• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

antitrop

Mine was bugged. Tried it 7 times and it never worked.

That's so shitty. Thankfully, they worked as intended for me and I thought the mechanic was game changing. I've never been more tense in a game.

Letting out that deep sigh of relief when they're over is one of the more satisfying things I've done in a game this year. It's up there with spraypaint tagging in Second Son for my favorite use of the DS4 motion controls. Not that there's a lot of competition...

Lime

That's so shitty. All of mine worked as intended and I thought the mechanic was game changing. I've never been more tense in a game.

Someone wrote earlier that the thing is readjusted in every scene. Maybe holding it in the same position throughout the whole ordeal made it bugged for me.

On the 7th try I just gave up and let the character in question suffer the consequences. If that hadn't happened, everyone would have survived in my first play through.

AWESOME game, much better than expected, but damn those "dont move" parts..

Finished with 3 characters alive, and didnt event liked the 3...the ones i liked...gone.

Elitist1945

That's so shitty. Thankfully, they worked as intended for me and I thought the mechanic was game changing. I've never been more tense in a game.

Letting out that deep sigh of relief when they're over is one of the more satisfying things I've done in a game this year. It's up there with spraypaint tagging in Second Son for my favorite use of the DS4 motion controls. Not that there's a lot of competition...

Yeah I tensed the fuck up and held my breath during those. My palms sweated like crazy.

Caode

I've made so many bad decisions...

Right there with you!

695267973924827462.gif

lumi7890

I just finished the game. and I have too say it was pretty freaking awesome, I just loved everything about it and I had a lot of fun with it. so much so, that I'm going to definitely play though it again. as for my survival rate ,well all my characters technically survived, and what I mean when I say that is that , is that well I did lose 2 characters in reality. but, I quitted out the game before the decision took hold and went back and change it. Before you said anything, yes I know I'm a cheater peter pumpkin eater, but I was trying to go for the trophies you get if everyone lives, all girls live and all boys live. with all that being said, I feel like the game would been a bit more enjoyable if I did have abit of a body count (after all it is a slasher) but I wanted to get the trophy so I'd made sure that everyone survived. I also have to say the gameplay was really good I honest felt that it was more "adventure game" then "cinematic game". I think my favorite part about the game, was the fixed camera angles, I just felt a lot them were done so well, that it really added to the general fear and atmosphere of the game, just really awesome camera work. so in conclusion until dawn was an awesome game and I hoped that it does well in sales because it definitely deserves it. also, I manly want it to do well manly because I want would like to see a sequel. after all it's not a true slasher until it at least 5 sequels and a reboot.

Also wish there was noises in general coming from the controller at tense or jump moments. Whilst some jumps work, others don't have any of the desired effect they'd have wanted.

You mean more than the ticking it makes when its time to timed QTE?

I like how it does that sound.

--

Ive been going through and trying to kill everyone, pretty great to see how some scenes change when key choices are made.

so1337

Made it to chapter 10.
Ashley
is super-dead. :( Shouldn't have
followed Jess' voice. The wendigo's calls were very misleading because an earlier scene showed that Jess was still alive.
That was the only time I let my guard down so far.

antitrop

Also wish there was noises in general coming from the controller at tense or jump moments. Whilst some jumps work, others don't have any of the desired effect they'd have wanted.

Those whispery noises that came out of the DS4 in Shadow of Mordor were creepy as fuck.

Something like that here would have been cool.

Overboost

Just finished it last night... seriously a contender for GOTY for me (Cabin in the Woods was my favorite film of 2011). Definitely playing through at least three times. Thought I was pretty thorough but ended up missing like 40% of the totems! I wanna see that movie play out and I refuse to YouTube it.

A little OT but it is relative to this game, I rented it from GameFly. I am thinking of purchasing it especially if it counts as a purchase towards the overall sales. I'd like to say with my wallet "I support this game."
However I am leaning towards it was already purchased by GameFly so if I purchase it from them, it is just them making their money back and does not go towards a sale.
Does anyone know definitively?
If you and others buy enough copies out of their inventory and demand picks up via word of mouth (and it seems to be!), GameFly will order more copies to keep up with demand. Go for it and support Supermassive.

Source: Three friends of mine used to work in GameFly distribution.

leng jai

I'm surprised this game isn't getting more criticism for its ridiculous amount of jump scares. It seems like one every 5 minutes.

daTRUballin

I just watched a couple Youtubers play this game, and it looks really cool. Very interesting game. I really like the concept this game has with all the decision making and stuff.

Roussow

I'm surprised this game is getting more criticism for its ridiculous amount of jump scares. It seems like one every 5 minutes.

It's... a horror game... It's not Silent Hill, it's using the slasher movie archetype, frequent jump scares have never been more appropriate.

They only say that because there's 8 characters who can end the game in one of two ways - they live, or they die. 2^8 = 256. Technically there's that many endings, but most are just a small variation from the next.
Pretty much there are three definite endings...
- Mike suicides himself to kill Wendingo
- Sam rushes and kills everyone inside
- Sam saves Mike and others inside

Who is with you at the end is why they say 256. But really for achievements you only need three.

So how much do your choices actually matter? Heard there were, like, 200+ endings.
Was already answered, but yeah it depends. Typical for this sort of game,
most choices only matter close to the end. A lot is fake

I'm surprised this game is getting more criticism for its ridiculous amount of jump scares. It seems like one every 5 minutes.
Its kinda hilarious after a while. Felt on purpose and I mostly shrugged it off, not really something I would criticise. Its trying every form of jump scare there exists haha. But most of them definitely happen in the first half, it will get better eventually.

