition only includes a code for that extra scene? Pretty weird even the disc says "extended edition" on it then.

and I got a promo code from Amazon.ca for pre-ordering the regular edition. I guess that turned my edition into the extended one lol

ViciousDS

Banned
I even put my controller on a flat surface and it still said I moved. Utter BS

theres an indicator with an outline at the bottom middle of the screen.......this is why I don't understand why people are having a hard time with it.....you can clearly see it move and you just adjust yourself to stay in the outline.

Unless people are not seeing the indicator lol

antitrop

The game moves the indicator. You gotta readjust.

I don't think it actually moves the indicator on you, it just sends the controller a soft rumble that is just enough to make it not work on a flat surface, without actually holding the controller completely still.

border

theres an indicator with an outline at the bottom middle of the screen.......this is why I don't understand why people are having a hard time with it.....you can clearly see it move and you just adjust yourself to stay in the outline.

Unless people are not seeing the indicator lol

The controls are clearly broken at certain points in the game -- at least for some people.

The very first "Don't Move" with the squirrel would fail every single time unless I turned on motion controls.

The very final "Don't Move" failed immediately when the camera angle switched, resulting in the deaths of 2 characters for me.

ViciousDS

Banned
The controls are clearly broken at certain points in the game -- at least for some people.

The very first "Don't Move" with the squirrel would fail every single time unless I turned on motion controls.

The very final "Don't Move" failed immediately when the camera angle switched, resulting in the deaths of 2 characters for me.

wow....I used traditional on the Squirrel and had no problems.....interesting.

psychotron

wow....I used traditional on the Squirrel and had no problems.....interesting.

Traditional worked for me with the squirrel too, but
When holding the flashlight for Josh
later on, it kept failing over and over.

I'm still absolutely loving the game. The dialogue has had me and my wife laughing several times.

border

As I side note I actually really enjoyed using motion controls for Until Dawn, and I probably never would have done it if the game basically hadn't forced me to do so. It feels much more immersive inspecting totems, and it gives you a certain sense of urgency when unlocking or pushing open doors.

The only downside of motion controls is that you had better be on-point as soon as those aim & shoot QTEs pop up, because you don't really have much time to get used to aiming with motion.

Mine arrived today. Steelbook is pretty nice.

qpL7rAf.jpg

It also came with a download code, so I'm guessing that is for the extra bonus scenes.

GavinUK86

Mine arrived today. Steelbook is pretty nice.

It also came with a download code, so I'm guessing that is for the extra bonus scenes.

Steelbook does look nice but holy hell quote your images they're massive.

I'm nearly done with my second playthrough now, saving everyone and mopping up the couple of collectibles I missed. Looking forward to my third playthrough where I try my hardest to kill everyone.

Steelbook does look nice but holy hell quote your images they're massive.

I'm nearly done with my second playthrough now, saving everyone and mopping up the couple of collectibles I missed. Looking forward to my third playthrough where I try my hardest to kill everyone.

Sorry did it from mobile, they didn't look big on here lol, that should be better now.

Yeah gonna just govwith whatever happens 1st time, then go for perfect run next time. Looking forward to it.

Has anyone compiled all possible deaths in the game yet? I'd love to see them in one go.

Also (don't click spoiler unless you've finished the game, it isn't end game but I still wouldn't recommend it)
What happens if you chose to kill Ashley instead of Josh? How does that change stuff until the reveal?

N° 2048

This is one of those games I just can't see myself selling.

Such a perfect length for any night you just want to run through an interactive horror movie.

Fine job Supermassive.

Had an odd moment last night. I was hit with a "Don't move" prompt, and it said I failed it, so I held even more still, and failed again. After 6 tries, I finally set the controller on a table and it passed after 2 attempts. Does that feature glitch out sometimes or something? I had no problem other times.

I just put it on my desk, I was holding it in my hand and it just randomly drifts upward even when I know Im not moving.

A question for those who've beaten the game. I know u get a chapter select after u beat it. But once I use the chapter select will I have to continue on from that point until I beat the game again. Cause I want to replay some specific parts over again to show some ppl.

GavinUK86

A question for those who've beaten the game. I know u get a chapter select after u beat it. But once I use the chapter select will I have to continue on from that point until I beat the game again. Cause I want to replay some specific parts over again to show some ppl.

Yeah, when you select a chapter to replay it basically puts your autosave right there.

