• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

If I want to use chapter select to grab some missed trophies, will it override my previous decisions? For example
i want to grab the trophy where i cut off mike's fingers
Will doing that change my entire save?

If I want to use chapter select to grab some missed trophies, will it override my previous decisions? For example
i want to grab the trophy where i cut off mike's fingers
Will doing that change my entire save?

Nope. No matter what you go back and change, your original save will stay the same.

edit: Well the only thing that would carry over would be any additional clues or totems you may find.

addik

Those people are idiots :p

Game is a 9/10 for me too. Just finished my second playthrough saving everyone. SO. GOOD.

Yes, this game is really good. I can imagine for people who are not into this type of gameplay or genre might have a harder time appreciating it, but the game has a lot of great moments, and it's oozing with atmosphere.

Yes, the plot is campy as hell, but what really works for these type of games isn't how deep or sophisticated the plot is, but how you get invested in the game's world and events. The game presents itself in such a way that you find yourself attached to the character and that you find yourself wanting to figure out what is going on in the mountain. It's because of these that you get invested in its Heavy Rain-esque gameplay.

To a certain extent, Heavy Rain had some good moments too (most memorable was the religious fanatic and the Ethan sequences) despite its terrible plots. Until Dawn manages to one-up that.

Basically, this is Heavy Rain with a dash of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

GavinUK86

Yes, this game is really good. I can imagine for people who are not into this type of gameplay or genre might have a harder time appreciating it, but the game has a lot of great moments, and it's oozing with atmosphere.

Yes, the plot is campy as hell, but what really works for these type of games isn't how deep or sophisticated the plot is, but how you get invested in the game's world and events. The game presents itself in such a way that you find yourself attached to the character and that you find yourself wanting to figure out what is going on in the mountain. It's because of these that you get invested in its Heavy Rain-esque gameplay.

To a certain extent, Heavy Rain had some good moments too (most memorable was the religious fanatic and the Ethan sequences) despite its terrible plots. Until Dawn manages to one-up that.

Basically, this is Heavy Rain with a dash of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Even though the plot starts out, and is marketed, as a campy, teen slasher story I like how it changes into more of a Descent-type horror flick as you get further into it, which I definitely did not see coming.

Nope. No matter what you go back and change, your original save will stay the same.

edit: Well the only thing that would carry over would be any additional clues or totems you may find.

Awesome, thank you! Really excited to go back through it again. Everyone seems to be enjoying their second playthrough as much as their first, which is interesting.

addik

I think the plot starts out, and is marketed as a campy, teen slasher story but I like how it changes into more of a Descent-type horror flick as you get further into it, which I definitely did not see coming.

Quite spoilerous impressions on the plot:
For some odd reason, I kinda saw it coming that territory? I was thrown off by some of the red herrings, but the supernatural elements were strongly foreshadowed to the point that I knew it was going to pop up at one point.

IMO, the game's atmosphere didn't grip me as much when the creatures were introduced. It didn't feel cheap, at all. It just felt like at that point, what mattered was getting out of the mountain. All mysteries were solved and we were just finding a way out for two chapters. It was now a hide-and-seek game.

But yeah, it's a good game with a campy plot that is effective and enjoyable as hell.

--EDIT: Is there an easy way to know where to find missing Totems and Clues? I missed a few on my first run, and I'm planning to grab some of them along the way if I have the spare time.

GavinUK86

Is there an easy way to know where to find missing Totems and Clues? I missed a few on my first run, and I'm planning to grab some of them along the way if I have the spare time.

I always use PowerPyx videos as guides for collectibles, they're always pretty good. I used the Until Dawn one to get everything.

Hostile_18

Banned
Loving the game, it does seem to have quite a few bugs though (not the creepy crawly kind!). The first Totem wouldn't reveal anything to Sam and later on in the game the collectables became low res and unreadable. Both times I had to force quit the game and reload. The lip syncing in the very first scene seemed off as well. Apart from that though the game is really good fun. Only up to chapter 3 but certainly taking my time :D.

To the people saying that they would have prefered a plot along the lines of Silent Hill... it's ok but kinda unfair, the devs were pretty clear about their objective and they succeeded at that, I understand your personal wishful thoughts but this is not a flaw in the game, in fact the story of this game is quite better than many of the teen horror movies of these days.

ike_

Just finished that last hour until dawn. Wow, wow. Maybe hit me harder because I don't watch a lot of movies but wow.

That ending sequence! I can honestly say I have never felt so engaged in and terrified by any video game sequence in my entire life. Wow.

