• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Korezo

Beat the game and only had one death, I don't feel like playing it again though even though I thought it was great. Thinking of having to go through the cut scenes again on another playthrough feels like it going to be tedious on another play through.

Finished my first playthroughs, got my first deaths in chapter 9. :( was hoping to save everyone. First
ashley, then Josh, Mike and Sam.

How do you
save Josh in the mines or is it too late at that point?

And
Ashley's
death could've been avoidable.
let's go investigate the strange, spooky sound by ourselves.

Nuke Soda

Beat it, really liked it. Hope we get sequels.

I am ashamed of my survivor count.
Most easily avoidable death that I screwed up was
with poor Ashley in the mines, I followed the voice and I opened the trap door. Do not open the trap door.

GSR

Chapter 4 - I was spoiled on what was going to happen and I still
got Josh killed. Tried looking around the back of the shack but all there was was a totem (there were doors but no prompt to open them.)
Wonder what actually could have made a difference there.

carlsojo

with poor Ashley in the mines, I followed the voice and I opened the trap door. Do not open the trap door.

Did the exact same thing.
It got me because the scene before it was Jessica waking up and starting to wander the mines. I remembered that the Wendigos could mimic humans from Flamethrower guy's journal, but I decided to call the game's bluff because I thought I could save Jess. It scared the shit out of me too.

It got me because the scene before it was Jessica waking up and starting to wander the mines. I remembered that the Wendigos could mimic humans from Flamethrower guy's journal, but I decided to call the game's bluff because I thought I could save Jess. It scared the shit out of me too.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Ants

Started playing this for the first time with the gf today. We'll probably get another session in in a couple days. Got to the
ouija board
in... Chapter 3? I think? Whatever 8 hours remaining is.

Gotta say, this game exceeds expectations. I was worried it'd be schlock like Quantic Dreams' games but it's actually kind of amazing. I feel a real sense of control over the events. Even if it's an illusion, at least the illusion is actually there. The mechanics are pretty compelling.

I don't know if this question can be answered without spoilers but I'm curious about the stats/social links. Is the goal to raise the stats as high as possible (they all seem like good traits) as well as the S. Links or is it to remain "in character"? I've kind of beein min/maxing where if a character is, say, dishonest and brave to start with, i'll tank their honesty to 0 and raise their braveness more or less wherever possible.

Nuke Soda

As soon as I made my decision I remembered the mention of mimicry from the journal.

Corpekata

Banned
Started playing this for the first time with the gf today. We'll probably get another session in in a couple days. Got to the
ouija board
in... Chapter 3? I think? Whatever 8 hours remaining is.

Gotta say, this game exceeds expectations. I was worried it'd be schlock like Quantic Dreams' games but it's actually kind of amazing. I feel a real sense of control over the events. Even if it's an illusion, at least the illusion is actually there. The mechanics are pretty compelling.

I don't know if this question can be answered without spoilers but I'm curious about the stats/social links. Is the goal to raise the stats as high as possible (they all seem like good traits) as well as the S. Links or is it to remain "in character"? I've kind of beein min/maxing where if a character is, say, dishonest and brave to start with, i'll tank their honesty to 0 and raise their braveness more or less wherever possible.

I don't think they really affect that much. I think it might affect little things, like how characters react to a character that's supposed to be brave always being cautious. Small dialogue. There is at least one major moment affected by character relationships.

carlsojo

So hyped to play this with the wife later today!!

I usually hate horror, and I HATE jump scares, but I can't wait to play this.

Buy a PS4 Camera while you're at it so we can see just how much you hate the jump scares! It will apparently automatically record you during these moments.

Neil_J_UK

Buy a PS4 Camera while you're at it so we can see just how much you hate the jump scares! It will apparently automatically record you during these moments.

Hahaha really? I have a PS4 Camera that I've never used (got it with the console) so I may have to hook it up.

Just got to Chapter 5. Loving this game so far, but oh my goodness is it nerve-wracking.

Same for me actually and I completely agree, actually had to take some breaks couple of times and take off my headphones. That atmosphere and tension is something else. Can't wait to continue today from Chapter 5 and I don't think it's gonna get any easier from here on out.

eerik9000

Good to see it's been a success reviews and reception wise, hoping the financial side will be equally good. Sony needs to sign Supermassive for a new project as soon as possible. Just imagine the improvements based on everything they've learned from making Until Dawn (they're a new studio, first big project), sans the development hell of moving from PS3/Move to PS4, more complex Butterfly Effect system, updated Horizon: Zero Dawn engine (UD uses Shadowfall engine), etc.

