• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Stalk

Still the handheld of choice for me personally, trying to build up a nice collection still. Just got in Trails Cold Steel US ce earlier this month and eyeing up a few bits like Digimon physical. Is the Asia release using the script of the EU/US release do we know?

Also the only console where I have actively gone out and bought a second revision haha, love my orange 2000. Saw Minecraft in a local store for a fiver the other day as well so might pick that up to add to my limited prints... Only got Sword Art Online atm.

incpdo

It doesn't have to be. Toucharcade.com and its forums have been a godsend for me, as well as the ios section of boardgamegeek.com. You shouldn't be surprised by that a lot of free/99 cent games have grind gates and paywalls, but actually a lot of free games, especially indies, are moving to a "remove ads" one-time purchase, usually about $2.

There's so many great games on tablets that you may be able to play on PC but you can't play on the handhelds, making it the only portable solution. It usually gets indies first, like Downwell and Banner Saga and Desktop Dungeons, etc, and it also gets amazing ports of board games and card games and has been a wonderful source of roguelikes and strategy games. Yeah, there's a lot of garbage, but if you are the kind of enthusiast to buy a dedicated handheld you might also be the kind of enthusiast to buy a tablet to play the kinds of games you like on the go.

What am I misinterpreting here? Because it sounds like uninformed, elitist bullshit and now I'm hearing a lot of back peddling. I'm arguing against what was written, if you intended something else you weren't very clear. I'm certain the combined number of tablets within the android/ios ecosystems contains a percentage of users, who bought said tablets specifically for games, that is comparable to the total sales of the 3DS or Vita.
We're do you get that information? Source? I mean 60 million people buying tablets to play? I certainly don't know anyone on my environment that did that. I enjoy playing on my iPad but did I bought an iPad to play on it? Nope that was a plus, in my case I bought it to use social apps and drawing apps, very welcome plus. Can I say I can enjoy games on the iPad? Yeah sometimes, but it is really hard to find games for me , that might be me tho. But I find most of iPad games to be cashgrabs. And the good games are a few percentage of the store. It is notable how the are design. They are not dedicated gaming devices. To properly play a game most of the time I find I have to buy an accessory in order to play them vs something that's built in the device. Idk. I understand your enjoyment tho. But if that's the future of gaming ( it actually is) its really sad.
In reality iPad gaming is cheap thanks to the impressive amount of games it has. Much like in the crash of the gaming industry back in 1983 . the industry is crashing slowly but is the hardcore gaming one. Casual gamers are more people and spend more money in time consuming bullshit gaming.

18-Volt

What am I misinterpreting here? Because it sounds like uninformed, elitist bullshit and now I'm hearing a lot of back peddling. I'm arguing against what was written, if you intended something else you weren't very clear. I'm certain the combined number of tablets within the android/ios ecosystems contains a percentage of users, who bought said tablets specifically for games, that is comparable to the total sales of the 3DS or Vita.

Ok I'll be very clear.

PSP owners bought the system for certain games: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, GTA, Monster Hunter, MGS. Same goes for DS but DS had a huge chunk of casual audience. Only a very small fraction of PSP userbase bought the system without having any game in mind.

Handhelds are not like mobile systems, they need system sellers. You buy them for certain games. Because that's the only thing they do, playing games. If there are no games you want to play you won't buy it.

Vita sold terribly because it had no system sellers like PSP did. 3DS grabbed Monster Hunter exclusivity, MGS, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games has been/are being made for PS4. All other big software Vita had (FFX, Persona, World of FF) were not system exclusive. In other words, PS4 stole Vita's exclusives and it's dying because of it. Not because of mobile. Mobile didn't steal anything, it has games of its own. It has only few stuff that could interest a PSP owner. It does not have exclusive MGS, FF and Kingdom Hearts games. But PS4 does.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Look, guys. How many dedicated Vita threads do we get? This thread has neither been closed nor relegated to community yet. Can we please let this thread be our haven and a place to nicely discuss upcoming and/or current Vita games? You guys are ruining this with your silly arguments. I'm getting a negative vibe here. Our only Vita thread needs as much positivity as it can get.

18-Volt

Look, guys. How many dedicated Vita threads do we get? This thread has neither been closed nor relegated to community yet. Can we please let this thread be our haven and a place to nicely discuss upcoming and/or current Vita games? You guys are ruining this with your silly arguments. I'm getting a negative vibe here. Our only Vita thread needs as much positivity as it can get.

