• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

I see a lot of "concern" in Vita threads from people that seemingly love it yet take whatever chance they can get to cast doubt and set unrealistic expectations.
It wasn't well received by the market. So what?
The market has been getting smaller and smaller for dedicated handheld platforms for years. Nintendo isn't immune to this either. If the NX is another dedicated gaming handheld, don't expect it to ever reach DS levels of success. Expect it to sell to the core Nintendo fanbase unless it is something with the flexibility of a smart phone or tablet.

"Sony abandoned Vita" ,"PS4 killed Vita". These are shitty memes that try to muddle the facts. If you ever expected the Vita to set the world on fire, then all I can say is that perception was an ill-informed one. Yet despite that, it has received tremendous support. I'm happy with the diversity and amount of games it has received. It continues to exceed my expectations.

I see a lot of "concern" in Vita threads from people that seemingly love it yet take whatever chance they can get to cast doubt and set unrealistic expectations.
The market has been getting smaller and smaller for dedicated handheld platforms for years. Nintendo isn't immune to this either. If the NX is another dedicated gaming handheld, don't expect it to ever reach DS levels of success. Expect it to sell to the core Nintendo fanbase unless it is something with the flexibility of a smart phone or tablet.

"Sony abandoned Vita" ,"PS4 killed Vita". These are shitty memes that try to muddle the facts. If you ever expected the Vita to set the world on fire, then all I can say is that perception was an ill-informed one. Yet despite that, it has received tremendous support. I'm happy with the diversity and amount of games it has received. It continues to exceed my expectations.

Companies don't kill consoles, people kill consoles. I'm blaming everyone I know, that don't own a Vita ;)

Edit:I also find the V being far from dead

Banner Saga was announced at PSX 2014, cancelled, and then re-announced. I don't think that counts.

Also, it hasn't just been "one game that got cancelled", it's been a fair run of them in a period of about 3-4 weeks. A few of them higher-profile titles too. It's not complete doom I agree, but it certainly doesn't paint a healthy picture.

Uhh, what fair run? Two games, does not constitute a fair run. I remember a couple games getting PS4 release dates but no Vita release dates and a few people assumed that meant they were cancelled even though the devs said nothing to suggest they were. Look at Volume, Bastion, Axiom Verge, and Oddworld. All released on PS4 first, Vita afterwards.

There was one guy in here who named off like 4 games that were supposedly cancelled but some quick Google searches showed that they were jumping to conclusions and those games have not been cancelled.

So, what is this fair run of games that have been cancelled because all I have seen over the past several weeks are games getting release dates and/or announced.

So, what is this fair run of games that have been cancelled because all I have seen over the past several weeks are games getting release dates and/or announced.

If we're calling out each other on exaggerations then "all" you've seen the past several weeks are games getting release dates? ;)

I'd call Banner Saga; Not a Hero and now Never Alone as a "run", especially since they were all for the same "technical reasons" aka it's too much effort to optimise these games.

If you believe that all the PS4 stuff is coming to vita, that'd great. Personally I'm not interested in any of them, but what I'd raise is that the games you listed (Oddworld/Volume) had the devs talking about the Vita version following PS4 launch. Not launching that version and ignoring any questions about the other one. But we'll see.

I think Never Alone is really beautiful.

Yeah, I really liked it. Great addition to the Another World/Heart of Darkness etc lineage, even if it's not the best of the genre. Thought it was beautiful and fun.

Not sure a Vita port would have come out well, though... I kinda believe them even though incentive to try harder is purely financial outlook.

Strike

Never Alone is no longer coming to Vita.

This one really bums me out. This has been a rough couple of weeks. Most of the indies that dropped support weren't games I wanted, but I really wanted Never Alone.

https://twitter.com/neveralonegame/status/688032756564099072

No reason given right now. I don't know if we can keep tagging Gio Corsi every time a game gets canceled. A little deflated about this one.

Edit: They are citing technical challenges.
Shame. It wasn't even on my radar, but I was considering giving it a shot once I heard it was coming to Vita.