Roussow

Just watched the "meet the cast" extra and its crazy how the characters look almost exactly like their real life actors. They nailed Josh

Something about his eyes -- he's really distinctive looking, and his performance in this game convinced me to go watch Mr. Robot, which was a good decision.

Made it to chapter 10.
Ashley
followed Jess' voice. The wendigo's calls were very misleading because an earlier scene showed that Jess was still alive.

I've fell for the same trick, clever bastards.

KorrZ

Finished it last night. Loved it! Thought I was doing great until the last 2 chapters and then I lost
Ashley, Jess, Josh & Sam one right after the other fuck

I felt really stupid for the first 2....
can't believe I went and investigated the voice as Ashley, god damnit...you never investigate. The game totally tricks you by showing Jess wake up in that short scene before. I also knew the mistake I made right away with Jess by running. I kept forgetting that they don't see if you stand still.

Might replay the last 2 chapters just to get the ending with everyone living but I don't think I'll want to replay the whole game again for awhile since I can't really see myself trying to get the characters killed on purpose to see different outcomes.

I feel like
they can mimic their prey
line is suppose to tell you that. Although if she is still alive, I can see it tricking people.

Of course, even if it was really stupid from my part,
I saw Jess alive and thought "Gee... se won't survive alone... " but the most stupid thing was to open the floor door. Lame

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Made it to chapter 10.
Ashley
Haha

I was actually really annoyed I missed the hatch on my first playthrough since there's a Drop Down point just past it that I investigated first because I thought the hatch was the way forward.

so1337

Haha

I was actually really annoyed I missed the hatch on my first playthrough since there's a Drop Down point just past it that I investigated first because I thought the hatch was the way forward.
What? I had no idea. What happens if
you drop down?

I just watched a Let's Play of this and I have to say, god damn this game was good. Makes me want to own a PS4 just for this game. The characters who I originally detested actually grown on me
Mike ftw
and there's only one character I actually dislike in the game
Fuck Emily

I have a few questions regarding the story of the game:

Who the heck cut the support of the fire tower? Was it a Wendigo, because I've always assumed it was either Josh or the flamethrower dude before the reveals.

What exactly happens to Josh after being dragged off by the Wendigo?

I've fell for the same trick, clever bastards.

I did exactly the same thing. It occurred to me that i'd made a mistake as soon as
I moved the latch on the trapdoor - I suddenly remembered the mimic line from the diary.

Loved the game, finished my first playthrough a few hours ago. Death toll was 3. Looking forward to playing through again on a trophy hunt and viewing the other possibilities.

I don't know why Sony isn't pushing this more, it's a unique and very fun exclusive. I felt like I was binge watching a Netflix series, but interacting with it.

Who the heck cut the support of the fire tower? Was it a Wendigo, because I've always assumed it was either Josh or the flamethrower dude before the reveals.
Wendigo.

What exactly happens to Josh after being dragged off by the Wendigo?
He either dies or gets turned into a Wendigo post credits.

Fuck Emily
http://abload.de/img/slap6euqbb.gif

Pinktaco

Oh FFS :(

Since MGS V will release soon I figured I'd get the most out of Until Dawn before the relasee. So I followed a guide so I could find all clues, totems and save everyone and what happens? I missed the second totem at the start of chapter 5. Even though I quit the game I'm starting a place where I cannot go back and get it and this is mostly where my complain is. Sometimes it really wouldn't hurt if you could go back, but nope totem is gone :/

Also the game kinda lure you to assume the totem is a certain place (you can see the blinking thingy) and when you go there you realize it's too late.

Otherwise I love the game :)

Oh FFS :(

Since MGS V will release soon I figured I'd get the most out of Until Dawn before the relasee. So I followed a guide so I could find all clues, totems and save everyone and what happens? I missed the second totem at the start of chapter 5. Even though I quit the game I'm starting a place where I cannot go back and get it and this is mostly where my complain is. Sometimes it really wouldn't hurt if you could go back, but nope totem is gone :/

You can replay entire episodes after you finish the game.

Certinty

This game is growing on me. After the first few chapters I said to myself that this is nowhere near as good as Heavy Rain or Life Is Strange but since then it's been getting a lot better chapter by chapter. So if anyone is put off by the relatively slow start I would encourage them to keep playing for sure.

Corpekata

Banned
It's... a horror game... It's not Silent Hill, it's using the slasher movie archetype, frequent jump scares have never been more appropriate.

Most horror movies that rely on jump scares are heavily criticized for it too. Just because it's leaning into horror tropes doesn't mean every single aspect it emulates was a good decision.

This game is growing on me. After the first few chapters I said to myself that this is nowhere near as good as Heavy Rain or Life Is Strange but since then it's been getting a lot better chapter by chapter. So if anyone is put off by the relatively slow start I would encourage them to keep playing for sure.
Word. At the end Heavy Rain still handled wildly different endings and branches better, but Until Dawn is an extremely fun romp. Great game.

I'm surprised this game isn't getting more criticism for its ridiculous amount of jump scares. It seems like one every 5 minutes.

It goes with the territory for the cheesy slasher vibe they are doing. But yeah 99% of them are not implemented well at all (compared to something like RE2 were they feel earned and are cleverly employed). Only a few of them have even startled me.

Made it to chapter 10.
Ashley
All the feels.

Roussow

Most horror movies that rely on jump scares are heavily criticized for it too. Just because it's leaning into horror tropes doesn't mean every single aspect it emulates was a good decision.

Of course. I just thought it used the tropes effectively, running the gambit of fake-outs to genuine frights with it's jump scares -- I also felt that the game effectively builds tension with the exploration/walk-about sequences, occasionally extended and void of blatant frights -- but they never hold off for so long that you feel comfortable or safe, you're always on edge, I really liked the pacing.

Top Bottom