• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

eshwaaz

Dang it, all of the reviews and impressions here are making the game sound so good, but I'm afraid I'm too big a baby to deal with the horror and loss of characters. I think I'd be too bothered every time a decision I make results in a character death.

Dang it, all of the reviews and impressions here are making the game sound so good, but I'm afraid I'm too big a baby to deal with the horror and loss of characters. I think I'd be too bothered every time a decision I make results in a character death.

I have to admit my face has made some funny expressions (according to my eldest son) while playing the game.

I hope you do go and get it, it's important to support games like this so that companies feel confident about doing something different.

Christ guys. THIS GAME! Currently just starting chapter 8 and I'm in love with it. Fecked up a few key decisions. Can't wait to start again and rectiy that!

I just finished the game, and oh my god I am mad at myself.

SPOILERS obviously.

Sam, my favorite character died in the very last event of the game, because my hand slipped and controller moved!

4 survivors on first play-through, I'm kind of proud of myself. I think I got it figured out how to get out with everyone alive, except one.

Saving both Matt AND Emily seems to be a very convoluted sequence of events. I have to somehow get flare gun to Matt WITHOUT him using it?

What a fantastic game, I will be playing it again for sure. But I have to take a bit of a break, that was a very stressful game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

SPOILERS obviously.

Sam, my favorite character died in the very last event of the game, because my hand slipped and controller moved!

4 survivors on first play-through, I'm kind of proud of myself. I think I got it figured out how to get out with everyone alive, except one.

Saving both Matt AND Emily seems to be a very convoluted sequence of events. I have to somehow get flare gun to Matt WITHOUT him using it?

Both Matt and Emily survived my game and he used the flare gun. He just has to jump away without saving her when the fire watch falls and meet up with Jess.

SPOILERS obviously.

Matt using the flare gun apparently depends on a decision you make in the previous episode. If he does use it, then ditch Emily instead of helping her. She'll be fine either way.

Both Matt and Emily survived my game and he used the flare gun. He just has to jump away without saving her when the fire watch falls and meet up with Jess.

Matt using the flare gun apparently depends on a decision you make in the previous episode. If he does use it, then ditch Emily instead of helping her. She'll be fine either way.

Thank you for your tips!

nib95

Banned
Dammit Amazon. Was supposed to get my copy yesterday, then it was changed to today, and now it's showing as Wednesday. Should have just paid a couple of quid extra and ordered elsewhere...

Weirdly, I'm more interested in playing this than I am MGSV. I just want something short, easier to digest and highly entertaining. Not sure I'm ready for another massive open world game.

E the Shaggy

Beat the game, and totally pissed at myself for not following horror movie rules.

Never should have sent Ashley off on her own, as she got her head ripped off.

Is it possible to save Josh? Should I have not been moving in the water?

Question about clues - Is the order that they appear on the grid in the status screens the order they appear in game?

Sort of. You will generally find them blocks, but they don't necessarily appear in the exact order in the grid.

Beat the game, and totally pissed at myself for not following horror movie rules.

Never should have sent Ashley off on her own, as she got her head ripped off.

Is it possible to save Josh? Should I have not been moving in the water?

No matter what you do the Wendigo in the water will get him. There's a diary you can find a slight bit earlier, and whether or not you find that determines exactly what happens to him from there.

Only at about chapter 4/5 but I've found that some of the annoying characters turn out better as the game progresses, but also when you take control of them and you can make the decisions.

Wasn't a big fan of mike, but he has grown on me... Emily is the only one I do not like right now.
Emily gets a good solo chapter later on as well.

So, I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5 I think, and Mike is now stuck in the
basement of the sanatorium
. Whenever I climb on the barrel, he disappears and I'm stuck with a view of the platform and no control. The game has saved right behind me so I can't go back.

Anyone seen this or got any ideas about how to get around it? Don't really fancy having to start the whole game again.
Thats apparently a glitch. If you can record a clip of it so Supermassive can fix it. For now there is probably no way out besides resetting the entire file I'm afraid. They should have unlocked the chapter selection earlier...

Also wish there was noises in general coming from the controller at tense or jump moments. Whilst some jumps work, others don't have any of the desired effect they'd have wanted.