Ponn

Banned

Given the PSP's track record I think it was silly to have any type of high expectations for the Vita. I do think its possible to love the Vita though and be able to say Sony abandoned it, very very early causing third parties to shy away quickly. I don't feel thats an outrageous or unbelievable claim at all. they pulled a Sega. Still has great games but it was never destined to have triple A games and to expect third parties to support it when sony was treating it like their red-headed stepchild was unrealistic. As a niche system its wonderful for a couple different groups, the indie lovers and the jrpg lovers.

Clive

Given the PSP's track record I think it was silly to have any type of high expectations for the Vita. I do think its possible to love the Vita though and be able to say Sony abandoned it, very very early causing third parties to shy away quickly. I don't feel thats an outrageous or unbelievable claim at all. they pulled a Sega. Still has great games but it was never destined to have triple A games and to expect third parties to support it when sony was treating it like their red-headed stepchild was unrealistic. As a niche system its wonderful for a couple different groups, the indie lovers and the jrpg lovers.

Have you seen the PSP library? Sports, racing, adventure, action, shooters, GTA, first party, third party, actually good JRPGs without panties, exclusive Metal Gears and several of them, SRPGs, exclusives, big franchises etc.

What the Vita has is indies but the PSP had big games, popular games and many of them. We had good reasons to expect more from the Vita based on the PSP.

Have you seen the PSP library? Sports, racing, adventure, action, shooters, GTA, first party, third party, actually good JRPGs without panties, SRPGs, exclusives, big franchises etc.

What the Vita has is indies but the PSP had big games, popular games and many of them. We had good reasons to expect more from the Vita based on the PSP.

This.

autoduelist

I'd call Banner Saga; Not a Hero and now Never Alone as a "run", especially since they were all for the same "technical reasons" aka it's too much effort to optimise these games.

But Banner Saga is back on, right? So that leaves 2. And even if it was, say, 4 in a month, big deal, we get tons of announcements too. If people didn't fall over backwards looking for doom and gloom in the vita landscape, a couple cancellations wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Shizuka

...of being fantastic.

188.gif

Ponn

Banned
Have you seen the PSP library? Sports, racing, adventure, action, shooters, GTA, first party, third party, actually good JRPGs without panties, SRPGs, exclusives, big franchises etc.

Not going to turn this thread into a pissing contest so last post about the topic. I was a day one psp owner and a day one vita owner so no need to try and "educate" me about the libraries. PSP had some great titles at the beginning then floundered with KH Birth by Sleep being the late dark horse. Vita also had some big games at first trying to sell it with console games, Uncharted, Gravity Rush,Killzone, MvsC3, SF vs. Tekken, etc. It's very comparable even with a late SE entry of World of FF (though it won't be a Birth by Sleep). Given how PSP trailed off at the end and scared support away with piracy we actually had no reason to expect more from Vita, in fact the opposite. What's missing comparing the two is Sony's continued support of the psp platform through its life (Gran Turismo, 2 GoW titles, Patapon) and the lack of with Vita.

I was a day one psp owner and a day one vita owner so no need to try and "educate" me about the libraries.
Given you think the PSP somehow set a decidedly bad playing field for the Vita despite definitive success in basically every department for the bulk of the time it was on the shelf (falling off as smart phones rose to prominence, of course) indicates to me that clearly you do need some sort of educating.

Mind blowing how people can look at something so fantastic as the PSP's library and say it "floundered".

Olengie

I was an early PSP adopter. I didn't have a lot of games for a while though...I was really into UMD Movies back then.

Is Grisaia really still in approval hell? Are we at least getting Muv Luv?

All they keep saying is wait for more information.

Didn't say anything about Muv Luv. But yes, we are getting Muv Luv, though the physical version was only limited to the Kickstarter atm.