3 survivors. Time to research the perfect playthrough. I need this. I need a resolution.

Whide

So I went in for a second playthrough and decided to shoot the squirrel at the start of the game. When they showed the squirrels blown off head, I felt so bad.
miXRUB8.gif

So I went in for a second playthrough and decided to shoot the squirrel at the start of the game. When they showed the squirrels blown off head, I felt so bad.
miXRUB8.gif

When you reach the scene where Mike and Jess are together at the cabin, you need to find matches to light the fireplace, then Jess is taken and when you go after her at some point you find a torch or something and Mike light it with a lighter :p
In fact I think Jess does the same when you find out that se is alive

Please confirm.

When you reach the scene where Mike and Jess are together at the cabin, you need to find matches to light the fireplace, then Jess is taken and when you go after her at some point you find a torch or something and Mike light it with a lighter :p
In fact I think Jess does the same when you find out that se is alive

Please confirm.
Yeah Mike gets a magic lighter out of nowhere. Pretty funny/silly.

What does the bonus pre-order mission reveal? Didn't get a chance to play it because of I rented the game.

I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Some of the graphics in the final third are astonishingly good at times save for the wonky framerate. I think this game might have some of the greatest graphics of people's clothes I've seen in a game, everything looks extremely authentic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I think about it, adopting the cinematic approach for this game allowed it to avoid a lot of the frustrating mechanics of recent horror games and be a more pure, well paced experience. Instead of just waiting in a locker for an AI character to decide to walk away, the player has to literally hold their breath to keep the controller still and the segment doesn't stretch out into tedium. Really great work on that front.

What does the bonus pre-order mission reveal? Didn't get a chance to play it because of I rented the game.

I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Some of the graphics in the final third are astonishingly good at times save for the wonky framerate. I think this game might have some of the greatest graphics of people's clothes I've seen in a game, everything looks extremely authentic.

It's like 10-15 minutes, nothing really important but it's good.

When they are at the basement all together trying to find a way out... it's incredible, Mike is a real person there.

SSReborn

It's like 10-15 minutes, nothing really important but it's good.

When they are at the basement all together trying to find a way out... it's incredible, Mike is a real person there.
Are you sure?

Every thing I've searched on it says it's the scene where Matt and Emily are walking back to the station to get her bag

TimFL

Are you sure?

Every thing I've searched on it says it's a scene where Matt and Emily are walking back to the station to get her bag

It is the scene where Matt and Emily leave to get her bag. It has a handful of choices during a conversation and that's pretty much it. It's not essential and it only serves as a way of further building or destroying the relationship between Matt & Emily.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are you sure?

Every thing I've searched on it says it's a scene where Matt and Emily are walking back to the station to get her bag

It's definitely this. I didn't see that scene but I saw the one he mentioned. There's a clear lack of Matt and Emily during the set up period of the game because it's not in there.

It is the scene where Matt and Emily leave to get her bag. It has a handful of choices during a conversation and that's pretty much it. It's not essential and it only serves as a way of further building or destroying the relationship between Matt & Emily.

I got the game after release so I didn't get this content. I feel like it's something that needed to be in the game, for Matt at least. Matt is really lacking compared to everyone else.

SSReborn

I got the game after release so I didn't get this content. I feel like it's something that needed to be in the game, for Matt at least. Matt is really lacking compared to everyone else.
Yeah, its literally a cut scene hate preorder bonuses like thatno matter how unimportant luckily I did end up getting since I preordered.

Thanks for the answers guys. I did think it was weird Matt just basically chilled for 3 hours
after shooting the wendigo in the caves lol.

The best surprises were definitely when
Emily and later on Jessica show up alive.

TimFL

Well you play as Matt during the scene so it helps with his playtime but really... it's not that much of a game changer. It's quite short and when I read that that was the bonus chapter I cringed because it had no real value.

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn, I am not too far into the game, but Chapter
was a killer. Lost 2 people on that Chapter. Then the very next chapter, lost another one. Now I believe I am on Chapter
, and it appears I am about to lose a fourth.

I am not exactly sure what choices I made to cause this, but it is an awesome ride regardless. I do think that
Jessica died because when we went to that little cabin together, she was all nervous and I kept pushing the issue to make out, boom, she is dead.

I love this game.

Huehuehuehuehue......oh you really know nothing....just wait

So I just started chapter 7 some time ago. Depending on the playstyle how much approx I have still left? I was wondering when to play this till the end, can't wait to see how this ends already.

Man, this game is intense, getting sweaty here while playing.