DirtyLarry

Okay, just finished the game.
Earlier in the thread I said I was not sold just yet, that I was on Chapter 3, and was not sure if I was feeling it.
Damn, I was dead wrong.

No hyperbole here, as far as this type of game, it is pretty much the best I ever played. For the "choose your own adventure" genre of video game, it does not get much better.

So yeah, I do think I got about the worse possible ending one could get. LOL
I only had 2 survivors, Chris and Sam. Up until I blew the rest of the group up in the house, I only lost 2 people, Matt and Jessica (and Jessica was not until towards the end of the game)

Pretty much probably at the very least have to replay that final chapter.

For this genre though, the game was damn near perfect. I am just left really, really impressed with the execution. I also loved the story, something I can pretty much say I almost never like in video games.

The bonus chapter takes place early on as already mentioned. Matt being gone for 3 hours is just an oversight/plothole I guess. They could've easily added a few more scenes with Matt trying to escape from the cave too (ending with him meeting up with Jessica).

I am overall really disappointed that they focus on 3-4 characters and kind of drop the rest of the cast like hot butter with short scenes.
I would've loved to play as Josh early on, I'm sure they could've easily designed a few scenes where you play as him without giving the plot away.
Jessica was wasted too, if Matt survives the fire tower crash scene she can't be played anymore. It would've been smart switching a few character focuses early on so Jessica had more gameplay time.
I see your point, I ended up liking pretty much all the characters by the end and wouldn't have minded the some filler sections even if they weren't all action packed.

I would like to see what percentage of people shot Emily in the head because she's who I'm guessing would be the least favorite of the crew if you had to choose one. I didn't shoot her but I thought it would be revealed that Mike had no more bullets left if you decide to pull the trigger but nope I saw in a video that you could just pop her in the head lol.

Anyone's game crash at all?

It crashed near the beginning for me when
I went to follow the footprints and picked up some cylinder shaped object, the camera zoomed in and stayed at a black screen and had to unplug my PS4 (it also was checking the harddrive after I managed to turn it back on.

I see your point, I ended up liking pretty much all the characters by the end and wouldn't have minded the some filler sections even if they weren't all action packed.

I would like to see what percentage of people shot Emily in the head because she's who I'm guessing would be the least favorite of the crew if you had to choose one. I didn't shoot her but I thought it would be revealed that Mike had no more bullets left if you decide to pull the trigger but nope I saw in a video that you could just pop her in the head lol.
So far it looks like Emily survived for most people, even for those that hated her haha. Very happy about that personally.

antitrop

Okay, just finished the game.
Earlier in the thread I said I was not sold just yet, that I was on Chapter 3, and was not sure if I was feeling it.
Damn, I was dead wrong.

No hyperbole here, as far as this type of game, it is pretty much the best I ever played. For the "choose your own adventure" genre of video game, it does not get much better.

So yeah, I do think I got about the worse possible ending one could get. LOL
I only had 2 survivors, Chris and Sam. Up until I blew the rest of the group up in the house, I only lost 2 people, Matt and Jessica (and Jessica was not until towards the end of the game)

Pretty much probably at the very least have to replay that final chapter.

For this genre though, the game was damn near perfect. I am just left really, really impressed with the execution. I also loved the story, something I can pretty much say I almost never like in video games.

I TOLD YOU IT RAMPS :)

So there's a part when playing as Emily where you have to pick left or right, according to global stats right was picked somewhere around 70%. Why is that? Does it have to do with people's handedness?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm in chapter 9 with most of my party still alive, but I have a gut feeling I'm about to see a whole bunch of "DONT MOVE" prompts pop up and they're going to fuck me over into mass casualties. Those sections are such crap.

So there's a part when playing as Emily where you have to pick left or right, according to global stats right was picked somewhere around 70%. Why is that? Does it have to do with people's handedness?
Probably yeah, a subconscious thing :D

I'm in chapter 9 with most of my party still alive, but I have a gut feeling I'm about to see a whole bunch of "DONT MOVE" prompts pop up and they're going to fuck me over into mass casualties. Those sections are such crap.
You better get your ass ready haha.

carlsojo

My wife was having an issue with a don't move segment but I think it was because her knees were blocking the light? I held it out in front of me and never had any issues.