Ponn

Banned
Given you think the PSP somehow set a decidedly bad playing field for the Vita despite definitive success in basically every department for the bulk of the time it was on the shelf (falling off as smart phones rose to prominence, of course) indicates to me that clearly you do need some sort of educating.

Mind blowing how people can look at something so fantastic as the PSP's library and say it "floundered".

B!$#% I preordered Death Jr. Educate away.

Clive

B!$#% I preordered Death Jr. Educate away.

I can remind you of some games.

2 exclusive God of Wars
4-6 exclusive Metal Gears
2 exclusive GTAs (later ported to PS2) and one multiplat
1 exclusive Kingdom Hearts
Crisis Core Final Fantasy
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Darkstalkers
Blazblue
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Dissidia + 012
Jeanne d'Arc
Multiple exclusive Monster Hunters
Outrun 2006
ZHP
Gods Eater Burst
Lunar remake
Patapon 1-3
Good Ridge Racer
Wild Arms XF
Disgaea games
Multiple Persona remakes
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics remake
Wipeout x2
Burnout x2
Multiple Need For Speed
Gran Turismo
LocoRoco 1+2
Phantasy Star Portable 1+2
The Sims
The 3rd birthday
Many more sports games
Many more anime games
Many Star Wars games
X-Men: Legends
2x Capcom Collections and SEGA Genesis Collection
Tekken
MotorStorm
Four SOCOM games
Two Syphon Filter games
Killzone Liberation
A good Resistance game
The Warriors
An exclusive Assassin's Creed game
Midnight Club
WWE
LBP
Dante's Inferno
Castlevania Dracula X
Two exclusive Valkyria Chronicles (only one official localization though)
Three Ys games
Two Mega Man remakes
Clank
Daxter
Jak & Daxter
Star Ocean times two
Two localized Tales of games
The arguably best version of Final Fantasy IV
Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
NHL
Dungeon Siege
Prinny x2
Harvest Moon
Kenka Bancho
Metal Slug Anthology
Multiple Silent Hill games
Brave Story
Ace Combat
Dept. Heaven series
Power Stone Collection
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky SC
Brandish
Summon Night 5
Multiple Tomb Raider
Crimson Gem Saga
Hexyz Force
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Gradius Collection

and Sony's support right until the year the Vita launched.

I have also not been anywhere near scraping the bottom of the barrel and only picked games generally seen as good with some extra focus on RPGs. Many well known franchises too. The PSP also had more noteworthy Japanese-exclusive games and some of these are now fan translated but let's treat that as an aside.

It should also be mentioned that while the Vita does have a few big games, they often came out after they did on other platforms and the Vita was the worst way to experience them. I was thrilled to play Ghost of Sparda and Chains of Olympus on the PSP while God of War Collection on the Vita felt completely uninteresting since I had already played them numerous times as a fan of the series. I was already done with UMvC3 when it came to the Vita.

The Vita is awesome and has many good games but it doesn't have anywhere near as many big games as the PSP. It's also frankly insulting that we can't play some of the big PS1 games on the Vita when it wasn't an issue on the PSP. I have personally been forced to tell people who want to buy a Vita for PS1 Classics to buy a PSP instead. Crash and Spyro are among the most wanted games to play on a handheld it seems.

The Vita also completely lacks noteworthy exclusives. It has the one selling point of portability and frankly, it isn't very portable.

Tl;dr: the PSP had many games in popular franchises as well as a few new noteworthy IPs. The Vita started out fine in year 1 but jumped off a cliff afterwards.

redcrayon

The Vita also completely lacks noteworthy exclusives. It has the one selling point of portability and frankly, it isn't very portable.

Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'isn't very portable'? My slim model has travelled with me for three hours a day on the train, almost every day for the last two years. I bought a nice case and a USB charger for it, and it's still in good condition and has never run out of power on me. its so light compared to carrying a book or an iPad that sometimes I forget it's there. If you don't carry a bag for work, then sure, it doesn't fit in your pocket, but then most portables don't if you want to look after them.