How do you
save Josh in the mines or is it too late at that point?
Josh can only die or become a wendigo. Depends on if you find Hannah's diary close to where Josh is (left side of the waterwheel)

I wonder if it's sold really well, or if Sony was just way too conservative with stock.
Seems like Sony didnt believe in it and its now biting them in the ass.

The game moves the indicator. You gotta readjust.
For some people it worked to put it on a flat surface. I think the calibration can be a bit wonky.

Anung

Un Rama
So many memorable lines, especially towards the end.

Emily is probably the least likable character, yet has the best line in the entire game.

I can't remember the line now (something to do with Palms?) but yeah the game is great and quite funny.

So many memorable lines, especially towards the end.

Emily is probably the least likable character, yet has the best line in the entire game.
I loved Emily. Sure she is a bitch, but mostly she had a good reason to (Matt is a tool) and she was pretty strong as well during the extended The Descent segment and cared about Hannah and Beth. I dunno, I liked here.

Has anyone compiled all possible deaths in the game yet? I'd love to see them in one go.

Also (don't click spoiler unless you've finished the game, it isn't end game but I still wouldn't recommend it)
What happens if you chose to kill Ashley instead of Josh? How does that change stuff until the reveal?
All deaths were hilarious in Heavy Rain, hopefully its as cool here. As for your question,
the device is rigged and always "kills" Josh.

Finished this yesterday, what a fantastic game, full storyline spoilers :

I think my favorite portion of the game was Mike in the Sanitarium for the first time. It had an old school Resident Evil vibe to it and that's something I missed dearly. The storyline was great, classic horror stuff. I figured early that Josh had to be involved in someway, so I chose to kill him to see what would happen, even after his guts fell out I thought something was odd. My only real death in the early game was Matt, killed by a Wendigo. I thought it was fair, there were a number of things i could have done differently to avoid it, though i did feel a little misled by the totem showing Emily giving him the flair gun, I missed the extra step of disagreeing with her over going to the fire tower.

I made the mistake of immediately flipping the switch at the end and killing Ashley, Emily and Mike in the process. At first I was a little peeved, as I didn't think the game made it very clear you would be killing most of your friends. But the more I thought about it, the early game totems gave plenty of warning ( I had one showing Emily dying in the blast and another showing Mike using the lighter to trigger the explosion.) If I thought it through for a second, I would have chosen to help Mike instead, but I made a mistake and paid for it dearly, I guess that's the name of the game.

Speaking of the totem system, I really liked it, especially the death and loss ones, it gave a sense of impending doom and I like how the "payoff" of a lot of them didn't occur until hours later.

Overall, I like this game a ton. I'm not sure how much choice there actually is, and how much is an illusion, but I had to have missed dialog with Matt, and I actually like that a lot. My choices had visible consequences and the developer wasn't concerned with making sure I got to see EVERYTHING they modeled, which led to a unique experience. Grade A stuff.

ViciousDS

Banned

It's more linear than you think

only one thing can save or kill a person no matter what you do on the other decisions......its actually kind of disappointing knowing the single actions that can basically save everyone. But its not some heavy mess of decisions like everyone thought it was going to be. Chris and Jessica are the only two that require more than 1 action to be completed to survive.....its.....2 actions :/

ShyMel

Just finished my first play through. In the end,
only Sam, Josh, and Matt surived. I lost Ashley by not going with the group, Jessica by running instead of hiding, and Mike and Emily by using the light instantly.
Will replay asap as I love this game.

hbkdx12

Can't wait to jump into today after work.

There's a lot of high praise going around.

Do people like it because they had little to no expectations for the game/genre or does the game genuinely stand toe to toe with other great games that have been released recently?

So after finishing this, if I start another 'new story' all collectibles are reset?

If I play an episode for chapter select, and I make some changes different to my first play through, do those changes continue for all of the subsequent chapters - even if I go straight to the last one? Or do you have to play them in consecutive order, otherwise the choices will be the original ones?

I'll probably play 'new story' a few more times before I do a mopping-up run if the chapters don't adjust.

Do people like it because they had little to no expectations for the game/genre or does the game genuinely stand toe to toe with other great games that have been released recently?

I loved it because it's a great game - granted I love horror, Heavy Rain, Telltale games etc. so I'm the target market - but it is just so well done, that I can't stop thinking about it. I don't know how anyone else can top it, but I hope they try.

Little expectations surely helped a great deal, but inside its genre (interactive story), its almost as forward driving as Heavy Rain was. Truly a great entry into that genre.

Top Bottom