Well it's been a sad couple of weeks for Vita, cancellations, and Adventures of Mana. We do need some good news to keep the dark clouds away to keep being positive about Vita.

Where are you XSEED? Announce something!

HotHamBoy

Ok I'll be very clear.

PSP owners bought the system for certain games: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, GTA, Monster Hunter, MGS. Same goes for DS but DS had a huge chunk of casual audience. Only a very small fraction of PSP userbase bought the system without having any game in mind.

Handhelds are not like mobile systems, they need system sellers. You buy them for certain games. Because that's the only thing they do, playing games. If there are no games you want to play you won't buy it.

Vita sold terribly because it had no system sellers like PSP did. 3DS grabbed Monster Hunter exclusivity, MGS, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games has been/are being made for PS4. All other big software Vita had (FFX, Persona, World of FF) were not system exclusive. In other words, PS4 stole Vita's exclusives and it's dying because of it. Not because of mobile. Mobile didn't steal anything, it has games of its own. It has only few stuff that could interest a PSP owner. It does not have exclusive MGS, FF and Kingdom Hearts games. But PS4 does.

But it DOES have the Final Fantasy games, 1-7 with 9 on the way, and Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger, and many other premium RPGs both Western and Japanese, both ports and new exclusives, etc. Look, I get what you're saying. But the Vita does have a shitload of exclusive games that would appeal to a PSP owner. The handheld market shrunk because it was created to fill a void. Once mobile gaming became sufficiently advanced it made dedicated handheld devices redundant.

Do you know why their aren't system sellers of yore on Vita? Because those companies moved to mobile. You're looking from the wrong perspective. It's not about who's buying a device for what reason, it's about publishers and devs going where the money is. Mobile is killing handhelds because the devs have abondoned handhelds for mobile.

Yes, grand Kingdom got announced and my "hope this gets localized list" is shrinking once again.

Still on my list:

Top priority

Steins;Gate 0
Net High
Exist Archive
Tokyo Xanadu
Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
Hero must die

The rest

SaGA 2015
Punchline (not really sure I want this one)
Yoru no Nai Kuni (A Land Without Night)
World End eclipse
Eve: Burst Error R
Atelier Shallie Plus
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
Yu-No
City Shrouded in Shadow
Danganronpa V3
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Toukiden 2
Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain
Digimon World: Next Order
Dragon Quest Builders
Crows: Burning Edge
Utawareruno: False Mask
Chaos;Child
Ys 8
Super Hero Generation

Top priority

Steins;Gate 0
Net High
Exist Archive
Tokyo Xanadu
Hero must die

My man <3

Haven't seen anyone else yet who seems overly interested in Hero Must Die. That & Tokyo Xanadu are literally my most anticipated upcoming games.

The rest

SaGA 2015
Yoru no Nai Kuni (A Land Without Night)
Atelier Shallie Plus
Danganronpa V3
Digimon World: Next Order
Utawareruno: False Mask
Ys 8

These need to be in the priority list though.

Saphirax

My man <3

Haven't seen anyone else yet who seems overly interested in Hero Must Die. That & Tokyo Xanadu are literally my most anticipated upcoming games.

These need to be in the priority list though.

Almost 100% certain Shallie, Ys8 and Danganronpa V3 will get brought over. But, I don't think any of them will be in 2016 :/.

Am looking forward to almost all of those.

Aterlier Shallie Plus is on the list bit not Atelier Sophie? I'm pretty sure we'll get Sophie this year

btw, Yoru no Nai Kuni already has a western title "Nights of Azure"

Shizuka

Never Alone is no longer coming to Vita.

This one really bums me out. This has been a rough couple of weeks. Most of the indies that dropped support weren't games I wanted, but I really wanted Never Alone.

https://twitter.com/neveralonegame/status/688032756564099072

No reason given right now. I don't know if we can keep tagging Gio Corsi every time a game gets canceled. A little deflated about this one.

I feel like the more publishers and developers cancel their Vita versions, other publishers and developers will feel more comfortable cancelling their Vita versions as well. I feel like it's a snowball.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

HotHamBoy

I feel like the more publishers and developers cancel their Vita versions, other publishers and developers will feel more comfortable cancelling their Vita versions as well. I feel like it's a snowball.

Nah, it's just reading the writing on the wall. A lot of devs just really like the Vita personally, so they want their game on it. But when push comes to shove and you realize it's going to take more resources than you thought to make it work, it's smarter to just scrap it when you're clearly not going to be making enough return on the effort.