VLiberty

Uhh, what fair run? Two games, does not constitute a fair run. I remember a couple games getting PS4 release dates but no Vita release dates and a few people assumed that meant they were cancelled even though the devs said nothing to suggest they were. Look at Volume, Bastion, Axiom Verge, and Oddworld. All released on PS4 first, Vita afterwards.

There was one guy in here who named off like 4 games that were supposedly cancelled but some quick Google searches showed that they were jumping to conclusions and those games have not been cancelled.

I'm that guy and as I said it's a different situation. All the games you've mentioned were always slated for a Vita release, developers made clear that they were still coming, which is not the case for Fenix Rage/Furia and Klaus, which dropped any menion of the Vita version altogether. And Shadow Blade went from "officially announced" to "we're considering it".
And, well, Not a Hero.

EDIT: I didn't know about Never Alone...welp

and please guys stop comparing PSP and Vita.

Ponn

Banned
I can remind you of some games.

2 exclusive God of Wars
4-6 exclusive Metal Gears
2 exclusive GTAs (later ported to PS2) and one multiplat
1 exclusive Kingdom Hearts
Crisis Core Final Fantasy
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Darkstalkers
Blazblue
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Dissidia + 012
Jeanne d'Arc
Multiple exclusive Monster Hunters
Outrun 2006
ZHP
Gods Eater Burst
Lunar remake
Patapon 1-3
Good Ridge Racer
Wild Arms XF
Disgaea games
Multiple Persona remakes
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics remake
Wipeout x2
Burnout x2
Multiple Need For Speed
Gran Turismo
LocoRoco 1+2
Phantasy Star Portable 1+2
The Sims
The 3rd birthday
Many more sports games
Many more anime games
Many Star Wars games
X-Men: Legends
2x Capcom Collections and SEGA Genesis Collection
Tekken
MotorStorm
Four SOCOM games
Two Syphon Filter games
Killzone Liberation
A good Resistance game
The Warriors
An exclusive Assassin's Creed game
Midnight Club
WWE
LBP
Dante's Inferno
Castlevania Dracula X
Two exclusive Valkyria Chronicles (only one official localization though)
Three Ys games
Two Mega Man remakes
Clank
Daxter
Jak & Daxter
Star Ocean times two
Two localized Tales of games
The arguably best version of Final Fantasy IV
Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
NHL
Dungeon Siege
Prinny x2
Harvest Moon
Kenka Bancho
Metal Slug Anthology
Multiple Silent Hill games
Brave Story
Ace Combat
Dept. Heaven series
Power Stone Collection
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky SC
Brandish
Summon Night 5
Multiple Tomb Raider
Crimson Gem Saga
Hexyz Force
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Gradius Collection

and Sony's support right until the year the Vita launched.

I have also not been anywhere near scraping the bottom of the barrel and only picked games generally seen as good with some extra focus on RPGs. Many well known franchises too. The PSP also had more noteworthy Japanese-exclusive games and some of these are now fan translated but let's treat that as an aside.

It should also be mentioned that while the Vita does have a few big games, they often came out after they did on other platforms and the Vita was the worst way to experience them. I was thrilled to play Ghost of Sparda and Chains of Olympus on the PSP while God of War Collection on the Vita felt completely uninteresting since I had already played them numerous times as a fan of the series. I was already done with UMvC3 when it came to the Vita.

The Vita is awesome and has many good games but it doesn't have anywhere near as many big games as the PSP. It's also frankly insulting that we can't play some of the big PS1 games on the Vita when it wasn't an issue on the PSP. I have personally been forced to tell people who want to buy a Vita for PS1 Classics to buy a PSP instead. Crash and Spyro are among the most wanted games to play on a handheld it seems.

Tl;dr: the PSP had many games in popular franchises as well as a few new noteworthy IPs. The Vita started out fine in year 1 but jumped off a cliff afterwards.

I don't even know what you two are arguing about at this point. I never said the PSP had a bad library. It's my favorite game console library. Stop being defensive and re-read what I wrote specifically.