Pachimari

It's like the Extended Edition is nowhere to be found here in Denmark.

I can already tell Mike is gonna be my favorite, just because he is motherf* Grant Ward from S.H.I.E.L.D.!

Lime

It's like the Extended Edition is nowhere to be found here in Denmark.

I can already tell Mike is gonna be my favorite, just because he is motherf* Grant Ward from S.H.I.E.L.D.!

Digital edition is automatically the extended edition on Danish PSN.

Ended up finishing my first playthrough. I really liked the experience but not sure how I feel about the game overall. I thought the controls sucked, and the qte repitition was kind of annoying. "Oh, I'm climbing something again? Here comes another QTE." I was also kind of bummed about the story, it annoyed me that it was like they could never decide on a type of horror the game wanted to be. Slasher? Neh Ghost story, now Saw! How about Final Destination? It made some twists and other things kind of cheap because at any point everything could have just changed or been a lie.

The stuff with Josh really annoyed me. Everything you thought up to this point was all made up and it makes sense because he's the child of a movie director!
Bleh. I liked the experience though, so I'm mostly just nitpicking.
I ended up with Sam, Jess and Emily living oddly even though I hated Jess and Emily. I got to the last chapter or so with everyone alive but Chris and Matt, but then everyone started dying left and right because of failed QTE's basically(which also felt cheap), besides Matt who died in the explosion. I'm interested in playing it again, but see myself only playing it one more time.

Sjefen

I saw some lets play videos
from Pewdipie :-0
playing Until Dawn, and are intrigued. It looks amazing and looks like is has a lot of replayability. Only negative is the jump scares, Im no fan off horror games. Wish I was, after seeing the game in action.....

nib95

Banned
So Amazon UK has sold out of this. Only third party merchants carrying it now. Glad I ordered this yesterday whilst they still had stock lol. Though for some reason even with Prime it's arriving tomorrow instead of today :(

I wonder if it's sold really well, or if Sony was just way too conservative with stock.

The one death I had that I was actually mad at was
with Matt. I was stupidly trying to take a drink when it went to a cutscene after walking through the deer and panicked when a prompt came up and stupidly started swinging the axe. If I was paying attention I would have never swung, why now start attacking the deer when they were letting me walk through perfectly fine just before? Trying to take a drink while playing was an absolute nightmare during this game.

Anung

Un Rama
There's only one thing I think this game needs as an option. A 90's VHS screen filter. The game already gives me Goosebumps/X-files vibes so having that filter as an option would be amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Like 10 minutes? It's nothing important really.

It doesn't seem very important but personally the way it's pulled out of the game really bugged me and is super obvious.
Matt and Emily are just gone for a huuuuge chunk of the game while you go back and forth from Mike/Jess, Josh/Sam, Chris/Ashley and they just show up again later after the saw with no context of wtf they've been doing the whole time. It added character building and context that really feels missing.

Corpekata

Banned
It doesn't seem very important but personally the way it's pulled out of the game really bugged me and is super obvious.
Matt and Emily are just gone for a huuuuge chunk of the game while you go back and forth from Mike/Jess, Josh/Sam, Chris/Ashley and they just show up again later after the saw with no context of wtf they've been doing the whole time. It added character building and context that really feels missing.

I thought it was kind of redundant and awkwardly placed in the game.
We go from one couple trekking through the snow to another couple trekking through the snow. They all make a bunch of terrible sex jokes. The girl is a bit bitchy, the guy is horny. It feels like something you'd see in a deleted scenes section of a DVD because they realized the stories were too similar.

Already posted my spoiler opinion on the spoiler thread, just wanted to add a spoiler free one here.

Beat it with a friend yesterday on one setting and it was an amazing experience. If you are over the hedge just jump it and get it, its a great game.
Didnt like the order, or any of the david cage games. Thought TWD for telltale was lackluster when I discovered the trick that the choices didnt matter. Supermassive games did finally what had to be done with this type of cimenematic games.

The only thing I didnt like are the super fast and tiny quicktime events and shitty "dont move" segments, because they didnt work correctly. When death was done by player choice it had a much better feeling, even if your character died, more than becuase you failed a shitty qte.

Kuraudo

Banned
Just tried to redeem my DLC on PSN and it seemed to go through okay, but didn't give me a download link. Nothing's showing in my download list and there are no additional items in the game menu, but in the library it dows say there's one add-on. Is this what's meant to happen?

I just dont like the shooting parts of the game, aiming feels so wonky.

Also some of the choices for what people pick are so unbalanced.
CNdXfRhU8AAQTZ7.jpg:large

#TeamJosh

N° 2048

Holy shit what a fun game, doing the first run through co op ( just hand each other controller randomly ).