RK128

This one really bums me out. This has been a rough couple of weeks. Most of the indies that dropped support weren't games I wanted, but I really wanted Never Alone.

No reason given right now. I don't know if we can keep tagging Gio Corsi every time a game gets canceled. A little deflated about this one.

Edit: They are citing technical challenges.

That is a shame but you win some, you lose some I guess :l. Hope the PS4 version did well for them at the very least.

Nah, it's just reading the writing on the wall. A lot of devs just really like the Vita personally, so they want their game on it. But when push comes to shove and you realize it's going to take more resources than you thought to make it work, it's smarter to just scrap it when you're clearly not going to be making enough return on the effort.

But is that true? Aren't indie games on the Vita successful? Isn't that part of what has defined the system and reestablished its identity as an attractive platform for small developers?

That doesn't make it a good game. It's just.....boring. The gameplay sucks.

I wasn't saying it LOOKED beautiful. Never Alone is interactive folklore. It is more than just the gameplay. I was saying it was a beautiful experience. But we don't have to go back and forth on this. I think Never Alone is a beautiful game that would have shined brightly on the system. I'm sorry that you didn't like it.

While more games would always be great I don't think I'll miss this one. Late ports of games that were on PS+ before are always a weird decision in general imo and I can see why they wouldn't consider it financially viable. I wonder how the PS3 port did and if it has something to do with that.

Go and support and reward the devs who are committed to the Vita and buy Crypt of the Necrodancer and Cosmic Star Heroine when they come out.

There are enough very high quality games coming out that missing out on a few late ports of mediocre games isn't the end of the world.

Prelude.

We have countless examples of devs being very happy, reporting strong Vita sales and calling it a very important sku so there's that. Games can bomb on any platform.
Most of these are just "oh shit, I have no idea how to make it run on a Vita because my team never took it into consideration until now and we can't bruteforce our way around it."

RK128

While more games would always be great I don't think I'll miss this one.

Go and support and reward the devs who are committed to the Vita and buy Crypt of the Necrodancer and Cosmic Star Heroine when they come out.

That is what I plan to do; games that land on Vita from Indies and are great, they are titles we should be supporting if we want more indies on Vita :).

JAW and Oddworld Inhabitants is another good example, as they are honoring the cross-buy system they had in place for New and Tasty when the Vita version launches next week, despite many owning the PS4/PS3 versions through PS+. That is cool of them and I can't wait to play it next Tuesday :).

For some reason I completely missed that the Libra of the Vampire Princess kickstarter has a Vita stretch goal. It's funded now but the Vita version seems out of reach with 70k to go in 4 days

Shizuka

For some reason I completely missed that the Libra of the Vampire Princess kickstarter has a Vita stretch goal. It's funded now but the Vita version seems out of reach with 70k to go in 4 days

I wish the stretch goal was lower. I think they'll still port the game to the Vita, but we won't have a confirmation for a long time.

I wish the stretch goal was lower. I think they'll still port the game to the Vita, but we won't have a confirmation for a long time.
Yeah I would guess now it'll depend on its success on Steam. Would be nice to have it guaranteed though, it's a shame we still have so few VNs coming out on the best VN platform.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Edit: They are citing technical challenges.

I can believe this, it always looked too "ambitious" for an indie game for vita, look at this:
image_gallery_61.jpg

I'm not saying that's not possible on vita, but for an indie developer with little to no experience on vita it could be, i mean even some bigger developers aren't able to make their games to look like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if other "ambitious" looking indie games could end the same way.

I still can't believe we're getting a SaGa game in 2016 and with the same folks behind the previous entries no less (can't wait for that Ito soundtrack). I don't typically like to put huge expectations on games but damn I hope Kawazu and co. knock Scarlet Grace out of the park. I wonder what changes to the battle system Kawazu and co. have in mind since it sounds like they want to distance themselves from the older battle system concepts of their previous games.

Pretty much, it sucks but all the more reasons to support devs that do put their games on the platform (granted that it's something that you wanted to play anyway). For the most part we've been rather lucky with this much sustained support considering the platform's projection.

incpdo

So what's the list of cancelled games so far in 2016?
I know the list of upcomming games is bigger which is good.
If you have the money support the games you like buying them in day one and not waiting for a sale of that game until you buy it. I understand this behaviour but with indies we do like we should talk with our money.
Never alone could be boring for some but for me is a nice little experience I would like to enjoy on my Vita. While i m not happy with this news I understand the reason, I just hope bloodstained dont get cancel for technical difficulties as well because it will finish what gravity rush 2 and type 0 started , breaking my hope in this system. I still have some tho. Please don't break it!!