I don't even know what you two are arguing about at this point. I never said the PSP had a bad library. It's my favorite game console library. Stop being defensive and re-read what I wrote specifically.

That was in regards to what you specifically said though? You can not seriously believe that PSP had a "bad track record" or that it "floundered" just because it was on it's way out by the time it's last high profile release was coming out. No shit it was doing worse at the end than at the beginning, every single console does this.

This is an asinine discussion though and is clearly not getting anywhere. Comparing PSP to Vita is like comparing PS2 to anything that came after it, you can not look at the predecessor and seriously believe "ya, that didn't create high expectations for the next one".

Would be nice to get back to talking about the Vita and not getting into list wars or whining that everyone is abandoning the Vita this year, when we're only halfway into the first month and barely anything has been said yet.

Have you seen the PSP library? Sports, racing, adventure, action, shooters, GTA, first party, third party, actually good JRPGs without panties, exclusive Metal Gears and several of them, SRPGs, exclusives, big franchises etc.

There are great JRPGs that don't involve 'panties' as you so derisively put it. P4G, Trails, Ys, Muramasa, Oreshika, FFX, Brandish. I could keep going. Vita is lacking western third party support, sure, but there are tons of great Japanese games in a variety of genres, and tons of independently developed games.

HotHamBoy

Vita-only Games I have thoroughly enjoyed (going to include enhanced ports as some are significant to thoe that enjoy them):

Lumines Electronic Symphony
Earth Defense Force 2017 (I haven't gotten EDF2 yet but you might as well put it on the list, too)
Persona 4 Golden
Monster Monpiece (a huge surprise, great gameplay despite awful presentation and (poor) ecchi art)
TxK
Killzone: Mercenary
Unit 13
Muramasa Rebirth
WipeOut 2048
Soul Sacrific Delta

Vita-only games I really need to play but haven't yet:
Persona Dancing All Night
DangonRonpa 2 (playing 1 right now)
LittleBigPlanet Vita
Ys: MoC
Superbeat Xonic

Now I'm not saying that's a big list of exclusives by any means, and it lost some exclusives to the PS4 (Tearaway, Gravity Rush, etc) but it's more than two or three. What's more, there are a ton of games (and more than just indies) that may also be available on PS3, or PS4, or even PC, but I much prefer playing on my Vita. And if you don't have one of those other platforms then those games might as well be exclusives. There's still a lot of games that are only on PS3/Vita, like Dengeki Bunko and Arcana Heart, Rocket Birds or the myriad JRPGs, and if you don't have a PS3 then the Vita now has a much larger catalogue of "exclusives."

I also never had a PSP, so I have a massive catalogue to go through. I'm not saying that being able to play the games of older systems gets Sony off the hook, but it certainly raises the Vita's value.

Positive vibes homies, positive vibes. Vita has a lot of great games coming this year regardless of some cancellations, let's get the thread back on track.

Is Exorcism still coming to Vita? It fell under the radar for a lot of folks but I haven't heard much on development of the game since it was announced. Also if you're still on the fence about Nuclear Throne or CotND, I highly encourage you to give it a shot. They're some fantastic games.

Also SwapQuest is coming to Vita, looks charming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0Ex7FAeQs

I'm that guy and as I said it's a different situation. All the games you've mentioned were always slated for a Vita release, developers made clear that they were still coming, which is not the case for Fenix Rage/Furia and Klaus, which dropped any menion of the Vita version altogether. And Shadow Blade went from "officially announced" to "we're considering it".
And, well, Not a Hero.

EDIT: I didn't know about Never Alone...welp

and please guys stop comparing PSP and Vita.
Not mentioning does not equal cancellation. We heard nothing of New and Tasty for months and here it is launching next week. None of those games you quoted we're officially canceled.

Both Deemo: The Last Recital and Atelier Escha & Logy Plus were shipped today.

Got my shipping notice for E&L as well. I suppose it's more for my wife than me, at the moment, since I haven't even finished the Arland trilogy yet, but I couldn't pass up getting the game physically.

