• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Mordeccai

God dammit. Before tonight, everybody in my play through was alive.

After tonight's session, so many people dead, I was priding myself on the fact that I'd kept them going but shit. I don't even know what I'd done wrong, damn you butterfly effect!

Super stoaked to give this a second playthrough, on chapter 7 now and already thinking about the next run.

I love how there's a blend of so many movie tropes in this game. It's an amalgamation of horror awesomeness. Playing this shit at 2AM with virtual surround sound head phones and in the pitch black has been great fun.

God dammit. Before tonight, everybody in my play through was alive.

After tonight's session, so many people dead, I was priding myself on the fact that I'd kept them going but shit. I don't even know what I'd done wrong, damn you butterfly effect!

Super stoaked to give this a second playthrough, on chapter 7 now and already thinking about the next run.

I love how there's a blend of so many movie tropes in this game. It's an amalgamation of horror awesomeness. Playing this shit at 2AM with virtual surround sound head phones and in the pitch black has been great fun.
Every post that talks about people being excited for another playthrough of this type of game is the biggest praise you can give something like this.

Chapter 7? Best is yet to come. :)

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This happened during my first playthrough as well. Apparently, you have to
be reluctant about going to the radio tower for Matt not to fire the gun.
You can also survive by just
choosing to jump to safety instead of trying to save Emily.

Ahhhh interesting.

Yeah playing in the dark at 3AM with headphones... I've got some camera captures that make me look like such a pussy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it earlier today and fucked up real bad at the end.

Jessica died early on but everyone else was fine. Josh got his head crushed by a Wendigo, and I ran with Sam which blew up Mike/Emily/Ashley. Sam and Chris got out, and Matt also survived...but jesus.

I loved Emily. Sure she is a bitch, but mostly she had a good reason to (Matt is a tool) and she was pretty strong as well during the extended The Descent segment and cared about Hannah and Beth. I dunno, I liked here.

All deaths were hilarious in Heavy Rain, hopefully its as cool here. As for your question,
the device is rigged and always "kills" Josh.

It's more linear than you think

only one thing can save or kill a person no matter what you do on the other decisions......its actually kind of disappointing knowing the single actions that can basically save everyone. But its not some heavy mess of decisions like everyone thought it was going to be. Chris and Jessica are the only two that require more than 1 action to be completed to survive.....its.....2 actions :/

Thanks guys, a bit disappointing I guess but to be expected. They needed some sort of standard plot or it wouldn't be quite so good. I'm close to the end now - aiming to finish it later.

Finished it with 4 deaths.

Wolfie
Ashley
Matt
Josh
(in order of importance)

I might just as well restart from very early if I want to save everyone and hunt all the missing collectibles.

Loved the game but in retrospect, it doesn't look like you have much more agency than in the usual "choice" games.

Also, except for
awesome action hero Mike
, I thought all the guys are kind of shit while all the girls range from okay to awesome.

I'm currently only at chapter 5 and reading all these impressions makes me even more excited to continue my game tonight. Happy to see so many people really loving this. Been completely avoiding all the spoilers so far and intend to do so till the end. Also I've been really taking my time with the game and I'm sure my overall playthrough time will be close to 9-10 hours.

JonnyKong

Unfortunately as I'm going on holiday soon and desperately need some spending money, I'll be selling this as soon as I've completed it. I don't mind though, with these types of games I accept my first play through as my game.

I can understand why some of you will want to do another play through, but I don't think I could be bothered to sit through all the (mostly) same dialogue, playing out the same scenes again. There won't be any shocks or surprises in the plot either. I'd rather just move onto another game personally.

Guys, I'm a dirty cheater. Every time I made a choice where something bad happened, I just exited the game and did it over again. Realizing how stupid that was, as your decisions are the entire premise of the game.

I got two of my people killed and i did the exact same thing

I can understand why some of you will want to do another play through, but I don't think I could be bothered to sit through all the (mostly) same dialogue, playing out the same scenes again. There won't be any shocks or surprises in the plot either. I'd rather just move onto another game personally.

I want to go in it again to show some other people

Stike

The shock-moment-camera-feature is a great idea, but my attention to the "recording" red light of the camera just a second before the jump scare has killed almost all of those moments for me :-/

So I just finished a playthrough of this game...it was a redbox rental, but I kinda wanna buy it so I could play it more lol. Was pretty good.