So what's the list of cancelled games so far in 2016?
I know the list of upcomming games is bigger which is good.
If you have the money support the games you like buying them in day one and not waiting for a sale of that game until you buy it. I understand this behaviour but with indies we do like we should talk with our money.
Never alone could be boring for some but for me is a nice little experience I would like to enjoy on my Vita. While i m not happy with this news I understand the reason, I just hope bloodstained dont get cancel for technical difficulties as well because it will finish what gravity rush 2 and type 0 started , breaking my hope in this system. I still have some tho. Please don't break it!!

Danganronpa and Zero Escape hath not abandoned us. Don't lose hope.
It is a bit ominous for the future of indies though

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It is a bit ominous for the future of indies though
I disagree, man vita owners are really easy to panic, those aren't the first cancelled indie games and won't be the last ones, but despite those cancellations(and other bad things) vita is still here with lots of games coming, damn it's better not to think how even better vita could have been if sony managed it well...

With 1250 titles on the platform now and 250+ titles coming makes the Vita on of the consoles with the biggest library in games.

More games than genesis, saturn, n64, gamecube, xbox, wiiu, dreamcast, gba and 3ds as far as I know.

I feel like the people trying to paint a narrative of doom and gloom in this thread completely overlooked the OP. I mean, when you have games like New n Tasty and Axiom Verge releasing shortly, when Mike Bithell comes out and says Volume Vita was a success days after the launch, when you still have games being announced for the platform like Banner Saga and Grand Kingdom, etc. Oh let's look at this one game that got cancelled and hoist it up as the "all Vita devs are abandoning ship" flag, it is all just silly at best and ignorant at worst.

I feel like the people trying to paint a narrative of doom and gloom in this thread completely overlooked the OP. I mean, when you have games like New n Tasty and Axiom Verge releasing shortly, when Mike Bithell comes out and says Volume Vita was a success days after the launch, when you still have games being announced for the platform like Banner Saga and Grand Kingdom, etc. Oh let's look at this one game that got cancelled and hoist it up as the "all Vita devs are abandoning ship" flag, it is all just silly at best and ignorant at worst.

Banner Saga was announced at PSX 2014, cancelled, and then re-announced. I don't think that counts.

Also, it hasn't just been "one game that got cancelled", it's been a fair run of them in a period of about 3-4 weeks. A few of them higher-profile titles too. It's not complete doom I agree, but it certainly doesn't paint a healthy picture.

RK128

Clearly the indie community is still supporting the Vita, but the cancellations have been more and more noticeable and the year barely started yet. Not a doom and gloom picture but its clear that as more games are PS4/Vita, they run into issues with tech or developmental reasons for games not working on Vita.

Its good that the JP line up this year is so strong, as that will easily make up for whatever indie games get scrapped on Vita.

Kind of surprised how many games are still coming out of Vita. It makes me happy personally, but I can't imagine Vita versions of games generating a substantial amount of revenue.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I guess that some vita owners can't really stay for too long without some doom and gloom, we were happy, without hate and gloom for too much time, we really needed some pointless panic... *facepalm*

Kind of surprised how many games are still coming out of Vita. It makes me happy personally, but I can't imagine Vita versions of games generating a substantial amount of revenue.
Do you think developers do games for charity? Some indie games sold better on vita.

autoduelist

Nah, it's not like some club of followers. These are business decisions, generally independent of one another. Sometimes costs outweigh risks/benefits.

I disagree, man vita owners are really easy to panic, those aren't the first cancelled indie games and won't be the last ones, but despite those cancellations(and other bad things) vita is still here with lots of games coming, damn it's better not to think how even better vita could have been if sony managed it well...

This. We're getting -tons- of games. Don't sweat some cancellations.

Nah, it's not like some club of followers. These are business decisions, generally independent of one another. Sometimes costs outweigh risks/benefits.

This. We're getting -tons- of games. Don't sweat some cancellations.

To me the games that have been cancelled, wasn't the games that I was looking forward to the most. Im pretty sure that you and me both would talk with other words if it instead of these games were Salt & Sanctuary, Darkest Dungeon, Steamworld Heist and Ronin that was cancelled.

Top Bottom