• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

So after finishing this, if I start another 'new story' all collectibles are reset?

If I play an episode for chapter select, and I make some changes different to my first play through, do those changes continue for all of the subsequent chapters - even if I go straight to the last one? Or do you have to play them in consecutive order, otherwise the choices will be the original ones?

I'll probably play 'new story' a few more times before I do a mopping-up run if the chapters don't adjust.

Replaying episodes allows you to get collectibles you missed the first time through. But I'm not sure on how the overwriting of your progress for the episode works. During a run I did the other night, I chose replay from the beginning and got near the last few chapters, saw a few cut scenes during the "previously on until dawn" part for a chapter that weren't there the first time I played through and unfortunately got to a point in that chapter where I killed a character. I tried reloading the existing chapter I was on to try again and I didn't see the extra cutscenes again. Looks like it loaded an auto save of my first playthrough of that chapter instead. Even when going back a further chapter, looks like it was also still an auto save of my first playthrough instead of what my new progress should have been. :(

Thankfully my complete new story playthrough led to my save everyone run. New story will reset all collectibles (butterfly effects, clues, totems) but I was able to get a good majority of them during my new playthrough.

My next playthrough will probably be my kill everyone run. :)

partime

This game is so great! I can't believe I decided to
fall off the cliff at the beginning! It did look like a steep drop, but geez the fall was brutal!

I love all the internal conflicts, the 'she likes him', the jump scares, the clear graphics. Something like this is so refreshing for a horror genre.

BiggNife

anyone know if the patch re-enabled twitch archiving or is that coming later? I saw the post on the UD site that said it was done by accident and they're working on a fix.

Can't wait to jump into today after work.

There's a lot of high praise going around.

Do people like it because they had little to no expectations for the game/genre or does the game genuinely stand toe to toe with other great games that have been released recently?
My expectations were semi-low but I genuinely think it's a good game and having done 4 separate playthroughs I think even better of it. I love the foreshadowing. I love the setting.

It's biggest accomplishment, depending on how you play them, is that most of the characters have a pretty nice arc or change that isn't something that usually happens in the horror genre. You're put in to this setting and these people make a really bad first impression (only one or two really comes out of the opening unscathed). You don't like them. Then, by, the end you're likely to feel strongly about a few of them or more so that their potential death is more than just shock value.

It is also the first of these types of games that I wasn't fighting or hating the controls and actually enjoyed playing.

Dragon

Banned
It's more linear than you think

only one thing can save or kill a person no matter what you do on the other decisions......its actually kind of disappointing knowing the single actions that can basically save everyone. But its not some heavy mess of decisions like everyone thought it was going to be. Chris and Jessica are the only two that require more than 1 action to be completed to survive.....its.....2 actions :/

That's not true at all. Ashley for instance, can be killed at the end, she can also be killed by the wendigo mimicking as well

So how many endings are there? I heard something ridiculous like 256?
Nah, thats just PR. There is one central ending and then small variations depending on who died/lived. How you arrive at the deaths is the most interesting part. 256 endings probably counts every single combination of events separately, even if most of them result in the same thing.

I think the game feels significantly different when everyone has survived versus getting everyone killed. Then you have variations of those in-between. The changes in how it plays out are more about how the characters interact with each other and the decisions you make there.

Replaying episodes allows you to get collectibles you missed the first time through. But I'm not sure on how the overwriting of your progress for the episode works. During a run I did the other night, I chose replay from the beginning and got near the last few chapters, saw a few cut scenes during the "previously on until dawn" part for a chapter that weren't there the first time I played through and unfortunately got to a point in that chapter where I killed a character. I tried reloading the existing chapter I was on to try again and I didn't see the extra cutscenes again. Looks like it loaded an auto save of my first playthrough of that chapter instead. Even when going back a further chapter, looks like it was also still an auto save of my first playthrough instead of what my new progress should have been. :(

Thankfully my complete new story playthrough led to my save everyone run. New story will reset all collectibles (butterfly effects, clues, totems) but I was able to get a good majority of them during my new playthrough.

My next playthrough will probably be my kill everyone run. :)

Cheers for that. I think I'll not get hung up on gathering collectibles for this game, I'll just keep replaying the full story every now and again. It feels wrong to just pile through it for a trophy.

I stopped playing now it's dark :( don't want nightmares.