So my deaths were
Matt, Jess, and Josh
I can easily see what I could have done differently for
Matt
, but I'm honestly not sure what I could have done differently for the others. I kept hoping for more closure on
what exactly happened with Hannah and Beth, I mean, I have a vague idea...I'm thinking Hannah survived, and maybe became a cannibal and ate Beth? I don't know. I'm still not exactly sure how she became a Wendigo, but it was obvious that Hannah was, because you see her tattoo on the one who crushed Josh's head for me

putarorex

Bought this this morning and put a couple hours into it. I am enjoying it but forgot about censorship in Japan. They went the cheap route and just show a black screen during the gory parts.

So I just finished a playthrough of this game...it was a redbox rental, but I kinda wanna buy it so I could play it more lol. Was pretty good.

So my deaths were
Matt, Jess, and Josh
Matt
, but I'm honestly not sure what I could have done differently for the others. I kept hoping for more closure on
what exactly happened with Hannah and Beth, I mean, I have a vague idea...I'm thinking Hannah survived, and maybe became a cannibal and ate Beth? I don't know. I'm still not exactly sure how she became a Wendigo, but it was obvious that Hannah was, because you see her tattoo on the one who crushed Josh's head for me

Remember to look at the screen with the butterflies to learn how u messed up.

GHG

Gold Member

So my deaths were
Matt, Jess, and Josh
Matt

If you find more of the collectibles and clues it explains everything.

The Wendigo is a spiritual creature. The spirit is released when a Wendigo dies and seeks to find a new host - usually someone who is vulnerable and in a state of extreme hunger. The Wendigo hunter killed the Wendigo that caused Hannah and Beth to run away and fall to their deaths. The spirit was released into the air and found a new host in Hannah who just about survived the fall. She was down the bottom of the cliff for weeks. Having been made vulnerable to the spirit she became a cannibal and ate Beth which started her transformation into becoming a Wendigo. This is why the Wendigo hunter preferred to trap and contain the Wendigos rather than outright kill them.

Or at least that's what I gathered from what I managed to find... Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, apparently if you find some key clues that uncover what became of Hannah it makes Josh aware of this so he doesn't end up in a state of shock when he realises the Wendigo who is trying to kill him is actually Hannah. Josh died in my play through but I realised the Wendigo was Hannah as I found a picture of her with the same tattoo in the mines somewhere but I didn't find another piece of evidence which would have meant he would have lived.

Or at least that's what I gathered from what I managed to find... Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, apparently if you find some key clues that uncover what became of Hannah it makes Josh aware of this so he doesn't end up in a state of shock when he realises the Wendigo who is trying to kill him is actually Hannah. Josh died in my play through but I realised the Wendigo was Hannah as I found a picture of her with the same tattoo in the mines somewhere but I didn't find another piece of evidence which would have meant he would have lived.

Regarding
Josh
, the evidence that you're looking for is actually in the area with the pool of water
that he dies in
. When you get there
as Sam
, explore the left side of the pool
instead of following Mike
. You should find a journal that explains what happened
to Hannah and Beth
nearby.

addik

Oh man fuck that last chapter. 5 of the 8 characters survived
including Wolfie, even if I freed Mike with the machete.

I was doing so fucking well. Jessica and Matt survived... It was just a matter of setting the lodge ablaze. I was playing Sam and after Mike destroyed the bulb, I ran for the switch. I thought the others got the plan too, like Chris, but apparently they all died in the fire... except for Chris, and Sam.

I managed to have Josh be alive at the end too. So it was just one shitty decision at the cabin, and possibly earlier with Emily and Ashley.

Yeah the choice system isn't as complex as what the reviews make it out to be, but I enjoyed it for what it was and I'll be going back to

Lime

Finished it. Good graphics, I must say. Story and writing were what was to be expected, but I would strongly have preferred a different narrative and tone. It was way too campy and the characters were too one-dimensional.

I reaaaaaly want a Silent Hill type of storytelling and tone with these graphics :O

leng jai

Anyone else unable to play this game for more than an hour at a time? It's pretty much super intense 24/7 and literally exhausting to play emotionally.

Anyone else unable to play this game for more than an hour at a time? It's pretty much super intense 24/7 and literally exhausting to play emotionally.

That's pretty much how I've been playing it so far. I've usually played an hour or a bit more at a time. Like you said just so intense and exhausting and I also want to take it in slow and try to find as many clues as possible on my first playthrough. Already did miss couple of them back there, damn.

Finished it. Good graphics, I must say. Story and writing were what was to be expected, but I would strongly have preferred a different narrative and tone. It was way too campy and the characters were too one-dimensional.

I reaaaaaly want a Silent Hill type of storytelling and tone with these graphics :O

Barf. This is why people hate the survival horror community. There is plenty of room in this genre for more than 'why don't you just try and copy silent hill?'

Replicant

Barf. This is why people hate the survival horror community. There is plenty of room in this genre for more than 'why don't you just try and copy silent hill?'