Making choices together is fun.

Roussow

I just dont like the shooting parts of the game, aiming feels so wonky.

Also some of the choices for what people pick are so unbalanced.

#TeamJosh

I think the framerate is a touch sketchy on the aiming sections, that's what it felt like to me, I didn't mind in the rest of the game, but when you're panning the camera around quickly trying to aim without assist it's quite obvious.

I never knew they had the percentages on choices, that's awesome -- I'll have to turn it on for my second playthrough.

The only thing I didnt like are the super fast and tiny quicktime events and shitty "dont move" segments, because they didnt work correctly. When death was done by player choice it had a much better feeling, even if your character died, more than becuase you failed a shitty qte.

It took me a while to realize, but it's not just not moving the controller -- the little white outline around the DS4 light icon is your boundary, so you can aim it a little in the middle of the event, to keep it best centered, if you see it start to creep in one direction you can edge it back, it takes a lot of finesse to get down, but it's works marvelously.

Oh and what does "Motion Control" do to the controls if you're not using the Move or a PS camera -- is it just gyro for the right stick?

Oh! and one more question, are collectibles permanent -- if I select "new story" or the equivalent will it reset Totems and collectibles?

psychotron

Had an odd moment last night. I was hit with a "Don't move" prompt, and it said I failed it, so I held even more still, and failed again. After 6 tries, I finally set the controller on a table and it passed after 2 attempts. Does that feature glitch out sometimes or something? I had no problem other times.

My plan for the weekend, Until Dawn. Played till chapter 5 so far and can't wait to continue. Probably will play couple of chapters tonight and then wife plays the same. This game is as much fun to watch as to play yourself.

Kinsei

Banned
Holy shit what a fun game, doing the first run through co op ( just hand each other controller randomly ).

Making choices together is fun.

I feel like the best way to play this co-op is getting a group of friends together and each of you take control of a specific character. Bonus points if you rent a cabin in the woods.

Papercuts

I thought it was kind of redundant and awkwardly placed in the game.
We go from one couple trekking through the snow to another couple trekking through the snow. They all make a bunch of terrible sex jokes. The girl is a bit bitchy, the guy is horny. It feels like something you'd see in a deleted scenes section of a DVD because they realized the stories were too similar.

Yeah, I can see that. Personally I think they're the 2 weakest characters so far(currently at chapter 8) but I still was offput on
them leaving the lodge to find their bags and never seeing them until after Chris/Ashely have that saw scene, they run out and just kinda run into them.
Just felt like it was too long spent having zero mention of them otherwise.

Yeah, I can see that. Personally I think they're the 2 weakest characters so far(currently at chapter 8) but I still was offput on
them leaving the lodge to find their bags and never seeing them until after Chris/Ashely have that saw scene, they run out and just kinda run into them.
Just felt like it was too long spent having zero mention of them otherwise.

Wait,
you didn't have a sequence with them going to the cart lift and ending up on the cliff where Hannah and Beth first fell?

So my girlfriend is hooked to this game like it was a controlled substance now and we had an epic plot analysis after she beat it for the first time. She went right back to playing it to do the exact opposite choices to see how it all plays out.

"Yes....Yes... good.... get me those trophies I missed...."

Papercuts

Wait,
you didn't have a sequence with them going to the cart lift and ending up on the cliff where Hannah and Beth first fell?

I did but it was more recent. They basically vanish for a long time if you don't have the DLC
so you never have the scene of those two getting the bags. So when they leave the lodge early on, you don't see them again at all until the part you mention.

KorrZ

Oh. nice to see you around here. Enjoying UD?

Liking it a lot so far! I think I'm nearing the end as I couldn't help but play a ton last night.

Are you enjoying it yourself? It's a nice way to take my mind off the MGSV wait...

I did but it was more recent. They basically vanish for a long time if you don't have the DLC
so you never have the scene of those two getting the bags. So when they leave the lodge early on, you don't see them again at all until the part you mention.

Ah, ok. Guess I was confused. Didn't feel terribly long for, but it's kind of a fog because I blew through it in two long settings.

Finished the game last night with a friend. Shamefully enough, we ended with only two survivors (
Mike and Chris
). All the deaths except for one happened when my friend was playing though, so I'm going to place the blame squarely on her.

But yeah, what a surprisingly great game. And that's coming from somebody who hates horror stuff.

Ok just got to the
lodge with Chris and I'm searching for a can of spray I guess? I searched the entire house and ran into Sam again, but that was it. Did I miss the can somewhere?

Top Bottom