Kinda freaky with great atmosphere. I'm only early but I'm not sure I can play much the game for hours at a time. Certainly more of a play a little then come back later for me.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's not true at all. Ashley for instance, can be killed at the end, she can also be killed by the wendigo mimicking as well

ah....sorry

she has only two places to die as well

When her and Josh are tied up ready to be sliced by the saw blades, sacrifice Josh. In episode nine, there is an option for her to investigate voices or follow the group. Opt to stay with the group to ensure she lives.

that's all it takes to save her......THATS IT....you don't choose those two simple options....she dies, see what I mean? All those choices and two ultimately decides whether she lives or dies....just like everyone else.

Stike

ah....sorry

When her and Josh are tied up ready to be sliced by the saw blades, sacrifice Josh. In episode nine, there is an option for her to investigate voices or follow the group. Opt to stay with the group to ensure she lives.

that's all it takes to save her......THATS IT....you don't choose those two simple options....she dies, see what I mean? All those choices and two ultimately decides whether she lives or dies....just like everyone else.

Nope, Ashley
died in the gas explosion in my ending. The description in the butterfly effect screen says that Emily didn't like her, so she pushed her aside when trying to escape the explosion, thus killing Ashley

ViciousDS

Banned
Nope, Ashley
died in the gas explosion in my ending. The description in the butterfly effect screen says that Emily didn't like her, so she pushed her aside when trying to escape the explosion, thus killing Ashley

You must have
investigated the noise because my Emily, Ashley relationship was dreadful by the end as well.

I'm going to go through on douche bag lol and see if it effects anything

Nope, Ashley

Did you see Ashley escape while hiding with Sam? You need to hide, pass all QTEs with Sam and see your friends leave to ensure their survival. Emily also pushed Ashley in my game but that was when Sam and Mike were headed to the basement.

ViciousDS

Banned
Did you see Ashley escape while hiding with Sam? You need to hide, pass all QTEs with Sam and see your friends leave to ensure their survival. Emily also pushed Ashley in my game but that was when Sam and Mike were headed to the basement.

Ah, yes forgot about that last event sequence where you basically could kill everyone. Hide hide hide is a must

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I killed everyone my first run, and I felt weird because all the qte prompts were sooo easy to pull off that just sitting through them or jerking the controller when you're supposed to freeze were making them look trivial to pull off if I was trying to save them. Do they just ramp up if you get them right initially? Or are people not playing with button prompts and doing all motion controls instead?

GavinUK86

I killed everyone my first run, and I felt weird because all the qte prompts were sooo easy to pull off that just sitting through them or jerking the controller when you're supposed to freeze were making them look trivial to pull off if I was trying to save them. Do they just ramp up if you get them right initially? Or are people not playing with button prompts and doing all motion controls instead?

Well, they are QTE's, not sure how difficult they could be.

I had a hard time with the final Don't Move segments. Had to use a carpet. No, I'm not jerking the controller or doing any heavy movements. It might be a controller calibration issue or I suck.

Also, major spoilers
I just remembered that after Jess falls down the elevator shaft, Mike's opinion of Josh goes down. I don't know if this was a glitch or not, but it definitely made me more suspicious of the dude.

Well if you killed them all early by missing QTEs then you probably missed the instances where they can die by choice. Most deaths seem to either occur there or by missing one of the holding still prompts, not necessarily by missing the normal QTEs.

Bate

Second to last chapter I guess:
Down in the mines, after descending into the tunnels, there was a scream and the option to go after the scream or to catch up to the group. Normally you have some time to make a decision but the game seemingly chose instantly for me. Is that normal or did my controller freak out on me? I really wanted to follow that voice. I have my suspicion who that was.

ah....sorry

Actually if you "choose" her, it still "kills" Josh.

So played 1st few hours and I'm loving it so far. The graphics, sound and voice acting are top notch and the character models are eerily realistic.

Not sure how this playthrough is going to play out but gonna enjoy finding out how things unfold.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Rami Maleks model is amazingly close to real life it's scary ha as is the analyst guy who's name I forget.
I agree
Ward (sorry for his real name) is good too.
My brother ask me what I was watching lol
The close ups( when you leave ya character idle) are god-like in terms of realisam.
Graphics are fantastic, and the game is very gripping, can't get enough.

Kinsei

Banned
Shame man and emily was such a class act like
when we were running out of the house and she shoves ashley into the door

Ashley tried to get her killed. I'd do the same thing. How the hell do you even make the jump from becoming a cannibal turns you into a wendigo to being bitten turns you into a wendigo?

Bollocks

haha not even 5m in
and 2 people already died on me :D
But I guess I couldn't prevent their deaths, otherwise the story wouldn't make sense?

JonnyKong

Lol. She was the only character that I
actively tried to make sure died. When she survived the watchtower falling down after Matt ditched her I was amazed haha.