I agree. I enjoy all kinds of horror story. I love this, Outlast, RE, Silent Hill, Siren, etc. I don't think horror needs to be defined in a rigid manner just like I don't think video games need to be defined in rigid manner. There are rooms for variety and you don't have to worry that your type of game will not be available just because something else is.

nib95

Banned
Can the PS4 Eye camera record well in dark conditions? Thinking of setting it up when I play through this with all my cousins. But we're going to be playing in dark, and wondered if recording would even work.

Just finished a whole stream of the game. Everything was going fine until I got my dear
Ashley
killed then lost
Jess,Josh and Mike
as well. I might just retry from Episode 9 since that's where it all fell apart.

alterno69

Banned
Can the PS4 Eye camera record well in dark conditions? Thinking of setting it up when I play through this with all my cousins. But we're going to be playing in dark, and wondered if recording would even work.
Nope, i played with nothing but the tv on a couple of days ago and the captures where pitch black, i wasn't very far from the tv either 😓

Lime

I agree. I enjoy all kinds of horror story. I love this, Outlast, RE, Silent Hill, Siren, etc. I don't think horror needs to be defined in a rigid manner just like I don't think video games need to be defined in rigid manner. There are rooms for variety and you don't have to worry that your type of game will not be available just because something else is.

There's nothing wrong with preferring ambient atmosphere, sublime artistic direction, excellent sound design, (relatively) subtle narrative, and environmental storytelling.

It isn't about copying Silent Hill, but being inspired from a specific form of horror. Just like I prefer Mulholland Drive to Hostel, so do I prefer atmospheric psychological horror to slasher action horror.

This game can do whatever it wants, obviously, but I'm just saying I am much more impressed and engaged by a certain form of horror/storytelling/tone.

Shit I think Until Dawn just glitched out on me. I don't want to go in the spoiler thread because I don't want the end to be spoiled for me.

Anyway I'm playing
as Mike in the Sanatorium and every team I try to climb the barrel Mike either disappears from the screen completely or I'm unable to climb up and Mike starts to walk in the air as if he is walking on the ground. The problem is every time I exit out of the game, the save starts right in front of the barrel that I need to climb and 1 of the 2 options I mentioned occurs.

Does this mean I have to start all the way from the beginning since I'm essentially stuck in a loop?

There's nothing wrong with preferring ambient atmosphere, sublime artistic direction, excellent sound design, (relatively) subtle narrative, and environmental storytelling.

It isn't about copying Silent Hill, but being inspired from a specific form of horror. Just like I prefer Mulholland Drive to Hostel, so do I prefer atmospheric psychological horror to slasher action horror.

This game can do whatever it wants, obviously, but I'm just saying I am much more impressed and engaged by a certain form of horror/storytelling/tone.

Trust me... you're REALLY going to want to play "Stasis" in three days. :)

I agree. I mean, I'm loving this game and I love the cheesy slasher vibe as well, but I'd really like to see them do something subtler and actually scary for their next game. The choice system and pyshcology "choose what scares you" has soooo much potential for really messing with players. This game is the best of its type I've played by far, but it makes my head run wild with the possibilities of taking its systems even farther.

Valonquar

One of my characters died by opening a fucking door....
Other than that, my main gripe is all the "Previously on Until Dawn" recaps. If you are doing a marathon session, these interruptions really break the flow of the game. On the plus side it gave my viewers an opportunity to get food/bathroom break.

It was really fun playing this after watching Mr. Robot.
OMG Eliot is insane and sees things that aren't there! OMG Josh is insane and sees things that aren't there!

Kept almost everyone alive until bullshit consequences at the end. Goal for next playthrough, kill every last motherfucker.

OT.

Well that should be an obvious choice to anyone. Mulholland Dr is a surrealistic masterpiece where Lynch is able to change the mood of the film in a matter of seconds. It's more experience than a film which you must experience and where the the emotions range from nightmarish horror, to absurd comedy and poignant drama, but most importantly every cell of the film is filled with surreal, dreamlike and hypnotic atmosphere and mystery. I personally consider Mulholland Dr the best film of the century so far.

Whereas for me Hostel is simple and forgettable slasher gore. Really nothing inspired or memorable.

I think Until Dawn builds up the tension and atmosphere really well and you constantly feel the sense of dread.

Replicant

I'd say that if this is SH1-3, you have a case for it. But Silent Hill hasn't had anything like those post SH4. In fact, its ambient atmosphere and artistic direction have been sorely lacking. I mean my God, Silent Hill 5 looks like shit and so are the rest of the series. The art direction has been appalling and poor as of late.

Trust me... you're REALLY going to want to play "Stasis" in three days. :)

A new horror game?