TimFL

Thanks for the answers guys. I did think it was weird Matt just basically chilled for 3 hours
after shooting the wendigo in the caves lol.

The best surprises were definitely when
Emily and later on Jessica show up alive.

The bonus chapter takes place early on as already mentioned. Matt being gone for 3 hours is just an oversight/plothole I guess. They could've easily added a few more scenes with Matt trying to escape from the cave too (ending with him meeting up with Jessica).

I am overall really disappointed that they focus on 3-4 characters and kind of drop the rest of the cast like hot butter with short scenes.
I would've loved to play as Josh early on, I'm sure they could've easily designed a few scenes where you play as him without giving the plot away.
Jessica was wasted too, if Matt survives the fire tower crash scene she can't be played anymore. It would've been smart switching a few character focuses early on so Jessica had more gameplay time.

So I just started chapter 7 some time ago. Depending on the playstyle how much approx I have still left? I was wondering when to play this till the end, can't wait to see how this ends already.
Depends on whether you rush or explore. I think the last 3 chapters contain quite a few exploration scenes. Rough guess 1-2,5hours, depending on how much time you spend exploring (can't guarantee though, but when I played it it felt like the last 2-3 chapters were quite long and packed).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 4. I hate pretty much all of them, Sam and Ashley are ok. The rest are just dicks, hope they all get killed except for those two.

Depends on whether you rush or explore. I think the last 3 chapters contain quite a few exploration scenes. Rough guess 1-2,5hours, depending on how much time you spend exploring (can't guarantee though, but when I played it it felt like the last 2-3 chapters were quite long and packed).

Probably about 2 hours, maybe a bit longer.

Thanks for the answers! Really happy to hear that since I don't want this game to end. I've been trying to play slowly and explore everything.

Chapter 4. I hate pretty much all of them, Sam and Ashley are ok. The rest are just dicks, hope they all get killed except for those two.

Strangely enough I don't hate any of the character and I'm usually quite sensitive about such things. Emily is the only one I'm mildly annoyed from time to time, but I'd do all I can to save her as well. I'm actually surprised by the characters, frankly I was expecting worse.

i'm just starting and in chapter 1 i think i ran into a bug because when i pick up the totem and rotate it, nothing happens! it doesn't show the scene or give me any other prompts. all it says is "R2", i hold R2, rotate the totem... and just nothing happens. I also can't "leave" the view and try again. think i just have to reset :(

Strangely enough I don't hate any of the character and I'm usually quite sensitive about such things. Emily is the only one I'm mildly annoyed from time to time, but I'd do all I can to save her as well. I'm actually surprised by the characters, frankly I was expecting worse.

I think the same about everything you said. I was ready to hate Mike and it's super close to be my favourite character. I think Matt is sadly like non existent, and Emily is infuriating but I kept her alive in the end.

Getting feels of when I originally played Resident Evil back in the day when exploring. It's tense and you don't know what's around the next corner. Very psychological. Great atmosphere. Love to have another Resident Evil back in this style and hopefully the game is a success enough for Capcom to take note.

What I do feel is a little missing though is perhaps during tense times with charachters that the vibration makes like a heart beat and/or the controller mic plays the sound. Just to add that extra level of knowing that while your hearts beating fast, so is the characters.

I think the same about everything you said. I was ready to hate Mike and it's super close to be my favourite character. I think Matt is sadly like non existent, and Emily is infuriating but I kept her alive in the end.

Definitely agree with you about Mike. I was sure I wouldn't like him at all, but surprisingly by Chapter 7 I'm starting to really like him. So far among my favorite characters with Sam, Chris and Ashley.

Hostile_18

Banned
i'm just starting and in chapter 1 i think i ran into a bug because when i pick up the totem and rotate it, nothing happens! it doesn't show the scene or give me any other prompts. all it says is "R2", i hold R2, rotate the totem... and just nothing happens. I also can't "leave" the view and try again. think i just have to reset :(

Yeah its a known issue. A reset will sort it, otherwise you can't progress.

Only at about chapter 4/5 but I've found that some of the annoying characters turn out better as the game progresses, but also when you take control of them and you can make the decisions.

Wasn't a big fan of mike, but he has grown on me... Emily is the only one I do not like right now.

JoshHood

So, I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5 I think, and Mike is now stuck in the
basement of the sanatorium
. Whenever I climb on the barrel, he disappears and I'm stuck with a view of the platform and no control. The game has saved right behind me so I can't go back.

Anyone seen this or got any ideas about how to get around it? Don't really fancy having to start the whole game again.

Top Bottom