Oh man you kidding me? That's where I thought I killed her haha. As soon as the opportunity came up to either save myself or her I was like, bye bitch.

Does anybody know if there are plans to release the soundtrack to this game? It's so well done and I would love to purchase it. A physical copy would be fantastic.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh man you kidding me? That's where I thought I killed her haha. As soon as the opportunity came up to either save myself or her I was like, bye bitch.

She miraculously survives the fall by holding onto something. There are other opportunities to get her killed though after that. Matt also isn't 100% safe that that point either, you have to get through one last sequence with him.

Played through the whole thing with my wife today. Amazing, amazing experience. We ended up with only
the love triangle characters left (Mike, Matt, Emily)
. This was despite trying to be careful and trying to get nobody else killed in the last 3 chapters but shit started to get real.

Loved the
Twist where Josh turned out to be the psycho
. My wife was devastated when she thought she killed him in the
saw scenario
only to find out
he faked it!
. Also the part when she chose for
sam to shoot himself
got her as well.

All in all fantastic experience. Only annoyance was we had a couple of unnecessary deaths when the
don't move thing fucked us up... We were sure neither of us moved...
but not enough to ruin the experience.

It's a game I feel everybody must experience at least once, even if you don't normally play games like this or don't even play games at all. This is something else and completely blurs the line between games and TV shows/movies.

I'm just disappointed that Sony didn't get the marketing right on this one and didn't even market it enough. I fear it will end up being a cult hit and won't sell as much as it deserves to. This is a gamechanger IMO.

We need more games like this. There are so many other genres other than horror that this could suit well.

I think the framerate is a touch sketchy on the aiming sections, that's what it felt like to me, I didn't mind in the rest of the game, but when you're panning the camera around quickly trying to aim without assist it's quite obvious.

I never knew they had the percentages on choices, that's awesome -- I'll have to turn it on for my second playthrough.

It took me a while to realize, but it's not just not moving the controller -- the little white outline around the DS4 light icon is your boundary, so you can aim it a little in the middle of the event, to keep it best centered,
if you see it start to creep in one direction you can edge it back, it takes a lot of finesse to get down, but it's works marvelously.

Oh and what does "Motion Control" do to the controls if you're not using the Move or a PS camera -- is it just gyro for the right stick?

Oh! and one more question, are collectibles permanent -- if I select "new story" or the equivalent will it reset Totems and collectibles?

Nah, its bullshit and super badly explained. Same with the "gyro" controls for shooting. I love them in Splatoon, here they are just broken shit.
We are going dual sticks for the next playthorugh, thats for sure. Too bad about the table thing aparently not working, because the readjusting thing is really bad gameplay, even more when it can bea a party group game where you are constantly passing the controller around but it needs to be perfectly calibrated with the front of the console or if nit it works wonkly.

i thought we were supposed to also get a demo? would love to try before buy.
A missed opportunity as Heavy Rains demo worked extremely well. I think the same was true for TWD actually, these type of games seem to demo rather well. If you like this genre at least somewhat and take no issue with horror cliches this game should be up your alley though.

Second to last chapter I guess:
Down in the mines, after descending into the tunnels, there was a scream and the option to go after the scream or to catch up to the group. Normally you have some time to make a decision but the game seemingly chose instantly for me. Is that normal or did my controller freak out on me? I really wanted to follow that voice. I have my suspicion who that was.
Not normal no. Guess the game messed up there.

Done for the night and it's 5 am in the game so dawn isn't too far.

One of my earlier hunches turned out to be true
Josh was shady as fuck.

So far, the casualties are
Matt. I gave him the flare gun like that totem suggested but his dumb ass fired the flare, so he got fucked.

And poor wolfie died when I chose not to barricade and the Wendigoes attacked Mike. Mike looks dead except there was a fade to black before he died so I'm not writing him off yet.
I finally saw Jess get up and then it cut to the others, that's when we called it a night.

I've been liking the whole experience a lot so far and am curious to see where the chips will fall tomorrow when we finish the game.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh and I forgot to mention, graphically this game was astounding. There were moments when we genuinely forgot we were playing a video game. Shit looked real. The killzone engine is a beast. They nailed the atmosphere.

You are also doing yourself a disservice if you are not playing this game with some form of surround sound. The sound is amazing.

Shame man and emily was such a class act like
when we were running out of the house and she shoves ashley into the door
That didnt happen for me,
despite Emily being pissed at Ashley. She and Mike acted like idiots though.

You will be glad, as she
has a cool The Descent segment coming up. Warmed up to her during that.

Top Bottom