I'd say that if this is SH1-3, you have a case for it. But Silent Hill hasn't had anything like those post SH4. In fact, its ambient atmosphere and artistic direction have been sorely lacking. I mean my God, Silent Hill 5 looks like shit and so are the rest of the series. The art direction has been appalling and poor as of late

When people mention Silent Hill in a positive way it's safe to assume they are always talking about the Team Silent games.
Or Silent Hills :(

sappyday

Loving this game a lot. It's not too scary where I can't play it anymore but it also isn't too tame. Characters are great and some that you hate end up becoming likable. I'm on chapter 9 so I'm assuming I only have one or two more to go.

Exactly, there were a few segments that really had that same feeling you get when playing Silent Hill. Horror should never be put in a box, and Until Dawn plays with a lot of styles here.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You guys remember that PS3 Siren game? It also had this campy horror movie vibe to it (way more over the top with it though), but this game's execution makes me wish that played more like this. Siren just completely turned me off with the terrible gameplay but could have been a great experience with this kind of interactivity instead...

I finished my first playthrough on the release day and just finished my second playthrough. The first time around I got a couple of people killed, but this time it was just one. So here's how I feel about the game--it's pretty fucking good.

Let's start off with the visuals and art direction. The game is definitely a looker. Facial animations are top notch, if a bit overdone at times, the skin looks realistic, and most of all the character's eyes feel natural, and not dead, unlike in a bunch of other games. At certain times, the game looks absolutely photorealistic and you forget you're playing a game. Sure, some shadows and backgrounds can be rough at times, but the characters always remain highly detailed, more so than any other game I have played. Now I'm a PC guy who prefers a solid 60FPS, so I was pretty disappointed by the highly variable framerate that this game has going on. I'd much rather they implemented a 30FPS cap, so it wouldn't feel so erratic. Snowy areas also tend to choke the GPU, often dropping the frames down to mid teens, but thankfully, that's not too frequent. As for the art design, it's decent, if not spectacular, sometimes bordering on great. It's more than serviceable, but the tech implemented in the game is far more significant to the visuals and greatly amplifies the visual fidelity. That Killzone engine is gorgeous.

Great sound design as well. The first time around I didn't use my headphones, and to be honest, TV speakers don't do justice to this game's sound design and score. It's definitely worth playing with a decent pair of headphones on. The atmosphere is brilliant, and you feel like you're actually playing a teen slasher. It's oppressive and eerie, and the graphics definitely help out a lot there. The gameplay is, well, not traditional, but it's very tense and enjoyable, with a mix of QTEs, exploration, and decision making. I have played Heavy Rain, Beyond, a couple of Telltale's games, and Life is Strange, but none of those games had gameplay as tense as Until Dawn. The developers have absolutely nailed the gameplay they were going for with this game. At times my hands were sweating 'cause of all intensity.

The game has cliched, yet believable, and honestly, enjoyable character arcs and interactions. You want to keep playing to find out what happens to these people next. You care for them, even though you'll only be interacting with them for about eight hours. The pacing is impeccable. So much so that I finished my first playthrough in two sittings on the release day. I just couldn't put it down. Now, as exciting and fun as the game is, I didn't think the story was anything special. It was good, but it wasn't great. Also, I didn't find it scary. I mean, a couple of things here and there were a tad creepy, but I found the jump scares to be annoying more than terrifying. I guess it's more of a thriller than a horror game.

In conclusion, I loved it, and I might go back to it next month after I'm done with MGS V and Mad Max, since there's nothing between those and Halo 5. Might even go for the platinum, even though I'm not a trophy hunting person. A solid 9/10 for me, and you if enjoy a fun eight to ten hour game, you should play this. It might not be worth $60 for you if you didn't think Heavy Rain and Beyond were "real games worth $60", but you should at least give it a shot when it hits $30 or lower. Cheers!

GavinUK86

It might not be worth $60 for you if you didn't think Heavy Rain and Beyond were "real games worth $60", but you should at least give it a shot when it hits $30 or lower.

Those people are idiots :p

Game is a 9/10 for me too. Just finished my second playthrough saving everyone. SO. GOOD.

edit: Just noticed there's a free Until Dawn avatar pack on PSN now.

Damn, I am not too far into the game, but Chapter
was a killer. Lost 2 people on that Chapter. Then the very next chapter, lost another one. Now I believe I am on Chapter
, and it appears I am about to lose a fourth.

I am not exactly sure what choices I made to cause this, but it is an awesome ride regardless. I do think that
Jessica died because when we went to that little cabin together, she was all nervous and I kept pushing the issue to make out, boom, she is dead.

I love this game.

Top Bottom