Shizuka

I'm floored at how many community GOTY awards Resident Evil Revelations 2 for the Vita won. That goes to show how many gamers were expecting AAA games for the platform and how little other games know about the real library the Vita has.

Prelude.

I'm floored at how many community GOTY awards Resident Evil Revelations 2 for the Vita won. That goes to show how many gamers were expecting AAA games for the platform and how little other games know about the real library the Vita has.
Did you watch Bluemaxima's recent video about GOTY lists? It's embarrassing.
Game "journalism" is a joke.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not talking about the winners and stuff, GOTY lists are pointless, but they make pretty evident they have NO IDEA what's on the platform.

How did that game win anything with how shit tier the port was lol? Just terrible if people are willing to stoop down that low just because it's a known "high profile" release and pass over literally everything else due to being niche or indie. I mean I honestly can't see it unless someone only played that single game for the year.

Prelude.

How did that game win anything with how shit tier the port was lol? Just terrible if people are willing to stoop down that low just because it's a known high profile release and pass over literally everything else due to being niche or indie.
Because 99% of the people that voted it, didn't play it on Vita.
If you see a list of indies, 1-2 japanese games you never heard before and RE, you vote RE.

Speaking of Digimon, Play-Asia recently put up the proper Asian English box art.
http://i.imgur.com/lxBF0KE.jpg[img]
I love when there's no age rating cluttering things up. So clean~[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, today I learned that the [URL="https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/688355466641051649"]memory card logo isn't necessary[/URL].
Is it a SCEA-only thing?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Because 99% of the people that voted it, didn't play it on Vita.
If you see a list of indies, 1-2 japanese games you never heard before and RE, you vote RE.

Yea, if you are into the Vita eco system, you pretty much have to be into the smaller more obscure titles. RE is the only big name on the console for a long while.

Shizuka

Edit: Oh, and I'm not talking about the winners and stuff, GOTY lists are pointless, but they make pretty evident they have NO IDEA what's on the platform.

Yes, GOTY lists are almost always garbage, but the ones I've seen RER2 win were community GOTY polls. That's why I feel like your mainstream gamer won't know any other game of the list and vote for the one he knows, even though he probably doesn't know the port is garbage.

I made sure to negotiate that Steins;Gate would take the Vita GOTY award for the website I write for, even if the community voted otherwise.

Holy hell I just watched his video...jesus that is sad. It's like these people didn't play anything other than well know franchises or mobile.

Clive

Honestly, the Vita had indies, visual novels, rhythm games, niche JRPGs, LEGO and Resident Evil: Revelations 2 last year (slight exaggeration but yeah).

I'm not the slightest surprised that Revelations 2 won because the other genres/whatever are all pretty limited in their reach. The Vita had one mainstream game and it won. Can't speak for others but I thought it was among the best Vita games released last year and I did play it on the Vita. The port isn't perfect but it runs fine for the most part. Refreshing with a shooter of decent budget on the Vita too.

nillah

Banned
Just got back from Bestbuy and didn't have SHIT for the VITA. Played an OctoDad demo and that really displayed the units capability. Real interesting game and unit

Just got back from Bestbuy and didn't have SHIT for the VITA. Played an OctoDad demo and that really displayed the units capability. Real interesting game and unit

Most retail stores purged any Vita stock they had within the last year or so, except online in a few cases (Bestbuy/Gamestop).

I'm not the slightest surprised that Revelations 2 won because they other genres/whatever are all pretty limited in their reach. The Vita had one mainstream game and it won. Can't speak for others but I thought it was among the best Vita games released last year and I did play it on the Vita. The port isn't perfect but it runs fine for the most part. Refreshing with a shooter of decent budget on the Vita too.

It wasn't really how it ran that was the issue, so much as what it looked like. People expected it to be a higher budget port and not thrown to a small company (that really had no business attempting to port it) and turning it into something that looks as bad as it does.

Top Bottom