Mordeccai

Please, can anyone tell me what the classical music is that plays when you talk to the therapist, and when Sam is in the bathtub wearing headphones earlier on in the game? The one with the low sounding string instrument, it's beautiful.

Bollocks

good, I'm up to chapter 4 and already lost 2, at this rate I don't have to worry about them

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
You better get your ass ready haha.

Oh sweet baby jesus.... is it really don't move or is it more "Keep the controller within the outline". Cause there have been some where I'm holding it as still as fucking possible but I see the light start drifting toward an edge.... I don't want to move and correct cause it says "DONT FUCKING MOVE" but I just watch it drift over and fail. You guys that are passing these sections.... do you still move it a little just to stay within the lines?

Just finished Chapter 7. Craaazy shit. I figured
it was going to be a Washington relative who was tormenting everyone as the psycho using their horror movie expertise as revenge for the sister's deaths after I found the faked newspapers everything fell into place. But I did not expect Josh to be the one who was doing it, considering I had him get buzzsawed. Now I wonder what would have happened if I had picked Ashley or neither of them since he didn't want anyone to actually die..

I also suspect that
the mine flamethrower guy is not evil and the only actual killers in the game are the monsters that came from the mine and mauled that deer
. We shall see, though.

So my death count remains at 2:
Jessica and Matt

Game is great. This will certainly make my top 5 in the GOTY list, how high depends on how good the last couple chapters are.

X-Factor

If you are having trouble with the hold the controller still parts, just put it on a table and wait...

I did not find it hard to hold still in my hands.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh sweet baby jesus.... is it really don't move or is it more "Keep the controller within the outline". Cause there have been some where I'm holding it as still as fucking possible but I see the light start drifting toward an edge.... I don't want to move and correct cause it says "DONT FUCKING MOVE" but I just watch it drift over and fail. You guys that are passing these sections.... do you still move it a little just to stay within the lines?

Yeah, it's keep the light in the lines.

I just have the controller resting on my lap while playing, and when I get to those sections, I have never had a problem.. Keeping my hands and controller resting on my lap while playing tends to keep the controller pretty stable...

I'm right near the end now I really don't want to mess up now. There was a tough stretch that I needed up a couple of chapters back that is still annoying me.

DirtyLarry

I TOLD YOU IT RAMPS :)
You did, and thank you for doing so. It was pretty much right after I asked and you responded that the game did ramp up.

A little OT but it is relative to this game, I rented it from GameFly. I am thinking of purchasing it especially if it counts as a purchase towards the overall sales. I'd like to say with my wallet "I support this game."
However I am leaning towards it was already purchased by GameFly so if I purchase it from them, it is just them making their money back and does not go towards a sale.
Does anyone know definitively?

I've never had any trouble with the holding the controller still portions...I don't hold it or sit in a special way or anything, I just, well, hold it still lol.

DirtyLarry

I've never had any trouble with the holding the controller still portions...I don't hold it or sit in a special way or anything, I just, well, hold it still lol.
Wish I could say the same. I am definitely a little more shaky in my older years than I was when I was younger. Actually kind of fucked up how it happens.

So what I did when I suspected a hold still segment was coming up was actually play it with the controller laying on my coffee table. Only thing it made a little more difficult than usual was pressing R2 and moving the reticule, but it was still absolutely doable.
This solved all the problems I was having with the hold still encounters. My controller was still as could be.

Elitist1945

My wife was having an issue with a don't move segment but I think it was because her knees were blocking the light? I held it out in front of me and never had any issues.

As far as I know, it doesn't actually use the light. It uses the gyro sensors (I think thats what they're called?).

Salamando

So how much do your choices actually matter? Heard there were, like, 200+ endings.

They only say that because there's 8 characters who can end the game in one of two ways - they live, or they die. 2^8 = 256. Technically there's that many endings, but most are just a small variation from the next.

Some choices matter a lot. Others don't. Honestly you'll have the most fun if you ignore everything that might be going on behind the scenes, and just enjoy the spectacle you're creating.

Caode

I'm just starting Chapter 7 but this is going right in there as one of the top games of the year for me personally, unless it horribly pisses away everything it's done so well so far, which I can't see happening. It's so good.

Top Bottom